EasyOS version 2.3.2, June 22, 2020

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Billtoo

#1171 Post by Billtoo »

Google-Earth for Xenialpup64 runs well in Bionicpup64 (and is available in Bionic64 quickpet.
The pet is downloadable from

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... -xenial64/

Should work in the xenialpup container in Easyos I'd think.

Works well with nvidia and radeon cards but not intel graphics.
Attachments
gepro.jpg
(92.33 KiB) Downloaded 1368 times

davids45

Troublesome applications sfs with Easy

#1172 Post by davids45 »

G'day Barry,

You wrote:
BootManager is filtering them out for some reason.

Are any of them online, so I can download it?
None on line - all 'home-grown' I'm afraid :shock: ; so I picked one 'full-version' that may be small enough to be attachable to a forum post (ace of penguins card games).

For test purposes, I've attached also some links-only sfs ('-links' in each file-name) I now use for all my Pups - very small file-size, made of links back to my mounted-at-boot data partition which holds the large original files of each sfs. These will not run for you (your data partition won't have the link targets) but I hope you can at least get them loaded with Boot manager.
Or more likely, see where I'm going wrong.

Speaking of 'on-line', is there a test application sfs I could try that works in Easy? I now prefer .sfs to .pet for ease of sharing applications - just the one version shared out to Pups from my data partition.

Thanks.

David S.
Attachments
64vivaldi1981844-links.sfs.gz
remove the fake '.gz' suffix to get the links-only sfs of this browser; the links point to my Puppy archive on my data partition so won't actually run, but I hope should load?
(4 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
64acepenguincards-links.sfs.gz
another sfs of links to my data partition (sda5); runs in other 64-bit Pups on my computer
(4 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
64acepenguincards.sfs.gz
remove the fake '.gz' suffix; it is a full version sfs.
(220 KiB) Downloaded 201 times

belham2

#1173 Post by belham2 »

Hi Barry,

Thought you'd get a kick out of this:

So, I install the latest Fedora 29, which comes stock with a container program, basically a QEMU-frontend GUI, called Boxes. Boxes leans heavily on virt-manager, but with everything automated except the hitting of the start button for a vm session of whatever ISO chosen.

I figure what the heck. I downloaded Easy-0.9.10 into the downloads folder, clicked open with "Boxes" and sat back watching what would happen as Boxes set everything up for me automatically, from ram, to disk space, etc, etc.

To my astonishment, things went fast and the next thing I know I am staring at a Boxes-session VM of Easy-0.9.10.

****THIS IS WHY THIS IS INTERESTING--I am on a mini Asus Laptop, with a struggling 2012 Celeron processor and only 1.8GB of RAM, all running from a USB 3.0 stick (no hard drive in the laptop)************************************************

Well, as I am staring at this VM of Easy-0.9.10 in Boxes, I am thinking there is no way on this Earth that there was enough ram allocated to this VM for me to do anything, even move the mouse. After all, I am running Fedora, the latest, Fedora 29, and it can be a ram hog at times.

I then start clicking around in the Boxes' Easy VM, the mouse is moving and little stuff seems to work. Hmmmm.....

I stare at the VM Easy and make a bet with myself: not possible Barry's Containers aregoing to either open and/or run (again, given (as stated earlier) the limited memory of this little laptop).

But, was I wrong. Way wrong. In sum, Barry, I opened up Seamonkey in Container, it started right up (like on all my bigger machines), and the next thing I know I am surfing in Seamonkey in a Container which all is inside the VM and it is just incredible..... I'm watching Youtube videos, downloading stuff, just having a blast, and everything is working (even sound!).

Out of all the pups I tried, your Easy was the only one who could even do this (run this well) in a Boxes VM, and the killer thing is (to me at least) your pre-included Seamonkey Containerized is itself running well. It is what I was surfing around in, watching Youtube in, downloading in, etc, etc.

I still can't figure out how and/or what your doing to get this to work like this and yet nearly all other pups struggle inside with one thing or two in Boxes. Anyhow, I just wanted to let you know. Below a pic of the Fedora 29 desktop, with Easy loaded inside Boxes and the Container-ized Seamonkey open and running well. Just amazing to me.....two-levels of Containers, even two levels of firewalls running (Fedora's firewalld, set to strict "Public" rule settings and then Easy's Alienbob's firewall running inside Boxes) and still----nothing, not a single thing---- is messing up and/or not running. :D All on this under-powered, low ram laptop. I cannot even get old pups and/or especially slackos (32 and/or 64 bit) to do this inside a Fedora Boxes' VM, and I've been trying at least 20 different ones the past two days. They run, sometimes ok, but not like what Easy is doing.
Attachments
Easy-0.9.10-64bit-in-Boxes-in-Fedora-29.jpg
(93.96 KiB) Downloaded 1194 times

rufwoof

#1174 Post by rufwoof »

belham2 wrote:Well, as I am staring at this VM of Easy-0.9.10 in Boxes, I am thinking there is no way on this Earth that there was enough ram allocated to this VM for me to do anything, even move the mouse. After all, I am running Fedora, the latest, Fedora 29, and it can be a ram hog at times.

I then start clicking around in the Boxes' Easy VM, the mouse is moving and little stuff seems to work. Hmmmm.....

I stare at the VM Easy and make a bet with myself: not possible Barry's Containers are going to either open and/or run (again, given (as stated earlier) the limited memory of this little laptop).

But, was I wrong. Way wrong. In sum, Barry, I opened up Seamonkey in Container, it started right up (like on all my bigger machines), and the next thing I know I am surfing in Seamonkey in a Container which all is inside the VM and it is just incredible..... I'm watching Youtube videos, downloading stuff, just having a blast, and everything is working (even sound!).
A simplistic picture of a container is to take the main ro sfs ... that is already loaded (main session), and add its own save folder on top of that. So unsurprising that it worked as there's extremely low overheads involved (excepting if its save folder size grows considerably) as its just pointers (very low overhead). Qemu is pretty good at maintaining graphical speeds, as is Barry's use of X - as the X session inside a container that is using xorg is just another X window added into the current X session. Be mindful however that the seamonkey container uses the same X as the main session, is just another xorg window, so even though its 'contained' its extremely easy to elevate to the main systems root. Running a container under Xephyr (such as how the Easy desktop container does) negates that (is more secure), as that in effect creates a new X session just for the container. Even then however there's the option for a contained session to potentially read things out of memory and it you have hyperthreading enabled as you will have in order to run boxes then that opens you up the likes of Spectre/Meltdown type attacks.
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1175 Post by BarryK »

belham2 wrote:Hi Barry,

Thought you'd get a kick out of this:

So, I install the latest Fedora 29, which comes stock with a container program, basically a QEMU-frontend GUI, called Boxes. Boxes leans heavily on virt-manager, but with everything automated except the hitting of the start button for a vm session of whatever ISO chosen.

I figure what the heck. I downloaded Easy-0.9.10 into the downloads folder, clicked open with "Boxes" and sat back watching what would happen as Boxes set everything up for me automatically, from ram, to disk space, etc, etc.

To my astonishment, things went fast and the next thing I know I am staring at a Boxes-session VM of Easy-0.9.10.
Wow, I have to try that too!
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1176 Post by BarryK »

Billtoo wrote:Google-Earth for Xenialpup64 runs well in Bionicpup64 (and is available in Bionic64 quickpet.
There is some discussion here about Google Earth, from a quick read, seems it doesn't work anymore:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111081

Billtoo

EasyOS Pyro 0.9.10, December 5, 2018

#1177 Post by Billtoo »

BarryK wrote:
Billtoo wrote:Google-Earth for Xenialpup64 runs well in Bionicpup64 (and is available in Bionic64 quickpet.
There is some discussion here about Google Earth, from a quick read, seems it doesn't work anymore:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111081
It's working great on my 11 year old HP running Bionicpup64 Beta 7.9.7

I downloaded the pet from the Xenialpup64 repository on ibiblio and installed it a the xenialpup container of my Easy 9.9 install, it ran but not 100%, streetview worked fine but the menus were missing, just showed as a white block.

The screenshot shows downtown Perth (I guess :) ) running on the HP.

EDIT: The HP has a newer (5 or 6 year old radeon card), also have GEpro installed on a faster dual core with an older nvidia card.

When you get into the sub menus not everything works, some things need flash installed or other things.
The processor can get working hard on a dual core machine.

It would take a very long time to explore all the sub menus :)
Attachments
GEpro-nvidia.jpg
(125.84 KiB) Downloaded 1045 times
GEpro.jpg
(93.51 KiB) Downloaded 1102 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1178 Post by BarryK »

I am going into battle against the kernel developers:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114921

foxpup

#1179 Post by foxpup »

BarryK wrote:I am going into battle against the kernel developers:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114921
That's the spirit of small dogs. :) 8)

spotted

easy 0.9.3 on Pi B3+

#1180 Post by spotted »

