EasyOS version 2.3.2, June 22, 2020

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jd7654

#151 Post by jd7654 »

Tried Easy 0.4 from standard USB install on two laptops, both with working Quirky 8.3 frugal installs:

This one with Intel chipset works fine. The other with AMD chipset did a black screen after initial boot, similar to other problem report, although vtys were responding so could go ctrl-alt-f2 and soft reboot. And going back to Xwin on vty4 the display shows a split second blink of the desktop but goes back to black.

don570

#152 Post by don570 »

The app image of mypaint works in Easy linux

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 846#966846

I find if I try to launch it with a command in the terminal --->

Code: Select all

./MyPaint-1.3.0-git.78e083f.glibc2.15-x86_64.AppImage
Result ----> X crashes and
I need to type 'xwin' to launch X again.

Better to double click on file icon in Rox filer :lol:
It seems to be stable then.

Also I find Easy crashes when I try to move a Rox Filer window
using the window menu and selecting 'Move'

Sage

#153 Post by Sage »

Mine of p.1 refers.
With v0.4 can't say my views have changed much since then, except presently running it (well, almost) on 16Gb USB stick.
We now have Pt.s 1 & 2 explaining what it's all about and how to use it. Read Pt.1, not intended for the likes of YT, of course, and, predictably, although I know all the words, understood little. So read Pt.2 for "users" - me. Now I really don't need to be told how to unzip a file, nor how to write an image to USB - all full Linux OSes seem to have the ImageWrite utility, as well as the devil's OS. The remainder of the blurb was convoluted also, neither Parts hardly engender use of the word "EASY".
I ran it - eventually - S_L_O_W_L_Y. I could not achieve a resolution or screen disposition, even with my SotA HW, that was entirely visible; the icons and windows were always off-screen l.h.s. Resolution changes were ineffective. CTRL-ALT_BKSPCE isn't working, inter alia.
INMVHO, this one is a loser. It hasn't got an obvious user appeal, as evidenced by the tiny, by Puppy standards, number of Forum contributors and contributions.
Elsewhere, there is considerable adverse discussion about the recent state of the breed(s). On the one hand, every developer is free to follow their own nose, but, if something's worth doing...& co. Good science deserves inordinate dedication and perseverance - at least, that's what I used to drill into my research students.
The overwhelming demand is for an OS that is truly SIMPLE to load, lightweight in both the RAM and Mb connotations, does regular functions OOTB, boots to a modest default screen with network connected and sound up. It should also probably concentrate on 32bit only - there simply is no advantage with 64 (or 128) bit mathematics in this application thanks to the USDoJ, AMD and (even) the EU. 32bit works on everything after 16bit's demise.
Of course, there are other interesting projects which could benefit from different Linux approaches, like RPi & clones, and mobiles/tablets/Android. [Hopefully, the market for laptops will soon collapse once users have dropped enough of them and discovered the cost and nuisance of repairs, even of the DIY variety.]
Regular Puppy was going so well and so was Slacko, shame that BK & micko are moving on, but hey ho, they're entitled.

cthisbear

#154 Post by cthisbear »

" The overwhelming demand is for an OS that is truly SIMPLE to load,
lightweight in both the RAM and Mb connotations, does regular functions OOTB, boots to a modest default screen with network connected and sound up. It should also probably concentrate on 32bit only "

"""""""""""

That's why I like >> Woof CE Debian Stretch.

from ttuuxxx

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 228#967228

Chris.

Sage

#155 Post by Sage »

That one is a bit too retro, cb!
What's so tantalising is that Slacko 6.9.6.4 was almost there (I still use it). micko shares the genius of BK, but rightly he has to put his family and career first. He has made some updates but I suppose all developers at the coalface tend to get seduced by the siren bleatings of the small cadre of kiddies wanting go-faster stripes.

foxpup

Re: wifi connection

#156 Post by foxpup »

BarryK wrote:
foxpup wrote:I can setup wifi with SNS, as in all puppies.
To setup wifi connection at bootup I put/link rc.network in the Startup direcory. That normally works, but not in easy 0.3 (nor in Quirky Xerus).
Even worse: in SNS the first offer to use the profile wlan0 (connect now) does not work. So I have to go through the setup of the interface again.

Is the profile not persistent? Or does it only look that way?
Running SNS verbose in console shows an error about 10 lines before exit:

ifconfig: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Unknown error 132
I also experienced that, and then the problem just "went away".

I suspect it might have gone away after I selected the "CRD" in quicksetup. If you run quicksetup (Setup menu), you will see the CRD listbox. Choose your country, and see if that fixes it.
This does not solve it for me. Same error and same behaviour of non-persistence with CRD : BE Belgium.
IIRC I had a similar problem in LxPupSc. There it went away by setting CRD: 00 UNSET !
EDIT: in LxPupSc version 17.09.21 the problem has completely disappeared now! CRD: BE Belgium works as expected and I have wifi at startup.
Last edited by foxpup on Mon 18 Sep 2017, 19:06, edited 1 time in total.

belham2

#157 Post by belham2 »

Hi Barry and all,

When first using Easy Linux 4.0, I did the full install image to a USB and have had (honestly) zero major problems with it. There's little things that need fixing, but nothing in my mind worth mentioning. The Container function runs great, and is dam# near impregnable in my tests. But, I decided to do a 'frugal' install of Easy 4.0, and everything went great though I ran into some weird problem with Seamonkey.

Basically, after doing an inital setup & creating the first save on shutdown (along with xz to gz conversion on reboot), the problem is Seamonkey will not launch outside of the Container at all at next boot or thereafter
. Here are the steps that led to this:

1) did the 'frugal'install, followed bootcode instructions.

2) Easy launches great, I begin setting up Seamonkey (outside the Container first) which seems to go well. I mean, it launches and closes and launches no problems.

3) I do nothing else to Easy except launch Easy Package manager to update it, then closed it. Then I add a file to /root/.jwm where I created a "jwmrc-personal" file, with only one entry that allows the jwm tray to show the minixcal clock in big, bold font. Here's the entry:

<ClockStyle>
 <Font>Ionic Charge-18:slant=italic:weight=demibold</Font>
</ClockStyle>
Saved this, went back to desktop, restarted Jwm, all was fine as the clock jumped up to my setting.

4) Then I restarted, created the savefile, and booted back in.

5) Upon booting back in, everything looks great except Seamonkey will not launch at all. Not from the Menu, not going into /usr/sharea/pplications & clicking its desktop file, and not even going directly to /usr/libs/seamonkey folder and/or /usr/bin/ folder and clicking the mozilla symlink that starts it. Nothing will launch Seamonkey.

6) Yet, if I now launch Seamonkey in "ec-chroot", it starts right up as it should, and I go about doing all the same settings as before when Seamonkey is 'outside' the Container.

Anyone seeing this too in a 'frugal' install? Any ideas, Barry??

Lastly, have another question about Easy, whether 'frugal' and/or full installed to usb-----after we download the easy-devx, is there no option to "load-on-the-fly" the devx? Is that not possible with how Easy is setup? I wanted to compile some stuff, but saw that I had to use Easy BootManager every time to load the devx at startup, then restart so the devx is loaded, do my compiling, then have to reset Easy BootManager once more & reboot just to get the Easy-devx unloaded.

What am i missing here? This is a bit cumbersome, haha :wink: Is using SFS-Load-on-the-fly verbotten with Easy Linux??

Thanks for help and/or feedback about the above. In my eyes, this Container stuff is super, and increases the security of using a pup or pup-like OS exponentially. No other pup comes close to this..... [/code]

belham2

#158 Post by belham2 »

[followup for 'frugal' installed EasyLinux4.0 Seamonkey problem]

Ok, took a further look at this, and here's the problem: notice in the /usr/bin/seamonkey script anything weird?

#!/bin/sh
 APP='/usr/bin/seamonkey.bin'
[ -f /root/spot/.mozilla/seamonkey/a2bvafqx.default/places.sqlite ] && ln -snf /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/seamonkey/seamonkey /usr/bin/seamonkey.bin
#script to run $APP as spot...
ARGS=""
[ $1 ] && while [ "$1" ]; do ARGS="$ARGS \"$1\""; shift; done
if [ $(id -u) -eq 0 ]; then
 [ $XAUTHORITY ] && cp $XAUTHORITY /root/spot/.Xauthority 2>/dev/null
 touch /root/spot/.Xauthority
 #following line is mostly there to catch any root:root files that may have got copied in...
 chown -R spot:spot /root/spot &
 export XAUTHORITY=/root/spot/.Xauthority  
 export XDG_CONFIG_HOME=/root/spot/.config
 export XDG_CACHE_HOME=/root/spot/.cache
 export XDG_DATA_HOME=/root/spot/.local/share
 exec su spot -s /bin/sh -c "\"$APP\" $ARGS"
else #precaution
 exec "$APP" "$ARGS"
fi
Specifically, this line:

[ -f /root/spot/.mozilla/seamonkey/a2bvafqx.default/places.sqlite ] && ln -snf /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/seamonkey/seamonkey /usr/bin/seamonkey.bin 
If you check your directory for the actual Seamonkey folder, it is NOT in ......./x86_64-linux-gnu....... The script is creating a broken link shortcut every time for seamonkey.bin when the seamonkey spot script in /usr/bin is launched. So, to remedy this, remove the ...../x86_64-linux-gnu......and you'll have the regular Seamonkey (outside the Container) running again as 'spot'.

Weird that this problem only occurs in 'frugal' boots and not for full-install easylinux. Is no one else running this 'frugally' and didn't see this?? Or did my playing with adding a simple 'jwmrc.personal" file to the /root/.jwm folder cause this? Either way, it's fixed now.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#159 Post by BarryK »

Getting back onto developing Easy!

Have compiled the 4.13.2 kernel:

http://bkhome.org/news/201709/linux-ker ... piled.html

Right now, refreshing my memory on how whiteout files work in aufs.

As Easy is a return to using SFS files, multiple layers using aufs, need to think about whiteout files when the layers change. Plus regenerate the JWM menu, etc.

Puppy has code that does this, and I will use just what is absolutely essential. I was reading the bootup code in Puppy, and it is very complex. Quirky and Easy are simpler, and I want to keep the Easy bootup scripts as simple as possible.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

radky

#160 Post by radky »

BarryK wrote:
Getting back onto developing Easy!
Have compiled the 4.13.2 kernel:
Pup-SysInfo-2.7.3
- Add support for parsing Cpu frequency in Pups with kernels >=4.13

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73101

---

BarryK wrote:
There is also a new package, PupApps 2.2, by radky.
PupApps-3.0
- Major update of user interface
- Accessory tray is now optional (enable/disable in Preferences)
- Adjust number of utility apps in accessory tray, now similar to PupControl
- Add support for additional popular applications in tabbed environment
- Add compatibility with BK's Quirky and Easy OS

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61962

Thanks
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

belham2

#161 Post by belham2 »

Hi Barry,

First, please ignore my question in previous msg about sfs loading. I read your site more and I understand (I think) now why SFS-Load-on-the-fly cannot work in Easy the way we've become accustomed to over the years.

Next, I posted this (below) in the XCFE + Easy 0.4 thread you saw/replied to (sorry about the 04 to 4.0--hey, a person can dream, can't they :wink: ) and am re-posting it here so if you and/or anyone else gets a chance to look at it:

"Not sure if you're aware, or maybe you are, but there's a problem with the Containers & using Seamonkey-----it just displays bad behavior when you are having to login to any site. It will randomly and at any moment wipe your login while logged in, or it will cause login,php handling at the moment of logging-in to go quirky, and/or a few other things (uploading pics, hitting back arrow in Seamonkey---all things that cause Seamonkey in a Container to just not work correctly. Heck, it was so bad 3 days ago that i thought the murga-forum login had been hacked, then i realized this morning that it was really the Containers. This occurs in original 'frugal' installs of Easy (no XFCE or anything else).
Also, another issue, trying to run the remaster from a 'frugal" Easy install---fails every time. After you set things up, configure boot-specs and all, you'll get this message every boot:

:	
cp: can't stat /q_ro/q.sfs/etc/DISTRO_SPECS:  No such file or directory
/init: .: line 235: can't open '/q_ro/q_sfs/etc/DISTRO_SPECS'
Looked and realized when you remaster from a running 'frugal' install that you've already setup, the remaster script takes the ".../etc/...." above and DOES NOT rename it to "..../er-etc/......which exists after remastering. Even if I rename it in the init script, which I did, boot still fails at near same point."

BarryK
Puppy Master

#162 Post by BarryK »

Here is something to get the brain cells churning:

http://bkhome.org/news/201709/managing- ... ootup.html

It is a very fundamental question, when we have just one read-write layer on top, why do we want whiteout files at all?

foxpup

#163 Post by foxpup »

BarryK wrote:Here is something to get the brain cells churning:

It is a very fundamental question, when we have just one read-write layer on top, why do we want whiteout files at all?
I am no dev, far from it. And I think I don't really understand it.
Nevertheless, since no one is commenting as yet...
Answer to the question: to remove builtin packages (and remaster)
Question: has Puppy more then 1 rw? pupsave and ??? ram???

BarryK
Puppy Master

#164 Post by BarryK »

foxpup wrote:
BarryK wrote:Here is something to get the brain cells churning:

I am no dev, far from it. And I think I don't really understand it.
Nevertheless, since no one is commenting as yet...
Answer to the question: to remove builtin packages (and remaster)
Question: has Puppy more then 1 rw? pupsave and ??? ram???
Easy only has rw at the top layer, which is a folder in the working partition, so there is no save-file, no need for one.

Puppy can also work with just one rw layer, but there are some modes that have two rw layers. For example, there is one mode where the top rw layer is a tmpfs in ram, below that a save-file is mounted.

In that case, you need whiteout files, for when using 'snapmergepuppy' to merge the top layer down to the save-file.

I haven't thought through the implications with the different Puppy modes. With Easy, it is simpler as there is only one mode.

In Easy, as far as I can see, it is feasible to delete all the whiteout files, though it is a step too far to do away with them entirely -- they are needed while the aufs layer is mounted.

rufwoof

#165 Post by rufwoof »

Say I have a base system that includes a .Xresources that if present takes precedence over .Xdefaults. If the bottom ro layer has a .Xresources and no .Xdefaults and I create a .Xdefaults in the rw top layer and delete the .Xresources (.wh file created in the rw layer) then it works as expected with the preferred .Xdefaults being used. I shut down and .wh files are deleted and the next load has both .Xdefaults and .Xresources present and .Xresources is incorrectly used .Xdefaults ignored.

I may have it wrong about the way things are set up with .Xresources taking precedence over .Xdefaults, but I envisage that something along the above lines could create problems ??? (there are other cases of series of potential files with one being given precedence according to specific tested for existence order). Equally my understanding could be wrong.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#166 Post by BarryK »

rufwoof wrote:Say I have a base system that includes a .Xresources that if present takes precedence over .Xdefaults. If the bottom ro layer has a .Xresources and no .Xdefaults and I create a .Xdefaults in the rw top layer and delete the .Xresources (.wh file created in the rw layer) then it works as expected with the preferred .Xdefaults being used. I shut down and .wh files are deleted and the next load has both .Xdefaults and .Xresources present and .Xresources is incorrectly used .Xdefaults ignored.

I may have it wrong about the way things are set up with .Xresources taking precedence over .Xdefaults, but I envisage that something along the above lines could create problems ??? (there are other cases of series of potential files with one being given precedence according to specific tested for existence order). Equally my understanding could be wrong.
Good! This is why I invited feedback, thought someone might think of a reason not to delete all the whiteout files!

For that particular example, you would have to create .Xresources and .Xdefaults on the top level.

Yes, if someone deletes a config file, coz they don't want it anymore, if the whiteout file gets removed, that file will be back at next bootup.

However, if that config file exists in a SFS file, it is because it is needed. For upgrading to next version, it may be important that the user not be able to remove important files on the SFS layers.

But then, the user could create a replacement config file, that does nothing. Food for thought.

It is good to rethink the fundamentals sometimes.

rufwoof

#167 Post by rufwoof »

Another example I believe would be using a Bourne type shell and ~/.profile

If you want ~/.profile to be used you have to ensure neither ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bash_login exist otherwise ~/.profile wont be used.

If the bottom ro layer has ~/.bash_profile and no ~/.profile, but the user wants to switch over to using ~/.profile, creates that file, deletes ~/.bash_profile (.wh file created) and a reboot reinstates the ~/.bash_profile because the .wh file was deleted ... then they'd be left wondering how the ~/.bash_profile that they'd deleted had reappeared and that they were running that and not their ~./profile file.

