Do AMD Processors use firmware like-Intel Management Engine?

For discussions about security.
purple379

Do AMD Processors use firmware like-Intel Management Engine?

#1 Post by purple379 »

Intel Management Engine being now a suspected security hole of unknown ability and consequence in the Intel chips, at least Skylake and into the future.

Does AMD use a similar scheme so they can remotely change the firmware in the computer? Which AMD chips?

8Geee

#2 Post by 8Geee »

Dunno about AMD...

But I will further that not only is IME a security hole, its at the on-die CPU level. Try to fix THAT. All recent i3,5,7 series has it, and I would also check into other stuff like Tablet Chips.

This is not good folks. Not good at all.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

bark_bark_bark

#3 Post by bark_bark_bark »

AFAIK, current AMD CPUs don't have anything like this. I don't think they'll do something like it with the Ryzen CPUs, but I'm not too sure.

ac2011

#4 Post by ac2011 »

AMD chips from 2013 onward (including some chipset/GPU chips) have similar features to the Intel ME stuff that's been in Intel's chips since around 2007. Read the Libreboot documentation for more information:

https://libreboot.org/faq.html#intel

https://libreboot.org/faq.html#amd

The risk/threat is debatable but I'll stick to pre-2013 AMD gear until someone works out a way around this. It's becoming a more widely known and discussed issue so I think that will happen, but it'll take a few more years.

Sailor Enceladus

#5 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

My Pentium M is ok. :)

belham2

#6 Post by belham2 »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:My Pentium M is ok. :)
LOL :lol:

That's what I was thinking. I may be pulling my hair out, waiting for things to load or the browsers to finally blow up my systems' old processors, but I be dam# to all these old cadillac processors (both Pentium M & AMD Athlons) are safe as cockroaches on Riker's Island!

Now, if I could just feel the same about these old motherboards running these old processors......... :shock: :?

purple379

#7 Post by purple379 »

belham2

#8 Post by belham2 »

[quote="purple379"][/quote]

Dang, where's my "x-ray" glasses so I can read purple's post??..... :( :lol:

purple379

Interesting development on Intel Management Engine.

#9 Post by purple379 »

I had to consider whether it was correct in the Puppy Linux forum to mention what someone else has done about Intel Management Engine.

Someone else has mentioned the libreboot site. Wherein some one is claiming, as I understand it, to have a way to install an alternative Firmware to the Intel Management Engine.

There is also a group, which offers a clear security alternative, which I have no affliation with, and is a pay for product.

https://puri.sm/

A laptop build from the ground up with security in mind. From hardware choices, to firmware, to the OS.

And offers a link to that free OS that is supposed to be for Security.

https://pureos.net/

In my opinion, the first thing that should be done for security on the internet is for the public to demand that browsers have limits on what can be accomplished in the browser. While many say the internet should have no rules, as of now those who make the rules are the advertisers and sellers of products. Also, IMO, This would not prevent the issues of what a government, like the NSA might be able to accomplish in terms of hacking into our computers, our lives.

Perhaps I should start a personal journal writing about how highly I think of Donald Trump.