Don't just blindly copy code/text from a site...even murga's

For discussions about security.
belham2

Don't just blindly copy code/text from a site...even murga's

#1 Post by belham2 »

Following this rule of thumb is just plain smart, as some on here have noted before:

http://lifepluslinux.blogspot.be/2017/0 ... te-to.html

drunkjedi

#2 Post by drunkjedi »

That's why code boxes are there

Code: Select all

font is small [size=0]can see it?[/size]
colour is changed [color=white]still see it?[/color]
Anything written in between

[ /code] is shown as it is. Can't hide there.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

greengeek

#3 Post by greengeek »

Thanks belham - very important lesson. Freaked me out.

ls ; clear; echo 'Haha! You gave me access to your computer with sudo!'; echo -ne 'h4cking ## (10%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ### (20%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ##### (33%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ####### (40%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ########## (50%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ############# (66%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ##################### (99%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ####################### (100%)\r'; echo -ne '\n'; echo 'Hacking complete.'; echo 'Use GUI interface using visual basic to track my IP'
ls -lat
As he says - paste into a text editor before copying it into a terminal. Lesson learnt.
cheers!

belham2

#4 Post by belham2 »

drunkjedi wrote:That's why code boxes are there

font is small [size=0]can see it?[/size]
colour is changed [color=white]still see it?[/color]
Anything written in between

[ /code] is shown as it is. Can't hide there.

Please correct me if I am wrong.[/quote]

Hi drunkjedi,

No, unfortunately the [code]
boxes do nothing to stop this. The thing is, they themselves (among other tricks) are coded to have the same color (off-white) background. Besides, the hackers have learned to use "0" sized font along with that background trick, and it makes it hard (but not impossible) to recognize by just looking at the

box or whatever that is put in it (on any website).

As greengeek notes, best way around this is to just slap it in Geany (or any other text editor), where you'll have the ability to see spacing gaps that look weird, changing background and foreground coloring, or recognizing code that is just gibberish. I think for us (those that are on murga here frequently), we are more careful than most. The worry is with those who are not. Still, I've stared at some stuff posted here, long scripts, and there would be no way to know unless I didn't first throw that script into an editor, starting changing the text & background colors, and the highlighting colors, especially of any extended (special) code areas. I have a "special" profile in Geany set up just for this, that way it takes a few seconds to set up, and quickly check & look over the script I downloaded before I commit it to the OS.

drunkjedi

#5 Post by drunkjedi »

Yes I understand that it can be written like below here on murga too

ls[size=0] ; clear; echo 'Haha! You gave me access to your computer with sudo!'; echo -ne 'h4cking ## (10%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ### (20%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ##### (33%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ####### (40%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ########## (50%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ############# (66%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ##################### (99%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ####################### (100%)\r'; echo -ne '\n'; echo 'Hacking complete.'; echo 'Use GUI interface using visual basic to track my IP' ls[/size] -lat

But what I meant that I couldn't replicate that in code box.
And so I think it's ok to copy from code box as what you see in code box is what you get.....

ls[color=white][size=0] ; clear; echo 'Haha! You gave me access to your computer with sudo!'; echo -ne 'h4cking ## (10%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ### (20%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ##### (33%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ####### (40%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ########## (50%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ############# (66%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ##################### (99%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ####################### (100%)\r'; echo -ne '\n'; echo 'Hacking complete.'; echo 'Use GUI interface using visual basic to track my IP' ls[/color][/size] -lat

belham2

#6 Post by belham2 »

drunkjedi wrote:Yes I understand that it can be written like below here on murga too

ls[size=0] ; clear; echo 'Haha! You gave me access to your computer with sudo!'; echo -ne 'h4cking ## (10%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ### (20%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ##### (33%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ####### (40%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ########## (50%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ############# (66%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ##################### (99%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ####################### (100%)\r'; echo -ne '\n'; echo 'Hacking complete.'; echo 'Use GUI interface using visual basic to track my IP' ls[/size] -lat

But what I meant that I couldn't replicate that in code box.
And so I think it's ok to copy from code box as what you see in code box is what you get.....

ls[color=white][size=0] ; clear; echo 'Haha! You gave me access to your computer with sudo!'; echo -ne 'h4cking ## (10%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ### (20%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ##### (33%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ####### (40%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ########## (50%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ############# (66%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ##################### (99%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ####################### (100%)\r'; echo -ne '\n'; echo 'Hacking complete.'; echo 'Use GUI interface using visual basic to track my IP' ls[/color][/size] -lat

Below is a the first sentence of the same output. You just gotta know how to fool the code /code entry, and it is not something I am going to post here (or anywhere).

[/code]

Sailor Enceladus

#7 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

belham2 wrote:Below is a the first sentence of the same output. You just gotta know how to fool the code /code entry, and it is not something I am going to post here (or anywhere).

[/code]
It didn't work. I think it would be better to post how to do it (if it's possible), so that others are aware that using the code box can be rigged too.

edit: I guess this is close heh...
Code wrote:ls[size=0] ; clear; echo 'Haha! You gave me access to your computer with sudo!'; echo -ne 'h4cking ## (10%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ### (20%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ##### (33%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ####### (40%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ########## (50%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ############# (66%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ##################### (99%)\r'; sleep 0.3; echo -ne 'h4cking ####################### (100%)\r'; echo -ne '\n'; echo 'Hacking complete.'; echo 'Use GUI interface using visual basic to track my IP' ls[/size] -lat

belham2

#8 Post by belham2 »

You guys are right. I was wrong. It does not work. Please just do me a favor, though, and anything you copy from here or anywhere, whether with or not, throw what's copied into an IDE text editor, have a different profile you can load for it quickly in that text editor (reverse the settings on that profile), and take a quick look. Geany is the best for this.

drunkjedi

#9 Post by drunkjedi »

No worries mate, thanks for finding it.

Will be more careful while copying from a post.

And also will always post any commands or scripts using Code blocks, if I post any.