EasyOS version 2.3.2, June 22, 2020

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
foxpup

#1156 Post by foxpup »

@rufwoof

Thanks for taking the time to explain containers.
I will have to read it a few times over to get it though ;-)
I will print it and hang it up.
I will try it and see what happens.
I am not so interested in the security thing, since I haven't had any issue since I'm using Puppy.
But it seems to be much more than that.
I would love to see good old Wary running on my new i5 machine. :D

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Loading existing sfs

#1157 Post by BarryK »

davids45 wrote:Boot Manager problem
I'm trying to load some sfs of various things (games, pwidgets, printer driver) I've copied to the indicated directory but nothing seems to be loading on re-booting (screenshot). Is there a new type of sfs required?
sfs files placed under the 'sfs' folder are supposed to be created with special meta-data inside them. The way to re-make an existing sfs is to open it up and use 'dir2sfs' -- there is a blog post on that.

However, traditional sfs files can be loaded, place them in /mnt/wkg/releases/easy-0.9.10, then run the menu Filesystem --> Easy BootManager and you can select them.

It requires a reboot. Not supporting load-on-the-fly, as when a change in sfs layers, there is special checking done in 'initrd' before the layers get loaded.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

davids45

Save File?

#1158 Post by davids45 »

G'day Barry,

Thanks for the reply about using apps in existing sfs files. I'll try the dir2sfs in my archive of sfs directories and see how I go.

In traditional Pups, before trying most things I make frequent use of savefile backups ('hot-backup' is a particularly helpful app), and to have also a means of quickly recovering in the case of any hardware problem.

But in looking through the various Easy directories of my Easy frugal, I couldn't find a savefile equivalent. Is there one, or a easy way to recover from a 'misadventure'?

David S.

rufwoof

#1159 Post by rufwoof »

A container set to use Xephyr works fine (secure). Container set to use xorg isn't. Pre-prepared sfs for Chrome install for instances defaults to using xorg, and a browser flaw that enabled remote cli can 'control' main system windows.

The lower sakura window in the attached was a main session terminal window (running as main session root). The sakura window at the top was a containered (with xorg) window and I used that to send a command to the main sessions (real/full root) from that. Do the same with Xephyr and its blocked (secure).

Simply ... running the current Chromium sfsget, setting that to run in its own container ... isn't secure (as it is set to use xorg, not xephyr).

(Note that a container can search for available targets (windowid's) using something like

DISPLAY=:=0 xdotool search --name 'sakura'

or other targets such as rox and then send a 'open terminal here' type command sequence).
Attachments
s.png
(103.12 KiB) Downloaded 687 times
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

rufwoof

#1160 Post by rufwoof »

Restore the main session (to the automated save that is created when first booted) ... and initrd BOOTSPEC settings are also restored, so likely it wont reboot until you again make the required edits. Would be better if initrd content was left as-is.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

rufwoof

#1161 Post by rufwoof »

foxpup wrote:I would love to see good old Wary running on my new i5 machine. :D
I like the simplicity of the same OS as both the main and contained i.e. EasyOS otherwise the differences between the two can at times be a little annoying.

Conceptually other pup's could adopt a similar structure (main sfs with its own save area, Xephyr session using the same main sfs with its own save area). When you run the contained session then your local data is isolated from the browser (relatively safe). When you run multiple profiles for different web sites you log into, or ctrl-shift-del and clear out cache/cookies ...etc. then there's no cross scripting potential (one web site or window determining userid and passwords that you use on other web sites). Whilst Xephyr runs as fast as the main session (unlike if you X through ssh/vnc or whatever).

It's also like being able to remaster multiple versions and roll back/forward to each/any quickly/easily.

Typically I just do the initial locale/firewall (first run setup), Pup Ad blocker etc. in the main session, but otherwise just leave that as-is, as mostly after that you can run just the Easy container and do most things (except root command things) in that (alt-F6 back to the main session if you do need to mount things or whatever). I then configure the container to be more to how I like it setup. And when browsing, anytime I do log into a web site I always ctrl-shift-del to clean things up afterwards (I keep all my bookmarks in a local html file rather than using the browsers history/bookmarks). I also tend to roll back to a clean snapshot taken after initial setup prior to shutdown, so it restarts all clean again (but configured) at the next boot.

Reneetje
Location: The Netherlands, Fryslan - Foar de kofje net eamelje

clock

#1162 Post by Reneetje »

Zigbert made a beautiful clock you see in many puppies. I think is't a good idea to add that for Pyro 0.9.10
Attachments
Uhr.png
(250.49 KiB) Downloaded 541 times

don570

GIMP_AppImage-git-2.10.9

#1163 Post by don570 »

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Latest Gimp appimage works in fatdog64 (several versions) and Easy 0.9.10

Make sure you get the version with the plugins.

https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-ap ... 4.AppImage

don570

#1164 Post by don570 »

Here's an explanation of how I did a frugal install on a hard drive partition (sda1) formatted as ext3 using fatdog64 800beta

I first installed uextract in fatdog64

UExtract allowed me to decompress and then open up image
http://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/amd64/ ... d64.img.gz

see picture of opened image

Simply clicking on initrd file will open it up.

I can then edit BOOT_SPEC file...
BOOT_DISKID='0x50e598ae'
BOOT_PARTNUM=1
BOOT_FS='ext3'
BOOT_DIR='easy/0.9.10/'
WKG_DISKID='0x50e598ae'
WKG_PARTNUM=1
WKG_FS='ext3'
WKG_DIR='easy/0.9.10/'
INIT_DISTRO_VERSION=0.9.10
INIT_DISTRO_BINARY_COMPAT='oe'
INIT_DISTRO_COMPAT_VERSION='pyro'
INIT_DISTRO_TARGET_ARCH='amd64'
Because this is frugal install it is likely that BOOT_DISKID and WKG_DISKID
are the same. Likewise BOOT_DIR and WKG_DIR

Likewise WKG_PARTNUM and BOOT_PARTNUM
Likewise WKG_FS and BOOT_PARTNUM

disk ID is explained by BarryK in instructions
I would try 'fdisk -l' in terminal of a linux distro
to see if they are listed.

The script 'repack-initrd' does the repacking
and it will be properly placed back in image.

unmount the image by clicking on image file again.

You can follow instructions in BarryK frugal install page
to construct /mnt/sda1/easy/0.9.10/ folder ....
https://easyos.org/install/easy-frugal- ... ation.html

Note that UUID for menu.lst can be found

Code: Select all

blkid  /dev/sda1
and then modify menu.lst file

Code: Select all

title EasyOS-0.9.10 (sda1/easy/0.9.10)
  find --set-root uuid () 3f8f077d-7a7d-4e7a-9cb5-a8b94e1f1c87
  kernel /easy/0.9.10/vmlinuz rw
  initrd /easy/0.9.10/initrd
screenshot655.png
(52.31 KiB) Downloaded 507 times
Last edited by don570 on Thu 13 Dec 2018, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.

davids45

Loading sfs at booting

#1165 Post by davids45 »

G'day Barry,

You wrote:
However, traditional sfs files can be loaded, place them in /mnt/wkg/releases/easy-0.9.10, then run the menu Filesystem --> Easy BootManager and you can select them.
I'm still not having any luck loading an sfs during booting.
I've copied several sfs of applications I use in other 64-bit Pups to the above indicated directory (screenshot) but still nothing shows when I go to Boot manager (screenshot).

I'm probably missing something obvious to those who know what they are doing :oops: .

Thanks for any guidance.

David S.
Attachments
some-oldSFS-in-directory.jpg
some sfs copied to directory suggested; three are only of links to my data partition, the fourth is a normal sfs (MasterPDFEditor)
(87.84 KiB) Downloaded 417 times
bootmanager-noSFSlisted.jpg
Boot manager windows showing no available sfs to load
(132.1 KiB) Downloaded 415 times

don570

#1166 Post by don570 »

I made some changes to my right click menu utility package...
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=113208

New version Right-click-Easy-6.9.1.pet

Slide show is now gpicview

uextract will now open .img

Audacious audio player is now used rather than pmusic

don570

#1167 Post by don570 »

When rebooting the computer after a crash in a frugal install...
there needs to be a warning that the disk check can take several minutes
if the hard disk is big.

jesudia

google earth

#1168 Post by jesudia »

is posible install google-earth.deb in easy OS of Barry Kauler ? thanks

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Save File?

#1169 Post by BarryK »

davids45 wrote:G'day Barry,

Thanks for the reply about using apps in existing sfs files. I'll try the dir2sfs in my archive of sfs directories and see how I go.

In traditional Pups, before trying most things I make frequent use of savefile backups ('hot-backup' is a particularly helpful app), and to have also a means of quickly recovering in the case of any hardware problem.

But in looking through the various Easy directories of my Easy frugal, I couldn't find a savefile equivalent. Is there one, or a easy way to recover from a 'misadventure'?

David S.
Yes, go to the menu Filesystem -> Easy Version Control, and you can take a snapshot.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Loading sfs at booting

#1170 Post by BarryK »

davids45 wrote:G'day Barry,

You wrote:
I'm still not having any luck loading an sfs during booting.
I've copied several sfs of applications I use in other 64-bit Pups to the above indicated directory (screenshot) but still nothing shows when I go to Boot manager (screenshot).

I'm probably missing something obvious to those who know what they are doing :oops: .

Thanks for any guidance.

David S.
BootManager is filtering them out for some reason.

Are any of them online, so I can download it?

Billtoo

#1171 Post by Billtoo »

Google-Earth for Xenialpup64 runs well in Bionicpup64 (and is available in Bionic64 quickpet.
The pet is downloadable from

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... -xenial64/

Should work in the xenialpup container in Easyos I'd think.

Works well with nvidia and radeon cards but not intel graphics.
Attachments
gepro.jpg
(92.33 KiB) Downloaded 1368 times

davids45

Troublesome applications sfs with Easy

#1172 Post by davids45 »

G'day Barry,

You wrote:
BootManager is filtering them out for some reason.

Are any of them online, so I can download it?
None on line - all 'home-grown' I'm afraid :shock: ; so I picked one 'full-version' that may be small enough to be attachable to a forum post (ace of penguins card games).

For test purposes, I've attached also some links-only sfs ('-links' in each file-name) I now use for all my Pups - very small file-size, made of links back to my mounted-at-boot data partition which holds the large original files of each sfs. These will not run for you (your data partition won't have the link targets) but I hope you can at least get them loaded with Boot manager.
Or more likely, see where I'm going wrong.

Speaking of 'on-line', is there a test application sfs I could try that works in Easy? I now prefer .sfs to .pet for ease of sharing applications - just the one version shared out to Pups from my data partition.

Thanks.

David S.
Attachments
64vivaldi1981844-links.sfs.gz
remove the fake '.gz' suffix to get the links-only sfs of this browser; the links point to my Puppy archive on my data partition so won't actually run, but I hope should load?
(4 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
64acepenguincards-links.sfs.gz
another sfs of links to my data partition (sda5); runs in other 64-bit Pups on my computer
(4 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
64acepenguincards.sfs.gz
remove the fake '.gz' suffix; it is a full version sfs.
(220 KiB) Downloaded 201 times

belham2

#1173 Post by belham2 »

Hi Barry,

Thought you'd get a kick out of this:

So, I install the latest Fedora 29, which comes stock with a container program, basically a QEMU-frontend GUI, called Boxes. Boxes leans heavily on virt-manager, but with everything automated except the hitting of the start button for a vm session of whatever ISO chosen.

I figure what the heck. I downloaded Easy-0.9.10 into the downloads folder, clicked open with "Boxes" and sat back watching what would happen as Boxes set everything up for me automatically, from ram, to disk space, etc, etc.

To my astonishment, things went fast and the next thing I know I am staring at a Boxes-session VM of Easy-0.9.10.

****THIS IS WHY THIS IS INTERESTING--I am on a mini Asus Laptop, with a struggling 2012 Celeron processor and only 1.8GB of RAM, all running from a USB 3.0 stick (no hard drive in the laptop)************************************************

Well, as I am staring at this VM of Easy-0.9.10 in Boxes, I am thinking there is no way on this Earth that there was enough ram allocated to this VM for me to do anything, even move the mouse. After all, I am running Fedora, the latest, Fedora 29, and it can be a ram hog at times.

I then start clicking around in the Boxes' Easy VM, the mouse is moving and little stuff seems to work. Hmmmm.....

