Some .pets and packages work in Tahr and some don't.

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
zippy12

Some .pets and packages work in Tahr and some don't.

#1 Post by zippy12 »

Other than not knowing what I'm doing .
I think I've read about everything I can about installing PETs and other packages , I still can't get some of these to actually do something.
I'm using Tahrpup and some things install and run with ease , but others do nothing.
I started using puppy a few months ago and my experience level is near the bottom.
How can I make the ones work that don't?

davids45

File lists in .packages

#2 Post by davids45 »

G'day zippy12,
Installing a .pet should produce a listing of the files contained in that pet and where they were saved to in the /root/.packages/ directory.

So, to check if the .pet was actually installed, have a Rox-look in the (hidden) .packages directory for this listing.

If the list exists, then look for any files saved to a 'bin' directory, such as /usr/bin/ - these are usually what starts/runs the program. Sometimes the executable file goes into the /opt/ directory so check there too.

If you find what looks like a program-running executable file, then open a terminal/console, navigate to the directory with the likely file (you'll need to use the cd command to change the terminal's directory) and once there, type the executable's name into the terminal and hit <Enter>.
Any terminal message will maybe indicate where the problem lies (but not the solution necessarily).

You may get lucky :) and the program will run from this terminal <Enter>. If so, drag the bin file to the pinboard/desktop and see if clicking the icon also gets it to run.

I hope this will give you more information to report with to the Forum when a .pet fails.

And give the name of the .pet too, of course :wink: .

David S.

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

Always, always, always tell use what specific version of Puppy you are using.
Tahr could be version 6.0 or 6.0.2 or 6.0.3 or 6.0.5 or 6.0.6.
They are all slightly different.

Tahrpup 6.0.6 was just released for testing/bug fixing.

Basic info on installing additional programs.

Program packages need to be compiled for Puppy for the best chance to work. Puppy has it's own way of doing things.
Program packages are available in several ways. What you are looking for is probably available in one of them.

Puppy Package Manager(PPM), that is installed with the version of Puppy Linux you have, is the best place to get new programs. It will open, showing programs that are known to work on your version of Puppy.
1. Run Puppy Package Manager.
2. Left mouse click on a listed program.
3. Follow install directions
4. Program installs.

Depending on the version of Puppy you have, the package manager will have option to get packages from repositories other then Puppy repositories. The package manager will need to be configured for them.
This is how:
Run Puppy Package Manager (PPM)
Select configure package manager.
Select the repositories you want to show.
Select update now.
After the update process, (it will take some time to update).
Close and restart PPM.
Should now see your new repositories at top of PPM window.
You then select the one you want to show in listings.
Note:
When getting packages from non-Puppy repositories, make sure you click on examine dependencies button (if offered) and download and install any identified as needed along with program package.
(newest version of PPM does this automatically)

Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff)section of this forum is the next best place to look. However, you must keep in mind that you will find programs that where originally compiled under a specific version of Puppy and they may or may not work with your version.
General rule is to read the posting for the program pet and see if there is any info that would indicate what version of Puppy it will work under.
Most of the stuff will work on a large portion of Puppies, but not 100% guaranteed.
You may find more then one version of a program. Sometimes that makes a difference.
1. Find a program you want.
2. Open the program thread.
3. find the link for downloading the program pet.
4. Left mouse click on the link
5. Follow the directions to either install or save.
(If you save the pet file you can install by viewing the pet file in Rox-Filer (file manager) and left click on it)
Last edited by bigpup on Fri 03 Mar 2017, 07:26, edited 1 time in total.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

Some of your problems could be the version of Tahrpup you are using. It has been updated with bug fixes from it's initial release at version 6.0

If using Tahrpup you need to be using Tahrpup 6.0.5.

If you started with a earlier version of Tahrpup make sure to run Quickpet->Info->Tahrpup updates.
Run this update several times to make sure you get all the updates.
Also check for new updates every week or so.

Example:
If you started with Tahrpup 6.0
The Tahrpup updates will update in stages.
Tahrpup 6.0.2
Tahrpup 6.0.3
Tahrpup 6.0.5

So, you will need to run Tahrpup updates 3 times to get them all.

A lot of improvements to programs and bug fixes in those updates.
YaPI(any iso installer)

foxpup

#5 Post by foxpup »

If you have an old machine, you could have problems with the capabilities of the CPU.
Palemoon for example, that is the browser in Tahr, needs SSE2. My oldest machine only has SSE, so palemoon does not run. Firefox otoh does.

Also pay attention to 32bit or 64bit versions.

And there can be trouble with media apps (youtube-dl, vlc...) in Tahr. I do not know if the libav/ffmpeg issue has been taken care of with the updates/fixes.

zippy12

Installing packages

#6 Post by zippy12 »

Tahrpup 6.0.5...........palemoon works without any issues at all........I've successfully installed Aircrack-ng , drivers for my Dell a720 printer , a Ralink USB WiFi adapter and many more , but there are some things that just will not install.
I came to Puppy to get away from Microsoft monopoly and am very glad I did , but would like to be able to use programs that I like.
The one thing I've neglected to do is check for updates...........I'll try that next.

rcrsn51

Re: Installing packages

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

zippy12 wrote:but there are some things that just will not install.
Name some, so people can help you.

dancytron

#8 Post by dancytron »

rcrsn51 wrote:
zippy12 wrote:but there are some things that just will not install.
Name some, so people can help you.
And tell us what you mean by "won't install". Does the install error out? Does it appear to install but there is nothing in the menu to run it with? Does it appear to install but when you try to run it nothing happens?

zippy12

Installing packages

#9 Post by zippy12 »

One example ..........I went to quickpet and took an interest in temperature sensor...........I clicked it , downloaded all the PETs , followed the same procedures I used on other apps ( I must have done something right because MOST of the others worked ) , but got nothing........I would have settled for an error message , but didn't even get that.
I tried to install Firefox from quick pets but got a message that something was missing from the repository.
Some of the things I got from this forum work and some don't.

foxpup

#10 Post by foxpup »

I didn't get the temperature sensor to work either. I remember I found about it in the forum, but it was not that easy to fix. So I didn't bother.
You could google. With 'puppy linux temp sensor tahr' I got to this thread:http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=102015
I think you can also find info inside the cputemp pet.

For firefox it should be easy. Do you know what is missing? Find out and install it with the package manager. You can find out with a tool with dependencies in the name. It is in the menu or you find the .desktop (to put on the desktop) in /usr/share/applications.

6502coder

#11 Post by 6502coder »

Here's a shell script that uses brute force to try to find usable cpu temperature info. It's very low-tech, but it's better than nothing. Download it, rename it to remove the fake ".zip" extension, and then open a terminal in the folder where "cpuDialog.sh" is placed, and issue these commands:

Code: Select all

chmod  +x  cpuDialog.sh
./cpuDialog.sh
Attachments
cpuDialog.sh.zip
simple shell script to show CPU temp. Remove fake &quot;.zip&quot; extension.
(769 Bytes) Downloaded 199 times

smokey01

#12 Post by smokey01 »

I find the most common problem for an app not working is missing dependencies. Open a terminal and type: which appname

This will show you where the app is located. Now navigate to the location. It will probably be somewhere like /usr/bin

Once you get to the location, in a terminal type: ldd appname or just the appname and it will display some information. If you have missing dependencies they will be displayed.

bigpup

#13 Post by bigpup »

Quickpet needs a little updating.
Some of those programs have moved on to newer and better versions.

There is only one person controlling the offerings in Quickpet, so give him some understanding.
He is also the only person really working on Tahrpup.

That temp program has moved on to a newer program.
See if this works for you.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=98299

As you can see from the topic. Even this program had issues in the beginning.
Software for Puppy, never really gets developed, until it is released and people try using it.
We all help the developer test what he thinks he just made.
As puppy versions change and hardware changes, new issues pop up.
YaPI(any iso installer)

foxpup

#14 Post by foxpup »

bigpup wrote:We all help the developer test what he thinks he just made.
And that is part of the fun with puppy!! It's a community working ;-)

zippy12

Installing packages

#15 Post by zippy12 »

I can see from what I've read that there's a lot of issues causing my dilemma , but I think my biggest issue is my lack of experience with this new ( to me ) system.
I guess im having trouble getting all those years of windows out of my head.

Semme

#16 Post by Semme »

You can test run any binary by downloading, then extracting your pkg in /tmp.

Launch binaries outside the "PATH" variable with a rt-clk, window, "terminal here"
then "./binary_name" or, DOT_FORWARDSLASH_BINARYNAME type deal to see the messages.

The beauty of this method relies on the fact that items placed in this directory don't survive a reboot.

As Smokey a few posts back hinted >> https://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-sh ... ement.html
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

zippy12

Installing packages

#17 Post by zippy12 »

Thanks for all the reply and help................I think what I need is a nooby guide to using puppy Linux..........I'm still in baby step mode.

foxpup

#18 Post by foxpup »

[quote="zippy12"]Thanks for all the reply and help................I think what I need is a nooby guide to using puppy Linux..........I'm still in baby step mode.

zippy12

Installing packages

#19 Post by zippy12 »

Oh yes , I really don't know yet , but will................I think back to my first experience with a "computer"........... It was my kids' Commodore.............. Learned a small bit there , but moved on to help Bill get rich ( windows) and as I look back ,I've concluded I stayed with and spent too much money on windows.
I only spend about an hour a day in front of Puppy these days.