So, what is the main Puppy you use on a day to day basis

Using applications, configuring, problems
nic007

So, what is the main Puppy you use on a day to day basis

#1 Post by nic007 »

Okay, I have settled on a hybrid. Basically Precise 5.7.1 with the Tahr 6.0.5 kernel. I use that with a new browser, VLC and MPV as add-ons to enhance multimedia capabilities. There are some more personal alterations to the sytem itself but that's basically it. Main sfs is 91MB and the kernel (zdrv) 23MB. I can do everything I want with this system and the size is what I expect from a good, functional Puppy.

watchdog

#2 Post by watchdog »

I keep experimenting new puppies and new functionalities from the forum. I haven't a main puppy. I begin the day with a random puppy and I reboot to other puppies, new and very old, many times.

Argolance

#3 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
I use ToOpPy daily (without wanting to advertise for!), based on Puppy Precise 5.7.3, with the 4.4.95 kernel and I admit that until now, I haven't found any major reason to change it since "Skype" and Bluetooth management aside, everything I need works perfectly...

Cordialement.

rufwoof

#4 Post by rufwoof »

Fatdog Set up to boot from and save to usb (usb multi-session). Where the usb stick is unplugged once booted. Typically I just boot, uplug usb, use, shutdown without saving, so the exact same pristine clean OS and clean version of the latest chrome browser at each bootup and no opportunity for a in-session crack to compromise the MBR, bootloader, kernel ...etc. When a new browser is released, boot, update, save, unplug usb.

Most systems strive to keep harm out - good luck with that (involves running anti virus, intrusion detection measures, regular updates etc.), with defence you have to be spot-on 100% of the time (and even the best of systems at times fall short). Fatdog usb-multisession takes the opposite stance, for instance hand your root running in ram laptop (without the usb stick) to a cracker and whatever they do is just a reboot away from being undone. Combined with data encryption to only reveal selected files as and when you need access, and of course good data backup practices - and you're far better protected than the alternatives. Want to pay your credit card bill, clean reboot and go directly to your bank web site nowhere else before or after (reboot again after you're done), and its comparable to having used a brand new system to do that transaction.

In short, most systems take the view that they're keeping harm out - that they're safe. Whilst for a brief instant at some historic point in time something might have slipped in unnoticed. From the other angle, assuming the system is open, has been compromised, but where you can in effect reinstall a brand new version again within seconds (in the time it takes to reboot) ... is so much better.

The Fatdog team are great and do a wonderful job - everything just works. And unlike Puppy that pulls in binaries from other distros, Fatdog is entirely built from source code, so it tends to pull together better.
Last edited by rufwoof on Tue 30 Jul 2019, 12:14, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

peebee

#5 Post by peebee »

LxPupSc (Slackware Current / LXDE)

+ latest stable kernel (currently 5.2.3)

+ Chromium
+ Thunderbird
+ Libreoffice
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

ozsouth

#6 Post by ozsouth »

ScPup64 19.01-5 +kernel 4.14.131 +wpsoffice 2016 +seamonkey 2.49.4

Wiz57

#7 Post by Wiz57 »

ScPup with LXQt DE, 19.06 32 bit, PCManFM, Palemoon browser
along with a standard ScPup 32 bit 19.06
(until peebee posts an update to ScPup 19.XX !!!! :lol: )

Mike Walsh

#8 Post by Mike Walsh »

Gawd.... :oops: Where do I start?

Out of the ten I currently run, I honestly don't have a firm favourite. They're all equally good (and great fun) in their own way. Since all my data is on a large external drive, and everything I use regularly is sym-linked into all Pups, it makes no difference which one I fire-up at the end of the day....my work-flow is still the same. :D

I suppose, though, that I perhaps spend more time in Slacko 560 than most of the others. Puppy's spoilt me; the days when I ran a single OS are long past.....

(BTW, Nic, thanks very much for the Grub4DOS XPM splash images. I don't know the first thing about mtPaint - I've never actually used it - but that 'puppy2A.xpm' is just the ticket. Thanks!)

Mike. :wink:

ally

#9 Post by ally »

bionicpup64

:)

8Geee

#10 Post by 8Geee »

Slacko5.7 since 2015. Shrink-wrapped to fit an Atom CPU. :wink:
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

greengeek

#11 Post by greengeek »

Mike Walsh wrote:Gawd.... :oops: Where do I start?
Hi Mike - I love your new avatar. Hard to believe it is only 18kB. How did you make it? (please :-) )

dancytron

#12 Post by dancytron »

Debian Dog Stretch 64 with the simple openbox/pcmanfm desktop.

edit: link to build script I used to make what I use.

https://github.com/DebianDog/MakeLive/b ... -debiandog
Last edited by dancytron on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.

greengeek

#13 Post by greengeek »

Just a request - would it be possible for each respondent to try to include a link to the distro they are using?
(it's easy for new users to end up with a slightly different version if people don't specify exactly which version they are using....)
cheers!

darry19662018

#14 Post by darry19662018 »

Puduan 6:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107796

Buster with kernel k3.14.0 - the kernel from Puduan6
https://archive.org/details/busterk3.14.0

SCPup 19.01 K3.14.56PAE - the kernel from Tahr PAE.
https://archive.org/details/scpup19.01k3.14.56pae

HP Pavillion dv6000 - Seems happier with series 3 kernels.
Puppy Linux Wiki: [url]http://wikka.puppylinux.com/HomePage[/url]

[url]https://freemedia.neocities.org/[/url]

nic007

#15 Post by nic007 »

The main Puppy you use is of course not always the best Puppy for your specific hardware. The original release of TahrPup 6.0.5 for example is perfect for my old laptop so much so it seems it has been hand-made for my machine. But of course all that pefection is boring. I think most Puppyist like to tinker with things. That's why I'm using Precise most of the time to try new things/alterations. The latter is a good base as it's ubuntu based and somewhat a "bridge" between old and new. Previously I used Racy for tinkering and so on but it's getting a bit too outdated now. Still run it now and then though as it's still fun to use.

greengeek

#16 Post by greengeek »

nic007 wrote:The main Puppy you use is of course not always the best Puppy for your specific hardware. The original release of TahrPup 6.0.5 for example is perfect for my old laptop so much so it seems it has been hand-made for my machine. But of course all that pefection is boring.
True - maybe there are two questions - which default puppy works most easily with your hardware - and which puppy is best for you in modified form?
Not always the same.

Mike Walsh

#17 Post by Mike Walsh »

greengeek wrote:
Mike Walsh wrote:Gawd.... :oops: Where do I start?
Hi Mike - I love your new avatar. Hard to believe it is only 18kB. How did you make it? (please :-) )
Hallo, Ian. Look in your 'Inbox'; I've given you a blow-by-blow account of how I put it together - resources included & all.

Mike. :wink:

mikeslr

#18 Post by mikeslr »

Modified Xenialpup64 with Slacko 5.7.2CE as backup.

Primarily I use Xenialpup64-7.5 but periodically replace its kernel and zdrv (and when necessary fdrv) with one of the latest published. And rather than whatever web-browser was built in, I use Mike Walsh's latest publication of Google-Chrome and both Palemoon and Firefox-Quantum portables which auto-update. I did something similar with Tahrpup64 until I was satisfied that Xenialpup64 enabled me to run some version of the applications I occasionally want at least was well as Tahrpup64.

I also occasionally run, and update, Bionicpup64 and dpupbuster64 waiting for one or the other to provide some advantage over Xenialpup64.

On occasion the wifi signal my computer receives is of limited strength. On those occasions, Slacko 5.7.2CE is more responsive.