Comment=Pbackup backup to CD/DVD/HD
Exec=pbackup
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Archiving
GenericName=Pbackup 

zigbert

#212 Post by zigbert »

Version 3.0.3 is uploaded. See main post.

disciple

#213 Post by disciple »

3.03 still has a "broken" .desktop file

zigbert

#214 Post by zigbert »

Can you please try to make the necessary mods and report back. I can't see what's wrong with mine.

Sigmund

disciple

#215 Post by disciple »

Sorry for not being clear enough - what you posted is fine, but it doesn't match what is in the .pet - unless somehow I've got an old .pet labelled as 3.03
Last edited by disciple on Mon 03 Mar 2008, 08:40, edited 1 time in total.

disciple

#216 Post by disciple »

I just downloaded the .pet again, and it does have the wrong .desktop file.

For what it's worth, to make the one in the .pet work you can just make it read like:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Pbackup Backup & Sync
Icon=mini-diskette.xpm
Comment=Pbackup Backup & Sync
Exec=pbackup
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Archiving
GenericName=Pbackup Backup & Sync
There's not really any need to replace the .pet, as it doesn't actually break anything, just jwm -p doesn't like it, so it is worth fixing in future releases. I guess possibly some other window manager would have a real problem, but I doubt it.

zigbert

#217 Post by zigbert »

Fixed!

Thanks you
Sigmund

disciple

#218 Post by disciple »

Oops :oops:
I just realised that even though jwm -p gives an error with "&" but doesn't with "&", "&" works fine, but "&" is actually broken :oops:
With my version pmirror, which is after pbackup in the menu, doesn't show up, but when you click pbackup, it runs pmirror.
So your version is better. But this seems like a bug in JWM? I am running JWM 1.8, so I don't know if it is the same with 2.x

zigbert

#219 Post by zigbert »

I make it 'Backup and Sync'. Then we're safe. :)

disciple

#220 Post by disciple »

What does it actually do in the way of synchronisation? The file you posted "backup to CD/DVD/HD" might be a more accurate description - and it is probably a little clearer for new users anyway.

Jon_J

#221 Post by Jon_J »

I just installed Puppy-3.01-retro to my hard drive and made several tweaks and changes to it.
I uninstalled Seamonky and installed opera and sylpheed.
Using pbackup 3.03, I made a "Full" backup to my second ext2 partition.
I used /root/ in the "From" location.
Does my backup now contain my changes to Puppy? such as my removal of seamonkey and install of opera/sylpheed?

If not, what directories do I need to include in the "From" box to include my entire Puppy hard drive install?

I'll give 2 examples of what I'm asking. I would like to have backups similar to these 2 listed below.

1. In Windows 98, I use Ghost and make an image of my C:\ drive, and can restore my complete setup with one file from a boot floppy.

2. On my Zaurus, I can make a NAND backup in the diagnostics menu, then later restore my entire operating system with all settings and installed programs intact.
[color=green][size=75]Dell Mini-10 tri boot | Win XP, Mint 7 XFCE, Puppy 4.3-small
Intel Core2 Duo 2.80GHz 2GB Ram Win XP sp3
Pentium 3/600Mhz 256MB Ram tri boot Puppy-Full-3.01|1.0.4|Win98
Sharp Zaurus Linux devices SL-C3100 & SL-C3200[/size][/color]

zigbert

#222 Post by zigbert »

Jon_J
You should set / in the field 'Save from'. / is the top of the Puppy filesystem. Other filesystems are by default mounted in
/mnt/, so this should be added in the field 'Exclude from backup'. Activate the option 'Compress result' to squeeze it all into one file. If ever needed, boot your crashed system with a Puppy Live-CD. Then use Pupzip to extract your compressed puppy-system-file to a clean filesystem. This will rebuild your system.

Sigmund

disciple

#223 Post by disciple »

Just a small suggestion, the same as one of my suggestions for pfind:
How about in the next version (if there is one :) )checking for defaulthtmlviewer rather than defaultbrowser (or maybe just before defaultbrowser) when determining the help viewer?
I guess this would probably apply to other things like pburn as well.

zigbert

#224 Post by zigbert »

The defaulthtmlviewer crashes on my system. That's the reason for not using it. I thought it was best to wait until I run a stable Puppy 4. I am aware of it, and has placed it on my todo-list. Thanks for mention it.

zigbert

#225 Post by zigbert »

Version 3.10 is uploaded
See main post

dcbevins

Pbackup excludes

#226 Post by dcbevins »

I have been trying to find a way to back up to a network drive since puppy 3.01.

I have tried mounting the drive and using pbackup to backup to that mounted drive as if it where a hard drive.

I have tried setting an FTP server on the network machine.

Both will copy files to the location.

However no matter what I do short of unmounting will prevent pbackup from trying to copy mounted network resources or mounted cd/dvd media. I am at a lose how to get around this. As the network drive that is mounted has 100gb of music, cd/dvd iso's, art and other stuff, copying all that back to the same drive is going to fail.

In puppy 3.01 i would add the /root/mnt/ and the /mnt folders to the exclude path. In puppy 4.00 I am just adding the /mnt folder to the exclude path. It just won't follow the exclude rule.

What am I missing?

Attached screen shot.
Attachments
screen.png
(44 KiB) Downloaded 1151 times

zigbert

#227 Post by zigbert »

You're right ... the exclude function has become unfunctional. Please try the attached version, and report back. It has to be more tested before we ship it as the stable release.

Sigmund
Attachments
pbackup-3.1.1.pet
(32.46 KiB) Downloaded 956 times

dcbevins

Exclude Problem

#228 Post by dcbevins »

I tried the back up earlier this evening (morning now).

The program reports as 3.1.1.

It is still trying to back up the directory I tell it to exclude.

Could the fact that I am backing up to a directory inside the excluded ones be a problem? That's just a wild stab.

I did not see an option to follow or not follow sym links, but I assume and hope it is not following them.

I notice when the program is going through it paces it does a ...searching directories ...searching files ....searching excluded files.

Does it search all the files listed in the excluded directories? I have over 100gb on in the excluded directory. It takes it a couple hours before it even begins to copy files. I guess I don't understand why it need to read in the directory I am telling to leave alone. If this step could be avoided it would speed up the backup tremendously.

I would like to get this to work so that in an emergency the tools I need are included in the puppylinux boot cd, without having to search or install other tools. If I can't get this to work I guess my next move is to figure out how to get windoz to run an rysync server.

Thanks for your efforts.

db

zigbert

#229 Post by zigbert »

Does it search all the files listed in the excluded directories? I have over 100gb on in the excluded directory. It takes it a couple hours before it even begins to copy files. I guess I don't understand why it need to read in the directory I am telling to leave alone. If this step could be avoided it would speed up the backup tremendously.
I agree, but the command 'find' are not good to exclude. Exclude 1 item is most often ok, but I haven't find the best solution for this. Yes it search for all files first, then remove the ones in exclude dirs. But copy starts first after this, so it should not copy more than defined.
Could the fact that I am backing up to a directory inside the excluded ones be a problem? That's just a wild stab.
I haven't checked this out. Have you tried another test-backup to see....

Sigmund

dcbevins

Exclude Outside

#230 Post by dcbevins »

This time I tested with an exclude directory. It backed up to a location not inside the excluded directory and backed up everything except what I told it to exclude..

Could this be the problem?

The scenario I am trying to reach is to backup everything , (//), to a network mounted drive.

Thus, I could not specify a location outside the excluded directory as it would be in /mnt/network/remotemachine.

Once I tried adding all the files and directories except the /mnt folder and did not specify an excluded folder. It still copied files from the /mnt folder, even though it was not in my backup definition. This was a result with 3.03. I haen't tried with your newer one yet. I suppose I can do that next. It just takes hours to run.

Could it somehow be getting the /mnt folder from /proc?

I did another test with the backup location inside the exclude directory. This time it completed with a finish, but nothing was backed up. I searched the file system for files I told it to back up, but they were not anywhere.

The problem I was having before would back up items, but more than I wanted

So I am perplexed. The results seem inconsistent.

Rsync isn't the option I want either as I want incrementals so I can restore to a certain point. Incrementals with rsync is a bit tricky and I'd like to avoid scripting it all by hand.

Thoughts?