I stare at the VM Easy and make a bet with myself: not possible Barry's Containers aregoing to either open and/or run (again, given (as stated earlier) the limited memory of this little laptop).

But, was I wrong. Way wrong. In sum, Barry, I opened up Seamonkey in Container, it started right up (like on all my bigger machines), and the next thing I know I am surfing in Seamonkey in a Container which all is inside the VM and it is just incredible..... I'm watching Youtube videos, downloading stuff, just having a blast, and everything is working (even sound!).

Out of all the pups I tried, your Easy was the only one who could even do this (run this well) in a Boxes VM, and the killer thing is (to me at least) your pre-included Seamonkey Containerized is itself running well. It is what I was surfing around in, watching Youtube in, downloading in, etc, etc.

I still can't figure out how and/or what your doing to get this to work like this and yet nearly all other pups struggle inside with one thing or two in Boxes. Anyhow, I just wanted to let you know. Below a pic of the Fedora 29 desktop, with Easy loaded inside Boxes and the Container-ized Seamonkey open and running well. Just amazing to me.....two-levels of Containers, even two levels of firewalls running (Fedora's firewalld, set to strict "Public" rule settings and then Easy's Alienbob's firewall running inside Boxes) and still----nothing, not a single thing---- is messing up and/or not running. :D All on this under-powered, low ram laptop. I cannot even get old pups and/or especially slackos (32 and/or 64 bit) to do this inside a Fedora Boxes' VM, and I've been trying at least 20 different ones the past two days. They run, sometimes ok, but not like what Easy is doing.
Attachments
Easy-0.9.10-64bit-in-Boxes-in-Fedora-29.jpg
(93.96 KiB) Downloaded 1194 times

rufwoof

#1174 Post by rufwoof »

belham2 wrote:Well, as I am staring at this VM of Easy-0.9.10 in Boxes, I am thinking there is no way on this Earth that there was enough ram allocated to this VM for me to do anything, even move the mouse. After all, I am running Fedora, the latest, Fedora 29, and it can be a ram hog at times.

I then start clicking around in the Boxes' Easy VM, the mouse is moving and little stuff seems to work. Hmmmm.....

I stare at the VM Easy and make a bet with myself: not possible Barry's Containers are going to either open and/or run (again, given (as stated earlier) the limited memory of this little laptop).

But, was I wrong. Way wrong. In sum, Barry, I opened up Seamonkey in Container, it started right up (like on all my bigger machines), and the next thing I know I am surfing in Seamonkey in a Container which all is inside the VM and it is just incredible..... I'm watching Youtube videos, downloading stuff, just having a blast, and everything is working (even sound!).
A simplistic picture of a container is to take the main ro sfs ... that is already loaded (main session), and add its own save folder on top of that. So unsurprising that it worked as there's extremely low overheads involved (excepting if its save folder size grows considerably) as its just pointers (very low overhead). Qemu is pretty good at maintaining graphical speeds, as is Barry's use of X - as the X session inside a container that is using xorg is just another X window added into the current X session. Be mindful however that the seamonkey container uses the same X as the main session, is just another xorg window, so even though its 'contained' its extremely easy to elevate to the main systems root. Running a container under Xephyr (such as how the Easy desktop container does) negates that (is more secure), as that in effect creates a new X session just for the container. Even then however there's the option for a contained session to potentially read things out of memory and it you have hyperthreading enabled as you will have in order to run boxes then that opens you up the likes of Spectre/Meltdown type attacks.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#1175 Post by BarryK »

belham2 wrote:Hi Barry,

Thought you'd get a kick out of this:

So, I install the latest Fedora 29, which comes stock with a container program, basically a QEMU-frontend GUI, called Boxes. Boxes leans heavily on virt-manager, but with everything automated except the hitting of the start button for a vm session of whatever ISO chosen.

I figure what the heck. I downloaded Easy-0.9.10 into the downloads folder, clicked open with "Boxes" and sat back watching what would happen as Boxes set everything up for me automatically, from ram, to disk space, etc, etc.

To my astonishment, things went fast and the next thing I know I am staring at a Boxes-session VM of Easy-0.9.10.
Wow, I have to try that too!