Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 17 Aug 2019, 19:18
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
EasyOS 2.0, August 7, 2019
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 106 of 114 [1702 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, ..., 112, 113, 114 Next
rufwoof

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jul 2019, 12:31    Post subject:  

You might be interested in this Barry http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1032203#1032203
What I've done is to set fatdog initrd's init to /bin/sh if a baseshell kernel boot parameter is included, that /bin/sh occurs just before work otherwise starts on preparing/loading the main sfs (fd64.sfs). Fatdog includes the option to be net (hard wired or wireless) connected early i.e. by that point in the init process. So its nice having wireless net connected cli (for instance that can be used to ssh/scp the main sfs from elsewhere if you so desire).

The main point of this post however is that I've also recently dropped dosbox into initrd, so that's also available. And using dosbox to run a gui program (I've included a version of the game 'Mario') you can run graphical stuff seemingly OK.

Many many moons ago I used to use Turbo Pascal under DOS to write graphical programs. IIRC that was relatively easy to do. Perhaps a alternative option to your other ventures into having a early (initrd) graphical setup (or of course any other DOS based graphical programming tool). Initrd with the kernel modules sfs is now at 84MB, most of which is the firmware and modules.

That initrd.xz partners with the Fatdog 4.19.44 vmlinux

echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jul 2019, 16:34    Post subject:  

@rufwoof,
Yes, there are many ways to obtain a gui in the initrd. My current method, settings up aufs with easy.sfs within the initrd, seems to be working ok, but haven't had much feedback about it yet, running on other PCs. The initrd of the latest French Edition is 1.4MB, and that is uncompressed.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jul 2019, 21:14    Post subject:  

Here it is, version 1.0.92, 1.1RC:

http://bkhome.org/news/201907/easyos-version-1092-11rc.html

@foxpup, @blgs,
I have not yet tackled some of the issues that you posted about.

scsijon

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jul 2019, 07:21    Post subject:  

I've just realized that it seems at some stage xconsole has dissapeared at least from Easy Pyro 0.9.1 and later, it's still in the Utility Menu though in case that was on purpose.
Sage

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jul 2019, 07:42    Post subject:  

1.0.92 1.1RC
Loadsa problems with .img>USB. Much as I dislike USB booting and laptops, decided to test these first. {CQ71, which does have its own idiosyncrasies, known to me!}. Found several issue, some trivial, some not. Firstly, there are still blank screen pauses on booting, some long on first boot, shorter on subsequent, which, ideally, could be filled with some sort of screen activity even if just a line of **** rather than prior text to that effect.
There were serious difficulties getting setup initially as tapping is not activated by default (not a new problem!) and was unable to get the touchpad buttons to activate either. Addition of a USB mouse aggravated matters. Swapped back to a desktop machine to get setup which was mostly successful although there were very long rather than just some delays in getting Seamonkey started and more than one attempt to activate wifi was required, also accompanied by long delays in connecting {NOT a router/line issue in this household!}.
Swapping back to laptop, with or without an USB mouse didn't help - never could connect wifi nor get to tapping menu and touchpad buttons unstable but 'active' now.
Gave up - back to the .iso and a proper box! Later...

Later: Predictably, .iso ran fast, first time - no issues! Many thanks. Minor issues: CNTRL-ALT-BKSPCE not working (both machines, both media). SR0 has habit of disappearing (this is old problem now reappearing after solving several versions ago).
PS. Are all those warnings about running in RAM really necessary? It's the main advantage of using a CD or closed CD-RW: scammers and hackers can't write anything to it! LiveCD has to be a more secure way of running for the minor inconvenience of re-writing a few parameters at each new boot?
{and a thousands curses on uefi, laptops and .img}
blgs

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jul 2019, 14:45    Post subject:  

while testing Easyos (version 1.0.92) as a user.

These is one issue which disturbs me.
When I'm downloading a sfs file in sfsmanager a download window appears on top of the monitor. The download window cannot be moved or minimized. Furthermore the download windows appears an all desktops. So switching desktops doesn't help either.

Is it possible to change it in moveable and resizeable download window which only appears on one desktop and not all three.
lp-dolittle

PostPosted: Sat 20 Jul 2019, 17:55    Post subject: Easy-1.0.92.iso
Subject description: live-flahstick

@ Barry

Maybe, this additional installation option might be of interest to those who like running EasyOS totally in RAM, despite missing an optical drive, and who would appreciate a save partition on the boot medium that only needs to be inserted during the booting and saving processes! In combination with the container options of EasyOS, such a variant, quasi, could provide 'optimum security'.

