EasyOS version 2.3.2, June 22, 2020

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: EasyOS 2,3 installation

#2501 Post by BarryK »

lp-dolittle wrote:@ Barry

Hi Barry,

maybe, the following observations are of interest to you.

Mainly driven by curiosity, I tested an installation variant for EasyOS 2.3 which I actually expected to cause an error message. Instead, EasyOS showed a surprising reaction. The screenshots (see attachment) illustrate my procedure:

1. After booting EasyOS 2.3 RC from an external HD (sdb; IDE; 6 GB; entire drive populated) on a laptop with an internal HD (sda1), I executed the command <gunzip --stdout easy-2.3-amd64.img.gz | of=/dev/sdb bs=1M> while running sakura in the folder /mnt/sda1/easy 2.3RC. (screenshot 1)

2. To my surprise, no error message appeared, despite sdb2 was mounted and the dd command had to copy EasyOS 2.3 onto this partition. The result is shown in screenshot 2.
It is not surprising, 'dd' knows nothing about mounted state of partitions. It just writes to the drive. Having a mounted partition may cause weird interactions between the filesystem driver/kernel and dd.

That is one reason why I recommend use easydd. It checks if any partitions are mounted and unmounts them.

This issue is particularly important with other distributions that automount partitions.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2502 Post by BarryK »

shevy wrote:Is there a description how busybox's init is setup? And how to work with it?

I am avoiding systemd but I would also like to explore alternatives to sysvinit, sysv, runit etc...
Well, Easy has busybox init, enhanced with pup_event.

In a running EasyOS, in /usr/local/pup_event, you will find two html documents that explain pup_event. Also online, similar docs:

https://bkhome.org/docs/pup_event/pup_e ... gement.htm

https://bkhome.org/docs/pup_event/pup_event_ipc.htm

As to how busybox init works... trying "busybox init" in google search...

https://subscription.packtpub.com/book/ ... sybox-init

https://busybox.net/downloads/BusyBox.html#init

http://etutorials.org/Linux+systems/emb ... alization/

...that's just looking for a couple of minutes, there is more info out there.

lp-dolittle

EasyOS 2.3 installation

#2503 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ Barry,

Hi Barry,

thank you for your explanation!

As it seems, my question was not precise enough. I still do not really understand why dd-ing the EasyOS 2,3 image onto a mounted partition results in a <quasi-functioning> installation that shows features which are not typical of the standard version; I rather expected a not bootable result and assumed that this also might be due to the fact that the operating system, while executing the <gunzip --stdout easy-2.3-amd64.img.gz | dd of=/dev/sdb bs=1M> command, was not running totally in RAM,

So, I started another test. While running Quirky 8.8.1 totally in RAM on my laptop, I attached the external IDE-HD (sdb) onto which I previously had installed EasyOS 2.3 correctly. Thereafter, I intentionally mounted sdb2 and executed the <gunzip --stdout easy-2.3-amd64.img.gz | dd of=/dev/sdb bs=1M> command. In contrast to my yesterday reported result (quasi-functioning EasyOS 2.3), the current procedure was totally unsuccessful; the installation proved to be 'not bootable' (error message: <unable to mount sdb2>).

How to explain the difference between the results of the two inappropriate installation procedures?
Don't feel obliged to respond, in the case that you consider both results possible 'weird' reactions to the mistaken dd-ing onto a mounted drive. I would not like to be too boring!

thank you again, and kind regards!

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2504 Post by BarryK »

doggone wrote:Another problem for me is the missing command genisoimage which is needed for PeasyDisk to write files to disk.
EasyOS and EasyPup have peasydisc version 3.7, which uses 'mkisofs' from the 'cdrtools' package. It does not use 'genisoimage' (which is the rough equivalent of mkisofs, in the cdrkit package, debians replacement for cdrtools).

I see that there is a later version of peasydisc, 5.1. Looked at that, it also does not use genisoimage.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: EasyOS 2.3 installation

#2505 Post by BarryK »

lp-dolittle wrote:@ Barry,

Hi Barry,

thank you for your explanation!

As it seems, my question was not precise enough. I still do not really understand why dd-ing the EasyOS 2,3 image onto a mounted partition results in a <quasi-functioning> installation that shows features which are not typical of the standard version; I rather expected a not bootable result and assumed that this also might be due to the fact that the operating system, while executing the <gunzip --stdout easy-2.3-amd64.img.gz | dd of=/dev/sdb bs=1M> command, was not running totally in RAM,

So, I started another test. While running Quirky 8.8.1 totally in RAM on my laptop, I attached the external IDE-HD (sdb) onto which I previously had installed EasyOS 2.3 correctly. Thereafter, I intentionally mounted sdb2 and executed the <gunzip --stdout easy-2.3-amd64.img.gz | dd of=/dev/sdb bs=1M> command. In contrast to my yesterday reported result (quasi-functioning EasyOS 2.3), the current procedure was totally unsuccessful; the installation proved to be 'not bootable' (error message: <unable to mount sdb2>).

How to explain the difference between the results of the two inappropriate installation procedures?
Don't feel obliged to respond, in the case that you consider both results possible 'weird' reactions to the mistaken dd-ing onto a mounted drive. I would not like to be too boring!

thank you again, and kind regards!
Yes, I think that the conflicts might be unpredictable.

usr2020c

#2506 Post by usr2020c »

Hi to all.
I have been reading a lot about but have 0 experience with Linux. EasyOs is one of the most interesting,
1. I wonder if the containers solve the security problem with XORG where any program can see any window and intercept the key events of any other.
If not, is it posiible to install Enlightment [or KDE or Gnome but these are too heavy] instead of JWM-Rox and get a working Wayland ? [idk if Enlightment is really ready with Wayland].
2. Since sadly in Linux there seems not to be a working equivalent to ZoneAlarm, Comodo FW etc where one can easily block outgoing connections of apps one by one as/when they try to 'call home', can the containers be used to restrict internet conection per app? [like in making desktop shortcuts with a firejail --net=none vlc in them], or can the containers be used toghether with Firejail ?

Thx.

doggone

#2507 Post by doggone »

BarryK wrote:
doggone wrote:Another problem for me is the missing command genisoimage which is needed for PeasyDisk to write files to disk.
EasyOS and EasyPup have peasydisc version 3.7, which uses 'mkisofs' from the 'cdrtools' package. It does not use 'genisoimage' (which is the rough equivalent of mkisofs, in the cdrkit package, debians replacement for cdrtools).

I see that there is a later version of peasydisc, 5.1. Looked at that, it also does not use genisoimage.

Barry

I believe my post about peasydisk and genisoimage deserves some further consideration.

Using Easypup-2.3, peasydisk verssion 3.7, tab Advanced, top dialog box; When you drag a folder into this dialog box and select the write button intending to write a folder to a DVD, you get the following response:
-------------------------------
Executing 'genisoimage -r -D -iso-level 4 -f /mnt/sda4/Backup_Old | builtin_dd of=/dev/sr0 obs=32k seek=0'
:-( unable to execute genisoimage: No such file or directory
:-( write failed: Input/output error

Press Enter
--------------------------------
I tried Peasydisk Version 5.1 and received same results as above.
Added genisoimage with petget and peasydisk works fine.
Please examine this further.

Caneri

#2508 Post by Caneri »

Hi All,

Just an update for EasyOS2.3

Webcam still not working but a text file I ran across says the webcam is referenced as a virtual keyboard. Now I can't find the text file that says that. Grr.

I also have some new Sandisk Ultra Fit usb sticks and this seems to fix my boot/shutdown issues as well as corruption in the file system and a bad superblock.

It was the sticks all the time it appears. They are off to the shop to meet the hammer and good riddance for "Instor Instor" sticks. Avoid these sticks.

Barry said:

Rodney Byne wrote:
Barry,
Again a kernel panic on bootup.
Am going back to using the stick with 2.2.16 on it
at least that works.

You have previously reported bootup errors that look very much like you have a faulty stick. I suggest that you buy a new, good quality, usb-stick, such as a Sandisk Ultra

LibreOffice Writer froze up the other day requiring a shutdown via the power button. Maybe needs more temp file space? I can't see how to change the temp file size or whatever it uses for temp. I'll look further.

Thanks Barry. This is a keeper for me.
Best,
Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

scsijon

#2509 Post by scsijon »

Little note for barryK and any other builders interested.

pnscan has just been updated to 1.13 and can now be found at https://github.com/ptrrkssn/pnscan/archive/v1.13.tar.gz;

and libnsl has been 'outsourced' from libc and can now be found at https://github.com/thkukuk/libnsl/archi ... 2.0.tar.gz, it may be needed to be added to your packageset;

and finally gimp is well on the way to with version 3 for gtk+3, with 2.99.2 available for testing at https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/a ... er.tar.bz2 if anyone's interested in having a go, but be warned it's a bit unstable still.

lp-dolittle

EasyOS 2.3

#2510 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ Barry

Hi Barry,

running on my Dell Studio 1745 laptop, EasyOS 2.3 still shows a persistent black screen when the lid has been closed for some time; an issue of minor relevance which is known from previous releases, and might be an item quite down on your to-do list. Mentioning the phenomenon in the next release notes maybe could be helpful to new users.

The problem still can be resolved by shortly pressing the power-button. Since the screen seems to recover 'gradually', repetitions may be required.

kind regards

Good Direct

Easy OS 2.3

#2511 Post by Good Direct »

Hello everyone!

For me, too, the screen turns off when I close the lid. When I open it, it is still bright at first and then darkens. When I press the power button, the screen turns on. (Lenovo Idepad 520).

Works well on three computers (Samsung N154P, Lenovo Idepad 520, Asus x550vx)
The Samsung netbbok is a bit slower and maybe a lot of the 800MB of memory usage here, but it's very good that I'm using the same backup file, the same desktop, sitting in front of any machine.
Krita works well, the wacom inituos tablet works plug and play and has pressure sensitivity. (_ / \ _)

Softmaker FreeOffice is working good, this is my prefer office program :)

greetings

FeodorF

#2512 Post by FeodorF »

@Caneri

Hi Caneri,

are you using a nvidia card with the failing LibreOffice?

Older GS/GT 9xxx series cards don't like 'buster', but work
great with 'pyro'.

Newer nvidia cards with GeForce GT 710B work well with LibreOffice Writer.

Greetings,
Feodor

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2513 Post by BarryK »

doggone wrote:
BarryK wrote:

Barry

I believe my post about peasydisk and genisoimage deserves some further consideration.

Using Easypup-2.3, peasydisk verssion 3.7, tab Advanced, top dialog box; When you drag a folder into this dialog box and select the write button intending to write a folder to a DVD, you get the following response:
Executing 'genisoimage -r -D -iso-level 4 -f /mnt/sda4/Backup_Old | builtin_dd of=/dev/sr0 obs=32k seek=0'

Press Enter
Have you installed 'cdrkit'? That would mess things up. EasyOS and EasyPup use 'cdrtools'.

cdrtools has /usr/bin/mkisofs. If you installed a package that has 'genisoimage', it may also have replaced mkisofs with a symlink to genisoimage.

Caneri

#2514 Post by Caneri »

Hi FeodorF,

I have Intel on this lappy.
This laptop (Acer E17) has had problems from the start so it's a matter of dealing with this laptop as well as looking to see if it's the OS. Grrr.

I had Writer and Calc open at the same time and had used Calc heavily that day so it could be just temp space or?

I need to go to Libre web site and their forum.

Best,
Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

doggone

#2515 Post by doggone »

BarryK wrote:
doggone wrote:
BarryK wrote: EasyOS and EasyPup have peasydisc version 3.7, which uses 'mkisofs' from the 'cdrtools' package. It does not use 'genisoimage' (which is the rough equivalent of mkisofs, in the cdrkit package, debians replacement for cdrtools).

Barry

Press Enter
Have you installed 'cdrkit'? That would mess things up. EasyOS and EasyPup use 'cdrtools'.

cdrtools has /usr/bin/mkisofs. If you installed a package that has 'genisoimage', it may also have replaced mkisofs with a symlink to genisoimage.
No I have not installed 'cdrkit'. I have not installed anything. I am using Easypub 2.3 pristine as it was received from distro.ibiblio.org. Created a DVD from easypup-2.3-en.iso. Booted up on the created DVD. Mkisofs is present and it's size is 454k. My trouble of peasydisc not able to write a folder to a DVD is duplicable without ever creating a save file.

Here is another easy way you can test Peasydisc failing. Just try to blank a DVD+RW. When I try it I get the following:
-------------------------
WARNING: /dev/sr1 already carries isofs!
About to execute 'genisoimage -r -D -iso-level 4 -f /tmp/.null | builtin_dd of=/dev/sr1 obs=32k seek=0'

Press Enter
-------------------------
Peasydisc fails on two different desktops with different mother boards and DVD writers. Please try this and if it works for you, I'll chalk it up as my equipment is faulty and I will just go away. I have a solution for myself, I just can't believe I am the only one having trouble using this utility and I was only trying to help.

FeodorF

Acer Aspire E 17

#2516 Post by FeodorF »

@Caneri

Hi Eric!

Just did a 'DuckDuckGo' on your Acer E 17.

It shows:

a) Acer Aspire E 17 (E5-774G-540F) 43,9 cm (17,3 Zoll HD+) Laptop
(Intel Core i5-7200U, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD + 1.000GB HDD, GeForce 940MX

b) Intel Core i5-5200U 2.2 GHz (3 MB Cache) 8 GB DDR3L SDRAM 1 TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
17.3-Inch Full HD Screen, NVIDIA GeForce 940M with 4GB VRAM

Is one of them correct for your side? Using a GeForce 940M/MX?

Regards,
Feodor

Caneri

#2517 Post by Caneri »

Hi FeodorF,

Here's my lappy.
https://icecat.biz/en/p/acer/nx.ms2aa.0 ... 57842.html

It has Intel HD graphics onboard.

it says vendor unknown...grrr.

It's very difficult to find out about this laptop. Acer has limited info online and won't share the info it seems.

I haven't had time to read the Libre forum yet.

Sorry to hijack your thread Barry.

Best,
Eric
Chinese Proverb[/color]

FeodorF

LibreOffice Writer Calc

#2518 Post by FeodorF »

@BarryK
@Caneri

Hi Eric,

I did some testing with LibreOffice and my system froze too, as soon as I opened Calc and Writer within the same window/panel.

Using all three of the panels/windows EasyOS offers like

1 used for Seamonkey
2 used for the LibreOffice Writer
3 used for the LibreOffice Calc

cured the problem. Hope that this will clear your problem too.

Greetings,
Feodor
Attachments
LibreOffice_Calc-Writer_test.png
(13.33 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
LibreOffice_Calc-Writer_test2.png
(9.59 KiB) Downloaded 180 times

belham2

#2519 Post by belham2 »

Barry and everyone,

What's the easy way (or is it not possible?) to run the latest Firefox-ESR 68.9.0 (which has some significant and important security updates) on EasyOS v 2.3 in Container-mode?

I downloaded Barry's latest Firefox SFS 68.7.0. This also brought the amd.sfs dependency.

I then tried my old trick where I unsquashfs-ed Barry's 68.7.0 SFS (it's in the /mnt/wkg/sfs/easyos/debian/buster/ directory and there you find the Barry's sfs ownload). I stayed there in that directory folder and then transferred in to the unsquashed firefox 68.7.0 /usr/lib/firefox folder what was in Firefox_68.9.0's folder that I had already downloaded & xarchived opened. I retained the Firefox.bin file Barry made for 68.7.0 but everything else was transferred in to only the /use/lib/firefox folder. Re-squashed it all, left name the same, and....

.....then I let SFSGet install it into a container "new", and everything goes ok until you click on the desktop Firefox Container Icon created and it won't launch. In fact, can't get it to launch even going back to the /usr/lib/firefox folder in the directory mentioned above.

So what's the simple trick to be able to run the latest browsers in containers in EASYOS without having to wait for sfs browser updates from Barry? Isn't there anything we users can do to take some load off Barry in this regard???

tom22251

simple trick

#2520 Post by tom22251 »

@ belham2
Hi belham2

simple (dirty) trick: unsquash -> take out the folder with the
firefox binary, rename it FF (to keep it simple) place it in /opt.
In /usr/bin make a small script: firefox, with the content:

#!/bin/sh
exec /opt/FF/firefox "$@"

and that's all. It works 100% with no container, I confess never
to use containers.

Be well,

Tom
Attachments
8.png
(13.57 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
7.png
(58.21 KiB) Downloaded 136 times