frenchiveruti

Re: Tested, error message child failed with code 1

#1891 Post by frenchiveruti »

BarryK wrote:
frenchiveruti wrote: Hi!
Here's the error:

Code: Select all

# ec-chroot buster easy
gtk-update-icon-cache: Cache file created successfully.
Generating /root/.icewm/menu...
Generating /root/.jwmrc...
Generating /root/.jwmrc3...
Executing: DISPLAY=:0  pflask  --keepenv --mount=tmp:/tmp --no-netns  --caps=all --no-userns --chroot=/mnt/sda7/EasyOS/containers/buster/container --  /.control/ec-run buster easy

[✘] Child failed with code '1'
Unmounting: /mnt/sda7/EasyOS/containers/buster/container
Unmounting: /mnt/sda7/EasyOS/containers/buster/.ro0
Container buster stopped
Ah, I see that you have modified the security settings, that is what has broken it. I am running Easy Pyro 1.2.3 right now, so it has the "pyro" icon on desktop. If I run this:

# ec-chroot pyro easy
Executing: DISPLAY=:1  pflask --mount=bind:/mnt/sda2/home/shared:/mnt/wkg/home/shared --keepenv --mount=bind:/tmp/.X11-unix/X1:/tmp/.X11-unix/X1 --no-ipcns --no-netns --mount=bind:/dev/snd:/dev/snd --mount=bind:/dev/mixer:/dev/mixer --caps=all,-sys_admin,-sys_boot,-sys_chroot,-sys_ptrace,-sys_time,-sys_tty_config,-chown,-kill,-dac_override,-dac_read_search,-fowner,-setfcap,-setpcap,-net_admin,-mknod,-sys_module,-sys_nice,-sys_resource --no-userns --chroot=/mnt/sda2/containers/pyro/container --  /.control/ec-run pyro easy
You can restore the default security settings. Go to menu Filesystem -> Easy Container Management, in the "Manage" frame choose "buster" in the dropdown list, and the security settings will be reset to the defaults -- there is also a "Reset" button for this. Then click "Update and exit" button.

Not sure if I tested this, but it should work.
Hello, same error after resetting the settings.

Executing: DISPLAY=:0  pflask  --keepenv --mount=tmp:/tmp --no-netns  --caps=all --no-userns --chroot=/mnt/sda7/EasyOS/containers/buster/container --  /.control/ec-run buster easy
Container buster stopped

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1892 Post by BarryK »

frenchiveruti wrote:
BarryK wrote:
frenchiveruti wrote: Hi!
Here's the error:

# ec-chroot buster easy

Container buster stopped
Ah, I see that you have modified the security settings, that is what has broken it. I am running Easy Pyro 1.2.3 right now, so it has the "pyro" icon on desktop. If I run this:

# ec-chroot pyro easy
Executing: DISPLAY=:1  pflask --mount=bind:/mnt/sda2/home/shared:/mnt/wkg/home/shared --keepenv --mount=bind:/tmp/.X11-unix/X1:/tmp/.X11-unix/X1 --no-ipcns --no-netns --mount=bind:/dev/snd:/dev/snd --mount=bind:/dev/mixer:/dev/mixer --caps=all,-sys_admin,-sys_boot,-sys_chroot,-sys_ptrace,-sys_time,-sys_tty_config,-chown,-kill,-dac_override,-dac_read_search,-fowner,-setfcap,-setpcap,-net_admin,-mknod,-sys_module,-sys_nice,-sys_resource --no-userns --chroot=/mnt/sda2/containers/pyro/container --  /.control/ec-run pyro easy
You can restore the default security settings. Go to menu Filesystem -> Easy Container Management, in the "Manage" frame choose "buster" in the dropdown list, and the security settings will be reset to the defaults -- there is also a "Reset" button for this. Then click "Update and exit" button.

Container buster stopped
This " --caps=all" tells me that security settings have not been reset. can you post /mnt/wkg/containers/buster/configuration, that has the security settings.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

tom22251

wireless network-managers & running EASY in memory only

#1893 Post by tom22251 »

To Barry & all,
regarding wireless network-managers.

My best experience hands down is with PeasyWifi (PWF).

After trying out all of the others in the last 2 years
sns, frisbee, super-sns, nm-tui, etc. this is the fastest and most consistent little program.
It always works, even if I remove all the other managers.

So why it is not included in EASY OS ?
Besides it's created by rcrsn51, old community member,
a so called inhouse effort.
Unfortunately I just discovered it only early this year.
On my DELL 4x Intel core i5 CPU desktop machine,
I have frugally installed all the different versions
of EASY, and PWF works the best on each.
And it looks good too.
So congratulations and thank you rcrsn51, and Barry
hopefully you consider including PWF too.
By the way EASY 2.1.6 is working very well.

And for those interested in running EASY in memory only:

let's say our USB drive is sda1 with ext3,
and is labeld LINUX. We copy easy.sfs,
initrd and vmlinuz toa folder named EASY-216.

If we edit BOOT_SPECS like this:

BOOT_LABEL='LINUX'
BOOT_DIR='EASY-216/'
WKG_LABEL='EASYOSZRAM'
WKG_DIR=''
INIT_LANG='en_US.UTF-8'

it will always run in memory and we can unplug the usb.

We can even save our changes by creating a simple
save script "save":

cd /mnt/sdc2/EASY216/
cp -a /mnt/wkg/.session/* SAVE
sync
exit

At each start up we copy our saved changes by
an other script "updt":

cd /mnt/sdc2/EASY216/
cp -a SAVE/* /
sync
restartwm
exit

I know it's very crude, but it works.

Regards,
Tom

Argolance

#1894 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
tom22251 wrote:My best experience hands down is with PeasyWifi (PWF).

sns, frisbee, super-sns, nm-tui, etc. this is the fastest and most consistent little program.
It always works, even if I remove all the other managers.

So why it is not included in EASY OS ?
I have also seen the same thing more than once. That's why I chose PeasyWifi for ToOpPy. This little application, unlike the others, has never failed me! I am surprised that it has not at least been added to the Easy OS available applications...

Cordialement.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1895 Post by BarryK »

BarryK wrote:
frenchiveruti wrote:
BarryK wrote: Ah, I see that you have modified the security settings, that is what has broken it. I am running Easy Pyro 1.2.3 right now, so it has the "pyro" icon on desktop. If I run this:

# ec-chroot pyro easy

Container buster stopped
This " --caps=all" tells me that security settings have not been reset. can you post /mnt/wkg/containers/buster/configuration, that has the security settings.
I have discovered bugs in Easy Container Management, it is not writing the 'configuration' file correctly.

Will fix it asap.

EDIT:
OK, fixed. see attachment. Remove the false ".gz" and replace /usr/local/easy_containers/easy-containers
Attachments
easy-containers.gz
Remove false .gz
(24.55 KiB) Downloaded 119 times

oui

Re: wireless network-managers & running EASY in memory only

#1896 Post by oui »

Hi Tom
tom22251 wrote:To Barry & all,
regarding wireless network-managers.

My best experience hands down is with PeasyWifi (PWF).

It is in my eyes very important to admit that the conditions and usages of each Operatin System are very different: Each person would better have an individual system, why not? Some distro promise somewhat so...

I did never have some problem with the simple connection wizard!

Same thing with rox

or Seamonkey

etc...

But I did have unsolutionnable problem with Peasy connection stuff in a derivate having only this stuff preinstalled. It did not recognize my LAN (it is really rare) and it was not possible to connect with LAN or WIFI. and as there was no other connection's tool in that derivate no chance to amend the situation...

Creators of derivate are often proud to eliminate goodies from Puppy; erase rox, seamonkey, simple connection wizard, mTpaint etc.

But they don't better Puppy: They only show that they are not willing to learn how to work effective with those tools...

rcrsn51

Re: wireless network-managers & running EASY in memory only

#1897 Post by rcrsn51 »

oui wrote:But I did have unsolutionnable problem with Peasy connection stuff in a derivate having only this stuff preinstalled. It did not recognize my LAN (it is really rare) and it was not possible to connect with LAN or WIFI. and as there was no other connection's tool in that derivate no chance to amend the situation...
It's more likely that the problem was due to a lack of drivers in this derivative, not with the connection manager.

Did you check by running "dmesg"?

Did you report the problem?

tom22251

PeasyWifi in EasyOS

#1898 Post by tom22251 »

Hi Oui,
you are right:

"conditions and usages of each Operating System
are very different...
"

but I was writing strictly about my experience with
PeasyWifi in EasyOS, both Pyro and Buster.
And as the name suggests, it was designed specifically
for wireless connections, although it works well with
ethernet too. And as the author himself: rcrsn51,
said, the distro you are using likely is missing
some drivers.

Try EASY-1.2.5 or 2.1.6, both are exellent.

Bye

lp-dolittle

running EasyOS in RAM

#1899 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ tom22251

Hi tom22251,

thank you for paying attention to the running totally in RAM option in EasyOS!
Alas, I so far did not manage to successfully apply your method, maybe because I do not fully understand your instructions.

After copying easy.sfs, initrid and vmlinuz to a folder 'EASY_216' in an external drive (IDE HD) with only one ext3 partition (labelled LINUX), I edited and changed the BOOT_SPECS in the copied initrid, according to your instructions, but the drive fails to boot.

