(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 23 Jan 2021, 19:26
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Puppy linux frugal installation, problem booting [Solved]
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 4 of 5 [74 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
foxpup

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar 2017, 09:47    Post subject:  

It should not look for any pupsave when it enters with pfix=ram.

Can you try to rename the pupsave? to make it unrecognisable. Rightclick on it.
If not, create a new map tahrsave-something besides it and reboot from usb. Because puppy will find more than 1 pupsave, it will ask which one to use, but first choice (0) will be 'none', that is pfix=ram. Choose 0.
LidiaS

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar 2017, 11:33    Post subject:  

foxpup wrote:
It should not look for any pupsave when it enters with pfix=ram.

Can you try to rename the pupsave? to make it unrecognisable. Rightclick on it.
If not, create a new map tahrsave-something besides it and reboot from usb. Because puppy will find more than 1 pupsave, it will ask which one to use, but first choice (0) will be 'none', that is pfix=ram. Choose 0.

Really? in pfix=ram it shouldn't look for pupsave? That's really not the case for me, unless I am doing something wrong! I will try again, as well with the new save and see how it goes. Hmm.
LidiaS

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar 2017, 11:56    Post subject:  

Things are going better, I think! pfix=ram had never worked, until the point I did what foxpup told me, i.e. had two tahrpup save folders, it asked me and I said 0. So everything happened like the first time I ever tried to put puppy linux! I had to do the xorgwizard thing first (I'm just saying everything in case they are relevant) and then booted to puppy, no question marks this time. It asked me to configure stuff, but I set it aside and I and went for grub4dos, which I now installed on sdb.

I then rebooted. Without the stick, again the wee messages Sad

With the stick, grup4dos finally appeared! It had both puppy and (l)ubuntu. I happily tried lubuntu, but it couldn't do anything Sad now I am back to puppy, I erased all previous saves, but I am not sure what to do to be able to access Lubuntu! I think I will install grup4dos also at sda. But I am afraid all the old things will happen again. I will not save for the time being.
jd7654

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar 2017, 12:11    Post subject:  

Ever tried rescue disks?

I used them many times to get into unbootable OSes. One good one is Super Grub2 Disk. Very tiny download ISO file that you can write to USB.(or use E2B) You don't have to modify/change anything, it just looks for and boots any OS it can find. Then you can repair OS from within itself. There are other great ones to repair MBR/GPT and partition table if needed.

Just my $0.02.
PMJI.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar 2017, 12:17    Post subject: Post Subject  

Hi Lidia5,

Did you ever install grub4dos to your USB-Key? The screenshot you posted shows it still using syslinux. If you did install grub4dos --it would have over-written syslinux as bootloader and a gldr file and menu.lst would appear on at the top=root of the key. The syslinux files would still be there, but would be ignored.

One possibility is that something didn't get deleted so tarhpup is still finding and using a now corrupted SaveFile. With all the core files on sdb, you should be able to boot into THAT tahrpup without "loading" any SaveFile.

All my computers use grub4dos + menu.lst. Last night I tried to interrupt the written listings by typing puppy pfix=ram or pressing F12 then typing puppy pfix=ram. My efforts were ignored. I recall being able to interrupt the work flow when booting from a CD. Maybe F12 isn't the right key? Whatever, the instructions written into a listing work.

If you installed grub4dos to the USB-stick, can you edit the menu.lst on your flash-drive and add these listings:

title Puppy tahr 6.0.5 NO SAVE
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /puppy_tahr_6.0.5.sfs
kernel /vmlinuz pfix=fsck,ram
initrd /initrd.gz

title Puppy tahr 6.0.5 NO SAVE 2nd try
root=(hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz pfix=fsck,ram
initrd /initrd.gz

The pfix=ram arguments should eliminate any problems involved with trying to do it by typing into a terminal.

The first listing tells Grub4dos to look for puppy_tahr_6.0.5.sfs (which is on your sdb) and set root where ever it finds that file. But while I knew about the find --set-root argument, I think I've only used it once before.

When I manually edit menu.lst to boot from a flash-drive I've always used the root=(hd0,0) argument. Having told the computer to boot from the flash drive, grub4dos should see the drive and partition it is on as (hd0,0) -- drive 0, partition 0.

One or the other listing should work. Then go back and make sure the tahr folders on sda and all their contents have been deleted. Tahrpup's core files are READ_ONLY. Without a SaveFile, booting into Tahrpup will present the same system and display as the first time you booted into it.

Before shutting down/rebooting, run grub4dos and install it to sdb. Let it search both the hard drive and the flash-drive. Looking back, I left that out of the "recipe" so grub4dos may be trying to follow commands that are no longer valid.

I'm far less familiar with syslinux as bootloader. However, if it is still the bootloader on your USB-Key, I think you should be able to edit the syslinux.cfg file which appears in your screenshot to include the above listings.

Perhaps someone with more experience with syslinux can provide some guidance.

mikesLr

Last edited by mikeslr on Thu 02 Mar 2017, 12:37; edited 1 time in total
LidiaS

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar 2017, 12:21    Post subject:  

Final update: I installed grub4dos also in sda, but similar situation as before. When I boot without stick, wee messages, when I boot with stick, beautiful grub4dos appears but when I choose (l)Ubuntu, it says the following:

Booting Ubuntu 16.10 (sda1)

setting root to (hd1,0)
Filesystem is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro

Error 13: Invalid or unsupported exectuable format

I attach picture of what's my sda and sdb in puppy. If understood correctly, now I have a puppy in my usb but not savefiles on sda but probably other puppy remainders from earlier. So Lubuntu is unreachable? Sad
capture25784.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  capture25784.png 
Filesize  113.07 KB 
Downloaded  204 Time(s) 
LidiaS

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar 2017, 12:26    Post subject:  

Hi Mikeslr, I just saw your message. Does it agree with my current situation? Should I do what you say?

Thank you, and all others, a billion.
jd7654

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar 2017, 12:31    Post subject:  

LidiaS wrote:

I recognize this error. You may have 64-bit Ext4 partition for Ubuntu. Syslinux and Grub4DOS cannot boot 64-bit Ext4. Only Grub2 can.
LidiaS

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar 2017, 12:46    Post subject:  

jd7654 wrote:
Ever tried rescue disks?

I used them many times to get into unbootable OSes. One good one is Super Grub2 Disk. Very tiny download ISO file that you can write to USB.(or use E2B) You don't have to modify/change anything, it just looks for and boots any OS it can find. Then you can repair OS from within itself. There are other great ones to repair MBR/GPT and partition table if needed.

Just my $0.02.
PMJI.

Thanks for the tip, this might be a solution indeed! I do think my Lubuntu is 64 bit yes.
foxpup

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar 2017, 13:14    Post subject:  

jd7654 wrote:
LidiaS wrote:

I recognize this error. You may have 64-bit Ext4 partition for Ubuntu. Syslinux and Grub4DOS cannot boot 64-bit Ext4. Only Grub2 can.

LidiaS
On your screenshot, I see on sda1 the 4 files from a grub4dos installation in bold, which means it is a recent install, yours. And I also think it works!

But now we have this unexpected new problem. And the old bootin installation from lubuntu, must have been grub2, does not work.
I do not know grub2.

Another idea:
Since grub4dos is now on sda1, and on its mbr!, we could try to chainload grub2 from it? We would probably need a grub.cfg, but perhaps this is already in the bootfolder on sda1.
Or very boldly: replace grldr with core.img (is that the loader for grub?), so renaming core.img to grldr and place it where grldr is now. This works with windows installation (xp).
foxpup

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar 2017, 13:27    Post subject:  

Forget the last suggestion: it makes puppy unreachable, unless we include it in the grub.cfg

Another idea:
LidiaS, do you still have lubuntu on a usb? Maybe you could run grub2 there, like you did with grub4dos from puppy.
LidiaS

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar 2017, 14:43    Post subject:  

foxpup wrote:
Forget the last suggestion: it makes puppy unreachable, unless we include it in the grub.cfg

Another idea:
LidiaS, do you still have lubuntu on a usb? Maybe you could run grub2 there, like you did with grub4dos from puppy.

No I don't. Would it work if I made another bootable usb for Lubuntu? Could it save my old distribution? If not, I could always reinstall which is what I will do after all I think.

If not trying what Mikeslr suggested in his last post (if it is still applicable), I may try jd7654's solution by putting Grub2 in a usb. Is this an easy process?
jd7654

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar 2017, 15:34    Post subject:  

LidiaS wrote:
I may try jd7654's solution by putting Grub2 in a usb. Is this an easy process?

Download Super Grub2 Disk, recommended download ISO:
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/category/download/supergrub2diskdownload/super-grub2-disk-stable/

Write to flash. Cannot use Rufus. Direct write with something like ImageUSB:
http://osforensics.com/tools/write-usb-images.html

Then you can boot into Ubuntu and repair.

Or use Ubuntu ISO to do same:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows
foxpup

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar 2017, 15:44    Post subject:  

jd7654 just posted while I was writing this Smile
Quote:
Would it work if I made another bootable usb for Lubuntu? Could it save my old distribution?

Possibly, but I do not really know, I don't know lubuntu, never used it.
Quote:
I may try jd7654's solution by putting Grub2 in a usb. Is this an easy process?

I do not know either.
Quote:
If not trying what Mikeslr suggested in his last post (if it is still applicable)

If lubuntu isn't bootable from ext4/64 with grub4dos, then neither can puppy, I guess. Can you try it? Just boot without usb and choose puppy from the grub4dos menu, instead of lubuntu. I expect the same error.
You can also add the lines from mikesLr in menu.lst and try them.

You could try the chainloading next. It's probably the easiest thing to do.
You add this block in menu.lst on sda1.

title Grub2
find --set-root /boot/grub/core.img
kernel /boot/grub/core.img
boot

Reboot and choose Grub2 this time.
If there is a grub.cfg and core.img, maybe in sda1/boot/grub/, it could work. If you have them elsewhere, change the paths in the block.

Bonne chance. This is quite a challenge, not only for a beginner.

Last edited by foxpup on Thu 02 Mar 2017, 15:53; edited 1 time in total
foxpup

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar 2017, 15:49    Post subject:  

Quote:
Write to flash. Cannot use Rufus. Direct write with something like ImageUSB:
http://osforensics.com/tools/write-usb-images.html

@jd7654: this is for windows? Is it dd in linux?
Quote:
Then you can boot into Ubuntu and repair.

Will it find and boot the frugal puppy on the same partition?
Page 4 of 5 [74 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: