Yet another basic remaster script for frugal install

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
nic007

#31 Post by nic007 »

belham2 wrote:nic007 (and musher),

Just wanted to say again this little script is useful! The whiteout files thing is the only thing that is bothersome (but easily enough ignored). Though if you both could get the 'white-out files' issue resolved, this script would be perfect. :wink:

Thks again.
Hi Belham2. I think I have good news for you. The remaster script posted below does indeed seem to get rid of files you have deleted in the base sfs. I've just checked with Wary Puppy. I deleted a few files in /usr/bin, did a remaster and bingo, gone in the remaster. :)

musher0

#32 Post by musher0 »

nic007 wrote:Hi, musher0. Thanks for your input. Few things:

rxvt -e compression line not working on my Puppys. Had to change $MksQ to mksquashfs $FilSys /mnt/home/$PUPPYSFS...

Content of save file is not copied.

I see you have only copied the ro's. I think the best way will be to copy all mounted stuff (including adrv, fdrv, ydrv, zdrv) all in one base sfs. But this will have to be in the correct sequence as people put all kinds of things in these drives. Not sure if your method of copying them all at once is going to work unless the listing sequence is absolutely correct.

The script does not deal with white-out files (record of "deleted" base files). The original files are showed in the remastered sfs. I would like these files to be deleted permanently. Can you assist with this?

In co-op nic007.
Hi nic007,

As I said, that was a suggested edit of your version 2. By the time I
had finished, you had released your version 3 !!!

adrv, fdrv, etc. were meant as separate sfs's and can stay separate, IMO.

In particular, the zdrv. That's where the kernel drivers and similar are. It's
very important to have it alongside the main puppy sfs, but it is not
necessary to blend the zdrv into the remaster.

As to the proper order of copy, it applies to the pup_rw. It should be
copied last. The code on line 37 of my edit should have copied the
pupsave file. That's strange, no problem here.

For the pup_ro? files, I believe my

Code: Select all

mount | awk '/_ro/'
and following lines above do a good job of it. They certainly save bytes
compared to the mile-long line you're using!? ;) The "tac" utility is also
respecting the reverse order in which you decided to do things in your
version 3.

I touched up the RxvT line in my script above, replacing English quotation
marks (") with German quotation marks ('). I had no problem on the
DPupStretch-7, but maybe that small change will bring success with your
version of rxvt.

I'll see what I can find on removing the "whiteouts".

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

mfb

#33 Post by mfb »

I have used the new version, Remasterpup(BaseSFS).zip, on Xenial-64-7.0.7 and tahr-64-6.0.5 both of which I run entirely in RAM.

Both tests resulted in total success and nic007's code, with its clear and helpful advice windows on available options at the decision stages made it a pleasure to use.

I only use 3 files - initrd.gz, vmlinuz and the main (remastered) sfs because I run entirely in RAM and do not need a save file, folder or dedicated save partition nor do I need to make any choices when booting.

I thoroughly recommend readers to try it on their frugal installs (after precautionary renaming of any current file(s) before using your remastered sfs - per nic007's opening post) and then report back with details of where they tried it and how they found it.

nic007

#34 Post by nic007 »

Added final versions of Remasterpup(ISO-CD) and Remasterpup(Base SFS) to opening post.

nic007

#35 Post by nic007 »

Users encouraged to use either version of Remasterpup instead. It seems to deal correctly with white-out files and builtin applications removed by the "Remove builtin packages" application seems to be removed accordingly.

nic007

#36 Post by nic007 »

Replaced Quick Base Remaster version now fully automatic. Read comments at top of script.

nic007

#37 Post by nic007 »

Quick Base Remaster discontinued and replaced by Remasterpup(Auto). This version requires no user input. Read comments at beginning of the script (right-click > open as text) for more information. Script attached to opening post.

B.K. Johnson

#38 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@nic007
I took a quick peek at the notes in the script. Some clarifications:
1. What do you mean when you write
The zdrv (which normally contain drivers) will be kept seperately(sic).
'? Being in the same note that states that the adrive and ydrive are included infers that those are not separate - 'bundled'. Or do you mean the zdrive is excluded and unchanged? So it must be manually added to complete the package?
the remastered sfs file will be pre-configured for use on the same computer.
Does this mean it can't be used on any other computer?
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

nic007

#39 Post by nic007 »

Hi. The BaseSFS and Auto versions are cut-down versions and will not include the zdrv into the base sfs. If you have a current zdrv it will be kept seperate from the base sfs. If you don't have a zdrv, a seperate one will be created. The result will be two files, a remastered base sfs and a zdrv. Both needs to be in the puppy folder at boot time. I've made this the default behaviour because your zdrv generally only contain drivers... and to limit the option screens in the BaseSFS version.. The iso/cd version gives another option screen where you can choose to have a seperate zdrv or that it be included in the base sfs. If you choose it to be included, it will be included and you don't need the zdrv anymore. In all versions, the adrv and ydrv are included like loaded extra sfs files.

If the remastered sfs is pre-configured for use on the same computer, it may or may not run on a different machine. It will depend if you can get xorg going (which you will probably not). So, if the system is going to be used on a different computer run either the BaseSFS or ISO versions where you have a choice.

nic007

#40 Post by nic007 »

Added a .pet for the Remasterpup Suite to opening post and software section.

Pelo

my remasterized ISOs, were big, anormally big

#41 Post by Pelo »

That is worth a try. I have not been remastering any Puppy for a long time. I did it wen i burn my CDs.. i remember that my remasterized ISOs, were big, anormally big compared to stufff added.. I am interested by remasterizing, as i don't want to out my fingers in Woof-ce,
I tried Woofy to in the past..

nic007

#42 Post by nic007 »

Hi, Pelo. Final version of the remaster suite here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=110880