In analogy to what I previously did in Xerus64-8.6, I managed to install the Easy-1.0.92.iso onto a flash-stick and to create a save partition on the same stick, using the fix-usb.sh script from fatdog.
To do so, 2 simple steps were required:
1. dd-ing the iso-file onto the flash-stick
(dd if=easy-1.0.92.iso of=/dev/<sdx> bs=1M)
2. running Fatdog64-802, open a console an run the fix-usb.sh script
(fix-usb.sh /dev/<sdx>)
Finally, creating and formatting a linux save partition in the remaining
space

and @ Sage

Aware of your dislike of flash-sticks, I tried to do the same with an external HD (usb2-interface). Since the fix-usb.sh script cannot be used in this case, I started an attempt via fdisk and was able to 'define' the remaining space as an additional partition. Booting from this external drive (I, so far, only tested an IDE-drive) initially was possible but failed as soon as the newly created partition was formatted. I'm still pondering on a possibility to circumvent this issue.

kind regards

Last edited by lp-dolittle on Sat 20 Jul 2019, 19:40; edited 1 time in total
Rodney Byne

PostPosted: Sat 20 Jul 2019, 18:38    Post subject: questionable VLC  

To Barry K,

My only interest is Multimedia.

Further to your necessary re-compiling of players in 1.0.14,
VLC in 1.0.29 downloaded from petget isn't working properly
on two fronts, compared to same version Vetinari in other distros.

1. When launched, the playlist panel on the left side should
have Icecast at the bottom of the displayed pull-down list.
It does not show. Which is a pity as this gives access
to hundreds of world radio streaming stations.

2. Please try to action this live url TV Channel string direct
from Bloomberg NY.
It works well with MPC-Qt and mpv, but not at all with VLC.

https://liveproduseast.akamaized.net/us/Channel-USTV-AWS-virginia-1/Source-USTV-1000-1_live.m3u8

Best regards, Rodney.
Sage

PostPosted: Sun 21 Jul 2019, 03:00    Post subject:  

Quote:
despite missing an optical drive, ... could provide 'optimum security'.

Not sure about external HD - overkill surely - but an external CD/DVD drive can be had cheaply, is small, portable and recognised by most modern junk. Still doesn't solve the missing FDD problem in another thread.
Dry Falls

PostPosted: Mon 22 Jul 2019, 04:47    Post subject: re: Linux crashes on new laptop  

Hello Barry. Regarding your blog post @ http://bkhome.org/news/201907/linux-crashes-on-new-laptop.html, I have an acer aspire c. 2014 which has always had the same problem running linux 'till I discovered the kernel parameter
Code:
intel_idle.max_cstate=1
from the Arch Linux forum. That was after three years of web searching. Have you tried this? 'Course it could be something else but it worked for me.

-df
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Mon 22 Jul 2019, 07:34    Post subject: Re: re: Linux crashes on new laptop  

Dry Falls wrote:
Hello Barry. Regarding your blog post @ http://bkhome.org/news/201907/linux-crashes-on-new-laptop.html, I have an acer aspire c. 2014 which has always had the same problem running linux 'till I discovered the kernel parameter
Code:
intel_idle.max_cstate=1
from the Arch Linux forum. That was after three years of web searching. Have you tried this? 'Course it could be something else but it worked for me.

-df

I have a fix:
http://bkhome.org/news/201907/easyos-now-works-on-new-laptop.html

Using the laptop right now, so far so good.

Yes, I recall that kernel parameter, didn't try it this time though.

scsijon

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jul 2019, 06:34    Post subject:  

I Had a (power) crash while starting 1.0.92 and it gave errors on restarting relating to sdb1 and a kernel crash.

Now with the base partition not being linux, what are we suppose to use to fix it as it's in-menu fsck didn't for either partition, just gave more errors.

In the end I just re-dd'd the memory stick and started again from there. That would normally mean, anything I had already installed or added would be 'cactus' so maybe there needs to be something to scan and fix the sdb1partition first before trying to fix sdb2.
don570

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jul 2019, 18:45    Post subject:  

Strange spelling error on Barry's blog
http://bkhome.org/news/201907/easyos-now-works-on-new-laptop.html

Quote:
, Quicky, Debian and Mint, but I found an old version of Quircky

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jul 2019, 01:10    Post subject:  

Quote:
Strange spelling error on Barry's blog

Two, actually - look more closely. Better with typos than not at all.
scsijon

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jul 2019, 18:28    Post subject: seamonkey in a container  

From Starting SeaMonkey in container
July 24, 2019 — BarryK

Quote:
Anyway, I have put in a test, and a message will popup if no Internet inside the container and SM will not start.

Except if i'm designing a new webpage/website I still want seamonkey to start, whether i'm online or not, and i'm using a container so as to keep everything relating to the page/site together and not 'out there'. Maybe a better idea could be to have it starting with a inbuilt webpage telling you it's not online.
Page 106 of 114 [1702 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, ..., 112, 113, 114 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: