Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 17 Nov 2018, 15:37
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
EasyOS Pyro 0.9.8, November 14, 2018
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 71 of 72 [1068 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 69, 70, 71, 72 Next
Author Message
Reneetje


Joined: 22 Apr 2013
Posts: 14
Location: The Netherlands, Fryslan - Foar de kofje net eamelje

PostPosted: Mon 15 Oct 2018, 14:19    Post subject:  

http://bkhome.org/news/201810/chromium-browser-pet-improved.html

Works also fine in Quirky Beaver64 8.7.1
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
rufwoof

Joined: 24 Feb 2014
Posts: 2636

PostPosted: Mon 15 Oct 2018, 15:39    Post subject:  

easyos.org/forum seems down at present, so reporting here ... 0.9.7 if you change the main desktops wallpaper, choice icons, remove the console and www containers, add some icons, remove others ... the changes don't always get preserved across reboots.
_________________
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
BarryK
Puppy Master


Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 8710
Location: Perth, Western Australia

PostPosted: Mon 15 Oct 2018, 20:31    Post subject:  

BarryK wrote:
Regarding Chromium, got it sorted, see blog post:

http://bkhome.org/news/201810/chromium-browser-pet-improved.html

@belham2
Uninstall the PET, and install the new one, then it should be ok to "containerize'.


It gets better, that annoying message at top of browser window is now removed, see the "bk3" PET:

http://bkhome.org/news/201810/chromium-browser-pet-improved.html

_________________
http://bkhome.org/news/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
BarryK
Puppy Master


Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 8710
Location: Perth, Western Australia

PostPosted: Tue 16 Oct 2018, 08:36    Post subject:  

belham2 wrote:
Only thing I changed is when the Container of Chromium was made, the icon that popped up on the desktop was the 16x16, with no purple-lock designating as a container item. Could barely see it, haha.


Thanks for reporting that. I have fixed the 'easy-containers' script so that it creates a correct icon on the desktop.

_________________
http://bkhome.org/news/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
rufwoof

Joined: 24 Feb 2014
Posts: 2636

PostPosted: Wed 17 Oct 2018, 11:27    Post subject:  

rufwoof wrote:
easyos.org/forum seems down at present, so reporting here ... 0.9.7 if you change the main desktops wallpaper, choice icons, remove the console and www containers, add some icons, remove others ... the changes don't always get preserved across reboots.

I think that may be due to how Puppy's implement jwm, rox pinboard backup's etc. and how in some cases pinboard changes can 'revert' apparently by itself.

Nice to have menus that update for changes, personally however I've tended to use jwm in a manually managed manner and encode everything into just the single .jwmrc file ... including startup commands etc.

_________________
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rufwoof

Joined: 24 Feb 2014
Posts: 2636

PostPosted: Wed 17 Oct 2018, 15:06    Post subject: Re: launch OK from terminal or jwm but not rox  

http://bkhome.org/news/201810/empty-and-script-utilities-for-easy-containers.html

I have in past encountered problems with rox not being compliant (old code that hasn't been updated in years) when using twm. Something like incomplete/inappropriate dbus signaling or simply just not been compliant. ???

_________________
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
dalderton

Joined: 22 Apr 2007
Posts: 177

PostPosted: Sat 10 Nov 2018, 00:49    Post subject: Hdd install  

Same MeLe minpc as Barry. Followed install instruction. Turn on with esc key engaged,opens boot options,choose UEFI OS option ,Save and Exit, goes to Easyos menu,select boot, looks for drive, shows "mmcblk0" continuous perhaps 20 times then "boot drive not found" "cant access tty job controll turnd off"
EASY working fine from thumb drive and I have tried all boot options in the boot order without success.
I am no expert but can follow instructions, any assistance would be appreciated.
Regards Dennis
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
BarryK
Puppy Master


Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 8710
Location: Perth, Western Australia

PostPosted: Sat 10 Nov 2018, 21:31    Post subject:  

belham2 wrote:
Easy 0.9.7 installed via EasyDD onto USB stick.............................. (hey, I have to ask: did you know when one uses EasyDD from inside any running Easy OS version, that once you open EasyDD & choose the gz.file and pick the correct USB stick, and hit "Continue", that the EasyDD popup disappers with no dialog and/or install status box pops up, and you're left to wonder what is going on? g. No finish popup, no communication popup, nothing. Yet, EasyDD installs the .gz file IF you know enough to wait however long despite being in the dark what is going on. Perhaps a dialog box of what's going on and when EasyDD is finished would be nice Wink )


I am going through the short-list, prior to releasing 0.9.8, including the above.

@belham2
I tested easydd in GUI mode, it puts up a window showing writing progress, right to completion.

I think that I read another post of yours, where you have removed rxvt/urxvt, replaced with roxterm?

There are many scripts that require xterm/rxvt/urxvt and will not work with others. In Easy, I have sakura, but still have to keep urxvt as sakura is not 100% commandline compatible -- the same goes for most other terminal emulators. That is why, just about all the distros keep xterm/rxvt/urxvt.

It seems, it is also why the final window is not appearing. easydd does a test for existence of rxvt or urxvt, will refuse to run if missing. If you have them as a symlink, to something else, easydd does run, but in your case, it seems, not properly.

In my test just now, got a rxvt terminal window, until the write completed, and then another window notifying that the write is complete.

_________________
http://bkhome.org/news/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
belham2

Joined: 15 Aug 2016
Posts: 1586

PostPosted: Mon 12 Nov 2018, 09:09    Post subject:  

BarryK wrote:
belham2 wrote:
Easy 0.9.7 installed via EasyDD onto USB stick.............................. (hey, I have to ask: did you know when one uses EasyDD from inside any running Easy OS version, that once you open EasyDD & choose the gz.file and pick the correct USB stick, and hit "Continue", that the EasyDD popup disappers with no dialog and/or install status box pops up, and you're left to wonder what is going on? g. No finish popup, no communication popup, nothing. Yet, EasyDD installs the .gz file IF you know enough to wait however long despite being in the dark what is going on. Perhaps a dialog box of what's going on and when EasyDD is finished would be nice Wink )


I am going through the short-list, prior to releasing 0.9.8, including the above.

@belham2
I tested easydd in GUI mode, it puts up a window showing writing progress, right to completion.

I think that I read another post of yours, where you have removed rxvt/urxvt, replaced with roxterm?

There are many scripts that require xterm/rxvt/urxvt and will not work with others. In Easy, I have sakura, but still have to keep urxvt as sakura is not 100% commandline compatible -- the same goes for most other terminal emulators. That is why, just about all the distros keep xterm/rxvt/urxvt.

It seems, it is also why the final window is not appearing. easydd does a test for existence of rxvt or urxvt, will refuse to run if missing. If you have them as a symlink, to something else, easydd does run, but in your case, it seems, not properly.

In my test just now, got a rxvt terminal window, until the write completed, and then another window notifying that the write is complete.



Ah hah, that makes 100% sense. I wasn't using rxvt or urxvt.

Thanks, Barry!

Over the years I have gotten a little exasperated with rxvt/urxvt because of (among a few things) I cannot highlight & copy and paste when using it. So I always used something like sakura, lxterminal and/or ROXterm. I'll remember from now on when using EasyDD to always do it through rxvt/urxvt.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
BarryK
Puppy Master


Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 8710
Location: Perth, Western Australia

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov 2018, 07:25    Post subject:  

belham2 wrote:
Over the years I have gotten a little exasperated with rxvt/urxvt because of (among a few things) I cannot highlight & copy and paste when using it. So I always used something like sakura, lxterminal and/or ROXterm. I'll remember from now on when using EasyDD to always do it through rxvt/urxvt.


I don't have any problem with copy and paste in rxvt/urxvt.

Drag the mouse pointer to highlight, then middle-click mouse button elsewhere to paste the highlighted text.

Or, highlight text anywhere else, then middle-click in rxvt to paste.

Can copy and paste with the rxvt terminal in the same way.

_________________
http://bkhome.org/news/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
BarryK
Puppy Master


Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 8710
Location: Perth, Western Australia

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov 2018, 07:30    Post subject:  

Easy 0.9.8 is out:

http://bkhome.org/news/201811/easyos-098-released.html

New SFSget package installer, new NetworkManager.

The GUI for NetworkManager is currently only the text-mode GUI that comes with the NM package, named 'nmtui'.

I plan to convert that to a proper graphical app, maybe using gtkdialog ...or, has that already been done somewhere?

There is 'network-manager-applet' package, a gtk3 tray applet, but I don't like it, also too many deps.

_________________
http://bkhome.org/news/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
FeodorF


Joined: 07 Jul 2010
Posts: 233
Location: Heidelberg, Germany

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov 2018, 14:22    Post subject:  

Boy you did a great job Barry!

Selecting a keyboard at first boot works. I used "12". Checked good too after Easy was up and running.

Screen driver "nouveau" works well too.

Internet via cable works at the desktop as well as in the container.

Had to use my sda1 and grub4DOS to boot into Easy. Guess my 10 year+ old Intel duo PC will never boot straight into the USB stick.

After closing Seamonkey in the container the wired connection went dead. Had to reconnect via the nmtui "Wired connection 1".

Greetings,
Feodor

add up: menu.lst looks like this
Code:
title easy (/sdb1)
  find --set-root /initrd.q
  kernel /vmlinuz rootwait rw
  initrd /initrd.q
Looks_Good.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   2.31 KB
 Viewed   291 Time(s)

Looks_Good.jpg


Last edited by FeodorF on Thu 15 Nov 2018, 04:51; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Billtoo


Joined: 07 Apr 2009
Posts: 3604
Location: Ontario Canada

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov 2018, 16:34    Post subject: EasyOS Pyro 0.9.8, November 14, 2018  

I installed to a 32gb flash drive.

I running from seamonkey in Racy.
That's it so far,
Will look around and try things out.
Thanks.
screenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   77.23 KB
 Viewed   258 Time(s)

screenshot.jpg

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
FeodorF


Joined: 07 Jul 2010
Posts: 233
Location: Heidelberg, Germany

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov 2018, 20:36    Post subject: seamonkey  

Correction right here.

I was using the locked Seamonkey browser not the browser in the container. Seamonkey in the container doesn't work for me at all - the other Seamonkies do.

Had to think hard how to close the container ... the MS$ key ... ALT+F4.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
BarryK
Puppy Master


Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 8710
Location: Perth, Western Australia

PostPosted: Yesterday, at 07:53    Post subject:  

FeodorF wrote:
After closing Seamonkey in the container the wired connection went dead. Had to reconnect via the nmtui "Wired connection 1".


Yes, this is a bug! Killing any container, kills 'dhcpcd', which kills the Internet. There is a quick way to bring it back:

https://easyos.org/forum/index.php?topic=28.msg228#msg228

I think that I know how to fix it. Thanks for reporting it.

I am hoping to work through this and other "teething" problems, and 0.9.9 will have pretty much stabilized the underlying infrastructure. Then should be on the home-run to release 1.0 ...by Christmas?
Maybe sooner!

_________________
http://bkhome.org/news/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 71 of 72 [1068 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 69, 70, 71, 72 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1012s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0338s) ][ GZIP on ]