Extract from man bash
When bash is invoked as an interactive login shell, or as a non-interactive shell with the --login option, it first reads and executes commands from the file /etc/profile, if that file exists. After reading that file, it looks for ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login, and ~/.profile, in that order, and reads and executes commands from the first one that exists and is readable.

belham2

#168 Post by belham2 »

rufwoof wrote:Another example I believe would be using a Bourne type shell and ~/.profile

If you want ~/.profile to be used you have to ensure neither ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bash_login exist otherwise ~/.profile wont be used.

If the bottom ro layer has ~/.bash_profile and no ~/.profile, but the user wants to switch over to using ~/.profile, creates that file, deletes ~/.bash_profile (.wh file created) and a reboot reinstates the ~/.bash_profile because the .wh file was deleted ... then they'd be left wondering how the ~/.bash_profile that they'd deleted had reappeared and that they were running that and not their ~./profile file.

Extract from man bash
When bash is invoked as an interactive login shell, or as a non-interactive shell with the --login option, it first reads and executes commands from the file /etc/profile, if that file exists. After reading that file, it looks for ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login, and ~/.profile, in that order, and reads and executes commands from the first one that exists and is readable.

Dam#, rufwoof, some days you make my head hurt----gotta read it 4-5 times before even a little sinks through :lol: This is just a suggestion, but we need a murga-thread section entitled: "Rufwoof's Corner" or even better 'School Time: Advanced Puppy Corner". . Between Barry, Micko, Phil, you, Toni, Wiak and Fred......I swear I really am back in school some days wondering from one classroom to the next trying to figure out just what in heck is being discussed. It's like being back at Sandia all over again. Anyhow, thank heavens I can create separate folders in my browser just to keep on top of all the links you guys create---right in the middle of threads no less!-----so I don't spend time hunting for them when something later, days, weeks or months, pops up in my mind & I realize.... Hahah!! that's what he meant.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#169 Post by BarryK »

belham2 wrote:[followup for 'frugal' installed EasyLinux4.0 Seamonkey problem]

Ok, took a further look at this, and here's the problem: notice in the /usr/bin/seamonkey script anything weird?

#!/bin/sh
 APP='/usr/bin/seamonkey.bin'
#script to run $APP as spot...
ARGS=""
[ $1 ] && while [ "$1" ]; do ARGS="$ARGS "$1""; shift; done
if [ $(id -u) -eq 0 ]; then
 [ $XAUTHORITY ] && cp $XAUTHORITY /root/spot/.Xauthority 2>/dev/null
 touch /root/spot/.Xauthority
 #following line is mostly there to catch any root:root files that may have got copied in...
 chown -R spot:spot /root/spot &
 export XAUTHORITY=/root/spot/.Xauthority  
 export XDG_CONFIG_HOME=/root/spot/.config
 export XDG_CACHE_HOME=/root/spot/.cache
 export XDG_DATA_HOME=/root/spot/.local/share
 exec su spot -s /bin/sh -c ""$APP" $ARGS"
else #precaution
 exec "$APP" "$ARGS"
fi
Specifically, this line:

If you check your directory for the actual Seamonkey folder, it is NOT in ......./x86_64-linux-gnu....... The script is creating a broken link shortcut every time for seamonkey.bin when the seamonkey spot script in /usr/bin is launched. So, to remedy this, remove the ...../x86_64-linux-gnu......and you'll have the regular Seamonkey (outside the Container) running again as 'spot'.

Weird that this problem only occurs in 'frugal' boots and not for full-install easylinux. Is no one else running this 'frugally' and didn't see this?? Or did my playing with adding a simple 'jwmrc.personal" file to the /root/.jwm folder cause this? Either way, it's fixed now.
Thanks for reporting that. Now fixed in woofQ. Reported in my blog:

http://bkhome.org/news/201709/run-as-sp ... fixed.html

smokey01

#170 Post by smokey01 »

Last night I tried 0.4 on a 16GB USB3 stick which went quite well. It boots in 20 seconds. A couple of things I noticed:
Hardinfo looks for files in /usr/lib64/hardinfo when they are actually in /usr/lib/hardinfo
Desktop terminal icon opens rxvt and not urxvt. I only discovered this by using radky's urxvtcontrol.
Looks and works very well. Although I'm not keen on using the DD command, the one line install command worked very well.
Nice work.