As for a save option, you mention a sdc2 partition. Where should this partition be? On a second external drive?

And finally, what about the UEFI-capability of your 'so-called' sda1-drive?
In Barry's EasyOS, some vital directories always need to be present in a fat partition or to be integrated in an iso-file

I would be very thankful for some additional explanation

kind regards

lp-dolittle

scsijon

nma vs nmtui and 1.2.7.

#1900 Post by scsijon »

Barry,

The only thing I don't like about the new applet is that it doesn't show the rx/tx figures so you don't know what your load is like at any time.

Could you add some note on what would need changing to use the nmtui until this can be incorperated (please) as others like me that use satellite need to watch these figures carefully.

1.2.7 is downloading at the moment, after testing I shall use your notes and build a few apps I use, but where do you want them noted as completed? Downloads will as usual be via my website under
> puppy > easy >

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: nma vs nmtui and 1.2.7.

#1901 Post by BarryK »

scsijon wrote:Barry,

The only thing I don't like about the new applet is that it doesn't show the rx/tx figures so you don't know what your load is like at any time.

Could you add some note on what would need changing to use the nmtui until this can be incorperated (please) as others like me that use satellite need to watch these figures carefully.

1.2.7 is downloading at the moment, after testing I shall use your notes and build a few apps I use, but where do you want them noted as completed? Downloads will as usual be via my website under
> puppy > easy >
Well, I could patch the source again, of network-manager-applet (executable is 'nm-applet'), to display log of tx/rx when mouse-over.

You might be interested to know that the tx/rx logs are in /var/local/sns (even though using NetworkManager, not SNS).

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1902 Post by BarryK »

Easy Pyro 1.2.7 and Buster 2.1.7 are out:

https://bkhome.org/news/201910/easy-pyr ... eased.html

I haven't looked at PeasyWifi yet, will do that soon.

Regarding wifi with the NetworkManager and nm-applet, which are defaults in latest Easy, I am running Pyro 1.2.6 and now 1.2.7 on my laptop, and wifi connection is flawless.

I will run Buster 2.1.7 on the laptop, to compare, see if there are issues. A difference is that the packages in Pyro are compiled by me, those in Buster are official Debian DEBs -- so if it turns out that there are wifi issues, I can resort to compiling packages.

@frenchiveruti
I think that the new releases have fixed the problem you reported.

Sage

#1903 Post by Sage »

Pyro127 & Buster217 running OK. SM exceedingly slow in Buster (don't mean the initial setup as per on-screen advisory). On both, to get Qsync for Web timeset advisable to have working wifi if no wired RJ connection before completing the setup routine and restarting X. Perhaps that option could precede display of Setup panel? Good to see Perth now shows as default location - could it be set thus in other places?
The default sound setting is still too low to hear the woofwoof unless hifi already connected and switched on - this is really irritating when using the USB stick to check, diagnose and repair HWs, which is my main use for both.
Since Pyro still best option and most reliable for my use would still appreciate an .iso to be available - one was offered a few iterations back - you'd be amazed how much ancient kit I still encounter and requested to fix!

Rodney Byne

Fixes for SFS Get & Easy containers

#1904 Post by Rodney Byne »

To Barry,

please clarify what you mean by this extract;

"In Easy Container Management, changing security settings
to defaults was not working quite right.
In SFSget, if download a SFS and choose to install in one of the
pre-existing containers (ex: www, console, buster),
the install did not work -- fixed"

I wasn't aware that you could install more than one program app
at a time into one container, unless I totally misunderstand.

You write "ex", do you mean eg?
Or do you mean that www, console & buster have previously
been discreetly removed from each individual container
and that leaves the container empty
awaiting a different downloaded SFS?

I had previously read from forum that users' own SFSs
could not be installed - only your prescribed and downloaded
apps from your own repository are permitted.
Does that diktat still stand, as there doesn't seem to be
simple practical explanations as to how one can
install and run their own SFSs in an empty container?

BTW, that complicated Security Options applet to me
is incomprehensible.

Bemused doesn't cover it for this simpleton Barry.
Thanks, regards, Rodney.

Terry H

#1905 Post by Terry H »

Updated USB install of Easy 1.2.5 to 1.2.7. All went well. It was also the first install of easy I have on this USB drive where version control has occurred. The rollback is set to 3 and this was the 4th iteration, so the original 1.2 has been deleted. This easy version running very smoothly.

Thanks for the continued work on the easy pyro branch.

One very minor quirk I am seeing is the network icon in the tray is intermittently changing and flashing from the 'globe to screen' icon to display as a 'stepped columns' icon for very short durations. As wifi works well and I have no wifi issues I have only used whatever the default network management application is. I have not played with network management. Just reporting for information.

Another issue occurred whilst attempting to get a screeny image, this led to me to identify another issue. Separate post to follow.

Terry H

#1906 Post by Terry H »

In attempting to get a screen capture of the flashing icon change mentioned in previous post I attempted to get screenshots using screeny. I set to capture full screen to show the tray. When I viewed the output the images, they are all tilted and shown in monochrome. Screen capture of window only is OK, it is in colour and not distorted.

Dell laptop Core i5- 5200U processor.
Attachments
capture20565.png
(146.31 KiB) Downloaded 380 times

scsijon

#1907 Post by scsijon »

Terry H wrote:In attempting to get a screen capture of the flashing icon change mentioned in previous post I attempted to get screenshots using screeny. I set to capture full screen to show the tray. When I viewed the output the images, they are all tilted and shown in monochrome. Screen capture of window only is OK, it is in colour and not distorted.

Dell laptop Core i5- 5200U processor.
Terry,

Try again with the browser set in full window size, it should be ok then, I wrote about this fix earlier but for referance, it seems that screeny doesn't like odd sizes, if you set it to one of the video drivers resolution matrix's it usually saves correctly, it's just if you try a non-matrix it fails. ie 1280x1024/960, 1680x1050, 1024x768 should be ok, setting it for a part screen will fail unless it's an acceptable resolution to your video card.
Last edited by scsijon on Tue 22 Oct 2019, 00:31, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1908 Post by BarryK »

Sage wrote:Pyro127 & Buster217 running OK. SM exceedingly slow in Buster (don't mean the initial setup as per on-screen advisory). On both, to get Qsync for Web timeset advisable to have working wifi if no wired RJ connection before completing the setup routine and restarting X. Perhaps that option could precede display of Setup panel? Good to see Perth now shows as default location - could it be set thus in other places?
The default sound setting is still too low to hear the woofwoof unless hifi already connected and switched on - this is really irritating when using the USB stick to check, diagnose and repair HWs, which is my main use for both.
Since Pyro still best option and most reliable for my use would still appreciate an .iso to be available - one was offered a few iterations back - you'd be amazed how much ancient kit I still encounter and requested to fix!
Regarding Qsync, if no Internet connection when you set it up, it won't matter -- at next bootup it will kick in correctly.

Regarding sound level, I could change the default. Currently it is 75%

There is an iso for 1.2.7 and for 2.1.7.

scsijon

Re: nma vs nmtui and 1.2.7.

#1909 Post by scsijon »

BarryK wrote:
scsijon wrote:Barry,

> puppy > easy >
Well, I could patch the source again, of network-manager-applet (executable is 'nm-applet'), to display log of tx/rx when mouse-over.

You might be interested to know that the tx/rx logs are in /var/local/sns (even though using NetworkManager, not SNS).
Yes please, it's one of the few bugbears I have to deal with (running out of my allowance before an end of month, extra capacity is expensive).

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Fixes for SFS Get & Easy containers

#1910 Post by BarryK »

Rodney Byne wrote:To Barry,

please clarify what you mean by this extract;

"In Easy Container Management, changing security settings
to defaults was not working quite right.
In SFSget, if download a SFS and choose to install in one of the
pre-existing containers (ex: www, console, buster),
the install did not work -- fixed"

I wasn't aware that you could install more than one program app
at a time into one container, unless I totally misunderstand.

You write "ex", do you mean eg?
Or do you mean that www, console & buster have previously
been discreetly removed from each individual container
and that leaves the container empty
awaiting a different downloaded SFS?

I had previously read from forum that users' own SFSs
could not be installed - only your prescribed and downloaded
apps from your own repository are permitted.
Does that diktat still stand, as there doesn't seem to be
simple practical explanations as to how one can
install and run their own SFSs in an empty container?

BTW, that complicated Security Options applet to me
is incomprehensible.

Bemused doesn't cover it for this simpleton Barry.
Thanks, regards, Rodney.
A container is a aufs layered filesystem, easy.sfs on the bottom, a read-write folder on top. But any SFSs can be inserted between them.

It may not always be appropriate to do so, but in the case of the "console" container, which just runs as a terminal window, having extra SFS means that whatever is in it can be execute by the terminal. So if the 'devx' SFS is a layer in the container, then gcc etc, all the tools needed for compiling, are available in the "console" container terminal.

So the 'console" container is not changed, it is still there, but when you click on "console" icon on the desktop, it will start with the extra 'devx' SFS in it, hence you will be able to compile source packages.