For anyone with a Pi B3+
http://bkhome.org/news/201809/easyos-09 ... ry-pi.html
easy.0.9.3 arm works if you change
rpi-3-b.dtb to rpi-3-b-useless.dtb
so that you can change
rpi-3-b+ to rpi-3-b.dtb
to trick BK into thinking he is booting his mark 1 Pi3. But that by its self dont work, you have to get all the other "exec's" from "berryboot" them with the cog wheel, and plonk them in there replacing the original.
Not been anywhere near them shipen containers yet. That comes later before I go online.
Firefox 60 works so far, but not been online to test it, only needed to get one "lib" file, any firefox over 52 not supposed to work on arm.
force turbo=1 works great, geany goes from about 3 secs to under a sec, about the same time as my 4 core amd 2 ghz laptop.
In /usr anything alsa is BROKEN as said in the release notes. No acceleration what ever that is, so I dont know what I am missing.
I tried that precompiled VLC that BK mentioned in his blog, I think I got precompiled mixed up with preconfigured, had to get divx to finish installing. Started make, it rolled on for a while then exited, missing dvbxxx.h file, end of experiment. A faint inkling a .h file might be a header file, whats a header file.
I could not get berryboot to make an image of it, probably dont know what to do with q.sfs. Quirky 6 arm converts to berryboot ok. Love to have them both on the one micro sd card.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Loading existing sfs

#1181 Post by BarryK »

BarryK wrote:
davids45 wrote:Boot Manager problem
I'm trying to load some sfs of various things (games, pwidgets, printer driver) I've copied to the indicated directory but nothing seems to be loading on re-booting (screenshot). Is there a new type of sfs required?
sfs files placed under the 'sfs' folder are supposed to be created with special meta-data inside them. The way to re-make an existing sfs is to open it up and use 'dir2sfs' -- there is a blog post on that.

However, traditional sfs files can be loaded, place them in /mnt/wkg/releases/easy-0.9.10, then run the menu Filesystem --> Easy BootManager and you can select them.

It requires a reboot. Not supporting load-on-the-fly, as when a change in sfs layers, there is special checking done in 'initrd' before the layers get loaded.
I am remembering more about the decisions I made when originally designing this...

SFSs placed in /mnt/wkg/releases/easy-0.9.10 will NOT be recognised by the BootManager, only those under the 'sfs' folder -- and they must be built with 'dir2sfs' to have the required meta-data.

If you really want to use one of your SFSs, place it in /mnt/wkg/releases/easy-0.9.10 and manually edit /mnt/wkg/releases/easy-0.9.10/configuration, insert a variable

EASY_LAYER_RO1=name-of-the-sfs-here

Then reboot.

However, I do not recommend doing this. Well, you can, with caution.
SFS's should really be compiled for the host system in which they are going to run, with matching folders.

For example, your ace-of-penguins has /usr/lib64 folder, however, easy.sfs has /usr/lib64 as a symlink to /usr/lib. So does Xenialpup.

Easy does not have /usr/lib/X86_64-linux-gnu, Xenialpup has it as a symlink to /usr/lib -- so, if ace-of-penguins SFS is a layer above easy.sfs or xenialpup.sfs, it could totally mess things up.

Although it might seem to work, it will break other apps. For example, some apps are hardcoded to look in /usr/lib64 or /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu, and their files will no longer be there.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1182 Post by BarryK »

There have been a couple reports about the background sometimes getting scrambled in containers.

I have tweaked some delays, which might fix this.

The next release will be 0.9.13, probably out tomorrow.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1183 Post by BarryK »

It became 0.9.14, do to testing of version upgrading and fixing a few things.

Release announcement:

http://bkhome.org/news/201812/easyos-ve ... eased.html

And a new tutorial on upgrading:

https://easyos.org/user/easy-version-up ... grade.html

Though, it might be best not to upgrade any current installation, treat 0.9.14 as new install. After that, should be good for upgrading.

Billtoo

EasyOS Pyro 0.9.14, December 18, 2018

#1184 Post by Billtoo »

I installed to a 32gb usb-3.0 flash drive with easydd, pc is an Acer laptop.
So far have installed Kodi.
Screeny doesn't work properly for me, I installed tas and it works fine.

I need sleep so will test more later.
Thanks.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(71.75 KiB) Downloaded 709 times

Sage

#1185 Post by Sage »

0.9.14: no issues - works perfectly, 16Mb USB/GF video card.
[I prefer to extract the .img.gz as an intermediate step for integrity checking and burn through an old 1.1USB port, kept for the purpose, which gives a much slower burn rate and less burn errors.]

Billtoo

#1186 Post by Billtoo »

I installed to a 32gb usb-3.0 flash drive, pc is a lenovo desktop:

Computer
Processor 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
Memory 4041MB (981MB used)
Machine Type Physical machine
Operating System Easy Pyro64
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Tue Dec 18 15:04:39 2018
SCSI Disks
ATA WDC WD3200AAJS-5
HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH40N
Kingston DataTraveler 3.0
Operating System
Version
Kernel Linux 4.14.87 (x86_64)
Version #1 SMP Mon Dec 10 09:49:25 AWST 2018
C Library GNU C Library version 2.25 (stable)
Distribution Easy Pyro64
OpenGL
Vendor Mesa Project
Renderer Software Rasterizer
Version 2.1 Mesa 17.3.8
Direct Rendering Y_es
Display
Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Version 1.19.6
Monitors
Monitor 0 1920x1080 pixels

Screenshot is from Google maps.

My Acer laptop install wouldn't boot this morning,was on a verbatum
flash drive which have given problems before.
The nouveau driver is working fine so far.
Screeny worked okay on this install.

Thanks.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(89.35 KiB) Downloaded 1052 times

Billtoo

#1187 Post by Billtoo »

I installed to another 32gb usb-3.0 flash drive, pc is an HP desktop:

Computer
Processor 6x AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1045T Processor
Memory 8163MB (203MB used)
Machine Type Physical machine
Operating System Easy Pyro64
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Tue Dec 18 20:40:09 2018
SCSI Disks
ATA Hitachi HDS72101
hp BDDVDRW CH20L
SanDisk Ultra
Generic- SD/MMC
Generic- Compact Flash
Generic- SM/xD-Picture
Generic- MS/MS-Pro
Kingston DataTraveler 3.0
Operating System
Version
Kernel Linux 4.14.87 (x86_64)
Version #1 SMP Mon Dec 10 09:49:25 AWST 2018
C Library GNU C Library version 2.25 (stable)
Distribution Easy Pyro64
OpenGL
Vendor Mesa Project
Renderer Software Rasterizer
Version 2.1 Mesa 17.3.8
Direct Rendering Y_es

It's working okay on this computer.
-------------------------------------------

EDIT: On this install (core 2 install as well) the processor is working harder that expected when running kodi.
Running kodi in bionicpup64 takes much less (processor runs at 800mhz on this pc) screenshot3.
Screeny no longer works in a container, I installed tas pet to get screenshot2.
The processor on the dual core get up to 63C when running Kodi

That's it for now,
Thanks.
Attachments
screenshot3.jpg
(80.32 KiB) Downloaded 1002 times
screenshot2.jpg
(71.25 KiB) Downloaded 1005 times
screenshot.jpg
(45.78 KiB) Downloaded 1020 times

FeodorF

#1188 Post by FeodorF »

BarryK wrote:There have been a couple reports about the background sometimes getting scrambled in containers.

I have tweaked some delays, which might fix this.

The next release will be 0.9.13, probably out tomorrow.
Well, as far as I can tell it looks good over here, The containerized background screen goes black - than white and after that the right
background image shows up. I do have some keyboard delay while typing - um German keyboard still have some issue. I will have to get me a new UK/US keyboard for Christmas!

Season greetings to all,
Feodor

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: EasyOS Pyro 0.9.14, December 18, 2018

#1189 Post by BarryK »

Billtoo wrote: Screeny no longer works in a container, I installed tas pet to get screenshot2.

That's it for now,
Thanks.
Thanks for the feedback about Screeny, I will test it.

Is that running hot when running Kodi in a container?
-- ah, yes, I see it is in a container, from your snapshot.

Billtoo

Re: EasyOS Pyro 0.9.14, December 18, 2018

#1190 Post by Billtoo »

BarryK wrote:
Billtoo wrote: Screeny no longer works in a container, I installed tas pet to get screenshot2.

That's it for now,
Thanks.
Thanks for the feedback about Screeny, I will test it.

Is that running hot when running Kodi in a container?
-- ah, yes, I see it is in a container, from your snapshot.
This install is using the nouveau driver, I looked everywhere that I
could think of but can't find the kernel source sfs.
Wanted to see if the proprietary nvidia driver would run better than
nouveau, cooler maybe?

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Easy Pyro64, version 0.9.14

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 430] (rev a1)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 1024x768x16
Depth (bits, or planes): 24
Modules requested to be loaded: dbe

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
Driver loaded (and currently in use): nouveau
Loaded modules: dbe dri2 evdev exa extmod fb fbdevhw glx shadowfb

Actual rendering on monitor:
Resolution: 1920x1080 pixels (508x285 millimeters)
Depth: 24 planes

I used tas to get the screenshot, screeny wouldn't work with kodi.
Thanks.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(75.75 KiB) Downloaded 809 times
capture5269.png
(234.15 KiB) Downloaded 809 times