Woof CE Debian Stretch and Devuan Ascii Based Development

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
davids45

Puppies on partitions

#691 Post by davids45 »

G'day Sailor Enceladus,
Just out of curiosity, why do you put each puppy on a separate partition?
In a word, 'history'.

I started with Puppy as a Windows-user so each new Pup was given its own partition (it's own "C:/ drive"). And also from my Windows hang-over, I thought Full installs were likely to be better. And finding out a hard-drive could have 15 partitions (4 primary of which one was able to be extended with logical partitions up to the MS limit), I had formatted the two drives in my computers this way. These Full-Pup partitions are about 4GB each.

Today, I'm now comfortable to use new Puppies as Frugals so I can optimise my desired applications into one big sfs being used (shared) by each Frugal Pup. Much easier and quicker to see if a new Pup will do what I'd like with the applications sfs, compared to the Full route with applications tediously added one-by-one, be it via pets or links to these expanded packages on my main data partition.

I have three Frugals-only partitions at present, each about 30GB. One for the newer 32-bit Pups (presently with about twenty Pups, rapidly being taken over with my own makepups), one partition with older 32-bit Pups (about 40 maximum - I occasionally cull the very old ones as not every kernel 2.something Pup now runs all the wanted applications), and the third Frugals-partition is for 64-bit Pups (about ten) which I don't use much as my big sfs is based on 32-bit packages, and I find 32-bit is fast enough for what I mostly do on this 2005 vintage desktop.

If I had to begin again with a new computer, I'd probably not bother with so many small partitions for Full Pups, and maybe set up Frugals partitions for each breed of Pup (e.g. Ubuntu, Debian, Slackware, Other) to handle the few differences that each brings to Puppy that requires tweaking to get certain applications running.

But at present, I'm still trapped within my 'history' . :)

David S.

perdido

#692 Post by perdido »

In ttuuxxx stretch-7.0.0a1 (or my remaster)

xcalc not working either from the menu or terminal.

When xcalc is launched Xserver crashes and system displays prompt.
Typing xwin restarts Xserver.

Does xcalc work for anyone?

Any ideas for a fix?

---
Some additional info.
The last puppy release where xcalc works on my system is Tahr 6.0.5
xcalc also does not run in puppy xenial either. :?

OscarTalks

#693 Post by OscarTalks »

I believe some time ago in the thread I joked about renaming xcalc as xcrash.
Some others said it was working for them but it always crashed X for me.
I tried a couple of things including a re-compile but didn't find a solution I'm afraid.
I have removed it from my remaster and compiled galculator to replace it.

In the other (woof-CE) thread I mentioned about libdbus-1.so.3 in both /lib and /usr/lib
Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

Sorry I have never tried to use printers in Puppy, but what is the status of CUPS in Stretch now?
Are we saying that we have to substitute an old Slacko 533 package (or two) within Stretch to get it to work?
If so, I wonder if we could trace the source of the problem such that we can obtain or compile something in Stretch that would fix it?
Oscar in England

6502coder

#694 Post by 6502coder »

perdido wrote:The last puppy release where xcalc works on my system is Tahr 6.0.5
On the other hand, Xcalc crashes the Xserver in my Tahr 6.0.6 (32-bit).

davids45

Stretch printing

#695 Post by davids45 »

G'day OscarTalks,
Sorry I have never tried to use printers in Puppy, but what is the status of CUPS in Stretch now?
Are we saying that we have to substitute an old Slacko 533 package (or two) within Stretch to get it to work?
I can't talk for the 'we' :D but I (as a non-royal singular :wink: ) have had to delete ghostscript from recent Stretches and Slackos to get my Epson printer to print. The old-gs-file fix was from rcrsn51, "whom god preserve" to quote Beachcomber, as he knows about these things.

Xenial and other Ubuntu derived Pups are fine and print without a gs problem - ummm, I see I added the sym link "ld-lsb.so.3" to ld-2.23.so in /lib in this Xenial-7.0.6 kernel 4.9.13 Pup I've started up with this morning, but can't recall if I had to or did it on 'automatic pilot' :roll: .

CUPS itself is also fine in Stretch and Slacko as far as I can tell (which is not very far :oops: ), it's the ghostscript file that needs to be the older '533' version.

And I can't recall if Stretch will do a pdf print-to-file without the ghostscript fix - I mostly want to print on paper.

If it would help, I can do a fresh frugal of any Pup (32-bit) and check the steps to get my Epson to print on paper. Let me know what Pup.

David S.

watchdog

#696 Post by watchdog »

OscarTalks wrote:I believe some time ago in the thread I joked about renaming xcalc as xcrash.
Some others said it was working for them but it always crashed X for me.
I tried a couple of things including a re-compile but didn't find a solution I'm afraid.
I have removed it from my remaster and compiled galculator to replace it.
Same here. I have noticed that if you rename /etc/X11/app-defaults/Xcalc.orig then xcalc does not crash X but it's unuseable. So the problem resides in that file. I have removed xcalc and I could use galculator.

B.K. Johnson

#697 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Hello Oscar
I am now trying your Stretch-7 on a Samsung netbook N150, which according to the lspci command uses rtl8192E/SE

Code: Select all

Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8192E/RTL8192SE Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)2
The screenshot, strerch-interface shows an incomplete Bus and description and I cannot connect with the driver. I am able to connect with tahr-6.0.6 which as the screenshot, tahr606-interface, shows has the same driver/module but recognizes the pci bus and provides a full description.

I have also included a screenshot of the log file, stretch-7_sns log.png, which suggests a firmware problem.

Thanks for your help!
BK
Attachments
stretch-interface.png
stretch-7 interface
(34.86 KiB) Downloaded 558 times
tahr606-interface.png
tahr-6.0.6 interface
(36.81 KiB) Downloaded 564 times
stretch-7_sns log.png
log
(84.27 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

watchdog

#698 Post by watchdog »

For the missing wifi firmware issue read:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=97276

If you download the provided firmware sfs there is a /lib/firmware/RTL8192E dir which you can extract in the same path in your system.

perdido

#699 Post by perdido »

wpa_supplicant security risk as mentioned here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 298#971082

patched wpa_supplicant for stretch available here
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/wpasupplicant

Its a .deb file from Debian.
Installed it to ttuuxxx stretch-7.0.0a1 & variants.
Connects using wireless just fine.

Thanks! to souleau for the security risk info and links to updated wpa_supplicant.

musher0

#700 Post by musher0 »

Hello all.

Does anybody have a PAE-enabled kernel for the DPupStretch-7 ?

Or built a DPupStretch-7 variant with a PAE-enabled kernel ?

I used the "DpupStretch AND PAE" string in the forum search utility and in
duckduckgo and came back empty-handed.

I would like to test a ramdisk script on it.

TIA.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

B.K. Johnson

#701 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Hello Oscar
Re: cursor themes
I installed the pet. The cursors are in /root/.icons as you stated. I opened 2 ROX windows of /root/.icons and used ROX to set up the link to the whitelarge cursor (I think), but no joy.

At this stage, I don't even remember what I have done: default to whitelarge or whitelarge to default; relative or absolute. What I have is a directory in .icons named default, in which there is a symlink to the whitelarge directory. It does not work for me.

Should 'default' be a directory or a null text file or what?

In the past, I have used emelfm2 to set up links, but the source and destination were in different directories and the resultant link file had the same name as the source. I would greatly appreciate if you clearly spell out what I need to do I'm OK with the console.
Thanks

BK
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

OscarTalks

#702 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello B.K,

You don't need to create more directories inside /root/.icons
Only a symlink (which looks like a directory-symlink) of the directory containing the cursors that you want to use.

So if your cursor theme files are all in /root/.icons/whitelarge (for example)
Open 1 ROX window in /root/.icons
Right click on the whitelarge directory and choose "link"
In the little dialog window that opens, set the name of this link as "default" and click the Symlink button to create it.
Restart X

An alternative would be to rename the whitelarge directory as "default" but it is better to keep the names on any cursor themes. If you have others in there and want to switch you can just change the symlink by deleting it and creating a fresh one to a different theme.
Attachments
crystalgold-selected.jpg
My /root/.icons has the crystalgold cursor theme selected by creating a symlink named default
(33.39 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
Oscar in England

B.K. Johnson

#703 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Hello watchdog
You wrote:
If you download the provided firmware sfs there is a /lib/firmware/RTL8192E dir which you can extract in the same path in your system.
Thanks for the info and link.  Done and seems to work OK.
BK
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson

watchdog

#704 Post by watchdog »

About cursors i install cursor_themes-1-1.pet and then in console I run:

Code: Select all

pcur

B.K. Johnson

#705 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Thanks Oscar
Instructions were clear and worked first-time. All is well with the cursor now.

BK
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson

foxpup

64 bit

#706 Post by foxpup »

I am missing a 64 bit dpup Stretch. Am I overlooking one?
If there is none, is it possible to build one in woofCE?
Or is woofCE not ready for 64bit dpup Stretch?

belham2

Re: 64 bit

#707 Post by belham2 »

foxpup wrote:I am missing a 64 bit dpup Stretch. Am I overlooking one?
If there is none, is it possible to build one in woofCE?
Or is woofCE not ready for 64bit dpup Stretch?

Hi foxpup,

Well, I think many of us have been waiting for one. Any chance you wanna give it a go and build us a stable, 64-bit Dpup-Stretch? As things stand, only 32-bit exists, and we've really only three people keeping the dpup-stretch brand alive (listed in no particular order):

--musher and the gang on the French side
--radky's recent release (best 32-bit release, imho)
--oscartalks (who's done a different kernel he compiled)

It seems until "ELVIS" re-enters the building (translation: Mr. Ttuuxxx) things with Dpup-Stretch are pretty much at a standstill except for the three mentioned above.

But, hey, like I said, we'd all welcome a 64-bit if you can compile a kernel and all, plus compile the other stuff, and put it together & it was usable and stable :shock: ....then quite a few of us would be singing the praises of one mighty, great Mr. Foxpup! :wink:

foxpup

very steep learning curve for me !!

#708 Post by foxpup »

Thanks belham2 for confirming what I suspected. It is not a disaster though: 32bit runs on all machines.
Any chance you wanna give it a go and build us a stable, 64-bit Dpup-Stretch?
That would be a very steep learning curve for me! I've never used woofCE, 've never compiled a kernel, etc...
I guess it is not a 'simple translation' from 32bit to 64bit?

I just use puppies. I've used the dpups-stretch from musher0, OscarTalks and ttuuxxx. I will try radky's.
For a 64bit debian stretch I tried the new Knoppix, which is nice, but I like a Puppy better.

It's too bad Puppy does not come to a final release of a spup or a dpup or whatever, although there are many good RC's. That may become a disaster for Puppy in the long run, imho.

rufwoof

Re: very steep learning curve for me !!

#709 Post by rufwoof »

foxpup wrote:It's too bad Puppy does not come to a final release of a spup or a dpup or whatever, although there are many good RC's. That may become a disaster for Puppy in the long run, imho.
Puppy is lacking in its ability to not run as root well which will be its downfall IMO. The dogs are better in that respect as they support multi-user. Whilst most pup's support running programs as user puppy, often that doesn't work well such as if the browser is upgraded. Its saving grace has been low usage, but sooner or later a ransomware hack will be extended to include it and will leave it wide open to all local drives and PC's being more vulnerable than other *nix systems that run as user.

Billtoo

Woof CE Debian Stretch and Devuan Ascii Based Development

#710 Post by Billtoo »

I installed Radky's new release (woof-CE thread) to a 16gb SDHC card for use on my Acer desktop:

# inxi -bw
System: Host: puppypc10527 Kernel: 4.1.45 i686 (32 bit) Desktop: JWM 2.3.7 Distro: Dpup Stretch 7.0.0a2
Machine: Device: desktop Mobo: Acer model: Aspire X3950 serial: U02C120500059
BIOS: American Megatrends v: P01-A3 date: 05/05/2010
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3 540 (-HT-MCP-) speed/max: 1200/3067 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
Display Server: X.org 1.19.2 drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
tty size: 136x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
Drives: HDD Total Size: 516.1GB (0.1% used)
Weather: Conditions: 37 F (3 C) - Overcast Time: November 4, 11:49 AM EDT
Info: Processes: 126 Uptime: 6 min Memory: 112.5/5997.3MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.8
#

I added some appications with PPM.

No problems, working great!
Thanks.
Attachments
screenshot2.jpg
(42.88 KiB) Downloaded 900 times
screenshot.jpg
(13.79 KiB) Downloaded 925 times