AtomicPup2020 Released

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
bigpup

#61 Post by bigpup »

finding bugs is always a good thing!!!!!.
It is the strange ones that really bug people :lol:

We supporters/users of Puppy know what it can do and how well it can do it.
It is just frustrating that a computer comes along that wants to be so hard to get working correctly.

Those EeeePC computers are kind of in a world of their own.

You should see all the tweaking I had to do to get Puppy working on a ChromeBook.
That is another specialized computer. :evil: :twisted: :roll:
Had to hack the computers bios to make it boot anything but Chrome OS. It did not have the bios that had that feature built into it.
Still trying to get the touchpad working OK, but an external mouse gets around that problem.
Never did like touchpads.

I wonder what one of the newest Puppies would do on your computer :idea:
Xenialpup 7.5 maybe.

That save thing is something I have never seen happen. -24MB even being offered makes no sense!
I have a feeling something you have not told us is the clue, but not sure what it would be.

If you think Puppy or Linux killed a USB drive.
Start a new topic in the beginners help section of the forum. I bet we can figure out how to get it working again.
I think I already know what is wrong and how to fix it.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

DavidSpector

#62 Post by DavidSpector »

Mike, I find myself agreeing with all your points.

Still, it would be very nice to be able to run a live Linux on my 1000HE: an agile system with lots of interesting software to explore and a fast browser.

But, given what I know now, I may have to content myself with Windows XP. It is so slow in browsing that my main use of the 1000HE has been as a viewer of my Windows 8.1 laptop, so I can remotely work on it from my living room.

EasyPeasy just can't keep a wireless connection working: it says it is connected, but it only works in DHCP (fails in static mode) and it fails to open websites after the first minute or so of DHCP allocation. After that, even though it shows the network as connected, it cannot open any website or ftp any file.

There is one hint: it says that ftp is impossible because it has no hostname address. Does that mean that the Hosts file is incorrect?

Sailor Enceladus

#63 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

DavidSpector wrote:The egos here are strong, and everyone seems to think I'm attacking them because I keep finding bugs on this old target computer. I'd be very surprised to get an apology.

One of the people here has asked me to delete my postings, which I cannot do only because I cannot find a "delete" button here. I told him he is welcome to delete whatever he likes. I was only here to get help and I got lots of it. I am very grateful to all, even if they believe I am attacking them just because I use plain, honest language and am targeting a unique computer.
I would just edit this post:

Code: Select all

Sailor Enceladus,

I appreciate the information that you have given me, but I do not appreciate your misstating what I have written.

I never said that atahd did not work, or required many files on the HD. I don't have time for this, or I would list all the other ways in which you have not understood my postings.

Just, please, read all that I've posted before you start replying. It is a drag to keep reading your off-issue statements.

Thanks, and sorry to criticize.
To something like this:

Code: Select all

Sailor Enceladus,

I have attached my pMount screenshot of my HDD too. The puppy.sfs is saved on the root of sda1, which is an NTFS partition, and claims to have 13GB space free. I do seem to be able to mount sda1 and write to the NTFS partition in puppy, just the savefile writing is problematic.

I also tried the iso you posted in the blue link named Slacko 5.7.1 with the newer init and burned it to USB. I still had to use the old trick like you mentioned and copy the adv.sfs, puppy.sfs and zdrv.sfs to the root of C: or it said puppy.sfs not found. Miraculously, saving to disk on this ISO worked without the -24MB error! Thanks again.

Also, here is the link to where I got the information about changing pmedia=usbflash to pmedia=atahd and putting the puppy.sfs on the C: drive: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84558
Maybe it was too much that I expected a message like the 2nd but instead got two responses like the first? :)
(which I would consider "negatively helpful" in solving the problem, as in below 0)

Thanks, and sorry to criticize.
DavidSpectre wrote:"What happens if you simply do a standard, 'full' install to the hard drive? I do apologise if you've already stated this elsewhere, but have you actually tried it? "

No, I have not tried it. While I bought 5 USB drives for this experimentation (8 GB each), I am not willing to buy a hard drive. All my existing current hard drives are busy backing up data or running various versions of Windows. Give me a free hard drive and I'll try a full installation, which may wipe out all partitions and make the disk unusable (that is what happened to one of my USB drives: it is dead from Linux).
Well, I already pointed out how to dual-boot Puppy on the hard drive with XP here. You don't need a new hard drive: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 4&start=29

DavidSpector

#64 Post by DavidSpector »

It is getting rather late here, and I don't think it reasonable that you are asking me to edit a past posting in some detail.

If you feel that I've been uncivil, just complain to the owner of this forum and ask him or her to remove the posting, with my approval.

I would rather focus on actual technical questions and getting answers that work.

Actually, when I give advice on the web I usually test what I propose before I post it. Maybe my career as a software engineer predisposes me to test things so I am reasonably sure they will work for the recipient.

In cases where I cannot test I warn the recipient that I'm just guessing.

I hope this response is helpful, but in any case I'm finished with meta-discussions. If we can get back to EasyPeasy or any other iso that will work on an Eee Asus 1000HE I would be very grateful to you. This kind of meta discussion is so tiring for me. Don't make me use my Cancer card :? .

bigpup

#65 Post by bigpup »

Could try Puppeee, but it is kind of old now.
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppeee
There is a specific iso for the processor you have in your Asus EeePC.
Atom or Celeron
So get the correct iso.

Not sure how browsers will run in it. Those things are demanding for software support.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Sailor Enceladus

#66 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

DavidSpector wrote:I hope this response is helpful
Not at all. Just like the post I wrote please. You can even use it as template and just change the values that are different. :)

8Geee

#67 Post by 8Geee »

Well, this has baked long enough.

@David Spector;

How was the puppy linux installed to the ASUS 1000HE?

Please post the steps in order from the time the cd was created on the main computer. The ASUS 1000HE does not have a cd, just like my 900A. So there are limited options in getting the cd copy to the ASUS 1000HE.

Thank you
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

DavidSpector

Final (?) status

#68 Post by DavidSpector »

8Geee,

I have not had complete success with any Linux on my Eee (Asus 1000HE). The funny thing is that Puppy Tahr Live is running perfectly on my wife's 1000HE computer, helping her to read her gmail and facebook faster and more reliably than did Windows XP. The only known differences are that she has a wireless mouse plugged into it and a large external monitor. Both are handled perfectly, as are the wireless network and the sound system.

I have tried four or five distros/isos. Puppies and Slackos both failed on this old target computer. Each distro typically had one bad bug (for many it was the "sfs not found" bug), followed by others that seemed to have no fixes or workarounds. The last Linux development work for the Eee was done in 2009 and the last user posting before me was in 2010.

The best distro was EasyPeasy, which was the third generation or so of Ubuntu made for the Eee. I'm just having trouble making it connect to my home network. I guess that my Hosts file is incorrect, possibly because I edited it to change the hostname to my computer's name.

The Linux that came with the computer as an option was called Xandos (made by a company of the same name), which is said to have had a poor desktop that some people were able to replace with Gnome or another. However, I've been unsuccessful in finding Xandos, which originally came with a price tag of $99. All the copies, free or not, seem to have disappeared. The computer's recovery partitions undoubtedly have Windows on them.

Hope this helps. I've already given details of what I've tried in several threads in this forum. If you're interested, you probably can find the threads by searching this forum for my name.

This project has been exhausting and I'm on the edge of giving up, especially since I have neglected my more important PHP projects needed by my nonprofit business for a week or two.

Happy new year to everyone!

David

Sailor Enceladus

#69 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

@DavidSpector: Since you are a software engineer, who doesn't want to answer technical questions posted here that can help you (which I've asked you for in 3 different ways), why not debug your problem yourself? Here's the shutdown code: https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... downconfig

DavidSpector

#70 Post by DavidSpector »

Sailor Enceladus,

I'm a Windows-based software engineer, with additional Web design knowledge. I have also worked on the original Multics in a variant of PL/1. I was also fluent in C and C++ and worked on OS/8 and PDP-12 systems software. I have worked on mapping software, and other applications.

My first computer was the LINC, which evolved into the LINC-8 and PDP-12.

However, I have never worked on Linux systems software and do not recognize the language this file is written in. Maybe it is Bash or Python? I once wrote a complete Fortran compiler test system in standard Shell language (sh), but that was many, many years ago.

Sorry. I had a long career before retirement, but I didn't work on every possible system. Parts of this file look relevant, but it would be too difficult for me to learn how to program in this language and how to set up the tools to do complete builds in it.

And as I said, I've been neglecting my real work.

bigpup

#71 Post by bigpup »

Could try Puppeee.
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppeee
There is a specific iso for the processor you have in your Asus EeePC.
Atom or Celeron
So get the correct iso.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Volhout

Asus 1000he

#72 Post by Volhout »

I have one question. If you know Tahr puppy runs fine on that hardware, why not use it yourself?

The Asus 1000he has the same hw as my old notebook. I used Pupeee 4.3 and after that Slacko 5.3.3 and that funtioned well. I had it installed on an sd card, and only used the hdd for storing downloads, next to the original xp . I nexer erased xp. The save file was on the sd card. Bleutooth did not work on this puppy.

But slacko 5.3.3 is quite ancient, and may not run a recent web browser.

If you cant make EONS 2018 work, use tahr pup.

As much as I liked Pupeee, and know it has a lot to offer for this hardware, it is old, and not maintained. Jemimah has left the forum years ago. Everything in it outdated.

Succes

P.s. After I left the eeepc at a friend, he installed lxle on it. Apparently that worked fine.

Mike Walsh

#73 Post by Mike Walsh »

@DavidSpector:-

David:-

Might this be of any use?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/eeecom ... ePC%201.6/

I don't know if this is a variation on Xandros, or quite what it is.....but it's part of a collection of software at Sourceforge specifically for the eeePC community.

If you access the 'Parent folder', you'll find more options. And since it's an .iso file (and 2.7 GB at that), it's a pretty fair bet that it's an operating system of some kind. While not specifically stating it is Xandros, it's obviously designed to run on those machines.

Worth a try, I guess.

Mike. :wink:

DavidSpector

#74 Post by DavidSpector »

Mike, Thanks, but it was previously suggested (somehow I got into several threads in this forum), and requires a very complex set of installation tools (tinybase.zip, utils.zip, and maybe others) and nonobvious steps that I'm not willing to try to figure out. If I'm not mistaken, it is based on Debian. Like all the rest of Eee Linuxes, it was unsupported and unavailable after about 2009. I did manage to find a similar 1.7 iso, but it is too difficult to install.

Mike Walsh

#75 Post by Mike Walsh »

Ah. Oh well, 'fair do's'.

Just a thought. Must have missed that particular reference. Sorry!

Mike. :wink:

DavidSpector

Boot hint

#76 Post by DavidSpector »

Just to record this somewhere:

On the Asus 1000HE, setting the BIOS booting priority to USB drive followed by hard drive produces the following behavior:

Every alternate boot switches back and forth between HD and USB.

Workaround is to press ESC once or twice after pressing start button. This produces a list of HD followed by USB. Use keyboard to move to USB and press Enter.

8Geee

#77 Post by 8Geee »

Recently, I had a chance to review some of the Firefox problems recently encountered. Two problems stand out, and are sometimes used together.

The first is 'workers' that fetch data among other things. These have historically been a nuisance, but with the recent Meltdown/Spectre problems, their usefullness has ended on these older builds like FF27.

The second is 'indexed DB (database)', Again, its been a nuisance that is now in need of an off button.

So, about:config needs a few changes.

Disconnect from internet and open FF27.
In the address bar type about:config and be careful.
In the search bar type worker
Four entries will appear in FF27,
'FALSE' three of them, and change the numeric entry to 1.

OK, in the search bar type index
There will be numerous entries, but two of them are important right now...

dom.indexedDB.enabled
dom.indexedDB.experimental

Both of these two must be set to false (experimental 'should be' false by default)

Now that these are done, close the browser, wait 5-10 seconds and Goto MENU --> Shutdown --> Restart Graphical Server and click. (This step prevents a hang on normal re-starts of the browser).

Other things related to Meltdown/Spectre usually involve autocomplete, or autofill (because they involve caching predicted data). I have already (for a long time) mitigated these in about:config. Consider resetting them to false if you have enabled these 'conveniences'.

At this point, reconnect to internet as usual.

Regards
8Geee
Last edited by 8Geee on Thu 25 Jan 2018, 05:57, edited 1 time in total.

8Geee

Curl update to 7.58

#78 Post by 8Geee »

Curl and Slackware have posted an update for curl -->7.58

Users of curl may wish to read this announcement for a better understanding of the redirection ploy.

The patch is located at slackware.com or in MENU --> Setup --> Slackware Updates

There are no symlinks needed, and usr/DOCS/curl can be removed if not needed. Also, /root/.packages should have the new 7.58 version moved to builtin files with the older file removed.

Regards
8Geee

8Geee

update curl 7.59 and rsync 3.13

#79 Post by 8Geee »

Just found the update for curl --> 7.59
Control Character can write out of bounds.

Also rsync --> 3.13 has been updated to fix security issues. Users of Samba should take special note of this. General Puppy Slacko5.7 users take note that this has NOT been updated since inception.

These are available at Slackware --> Security advisories --> 2018. The usual save the .package file to built-in, and remove the doc file (users of curl may wish to save, ditto for Samba)

Regards
8Geee

8Geee

vorbis update

#80 Post by 8Geee »

Found this today...

Security patch for vorbis and related.
vorbis has not been updated since inception.

Users of audio software/codecs might want to keep doc files... none provided in original slacko5.7, otherwise toss. The root.packages file should be moved to built-in.

Three Symlinks are needed on this update in usr/lib. Look for duplicate file names, A relative link from old to new needs to be made after removing old file.

After all this is done, shutdown/restart.

Regards
8Geee