Woof CE Debian Stretch and Devuan Ascii Based Development

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
dancytron

#676 Post by dancytron »

perdido wrote:This is a remaster ofttuuxxx stretch-7.0.0a1 with the fixes/changes suggested in this thread. It is the puppy I have transitioned to, replacing Precise 5.7.1

Posting this here in the hopes of saving someone the chore of reading through this whole thread to find the fixes applied to this remaster.
This is ttuuxxx work with no changes except those listed at the bottom of this post.

The remaster is available here as stretch-7.0.0a1.r01.iso
md5 - 10839e54188d25cb1d0323493c4b6774
Size - 278.5MB
This puppy is 32-bit
All credit goes to ttuuxx & co. who developed stretch-7.0.0a1 :P

The following changes were applied.
1. Geany config changed per musher0 suggestion
2. Delayed run bug fix when installing additional applets
3. Battery icon not showing in tray
4.Installed missing gtk hash utility that is common in puppies
5. "Fail to launch" menu fix
6. Printer filter error due to bug in ghostscript

I did a manual frugal install of this.

Had to run simple network to get Ethernet and sound card wizard to get sound, but both worked fine after that. Tested browser, playing mp3's and playing video. All worked fine.

Looks good. I hope a Stretch version makes it to an official release sometime.

Anything in particular that needs testing?

Dan

perdido

#677 Post by perdido »

dancytron wrote:

Had to run simple network to get Ethernet and sound card wizard to get sound, but both worked fine after that. Tested browser, playing mp3's and playing video. All worked fine.

Dan
Hi Dan,

If you could try installing a printer and print a page. It should work but would nice to see it confirmed with something other than a Brother <g>

Thanks

cthisbear

#678 Post by cthisbear »

All thanks and credit to those who add fixes to this release.

Chris.

watchdog

#679 Post by watchdog »

perdido wrote: The remaster is available here as stretch-7.0.0a1.r01.iso
md5 - 10839e54188d25cb1d0323493c4b6774
Size - 278.5MB
This puppy is 32-bit
All credit goes to ttuuxx & co. who developed stretch-7.0.0a1 :P
Cups working with my Brother laser printer Hl2130 and Hp all-in-one Photosmart C3190! I used the same savefolders previously saved with OscarTalks' build. This could be considered a main puppy.

perdido

#680 Post by perdido »

watchdog wrote:
Cups working with my Brother laser printer Hl2130 and Hp all-in-one Photosmart C3190! I used the same savefolders previously saved with OscarTalks' build. This could be considered a main puppy.
Hi watchdog,
Thanks for the report about CUPS working with the HP Photosmart!
Looks like printing has been fixed.

There are still a couple things that need fixed in ttuuxxx stretch
1. x̶s̶a̶n̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶y̶e̶t̶
2. gtk-dialog upgrade should be added (I somehow missed this when doing remaster)

I̶f̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶d̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶x̶s̶a̶n̶e̶ ̶f̶i̶x̶ ̶I̶ ̶h̶o̶p̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶e̶a̶d̶.̶

The gtk-dialog update was suggested by zigbert. I have not tested it yet but zigbert says it works fine.

Last edited by perdido on Sun 08 Oct 2017, 00:47, edited 1 time in total.

watchdog

#681 Post by watchdog »

perdido wrote:
Hi watchdog,
Thanks for the report about CUPS working with the HP Photosmart!
Looks like printing has been fixed.
I cannot confirm. Brother printer is ok but the Hp printer has the "Filter failed" error; from log:

Code: Select all

Failed to send: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service files

PID XXXXX (/usr/lib/cups/filter/gstoraster) stopped with status 13.
EDIT: I got the HP Photosmart C3190 working with a gutenprint driver of another printer. I uninstalled hplip_print_scan-3.16.11.pet and only installed (for scanner) hplip_scan-3.16.5.pet.

EDIT2: it also works with the right driver installing hplip_print-3.16.5.pet. The _print_scan pet by rcrsn51 does not properly work.
1. xsane is not working yet
<cut>
If someone finds a xsane fix I hope they post it to this thread.
It's easy:

ln -s /usr/lib/liblcms2.so.2.0.8 /usr/lib/liblcms.so.1

perdido

#682 Post by perdido »

watchdog wrote:
EDIT: I got the HP Photosmart C3190 working with a gutenprint driver of another printer. I uninstalled hplip_print_scan-3.16.11.pet and only installed (for scanner) hplip_scan-3.16.5.pet.

EDIT2: it also works with the right driver installing hplip_print-3.16.5.pet. The _print_scan pet by rcrsn51 does not properly work.
1. xsane is not working yet
<cut>
If someone finds a xsane fix I hope they post it to this thread.
It's easy:

ln -s /usr/lib/liblcms2.so.2.0.8 /usr/lib/liblcms.so.1
[/b]
Thanks once again :)

Printing working on the HP printers is good to see!

Your symlink fix for xsane works fine also :)
Added fix to remaster post to apply after download

Much appreciated watchdog!

Last edited by perdido on Mon 09 Oct 2017, 11:07, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#683 Post by rcrsn51 »

watchdog wrote:The _print_scan pet by rcrsn51 does not properly work.

ldd /usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcups | grep not

watchdog

#684 Post by watchdog »

rcrsn51 wrote:
watchdog wrote:The _print_scan pet by rcrsn51 does not properly work.

ldd /usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcups | grep not

# ldd /usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcups | grep not
	libjpeg.so.8 => not found
I uninstalled hplip_print-3.16.5.pet and hplip_scan-3.16.5.pet and installed again hplip_print_scan-3.16.11.pet. Copied in /usr/lib libjpeg.so.8.0.2 and the symlink libjpeg.so.8 from xenialpup-7.0.8.1. Now my HP Photosmart C3190 works with the last hplip provided.

watchdog

#685 Post by watchdog »

Does someone want to play with pulseaudio-4.0 with stretch puppy? I have tested it with skype4.3 (still working). Install pulseaudio-4.0-tahr606-i386.pet:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 288#947288

There is a missing lib and a symlink which you can copy from tahr 6.0.6 main sfs in /usr/lib:

libspeexdsp.so.1.5.0 and libspeexdsp.so.1

Now pulseaudio-4.0 should work in stretch puppy. It could be useful for someone experimenting with recent firefox's builds. You can also load a qt4 sfs and install the base skype-4.3.0.37.pet from:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9iMb4 ... sp=sharing

Run fixmenus and restart X. Skype 4.3 is in Menu-Internet.

dancytron

#686 Post by dancytron »

perdido wrote:
dancytron wrote:

Dan
Hi Dan,

If you could try installing a printer and print a page. It should work but would nice to see it confirmed with something other than a Brother <g>

Thanks

Sorry, was gone a couple of days. Sorry again, I don't have a printer hooked to this computer. :(

perdido

#687 Post by perdido »

dancytron wrote:
perdido wrote: Hi Dan,

Thanks

Sorry, was gone a couple of days. Sorry again, I don't have a printer hooked to this computer. :(
It worked out ok, watchdog confirmed working HP printing and provided a fix for using the latest hplip_print_scan-3.16.11.pet
He also provided the fix for the xsane scanning program.

davids45

Stretch Pup 7.0.0.2a

#688 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

Using makepup-0.12, I made a StretchPup (7002a) and included some pets to fix the application problems I had found earlier in Stretches during the build.

Printing = "filter failed" :oops: : I had added the older ghostscript pet files to the build and did not include the default faulty ghostscript version. But I omitted a pet to add a link missing in /lib so had to do this extra fix once the new Stretch was up and running. This entailed making a link in /lib from the lib file "ld-2.24.so" called "ld-lsb.so.3" (screenshot).

'Open-file' = still a mess :x : I don't know how to fix this 'Places' clutter where every partition on my computer is listed in the left panel (screenshot)? So the place I normally want to open a file from, or save something to (my main data partition, sda5) is off-panel at the bottom of this unwanted list. This is not a problem in Ubuntu-Pups where I can add my wanted partitions to the left panel which starts out empty and uncluttered. I don't think this clutter of places are mounted so it strikes me as odd to have them all here.

Apart from this major annoyance as a user, Stretch Pup is or would be fine for what I do on this computer.

David S.
Attachments
link-for-printing.jpg
missing link (ld-lsb.so.3) added to make printing work (Epson-XP200) - my oversight during building this Stretch Pup.
(116.5 KiB) Downloaded 384 times
file-open-cluttered.jpg
'Places' panel over-filled with unnecessary entries so opening or saving a file is not a simple process like it is on previous Pups.
(143.37 KiB) Downloaded 399 times

perdido

Re: Stretch Pup 7.0.0.2a

#689 Post by perdido »

davids45 wrote:G'day,
Printing = "filter failed" :oops: : I had added the older ghostscript pet files to the build and did not include the default faulty ghostscript version. But I omitted a pet to add a link missing in /lib so had to do this extra fix once the new Stretch was up and running. This entailed making a link in /lib from the lib file "ld-2.24.so" called "ld-lsb.so.3" (screenshot).
David S.
Hi David S.
Thanks for sharing the Epson printer link fix!

"Places" such as in abiword-->file-->open behaves similar in ttuuxxx stretch
##
EDIT: Added yours and watchdog's printer fixes as a pet to the remaster of ttuuxxx stretch-7.0.0a1 post.

Sailor Enceladus

Re: Stretch Pup 7.0.0.2a

#690 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

davids45 wrote:'Open-file' = still a mess :x : I don't know how to fix this 'Places' clutter where every partition on my computer is listed in the left panel (screenshot)? So the place I normally want to open a file from, or save something to (my main data partition, sda5) is off-panel at the bottom of this unwanted list. This is not a problem in Ubuntu-Pups where I can add my wanted partitions to the left panel which starts out empty and uncluttered. I don't think this clutter of places are mounted so it strikes me as odd to have them all here.
Hi David,

Just out of curiosity, why do you put each puppy on a separate partition? I usually have 4 or 5 puppies in separate folders on sda2 as ext4 and boot them all with grub4dos (the bootloader is on sda1 as fat32 with freedos and my main puppy), never had any issues doing it this way on any computer. Is it because you have only tried legacy grub and haven't tried grub4dos bootloader yet? I don't think there's a limit to how many puppies you can have on one partition with it, if you want to try my alternative solution. :)

davids45

Puppies on partitions

#691 Post by davids45 »

G'day Sailor Enceladus,
Just out of curiosity, why do you put each puppy on a separate partition?
In a word, 'history'.

I started with Puppy as a Windows-user so each new Pup was given its own partition (it's own "C:/ drive"). And also from my Windows hang-over, I thought Full installs were likely to be better. And finding out a hard-drive could have 15 partitions (4 primary of which one was able to be extended with logical partitions up to the MS limit), I had formatted the two drives in my computers this way. These Full-Pup partitions are about 4GB each.

Today, I'm now comfortable to use new Puppies as Frugals so I can optimise my desired applications into one big sfs being used (shared) by each Frugal Pup. Much easier and quicker to see if a new Pup will do what I'd like with the applications sfs, compared to the Full route with applications tediously added one-by-one, be it via pets or links to these expanded packages on my main data partition.

I have three Frugals-only partitions at present, each about 30GB. One for the newer 32-bit Pups (presently with about twenty Pups, rapidly being taken over with my own makepups), one partition with older 32-bit Pups (about 40 maximum - I occasionally cull the very old ones as not every kernel 2.something Pup now runs all the wanted applications), and the third Frugals-partition is for 64-bit Pups (about ten) which I don't use much as my big sfs is based on 32-bit packages, and I find 32-bit is fast enough for what I mostly do on this 2005 vintage desktop.

If I had to begin again with a new computer, I'd probably not bother with so many small partitions for Full Pups, and maybe set up Frugals partitions for each breed of Pup (e.g. Ubuntu, Debian, Slackware, Other) to handle the few differences that each brings to Puppy that requires tweaking to get certain applications running.

But at present, I'm still trapped within my 'history' . :)

David S.

perdido

#692 Post by perdido »

In ttuuxxx stretch-7.0.0a1 (or my remaster)

xcalc not working either from the menu or terminal.

When xcalc is launched Xserver crashes and system displays prompt.
Typing xwin restarts Xserver.

Does xcalc work for anyone?

Any ideas for a fix?

---
Some additional info.
The last puppy release where xcalc works on my system is Tahr 6.0.5
xcalc also does not run in puppy xenial either. :?

OscarTalks

#693 Post by OscarTalks »

I believe some time ago in the thread I joked about renaming xcalc as xcrash.
Some others said it was working for them but it always crashed X for me.
I tried a couple of things including a re-compile but didn't find a solution I'm afraid.
I have removed it from my remaster and compiled galculator to replace it.

In the other (woof-CE) thread I mentioned about libdbus-1.so.3 in both /lib and /usr/lib
Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

Sorry I have never tried to use printers in Puppy, but what is the status of CUPS in Stretch now?
Are we saying that we have to substitute an old Slacko 533 package (or two) within Stretch to get it to work?
If so, I wonder if we could trace the source of the problem such that we can obtain or compile something in Stretch that would fix it?
Oscar in England

6502coder

#694 Post by 6502coder »

perdido wrote:The last puppy release where xcalc works on my system is Tahr 6.0.5
On the other hand, Xcalc crashes the Xserver in my Tahr 6.0.6 (32-bit).

davids45

Stretch printing

#695 Post by davids45 »

G'day OscarTalks,
Sorry I have never tried to use printers in Puppy, but what is the status of CUPS in Stretch now?
Are we saying that we have to substitute an old Slacko 533 package (or two) within Stretch to get it to work?
I can't talk for the 'we' :D but I (as a non-royal singular :wink: ) have had to delete ghostscript from recent Stretches and Slackos to get my Epson printer to print. The old-gs-file fix was from rcrsn51, "whom god preserve" to quote Beachcomber, as he knows about these things.

Xenial and other Ubuntu derived Pups are fine and print without a gs problem - ummm, I see I added the sym link "ld-lsb.so.3" to ld-2.23.so in /lib in this Xenial-7.0.6 kernel 4.9.13 Pup I've started up with this morning, but can't recall if I had to or did it on 'automatic pilot' :roll: .

CUPS itself is also fine in Stretch and Slacko as far as I can tell (which is not very far :oops: ), it's the ghostscript file that needs to be the older '533' version.

And I can't recall if Stretch will do a pdf print-to-file without the ghostscript fix - I mostly want to print on paper.

If it would help, I can do a fresh frugal of any Pup (32-bit) and check the steps to get my Epson to print on paper. Let me know what Pup.

David S.