Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 15 Oct 2019, 02:32
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Which Windows programmes are you running in WIne?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 3 [40 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
nic007

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan 2017, 01:18    Post subject:  Which Windows programmes are you running in WIne?  

I do: 2nd Speech Center (text -to-speech); AllerCalc (financial calculator); Atlantis Word Processor; CyberSky (Astronomy); IrfanView (image viewer/converter/editor); I-SoundPro (sound recorder); mp3DirectCut (mp3 cutter/joiner/editor/recorder); MP3Tag (mp3 tagger); mp3Trackmaker (mp3 joiner/cutter); NNNesterJ (nes game emulator); Splitter (file splitter and joiner); Spreadsheet32; SumatraPDF (pdf reader); uTorrent; WinRAR; XMplay (audio player with dsp effects). Unfortunately can't get Lotus Organizer (PIM) to run. All of them are relatively small in size.
LazY Puppy

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan 2017, 03:28    Post subject:  

I got a Wine SFS Module with an installed Corel Draw Suite 8.

Here's my list of Portable (or portable made) Apps for Wine:

7Zip, AbiWordPortable, AIMP2Portable, AIMPPortable, AmazingMIDI, AndreaMosaicPortable, AniFXPortable, AnimanieSMPPortable, Arachne, ArtOfIllusion, ArtWeaver05, ArtWeaver10, AudacityPortable, AudioGrabber, CaesiumPortable, Centarsia, ColorPic, CyberSky, DarkShot2, DeepRipper, Designer, DiaPortable, Digifoto, DVDStylerPortable, EasyThumbs, FotoColorierer, Fotografix, FotoMosaik, FotoSketcher, FotoTagger, FractalFr0st, FrameFun, FunPicsPortable, GreenfishIconEditorProPortable, GunGirl, Hornil-StylePix-1.7.0, IcoFX, IconsFromFile, ImageForge, ImLab, JPEGSnoop, JPG-Illuminator, Kid3Portable, LibreCADPortable, Lightscreen, LightScreenPortable, LMMS, LuminanceHDR, MagicColors, MarblePortable, MC-BlackFrame, MC-BWorks, MC-ClearSkin, MC-ColorCast, MC-DCEnhancer, MC-DigitalPictureIndexer, MC-FilterSim, MC-HotPixels, MC-JPGQuery, MC-RGBLights, MP3DirectCut, MP3GainPortable, MSynth, MuseScorePortable, No23Recorder, NSISPortable, OctavaSD, OpenOfficePortable, PaulStretchPortable, PDFSaM, PDFTKBuilderPortable, PDFToolKit, PencilProjectPortable, PhotoFiltrePortable, PhotoLine, PhotoScape, PicturePublisher, Pola-3.0, QaPa-Azulejos, Qtpfsgui, RawTherapeePortable, ScribusPortable, SeamCarvingGUI, SkyMap, Slideshow-Moviemaker37, SmartDeblurPortable, SmillaEnlarger, Stella2000, StellariumPortable, StereoPhotoMaker, TagScanner, Terragen-0.9.19, View3DScene, VirtualDubPortable, WaveShopPortable, WebCat, Wink, WinmorphPortable, Xenon, WavOSaur

Though, I haven't used them for a long time...

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) Laughing

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! Wink
Sylvander

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan 2017, 04:51    Post subject:  

See THIS POST about Acerose Password Vault v1.02.
I run the portable version of this from the Flash Drive on which it is held. [It can be installed if preferred]
I run the "winefile" command at a terminal command prompt, navigate to the exe file using the Z: drive in WINE, and click on the exe to run it.
I can run this using various Puppies.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan 2017, 06:10    Post subject:  

Morning, all.

If I'm right, a lot of the apps LazYPuppy mentions above are from the portableapps.com website. I recognise them, because I've started experimenting with these myself recently!

They run very well indeed. I'm on WINE version 1.7.51; it runs everything I want it to run, including Photoshop CS2 & parts of M$ Office 2000 (WORD, mainly, and Exel; don't even think about Outlook Express..!)

Others include Mooi's Photoscape, M$'s own 'Paint' program (there's still stuff I find this invaluable for, like modifying graphics on a pixel-by-pixel basis), IrfanView, and Linear Technology's LTSpice-IV, for circuit diagrams.

I also have the current version of the Jarte word processor, and Adobe's Digital Editions e-Book reader (thanks to Jakob Cornelis for the tip on this one). Also Foxit's current release of their PDF reader, too; this runs better under WINE than the native Linux version does.

The 'portables' all run from their own 'PortableApps' folder in /root. A lot of WINE stuff doesn't generate it's own Menu entries, so I make these up, too.....thanks to mikeslr for the tip on how to do these, around 18 months ago. Nice one, Mike! Cheers.

--------------------------------

As musher0 told me a while back, there's no shame in running a mixture of Linux and Windows stuff. Just accept the fact that for some things, Windows apps are better.....and for other things, Linux stuff works fine. It's all about getting things done, at the end of the day; there's no point in being so dogmatic that you shoot your own foot in the process..!

@Nic007:- Just out of curiosity, what version of WINE are you running.....and where from, or who put it together?

Mike. Wink

nic007

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan 2017, 07:03    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
Morning, all.

If I'm right, a lot of the apps LazYPuppy mentions above are from the portableapps.com website. I recognise them, because I've started experimenting with these myself recently!

They run very well indeed. I'm on WINE version 1.7.51; it runs everything I want it to run, including Photoshop CS2 & parts of M$ Office 2000 (WORD, mainly, and Exel; don't even think about Outlook Express..!)

Others include Mooi's Photoscape, M$'s own 'Paint' program (there's still stuff I find this invaluable for, like modifying graphics on a pixel-by-pixel basis), IrfanView, and Linear Technology's LTSpice-IV, for circuit diagrams.

I also have the current version of the Jarte word processor, and Adobe's Digital Editions e-Book reader (thanks to Jakob Cornelis for the tip on this one). Also Foxit's current release of their PDF reader, too; this runs better under WINE than the native Linux version does.

The 'portables' all run from their own 'PortableApps' folder in /root. A lot of WINE stuff doesn't generate it's own Menu entries, so I make these up, too.....thanks to mikeslr for the tip on how to do these, around 18 months ago. Nice one, Mike! Cheers.

As musher0 told me a while back, there's no shame in running a mixture of Linux and Windows stuff. Just accept the fact that for some things, Windows apps are better.....and for other things, Linux stuff works fine. It's all about getting things done, at the end of the day; there's no point in being so dogmatic that you shoot your own foot in the process..!

@Nic007:- Just out of curiosity, what version of WINE are you running.....and where from, or who put it together?

Mike. Wink

Hi, Mike. As old and small as possible (mine is version 1.1.41) and works from puppy 412 through tahr. Can't remember who compiled it, it's OLD (greendome?). The version of the programs also not the most recent possibly. I agree portable applications are best to use however none of the programs I use are portable versions. I just copied the particular folders from my XP machine and made one SFS file which gets loaded at bootup. I run it either via scripts I made for each exe (which I all have in one folder) or via menu entry (I made desktop files for each).
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan 2017, 07:37    Post subject:  

Hiya, Nic.

Mm-hm. Portable apps definitely work best.....and since I use the same version of WINE in all my Pups, it's only a case of copying over the entire /root/PortableApps directory, and installing the appropriate MenuEntry .pets.

My WINE 1.7.51 is by version2013.....which, as I understand it, is simply greendome's current incarnation on the Forum. The guy's an understated genius; I've never had the slightest problem with getting his stuff running (and it always works perfectly!)

Just installed SmartDeblurPortable from the portableapps.com site, for sharpening up out-of-focus pictures. I get quite a few of these when I'm working with images sourced off the 'net.....and you can never tell from thumbnail images how good the image really is until you've downloaded it.

Works rather well, TBH; I'm quite pleased with that one..!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess, if I'm perfectly honest here, that I could simply move the entire PortableApps directory to a USB drive, and run them all from there.....switching between machines, and editing the Menu entries to suit. I've got some SanDisk Cruzer 'Fit' nano-sized USB 3.0 drives; I can't boot off them, 'cos I use a USB 3.0 PCI-e slot adapter card (boot microcode would need to be flashed to the adapter card's ROM chip, and none of them have that capability as of the present day).....but even running via a USB 2.0 slot, they're a hell of a lot faster than a standard USB 2.0 flash drive; so 'latency' under WINE shouldn't be that much of a problem, really.

Mm. Interesting idea. There's another project to play around with..... Laughing

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 29 Jan 2017, 21:23; edited 2 times in total
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan 2017, 10:10    Post subject:  

I've just done some experimenting with PortableApps running from one of my USB 3.0 flash drives.....and it works really well.

I copied the entire 'PortableApps' folder across to the drive, freshly re-formatted to ext3. I then created a 'LAUNCH' folder alongside it, containing simple launch scripts for each app. These are merely a modification of the normal entries I get with my MenuEntry .pets for these, found in /root/my-applications/bin.

For instance, IrfanView changes from:-

Code:
#!/bin/sh
wine /root/PortableApps/IrfanviewPortable/IrfanViewPortable.exe

.....to:-

Code:
#!/bin/sh
wine /mnt/sdh1/PortableApps/IrfanviewPortable/IrfanViewPortable.exe

.....reflecting the change of location from /root to /mnt/sdh1. So all you need to do is enter the 'LAUNCH' directory and click on the appropriate script. Easy-peasy!

I did originally try simply sym-linking the .exe files themselves across to the 'LAUNCH' directory, but I got the complaint that the '.appinfo' file couldn't be found..... Go figure. Rolling Eyes So, launcher scripts it is!

If you want to run this on different machines, you would need to modify the launcher script to reflect the appropriate location of the drive, since it isn't necessarily going to be the same from one machine to the next, depending on what peripherals you regularly have connected. Therefore, I would think it might be just as easy to have more than one launcher script for each app, depending on which machine you wish to run it on.....labelled appropriately so that you know which is which.

Mike. Wink

nic007

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan 2017, 11:05    Post subject:  

My SFS with all windows programs expands to / so always the same directory for the scripts. But as you say, the programmes could be all over the show one just needs to specify the correct paths in ones scripts for the exe's.
LazY Puppy

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan 2017, 13:08    Post subject:  

Quote:
If I'm right, a lot of the apps LazYPuppy mentions above are from the portableapps.com website.

Right!

Though, I'm not using the PortableApps starter, since I'd setup my system to run .exe files out of the box after clicking its menu entry (they are automatically collected into one of my Menu Pipes at boot up).

Content of my /root/Choices/MIME-types/application_x-ms-dos-executable
Code:
#! /bin/sh
exec $HOME/Choices/MIME-types/application_x-my-wine-apps-starter "$@"

Content of $HOME/Choices/MIME-types/application_x-my-wine-apps-starter
Code:
#!/bin/sh
# Portable Wine Apps --> execute Applications in Wine
# RSH #

SUBMITTEDEXE="$@"

if [[ -f /usr/bin/wine || "`which wine`" != "" ]]; then

exec wine "$SUBMITTEDEXE"

################################
   else # [ "`which wine`" != "" ];
   ################################

## Get boot directory
   #. /usr/sbin/ceelab/lp2_sys_data/LP2_BootDir
   ## Get Wine SFS
   #. $LP2BPL/lped

# Do it like it's done below
   #---------------------------
   # Get Boot Directory and $LPED definition File (LazY Puppy, L.A.S.S.I.E.)
   if [ -f /usr/sbin/ceelab/tools/get_lped ]; then
      [ ! -f /tmp/my_lped ] && /usr/sbin/ceelab/tools/get_lped
      read LPED < /tmp/my_lped
      [ ! -f "$LPED" ] && /usr/sbin/ceelab/tools/get_lped
      . /usr/sbin/ceelab/lp2_sys_data/LP2_BootDir
      . "$LPED"
      else
      echo "Note: File '/usr/sbin/ceelab/tools/get_lped' not found"
      echo "Could not examine System Boot Directory"
      echo "Also could not examine external Configurations File (e.g.: lped.cfg)."
      echo "Hopefully, it's not needed for this OS/Script/Application..."
   fi
   # Now ready to use all external Scripts, RoxApps, Directories and Files
   #---------------------------

# Override LazY Puppy boot directory to load SFS files
   if [ "$mylocallp2bdl" = "" ]; then
      myoverridelp2bdl="false"
   fi
   if [ "$myoverridelp2bdl" = "true" ]; then
      LP2BDL=$LP2BPL/$mylocallp2bdl
      echo "$LP2BDL" > /tmp/redirected_lp2bdl # redirected LazY Puppy Bootdirectory
      if [ ! -d $LP2BDL ]; then
         /usr/sbin/ceelab/tools/mnt_my_bootdrive #&
         #sleep 2
      fi
   fi

[ "$mywinesfs" = "" ] && mywinesfs="LP2_WineCorelSuite.sfs"
   FileLoopMnt() { mount |grep loop* |sed 's# .*$##' | while read N
      do losetup-FULL $N |grep $mywinesfs |sed 's#^.* .##;s#.$##' ;done ; }
   fm=$(FileLoopMnt)

bfm=`basename $fm`
   if [ "$bfm" = "" ]; then
      lazy_sfs_load --cli --skip-fixmenus --quiet $LP2BDL/$mywinesfs
      refresh-menu-pipes-after-sfs-action
   fi

wine "$SUBMITTEDEXE"

fi

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) Laughing

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! Wink
Galbi

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan 2017, 13:46    Post subject:  

Maybe this is a silly question, but... Is it possible to use the uuid of a drive/partition in scripts?
I mean, to make the path to certain partition, absolute.
Using the blkid command (https://linux.die.net/man/8/blkid) like in Grub.

Just wondering, sorry if is too nonsense.

Saludos.

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan 2017, 14:24    Post subject:  

Hey, Galbi.

Quote:
Maybe this is a silly question, but... Is it possible to use the uuid of a drive/partition in scripts?
I mean, to make the path to certain partition, absolute.
Using the blkid command (https://linux.die.net/man/8/blkid) like in Grub.

Nah, not a silly question at all, mate.

rcrsn51 has performed that very operation at the end of his Samba-TNG auto-start script...

Code:
#!/bin/sh

#Wait until the network is active
WAIT=20
while [ "$WAIT" -gt 0 ]; do
  NETWORK=$(route -n | awk '/^[0-9]/ && ($1 !~ /^0.0/) && ($1 !~ /^127.0/) && ($1 !~ /^169.254/) {print $1}')
  [ "$NETWORK" ] && break
  sleep 1
  ((WAIT--))
done

if [ -z "$NETWORK" ]; then
  Xdialog --title " " --msgbox "No network detected!" 0 0
  exit 1
fi

#Mount any shared drives here, like:
mount -U d02d3eb7-4f23-4608-af43-85b7bf7a86bf /mnt/sda1
mount -U a003a133-8dbf-4082-b831-b779b6ffb9ad /mnt/sda10
mount -U 61885f69-428c-4bf1-bf7a-adf8c1432a76 /mnt/sdg1
mount -U cde0f99c-d39d-43b8-9be9-28073cf4f7d8 /mnt/sdg2

#Start the Samba-TNG server
samba-start
Xdialog --title " " --infobox "Samba-TNG started" 0 0 2000

I use this in Precise 571 for auto-mounting at boot-time, 'cos the version of pMount in 571 is quite old, and you can't specify auto-mounting with it like you can in the 6-series Pups (and Slacko 570, in fact.)

The -U parameter tells 'mount' to use the UUIID that you give it, which you find with the blkid command.

Mike. Wink

kiramm

Location: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=988393#988393

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan 2017, 23:40    Post subject:  

like lick windows installer for pupps

would be world linux premiere

to make different puppy wine pets sfs installer for different goldwine level

windows programs like windows microsoft office 2003 or office 2007 +maybe other actually few windows wine min goldies ....

one needs for co teamworking with other normal students people Wink

also some even 10 years old gold level windows programs are still
much bbbetter for specific much important functions than coresspondig linux programs

bbbut i also know that some linux are bbeter than windows therefore i am still here:)

put bbbest together for bbbest linux puppy for ever ever

pleaseeeeee

listen to a voice of normal user

i feel like : --->

(The Mission of John the Baptist
…22So they said to him, “Who are you? We need an answer for those who sent us. What do you say about yourself?” 23John replied in the words of Isaiah the prophet:
)

---->“I am a voice of one calling in the wilderness,

( ‘Make straight the way for the Lord.’” 24Then the Pharisees who had been sent…
Berean Study Bible · Download
the voice in the desert nobody hearing -3.jpeg
 Description   
 Filesize   42.82 KB
 Viewed   399 Time(s)

the voice in the desert nobody hearing -3.jpeg

Sailor Enceladus

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jan 2017, 13:50    Post subject:  

nic007 wrote:
My SFS with all windows programs expands to / so always the same directory for the scripts. But as you say, the programmes could be all over the show one just needs to specify the correct paths in ones scripts for the exe's.

Same here. I installed and setup Dev C++ 4.9.9.2 and Wolf4SDL then just squashed /root/.wine into a 20MB sfs so I can load it all up pre-ready whenever I want. Was going to try Code::Blocks too in Wine to see how well it works, thanks for reminding me.
kiramm

Location: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=988393#988393

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jan 2017, 21:01    Post subject:  

the geekers write for ubutu mint? :

http://www.howtogeek.com/171565/how-to-install-microsoft-office-on-linux/

:

how to geek they say :
----------------------------------
Installing Microsoft Office With Wine

We tested Office 2007 with this process, as Office 2013 is known not to work properly and Office 2010 doesn’t appear to be well supported. If you want to use an older version of Office, like Office 2003, you’ll likely find that it works even better. If you want to install Office 2010, you may need to perform some more tweaks — check the Wine AppDB page for the version of Office you want to install for more information.

We didn’t run into any problems while installing Office 2007
------------------------------------

inpuppy seems impossible nobody can mnage or have tried this essential program to run?

the microsoft office taste is also heavy missing in all endles numerous puppies for all tastes as is said for that?Wink

not possible to cook spice up ap puppy with this ?

like geniuos mike welsh made greate tastfull puppy wine super taste menue long
recepeit for phortoshop Smile)
big thank!

i think many are hungry for such mikes welsh wine tastefull puppy receecepeit pet sfs for microsofft office
which geekers claim to be to realise with no problems

maybe hopefully inspiration and fun chalange for puppy heroes geeks Smile
i adore and have big respect of them !
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jan 2017, 06:02    Post subject:  

Hi, kiramm.

If you want Office to run under WINE, then you can't run the new versions. It will have to be an older version.....like 2010, 2007, 2003, or even (*gulp*) 2000. This is the one I use, BUT: I have this on disc.

You will not get this as a download, no way. I know. I've tried over the years, trust me..!

Mine is the Office 2000 Small Business suite, which came as a 2-disc set. I've used the 'custom' install option, and only installed those components I want; primarily Word. I wanted Publisher, too, but it refuses to run.

You will have to find this as a disc, somewhere. And before you ask, no! I am not going to remaster a Puppy to include WINE plus a shedload of expensive Adobe and Microsoft stuff.

THAT I draw the line at, mate. There are limits.....!! And anyway, even if it runs on MY hardware, that's no guarantee it'll run on yours.....

Mike. Wink

Page 1 of 3 [40 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: