Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 25 Apr 2017, 01:05
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Firefox 45.8 esr in Slacko5.7
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
8Geee

PostPosted: Mon 13 Mar 2017, 23:32    Post subject:  Firefox 45.8 esr in Slacko5.7
Subject description: testing in mini-eee spin

Recently the 45.8 esr was released (Mar. 7, 2017) and tonite (US E. Coast) I got this configured a la FF27 in my eeePC spins. I used default unpacking in /~ to see if it would crash. FF45.7 esr had a nasty habit of crashing if the FF27 configuration within the distro was used. Thus the default unpacking is needed. So now it takes three clicks to remove.

One other thing noted was that the 45.7 esr was not mobile... that is it would epic crash after remaster. "I think" the solution is to also export the (dot)cache mozilla files. during remaster... something not needed in FF27. In spitee of this, I DID have a single first-run crash. Clicking on the restart button apparently fixed that. No problems on starts since (raps wooden head for luck).

I did a 45.8 esr remaster with the cache included. A note here to spin-makers and/or developers to open and configure FF45.8, then close and reopen, then shutdown. Upon restart it should be ready to. FF458 might crash on initial restart depending upon configuration. Mine includes AdBlocker Ultimate, YouTube ALL HTML5, D/L Youtube as mp4, and FireFTP. Redirect Cleaner and Better Privacy have been ignored for now. Lotsa stuff in about/config got tweaked, mostly for "reporting", SSL/TLS, cache mgmt, No loop, Pocket, and Sync, and search engine "helpers" get the boot along with auto-complete.

So far so good on Slacko5.7-nonPAE type. Just one financial institution "requires" me to upgrade past FF35, and for farts and giggles am trying this out. I do note that HTML5 webpages function better, and getting rid of FF's error-script screens now function (45.7 esr did not: no UI box popup) and this might be one of the security patches in this version. FF27 no pdfjs works a treat.

If you are stumbling a bit with PulseAudio, FF45.8esr is the 52.0 equivilent w/o PulseAudio required.

OK, thats enough for now
Regards
8Geee

Linux user #498913
8Geee

PostPosted: Tue 18 Apr 2017, 17:02    Post subject:  

For those interested, I have uploaded the default FF45.8esr here.

Regards
8Geee

Linux user #498913
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: