Pbackup 3.1.9-1

Miscellaneous tools
veronicathecow

#136 Post by veronicathecow »

Yup root/my-documents sounds like a very good choice.
You are doing great work, it's been fun being a small part of it.
Thanks
Tony

zigbert

#137 Post by zigbert »

Version 2.3.4 is uploaded. See main post.

zigbert

#138 Post by zigbert »

Version 2.3.5 is uploaded. See main post.

veronicathecow

#139 Post by veronicathecow »

Hi Zigmund, I'm afraid I've run into a problem or two. I'm using 2.3.5
I can't seem to select the backup I have made. Please see the screen shot.
I tried to do a backup but it tried to take from the default and put it to CD
Cheers
Tony
Attachments
pbackup2p3p5 tax backup.jpg
(42.98 KiB) Downloaded 700 times

zigbert

#140 Post by zigbert »

veronicathecow. Please try to be more specific. I try to reproduce your bug, but can't make it. Is it so, that you aren't able to make any jobs with nothing else but default values? How do you make a job - step by step? How do you activate the job?

I need to know how you use Pbackup. Like this I can upgrade it to work the way other people think. I know this program too well, and I often manage it the same way as the programmer did. :wink: Tester and developer shouldn't be the same person. Thank you for the very important work you do.

Sigmund, Zigmund, Ziggi, Freud or Zigbert.

GeoffS

#141 Post by GeoffS »

Zigbert
Don't despair, we've all been there trying to test our own programs. Users - ugh!! the first key they press will be the one you never tried :lol: .
Just thought I'd post this to encourage you. I am sure there are others following the saga of 'pbackup' . I've tried most versions, had a few problems, mainly of my own making.
It has become a VERY useful program. Keep up the good work.
Geoff

zigbert

#142 Post by zigbert »

Version 2.4.0 is uploaded. See main post.

veronicathecow

#143 Post by veronicathecow »

Hi Zigbert, my apologies for not being around for a while but a combination of computer problems and lack of cash means that I am having to spend my time doing my book business and sorting out my VERY late Tax. Many thanks for your hard work and I hope to be back helping in what way I can in a few weeks and I'm sorry for letting you down.
All the best
Tony

zigbert

#144 Post by zigbert »

veronicathecow wrote:sorry for letting you down.
Don't be sorry. If you were paid for testing, I would expect something. Free software needs free people.

See you around

Sigmund

PaulBx1

#145 Post by PaulBx1 »

Hello Sigmund, just ran into something with version 1.9.7. I don't know if you've dealt with it already, this is a rather long thread to be searching through, to find out!

I am backing up my hard drive (/initrd/mnt/dev_save) to a USB hard drive. This time it said my backup was 55 days old. When I finished, I looked in the save set and found it looked all right, had everything I expected, except one thing: my pup_save file which is stored on the hard drive. I can manually copy it over there, but I expect pbackup to include that in the save set. Or am I wrong?

I wonder if it is not including it because it is an open file, or something like that? Or if it may be written during the backup and changed right in the middle?

zigbert

#146 Post by zigbert »

I'll take a look at it.

zigbert

#147 Post by zigbert »

PaulBx1
I made a test with a full backup in Pbackup 2.4.0 on Puppy 2.16. pup_save was included in the backup. This was a internal harddrive, but since they are handled the same way as usb-disks in Pbackup, I don't think that should be any problem.

Sigmund

esmourguit

#148 Post by esmourguit »

Bonjour Sigmund, :wink:
I am translating in french, i'll send you, when it is finished.
Cordialement. :D
JJ M
[url=http://moulinier.net/][color=blue][b]Toutou Linux[/b][/color][/url] - [url=http://toutoulinux.free.fr/pet.php][color=blue][b]Paquets français[/b][/color][/url]

PaulBx1

#149 Post by PaulBx1 »

OK Sigmund, I'm now using Puppy 216 with the stock (2.0.0) pbackup, and it does back up the pup_save. Good...

However I noticed another bug. :)

I told it to exclude /initrd/mnt/dev_save/*.sfs since I can get all of them online and they take some room. When I did this it made a list of my current .sfs files. But, when I did the backup it backed them all up anyway. The exclude did work when I asked it to exclude a particular file, like the windows swap file.

There are two bugs here. The first is that it backed them up; the second is that it evaluated *.sfs right then when I entered the exclude request. It should not be evaluated until execution time (in my opinion) because if I add another .sfs file to my hard drive, I also don't want that one backed up (during a future backup).

I looked through your changelog, and didn't see anything like this. I haven't tested 2.4.0 though; I suppose next time I back up I will try your latest.

Of course, it is less bad to back up something I don't want, than to not back up something I do want. :wink:

zigbert

#150 Post by zigbert »

PaulBx1
I don't follow you. :oops:
How did you manage to exclude with regular expression???
The field 'Exclude from backup' is not writeable. Did you write in the 'file-selection-dialog'. That is not possible in the last version.

The 'Exclude from backup' field should only contain directories or files that should be excluded.

Here is something that should be cleared. Please help me.

(Did you see the link to Hitterdal. Use buttons + and - to zoom. Røros is the nearest town.)

Sigmund

PaulBx1

#151 Post by PaulBx1 »

Well, the 2.0.0 version took my "*.sfs" but I guess it doesn't work that way with 2.4.0, so problem solved. I guess you are saying each entry in that list is just an individual file (or directory?)

Thanks for the info on Hiterdal. I passed it on to my sister, who said she would dig into it when she got around to it!

PaulBx1

#152 Post by PaulBx1 »

Sigmund, 2.4.0 is not working for me. I did a full backup a few days ago, now when I want to backup again, it acts like I never did that backup and it wants to start with 1970 again. And it wants to come from /root, not /initrd/mnt/dev_save like I selected earlier. All I want to back up are the files since that backup a few days ago.

It's like the default job is the default that you selected, rather than what I changed in it. Like the job, with my changes, never got saved.

I might go back to 2.0.1, which was simpler and seemed to work better. I don't need jobs, just a simple backup that works all the time and really is a "one button backup".

zigbert

#153 Post by zigbert »

PaulBx1
To me, version 2.4.0 works stable and faster than 2.0.1. I really want to find out what went wrong with your try. And please report if somebody else finds it unstable.

You have a point about the jobs. It is not that you need to concern about jobs, but they might confuse user to think so. If you just don't bother about the jobs, it is still a one button backup, but gui should be more clear. I just haven't got the good idea. The job field also hold info about last backup, even if you only use the 'default' job.
I did a full backup a few days ago, now when I want to backup again, it acts like I never did that backup and it wants to start with 1970 again. And it wants to come from /root, not /initrd/mnt/dev_save like I selected earlier.
Choosing full backup, will allways set date to 1970. Choosing 'Backup recent files', it will set 1970 first time, and later the date of last backup. But why it still says /root/, is a bit harder. First thought is: Did you uncheck 'Save settings and status for job - default' in the finishbox. This could mislead user to think "I do not want jobs, so I uncheck this" ..... I did a test of the default job (changed settings and made backup. Next run settings were updated). Be aware that version 2.4.0 uses other config files than version 2.0.1, so settings will not follow an upgrade.

Sigmund

PaulBx1

#154 Post by PaulBx1 »

Choosing full backup, will allways set date to 1970. Choosing 'Backup recent files', it will set 1970 first time, and later the date of last backup.
I was always using 'Backup recent files'.

It is strange, now when I open pbackup it shows two jobs, 'default' (which it says was not used) and 'Normal', one I created when I had the problem earlier (and it says 'Success'). It also now acts properly, not going back to 1970.

I certainly did use the default job the first time, but for some reason it appears it did not register. It's possible I made a mistake somewhere, or I'm not remembering the sequence of events correctly, but I do have the saveset out there.

Oh, well, it's working now, so I will stick with it.

PaulBx1

#155 Post by PaulBx1 »

Sigmund, sorry to be a nag, :roll: but 2.4.0 is still not backing up my pup_save. It backed it up when I selected "full backup", but not this last time with "backup recent files".

This is 3 days after my full backup. The pup_save certainly did change in that time; e.g. emails.

The backup did pick up other files that have changed there. I am backing up from /initrd/mnt/dev_save.