What to install for compiling in Slacko?

discuss compiling applications for Puppy
jcoles

What to install for compiling in Slacko?

#1 Post by jcoles »

In Ubuntu,there's a build-essentials package that installs just about everything you need for compilation. Is there an equivalent in puppy?

(Sadly, I'm talking about slackopup. I'd prefer to use the Ubuntu-compatible tahr64-6.0.5, but can't because it has a fatal kernel panic.)

My trial compilation is fldigi, which I have easily compiled many times on Ubuntu and Fedora platforms. But on puppy I can't get past the ./configure stage. "C++ compiler cannot create executables. See config.log" it says.

config.log looks OK until:

Code: Select all

configure:3779: g++ -V >&5
g++: error: unrecognized command line option '-V'
g++: fatal error: no input files
compilation terminated.
configure:3790: $? = 1
configure:3779: g++ -qversion >&5
g++: error: unrecognized command line option '-qversion'
g++: fatal error: no input files
compilation terminated.
configure:3790: $? = 1
configure:3810: checking whether the C++ compiler works
configure:3832: g++    conftest.cpp  >&5
g++: error trying to exec 'as': execvp: No such file or directory
I tried to attach the whole log file. But, it seems that's not allowed!

What could possibly be wrong?

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Grab the appropriate "devx" pkg. You'll find it in the same folder from where you download the ISO.

Keef

#3 Post by Keef »

Semme beat me to it. Also try the first page of the Slacko thread (in Puppy Projects) for the links (either the 32 or 64 bit version).

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

Ah, forgot Slacko has an SFS_Manager.

==

Hey Keef, wouldn't it be great if we knew who was work'n on the same thread before tap'n the submit button?

:D There's gotta be an app for that!
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

jcoles

#5 Post by jcoles »

Semme wrote:Grab the appropriate "devx" pkg. You'll find it in the same folder from where you download the ISO.
I've seen "devx" mentioned before, but the package manager knows nothing about it. Are sfs files not packages?

I found, downloaded and installed the devx file. It has solved the problem. Thanks.

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

Think of Pups conveniently "squashed" pkg offerings as the POP-UP tents of the Linux world.
Attachments
pup_popup.jpeg
(6.42 KiB) Downloaded 535 times
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: What to install for compilation in Slacko?

#7 Post by Flash »

jcoles wrote:...I tried to attach the whole log file. But, it seems that's not allowed!
How big was the log file and in what format? If it's not too long, the forum should allow you to simply copy and paste it into your post. (Put it in quotes for clarity and easier reading.) However, if it's miles long, that makes the whole page extremely long so don't do it.