Puppy Linux UEFI boot EASY

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Limbomusic

thats cool

#16 Post by Limbomusic »

Tahts cool :-) I have done some testing on various pc s and MY verdict is that there ARE some bugs - with 64 bit - NOT 32 bits. but I,m not sure to post anything except here. (people could get angry, and kill me, and I dont want that to happen)

https://youtu.be/WTCE812gohk

kisses u ;-)

Limbomusic

yeah

#17 Post by Limbomusic »

Yeah. The problem disrcibed before in earlier tidings does NOT happen on a 32 bit pup.
( I just woke up with my knickers around my head)

So my earlier description of events DO indeed stand against the tides of time.
cheerio miss sophies

ticthak

UEFI hell

#18 Post by ticthak »

So, I fell down Hell's spiral staircase this week with a Dell laptop- the UEFI firmware won't accept any other media without the HDD in place, and the HDD won't even boot into RE after the customer tried to do a factory restore. All of the partitions and files look correct, and I ran the typical repair-console commands externally. It even looks like it has the original factory recovery partition. It will not boot off the optical drive or any other USB bootable I've tried. Now I will try this.
On the plus side, I've jimmied the HDD enough to get the POST to failover into a "Process1 initialization failed" screen without simply POSTing to the UEFI screen as was the situation the customer brought to me.
I have a extensive post on Steemit about this(I'm trying to wean myself off the Book of Face).

bigpup

#19 Post by bigpup »

the UEFI firmware won't accept any other media without the HDD in place
Tried it with secure boot disabled in the UEFI bios?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#20 Post by bigpup »

The Puppies now being released as UEFI versions are now setup as stated in this topic.
A little different names for the needed files for UEFI booting, but the same method as stated in this topic.

Example:
Tahr6.0.6uefi
Attachments
capture30012.png
(35.88 KiB) Downloaded 905 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Burn_IT

#21 Post by Burn_IT »

I only recently got hold of a 64 bit machine and haven't really had time to play with it under Puppy. I've got it apart at the moment trying to fit a better screen and somebody has sold me a duff part. The problem is which bit is duff without alternates to try.

Is Lenovo still playing silly buggers with restrictions?
I've used a different BIOS on mine to bypass them, but the machine is old and 32 bit only.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Limbomusic

no probs

#22 Post by Limbomusic »

Just posting a follow-up on some of my... sort of silly responses to bugs in 64 bit versions.

Point is - I tried the 4.9.15 kernel in tahrpup64 6.0.6 and EVERYTHING just works. Love that kernel - (well, on my main gaming pc the icon for volume is gone, thats the only thing, workin ok on the Lenovo laptop)

BurnIT: Lenovo restrictions? I'm not aware of any, sorry :-)
---------------
Installed a 250gb samsung 850 evo ssd on my main gaming pc a couple of days ago - after fresh install of win 10 (and booting puppy from usb) and holy %¤"#¤! - major difference indeed. Recommended! - but u guys know that already.

PC: http://helledussen.com/video/dill/feelin_good.html

Burn_IT

#23 Post by Burn_IT »

They put restrictions in the BIOS that tries to stop you using none-authorised parts.
They added a "call home" utility that only worked under Windows and powered down the machine if it failed.
They also sold many new machines with malware built into the BIOS - you need to check up on this one. EDIT: SUPERFISH
Don't forget that Lenovo is Chinese nowadays.

Limbomusic

huh

#24 Post by Limbomusic »

Jaysis. Didnt know that - did a simple search:
https://support.lenovo.com/no/en/produc ... /superfish

But according to that page they have seen the error of their ways and want everyone to get rid of it - WEIRD that they offered/included it in the first place.

ANyhoo - MY experience - well - I tried a recent puppy with some quite new laptops recently (i think it was a hp and a acer), and it didnt work very well, one woulndt even load the x desktop. But my 1 1/2 year lenovo ideapad 100 works really well with puppy.
(but they might work with the 4.9.15 kernel, have to try next time I get the chance)

Anyway - in my humble experience - Lenovo Laptops works quite well with puppies as opposed to other brands

EDIT 7 aug 2017:
All problems solved by using new kernel 4.9.13 ( or 30)
Last edited by Limbomusic on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.

Burn_IT

#25 Post by Burn_IT »

Don't get me wrong, I use a T43P most of the time and have overcome most of problems.
The only thing you need to look out for are update that they push through the MS update channel. It is alway worth while checking/delaying them before applying as they have been know to cause problems on several occasions.
I also stop any W10 and associated updates - mainly because I have no intention of upgrading this machine to W10 and also because it shouldn't even run Win 7 according to them (not the User groups though).
Puppy works fine and I tend to use it when I've finished work and are relaxing - though that is often late and I have another play machine for that sort of thing that supports more memory - which is this machine's biggest drawback.

Limbomusic

win10

#26 Post by Limbomusic »

I get what u mean - like the new creators update for win10 has apparently caused many problems for users.
But,
I updated my lenovo idepad 100 to the creators update a week ago - and it works fine. I also last week - installed a new ssd drive to my main gaming pc - and I downloaded the most recent windows 10 ISO to install to it - and that already HAD the latest creators update / version- - so almost no updates afterwards - cause it was already "up to speed" - maybe I,ve been lucky :-)

I love windows 10 actually, (as long as u have ssd) but I love the puppies more ;-)

T-Biscuit

Re: Puppy Linux UEFI boot EASY

#27 Post by T-Biscuit »

Limbomusic wrote:. . . Then just make a folder called "EFI" and a "boot" folder inside that. (EFI/boot) and then just put this file:
http://helledussen.com/linux/files/bootx64.efi inside it. . . .
Hello, Limbomusic. I am interested in trying out your contribution above. But, my cheap W10 2-in-1 netbook/tablet uses the nasty Baytrail Atom Z3735F soc. For reasons that seem to me silly or mean it has W10-32 and requires a 32 bit UEFI. Nor does it have a legacy boot option in its firmware. I was wondering if you might have a bootx32.efi handy.

Thanks for your very kind consideration.

PS. Sparky Linux boots but (1) is not Puppy, and (2) does not have the 4.9 kernel yet. I read somewhere that the drivers I need for this soc are in 4.9 or 4.10.

Travis "T-Biscuit" (because "Travis-T" just sounds wrong)

Limbomusic

hey

#28 Post by Limbomusic »

Hey man :-) I did a google search ;-) And altho I havent tried it - the file youre looking for is probably the bootia32.efi
I downloaded it and put it here:
http://helledussen.com/linux/files/UEFI ... otia32.efi

:-)

T-Biscuit

Re: hey

#29 Post by T-Biscuit »

Thank you, Limbomusic. I downloaded it and will let you know what happens. :D

Limbomusic

huhey

#30 Post by Limbomusic »

what happened ? Did it work?

T-Biscuit

Re: huhey

#31 Post by T-Biscuit »

Limbomusic wrote:what happened ? Did it work?
Not at all, Limbomusic. The brain-damaged firmware of this device sees the uefi flash drive, makes a brief token effort to boot, then gives up and goes to the windows boot.

It has some odd dialect of grub2 (or uefi script?) -- e.g., instead of "linux" it seems to expect "linuxefi" and likewise for "initrdefi". Ofen I simply don't know what it hated. I've had partial success with Android_x86 and Sparky Linux, which got to live boot bit would not install. Which was OK because I didn't want then anyhow.

In a couple of months it will be a 2 year wait. By the 3rd year I'll quit waiting and donate this baytrail + win-10 junk to someone and get a small laptop I can verify before I buy.

But, I appreciate your suggestions. Thank you!

jd7654

#32 Post by jd7654 »

T-Biscuit wrote:... But, my cheap W10 2-in-1 netbook/tablet uses the nasty Baytrail Atom Z3735F soc. For reasons that seem to me silly or mean it has W10-32 and requires a 32 bit UEFI. Nor does it have a legacy boot option in its firmware....
I got one of those Bay Trail tablets. It does work with Puppy/Linux but takes some fiddling around. Mine is mostly dead now, bad battery. I'll probably replace it with a Cherry Trail that has normal 64-bit EFI so easier to work with Linux.

T-Biscuit

#33 Post by T-Biscuit »

jd7654 wrote: I got one of those Bay Trail tablets. It does work with Puppy/Linux but takes some fiddling around. Mine is mostly dead now, bad battery. I'll probably replace it with a Cherry Trail that has normal 64-bit EFI so easier to work with Linux.
Ditto! I've seen a few dual core Celerons such as N3060 that make me itchy, but I will definitely look for a legacy mode option and mainstream 64-bit uefi, too. Or it will be returned same day.

With any luck maybe my current cheapo will expire prematurely, too. :lol:

jd7654

#34 Post by jd7654 »

T-Biscuit wrote:Ditto! I've seen a few dual core Celerons such as N3060 that make me itchy, but I will definitely look for a legacy mode option and mainstream 64-bit uefi, too. Or it will be returned same day.

With any luck maybe my current cheapo will expire prematurely, too. :lol:
I'd stay away from those N3050/N3060 chips myself, awful performance. Atom x5 Cherry Trail is way better. The quad core N3150/3160 are comparable, but those seem to be for Chromebooks.

FYI, Baytrail Linux boot should work as shown with just those files. I noticed the bootia32.efi file that was posted previously was different from the one I was using successfully. That one is 558KB and the one which works for me is 607KB.(came from here) The one in the original post is larger still, but can't check that one as my tablet is out for a while.

T-Biscuit

#35 Post by T-Biscuit »

[quote="jd7654" I'd stay away from those N3050/N3060 chips myself, awful performance. Atom x5 Cherry Trail is way better. The quad core N3150/3160 are comparable, but those seem to be for Chromebooks.

FYI, Baytrail Linux boot should work as shown with just those files. I noticed the bootia32.efi file that was posted previously was different from the one I was using successfully. That one is 558KB and the one which works for me is 607KB.(came from here) The one in the original post is larger still, but can't check that one as my tablet is out for a while.[/quote]

I appreciate the tips on the chips ( :lol: ) and will give them weight when the opportunity comes. And I have downloaded the boota32.efi file that worked for you & will give it a try -- maybe tonight!