AtomicPup2020 Released

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Pelo

dont feel alone !

#16 Post by Pelo »

hello 8Geee, pelo back again on your puppies, which i remember. That is something nice for you. There are many that pass and go away without leaving you any souvenir.
I must admit that I don't care of date of release of distros. On the contrary i should say as a french wine, the older are the best
mini-eee2.iso: 133 M this one is running in my isobooter pendrive. AH i like a lot the colours. I will pick up theme to decorate the sad Slacko born last years
Users now don't post a lot.. Linux students can work quiet. No questions posted by newbies about trouble. It looks like only linux people have troubles;.
I feel ad when our Puppy builders don't have any feed back, even from colleagues.
About my screenshot, these things are ubknown. Are they really useful.. I ignore.
Of course i install firefox 17.0.11 ESR, because a brower is the main application when you pay for a wireless connection.
About isobooter, it's really a nice tool to test fast several OS, even Ubuntu.. No longer use virtualbos. These 19k0 do as well, they do even better.
Attachments
couleurs.jpg
Avidemux 2.5.5 included.
(71.35 KiB) Downloaded 1344 times
Last edited by Pelo on Tue 08 Aug 2017, 03:23, edited 3 times in total.

Pelo

Do businessmen buy eeepc.. ? that the question..

#17 Post by Pelo »

Asus Eee Pc 1018p is for businessmen.. (french feed-back)
My IsoBooter (DOGs anre now smaller than Puppies, and however full featured.. Wake-up, Puppy builders !)
title mini-eee2
partnew (hd0,3) 0x00 (hd0,0)/mini-eee2.iso
map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 (hd0,0)/mini-eee2.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
kernel /vmlinuz pmedia=cd psavemark=1 pfix=fsck
initrd /initrd.gz

title StretchDog32-2017-07-04
partnew (hd0,3) 0x00 (hd0,0)/StretchDog32-2017-07-04.iso
map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 (hd0,0)/StretchDog32-2017-07-04.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
chainloader (0xff)

title TrunkPup540
partnew (hd0,3) 0x00 (hd0,0)/TrunkPup540.iso
map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 (hd0,0)/TrunkPup540.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
kernel /vmlinuz pmedia=cd psavemark=1 pfix=fsck
initrd /initrd.gz
Attachments
1018p.jpg
Asus Eee PC 1018P
(43.69 KiB) Downloaded 1287 times
Last edited by Pelo on Tue 08 Aug 2017, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

openssl 1.0.2k, pcap, and tcpdump

#18 Post by Pelo »

EONS 2017B iwith new updates to openssl 1.0.2k, pcap, and tcpdump. All of these have been needed. that cannot be translated. Wo do you speak 8Geee, to your colleagues puppy-builders ? they are busy, no time to spend on other babies than their own..
What does that means these strange words .What to update in my mini ?
My laptop is medion Akoya. no wieless at all available to move, indoor, and outdoor. Kernel 3.4.82 not listed by rcrsn51, for dongles
dommage. I have just bought a battery (expensive) to get outside..
Attachments
unchained.jpg
iwlwifi obtained thanks to emergency kit at home
(88.91 KiB) Downloaded 1307 times

8Geee

curl update

#19 Post by 8Geee »

Recently there has been an update to curl 7.51 --> 7.55. There are security concerns in how the certificates are handled, and a few errors.

NOTE: if you get a "broken link" error in the Updates Package in Slacko 5.7, please
use this link. Answer "Yes" and the Puppy Package Manager will install the update. You may remove the /usr/doc files, and place the "curl7.55_files" in /root/.config into the built_in folder.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

8Geee

YouTube Videos fix

#20 Post by 8Geee »

Recently I have noticed that YouTube has refused to play in all four spins.

There is a fix for this with a few quirks;
1.) Videos will not play in a new tab.
2.) Videos are not paused at start.
3.) The gear icon at lower right of video must be used to turn off
annotations and autoplay.

By pausing the Vid, the settings in item 3 can be changed. Then resume play.

To accomplish this;
1.) Disconnect from internet
2.) Open Firefox and click OK in "not connected" dialog.
3.) Click on TOOLS. Select Add-ons. Find YouTube ALL HTML5 2.1.3,
and Click on PREFERENCES.
a.) UNCHECK Disable SPF
b.) CHANGE Internet Explorer to API by clicking on the API option.

4.) Open a new tab using the "+" at top of page, and close the other tab.
5.) In the address bar type about:config and click OK
6.) In the search bar type media
7.) Scroll to media.mediasource.enabled and double-click to "TRUE"
8.) Close Firefox
9.) Goto MENU ---> SHUTDOWN and select "Restart Graphical Server"

Step 9. is needed in case FF hangs on closure (it does sometimes when
there are setting changes).

When you connect to the internet you can try the settings at YouTube.
The unsupported whine can be ignored using the "NO THANKS" button.

Regards
8Geee

8Geee

eons2018 ready for D/L

#21 Post by 8Geee »

BASH has been tested and apparently fixed using version 4.1.17. So the EONS version is now "ready". On Page #1 Post #1 is the link. with new notes, and the sha1sums.

Regards
8Geee

8Geee

2 updates

#22 Post by 8Geee »

It figures as soon as the new general updates get U/L for use that two security updates from Uncle Slack are released.

The first one (was) is libxml2 (9/23/17). This does not have a CVE entry, but was discovered internally by Slackware. A symlink is needed after removing the older version. The DOC files can be removed and the .packages file in root can be moved to builtin_files with removal of the most recent version.
----------------------------------------------------
The second is curl7.56 This one has CVE entries and the write up suggests that this one be done.

"Due to a flaw in the string parser for the directory name, a directory name passed without a closing double quote would lead to libcurl not adding a trailing NUL byte to the buffer holding the name. When libcurl would then later access the string, it could read beyond the allocated heap buffer and crash or wrongly access data beyond the buffer, thinking it was part of the path."

As with the first update a symlink is needed, and the .packages file moved. Folks that are directly using CURL might want to keep the DOC files.

Regards
8Geee

8Geee

Firefox27 bug/typo

#23 Post by 8Geee »

The August 2017 version of the FF27 thats installed has a bug/typo in about:config and its an important one...

Change the "4" value in security.tls.version.max to a "3" w/o quotes. It appears that the 4 value DOES NOT imply TLS1.3, but rather recycles to a ZERO setting allowing TLS 1.0 (not secure). And it appears in Edit --> Preferences I left the popup blocker on... thats a nuissance here, and elsewhere when internally re-directing to another page.

Regards
8Geee

8Geee

wpa_supplicant

#24 Post by 8Geee »

A very important update for wi-fi users... Slackware has published the wpa_supplicant update to mitigate "KRACK" vunerabilities. Its about as mandatory as possible, since this is a global failure of wpa_supplicant.

Note that MENU --> Setup --> Updates from Slackware MUST show version 2.6

If it does not, goto MENU --> System --> Puppy Package Manager and click on the crossed wrench

Make sure only these boxes are checked

puppy-slacko-official
Slackware-14.0-official
Slackware-14.0-patches
Option: Slackware-14.0-salix (European)

When set close both the Wrench window and PPM window.
Reopen the PPM and the wrench window and click on UPDATE NOW
Press enter for all options
When done: close both windows

Now you will have the latest updates available from Uncle Slacky, and can D/L the patch for wpa_supplicant.

Regards
8Geee

8Geee

#25 Post by 8Geee »

Folks that are still using the elder "mini-eee" version can use the updates posted here for EONS. This particular wifi security update should be applied. And BTW, after accomplishing the update, its a good time to remaster considering BASH (use slacko 13.37 version! ) and WPA2 are fixed.

Carry on
8Geee

8Geee

EONS 2018A

#26 Post by 8Geee »

I have decided to release an "A" revision of EONS 2018 due to the severity of the WPA_supplicant security concerns. Please see the 1st Post on 1st Page.

Regards
8Geee

8Geee

Curl Patch

#27 Post by 8Geee »

Mini-eee users can use these...

A reminder that curl and wget have just been patched.
curl --> 7.56-1
WGET removed... FAILED: keep version 1.18

No symlinks are needed, and /usr/doc files can be removed.
The root/.packages files can be moved to built_in

Regards
8Geee
Last edited by 8Geee on Tue 20 Mar 2018, 04:05, edited 1 time in total.

8Geee

Openssl 1.0.2m update

#28 Post by 8Geee »

Slackware has made available an openssl patch from 1.0.2k --> 1.0.2m today. This update proceeds differently than all others due to the 1.0.2 version.

Go to slackware.com --> Security Advisories --> 2017

At or near top of list is the "openssl" update link, click on that.

There are TWO files to D/L, first is the "solibs". It may be underneath the main file.

Highlight with Double-click then right click to COPY
Open a new tab and PASTE the link, then ENTER
Select open with pupzip, and click YES in yellow dialog box.
Puppy Package Manager will install, click yes upon TWO dialog boxes. NOTE there may be a long-ish delay

When done go back to previous tab and repeat these steps for the "openssl" itself.

When done with both D/L's close the browser and disconnect from internet.

There are no symlinks to perform, or unusual things to do. The /usr/doc files may be deleted, and the /tmp zip-files.
In /root move the .packages files ( use <o> button to show the hidden packages file) to built-in and delete the 1.0.2K files.

At this point, a shutdown and reboot can be done, then connect to internet again.

Regards
8Geee
Last edited by 8Geee on Thu 30 Nov 2017, 01:09, edited 1 time in total.

8Geee

Curl Xcursor and Xfont patches

#29 Post by 8Geee »

Two updates were provided today from slackware.

Curl 7.57 is newest curl patch available. This fixes improper wildcard use, and SSL reads 'out of bounds'. No symlinks are needed, and the package text file can be moved to built_in folder. DOC files may be discarded, though users of curl-ftp should review them.

LibXcursor has not been updated in slacko5.7 since inception. At this time there is need to correct improper sizing of requests for 32-bit systems. Again, no need for symlinks, and DOC files can be reviewed/tossed. Move the /~.package file to built_in.

EDIT*** libXfont did not appear in the Slackware update in MENU... yet libXfont does exist. Go to Slackware.com --> Security Advisories --> 2017. It is near the top. See the "openssl 1.0.2m" update posting just above for parallel instructions to install.

Regards
8Geee

8Geee

Openssl 1.0.2n

#30 Post by 8Geee »

Theres a new update to Openssl from 1.0.2m --> n.
The proceedure for install is found here, just use the latest update 12/08/2017.

Regards
8Geee

DavidSpector

Success and problems

#31 Post by DavidSpector »

8Geee, I was referred to this thread by bigpup because I have created a live USB drive from the puppy Slacko distro s57-2018a.iso on target computer Eee Asus 1000HE, which runs Windows XP on every alternate boot.

This distro works nicely for the most part. Thanks for your work. The mouse, keyboard, audio, screen, Internet, and browser all work fine.

The first time I booted, I got the often-occurring error message "puppy_slacko_5.7.sfs not found", even though that file was on the USB drive, plain as day. I say "often-occurring" because I've found reports of it 8 years back on the Web, and I've encountered it myself with every distro I've tried on this 1000HE. It seems to be a bug that is inherited by all distros created from either puppy or Linux in general.

The standard syslinux.cfg file ends with the option "pmedia=cd". I don't think this causes the bug, because changing to strings like "usb" and "usbflash" doesn't usually help (I haven't tried it with s57-2018a.iso because I assume it will fail).

So I do the old trick of moving the puppy_slacko_5.7.sfs file from the USB drive to the Windows C: drive on the target computer, and editing that final option in syslinux.cfg to "pmedia=atahd". This makes the Linux boot look on the Windows C: drive partition to find the SFS file. This works.

However, any customizations of the resulting live Linux are lost, because when Saving during Quit or Reboot the reported size is -24 MB (yes, negative). Either the save file is not loaded on the next boot (I don't see it in the messages scrolling by) or it is loaded but is empty.

Can anyone listening to this thread help me?

8Geee

#32 Post by 8Geee »

If you open /mnt/home/extlinux.conf what do you see on Line 12?

The version should contain 'append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash pfix=copy' without marks.

That is in addition to 'cd' initrd has these other qualities.

Be careful using FAT based files, they fragment.

Regards
8Geee

DavidSpector

Results

#33 Post by DavidSpector »

I opened the Edit icon and got Geany. The choices were root and File System. I chose File System, not sure why. Then I opened mnt. Under mnt there was no home directory. There was a flash directory, but it is empty. Not sure what I should do now.

Some questions: Doesn't Linux have a defragmenter? And why should the USB drive get fragmented if it is never written?

Sailor Enceladus

Re: Results

#34 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

DavidSpector wrote:I opened the Edit icon and got Geany. The choices were root and File System. I chose File System, not sure why. Then I opened mnt. Under mnt there was no home directory. There was a flash directory, but it is empty. Not sure what I should do now.
You can probably get there by clicking on the flash stick icon on desktop (probably sdb1, last one on the bottom of this image).

Once you have it open in the file manager, you can probably open text files by right-clicking on them and Open as Text.

DavidSpector

#35 Post by DavidSpector »

Sailor Enceladus, When I clicked on the USB plug icon, I got a file manager, not gparted.

The file manager was looking at mnt/sdb, if I recall correctly. But the files it showed were only the files on the USB drive, the same files that were put there when I created the puppy boot system.

There is no "home" or any other directory.