Recover files deleted from frugal install Save file?

Booting, installing, newbie
liro

Recover files deleted from frugal install Save file?

#1 Post by liro »

I've mistakenly deleted some photo files during my current session of Puppy. Before I go down the "let's try to find some disk-type utility that will give me a minimal chance of recovering my lost photos", is there any way I can just revert to my previous puppysave file? (I mean the one that was loaded when I started this current session). I'm not sure how often it autosaves itself... I'm using a Slacko 5.3.3 frugal installation, btw.

Any help much appreciated.
Last edited by liro on Tue 11 Sep 2012, 00:21, edited 1 time in total.

nilsonmorales

#2 Post by nilsonmorales »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28453
i never did use , you need learn in google first how recover with testdisk
good luck

Sylvander

#3 Post by Sylvander »

1. "I've mistakenly deleted some photo files during my current session of Puppy."
(a) Are the photo's held on the Linux filesystem inside the pupsave file, or somewhere else?
(b) Did you immediately attempt to use the same file-browser to UNDO the delete before attempting any other actions with the browser?

2. "is there any way I can just revert to my previous puppysave file?"
There is, provided you have made a backup copy of the pupsave prior to deleting the photo's.

3. "I'm not sure how often it autosaves itself"
That depends on whether the pupsave is held on an internal HDD, or else a USB connected storage device [Flash Drive?]
e.g.
(a) If on an internal HDD...
The session changes are auto-saved right after each change is made [oh dear! :( ]
(b) If on a USB connected Flash Drive...
The default save interval is 30-minutes [Ouch!], but...
(c) You may have changed that to zero [0], which means it is NEVER autosaved [you can do it manually].
If you've reconfigured so as to never auto-save, you could also prevent the save that normally takes place at shut-down...
[i.e. power-off improperly, and enter the command puppy pfix=fsck at the 5-sec pause at the beginning of the subsequent reboot (so as to scan and fix the filesystems of the pupsave and the host partition)]
...And once booted back in, your photo's should be back [the delete not saved].
(d) For future Puppy sessions...
It's possible to make a configuration change to a file...
So that...
[For pupsave files that (are or) APPEAR->(seem to the Puppy) to be held on a USB storage device]...
...At shut-down/reboot you are asked whether you want "to save or not to save".
This avoids the need to power-off improperly in order to "not-save" the session changes during shut-down/reboot.

liro

#4 Post by liro »

Sylvander, & nilsonmorales, thank you for your replies. Fortunately (and unbeknown to me at the time of posting) I did actually have these files saved on a previously backed up pupsave file (I thought I didn't) so.. phew. With the information provided by Sylvander I understand better how the backups work now, and hopefully I'll be a bit more careful with my files from now on...

capicoso

#5 Post by capicoso »

Just a suggestion. You should symlink your my-documents folder, music, downloads etc to outside of the puppy save file. ie, mnt/home. So everything that goes there doesn't eat up your piuppy space, and you have them on your hardisk like the rest of your data(i suppose)...

sfeeley

#6 Post by sfeeley »

Just a suggestion. You should symlink your my-documents folder, music, downloads etc to outside of the puppy save file. ie, mnt/home. So everything that goes there doesn't eat up your piuppy space, and you have them on your hardisk like the rest of your data(i suppose)...
Yes a good idea-- but if you do this, of course remember that this material will not then get backed up if you back up your save file