Woof CE Debian Stretch and Devuan Ascii Based Development

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
foxpup

samba not working in dPupStretch from OscarTalks

#721 Post by foxpup »

I use the build from OscarTalks all the time. Since he put it on offer in this thread I report this here. I do not know (yet) whether this applies to the 'main' RC Stretch build from radky too. I will look for that.

The problem is samba. It is not installed properly. It asks for sambalibs of an earlier version: version 4.2.14 (jessie!) whereas 4.5.12 is supposed for stretch.

OscarTalks

#722 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello foxpup,

For anyone who is wanting to try Dpup Stretch now I would recommend that the build by Radky should be their first stop. I think there is a good chance that samba will be fully working in that.

My version is based on a build published some time ago by billtoo, although it is now extensively remastered. I do still use it at home for browsing, media and some other tasks.
It is mainly a personal test-bed though. I do update the .iso from time to time, most recently I added transmission 2.94 which I compiled from source (Qt interface version).

Thanks for the report. To be honest I have never used samba, so never felt any urgency to look at it in my experimental remaster. I might try to see if I can get it working properly when I get some time. Since this Stretch Pup was based on an early build there are always likely to be things that still don't work, but some people might find things in it which are interesting or even useful. If that is the case then of course they are welcome to use it.
Oscar in England

foxpup

#723 Post by foxpup »

Hello Oscar

I use your build because it has some nice features included like dillo and easy VPN and it has firefox, not palemoon and psip is the latest version... .
And because it generally looks nice.
I think you are too modest, you make very nice builds/remasters.

In fact I seldom use samba, but I just noticed it does not work. Nevermind though.
Samba does work in radky's version. It is 'simple' samba there.

I've just installed radky's latest RC to help testing it. I hope it will make it to the final release stage.