XenialDog 64bit (Ubuntu 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 64-bit)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
wiak

#391 Post by wiak »

You might need to look into this Fred in case someone gets system with one of these NVME drives:

http://bkhome.org/news/201804/nvme-supp ... uirky.html

wiak

fredx181

#392 Post by fredx181 »

wiak wrote:You might need to look into this Fred in case someone gets system with one of these NVME drives:

http://bkhome.org/news/201804/nvme-supp ... uirky.html

wiak
Thanks wiak, it looks like nvme is already built in the Ubuntu kernel, but I can't test if it actually works.
So need to wait for a report from someone using NVME drive ...

Fred

wiak

#393 Post by wiak »

You might be interested in my attempt to convert your gifenc-yad bash/yad script to gifenc-iup.lua IUP/Lua script - just as a practice exemplar. I didn't have time to complete it today but the main GUI is basically done. You can see the code and results here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 551#988551

Note, the version I am 'copying' currently is the one before your recent gifenc-yad upgrade, which I only just noticed... I have the older one on my system., but of course I could add a video file open button too, though first I just want to get the basic one working!

wiak

wiak

gifenc-iup.lua translation of early version of gifenc-yad

#394 Post by wiak »

Please find a working translation of an early version of fredx181's gifenc-yad into IUP/Lua as an exemplar for developers here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 818#988818

wiak

wiak

gifenc-iup.lua with video file-chooser etc

#395 Post by wiak »

Hope you don't mind Fred:

Turns out I couldn't resist make a gifenc-sel iuplua translation because I feel that that yad-like structure is a particularly simple but useful pattern for others to copy, for iuplua code too, for other simple GUI frontend utility apps.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 877#988877

Next I'm going to show the iuplua pattern to produce same kind of bash/gtkdialog-created GUI dialog as I use in makepup, since that is another common and very useful dialog pattern. I won't be making a complete makepup copy though (just showing the dialog skeleton), since lots of sed commands in makepup and were I wanting a proper functional translation in iuplua I'd prefer anyway to use regular expression swaps directly in Lua itself (rather than external os.execute calls to sed).

wiak

fredx181

#396 Post by fredx181 »

See here for how to set system-shell to dash on Xenialdog (32 and 64 bit):
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 553#999553

Fred

quantumbox

RemasterDog After Upgrading BionicDog

#397 Post by quantumbox »

I start fresh bionicdog with new save folder then upgrade with apt update, on synaptic check all upgrade and install, then RemasterDog. I use this squashfs file for another save folder on another machine, delete old squashfs, but it seems not upgraded. Whats wrong with my configuration.

fredx181

Re: RemasterDog After Upgrading BionicDog

#398 Post by fredx181 »

quantumbox wrote:I start fresh bionicdog with new save folder then upgrade with apt update, on synaptic check all upgrade and install, then RemasterDog. I use this squashfs file for another save folder on another machine, delete old squashfs, but it seems not upgraded. Whats wrong with my configuration.
It could be that the save folder on the other machine contains old information/configuration from the package manager (dpkg).
So, in that situation, the upgrades are in the new squashfs, but dpkg "thinks" they are not.
The solution (recommended) is then to delete the changes (start fresh on the other machine) and you'll probably see that the upgrades are done.
(or if you really want to keep the old save for some reason, delete the 'var' folder inside, that's where dpkg stores the configuration, although I wouldn't recommend, things can become messy)
I just tested making remaster with Remasterdog (and deleted save folder) and the upgrades are included.

This is about Bionicdog, right ? (I ask because you posted in Xenialdog thread)

Fred

quantumbox

Re: RemasterDog After Upgrading BionicDog

#399 Post by quantumbox »

fredx181 wrote:
quantumbox wrote:I start fresh bionicdog with new save folder then upgrade with apt update, on synaptic check all upgrade and install, then RemasterDog. I use this squashfs file for another save folder on another machine, delete old squashfs, but it seems not upgraded. Whats wrong with my configuration.
It could be that the save folder on the other machine contains old information/configuration from the package manager (dpkg).
So, in that situation, the upgrades are in the new squashfs, but dpkg "thinks" they are not.
The solution (recommended) is then to delete the changes (start fresh on the other machine) and you'll probably see that the upgrades are done.
(or if you really want to keep the old save for some reason, delete the 'var' folder inside, that's where dpkg stores the configuration, although I wouldn't recommend, things can become messy)
I just tested making remaster with Remasterdog (and deleted save folder) and the upgrades are included.

This is about Bionicdog, right ? (I ask because you posted in Xenialdog thread)

Fred
Yes, this is bionicdog, and I agree that my save folder contain old configuration. Are there any solution to scan installed modules or apps to match apt installed list?

fredx181

#400 Post by fredx181 »

quantumbox wrote:Are there any solution to scan installed modules or apps to match apt installed list?
Maybe you can explain better what you want to accomplish and I'll try to answer, but in general I'd say:
After remaster, start with fresh save !

Fred

quantumbox

#401 Post by quantumbox »

fredx181 wrote:
quantumbox wrote:Are there any solution to scan installed modules or apps to match apt installed list?
Maybe you can explain better what you want to accomplish and I'll try to answer, but in general I'd say:
After remaster, start with fresh save !

Fred
On puppy linux when updating system, i just copy all new sfs files, vmlinuz and initrd, remining old save folder. When first boot, system detect an update and clean old save files and configuration, but keep custom old installed apps and configuration. I wonder if BionicDog can do something like this

fredx181

#402 Post by fredx181 »

quantumbox wrote:On puppy linux when updating system, i just copy all new sfs files, vmlinuz and initrd, remining old save folder. When first boot, system detect an update and clean old save files and configuration, but keep custom old installed apps and configuration. I wonder if BionicDog can do something like this
Ah, yes, I think I see what you mean, I once did update a Puppy(new ISO release) and the old savefile got converted accordingly, worked very well.
No, such thing is not possible with the 'Dog' distro's.

Fred

quantumbox

#403 Post by quantumbox »

fredx181 wrote:Ah, yes, I think I see what you mean, I once did update a Puppy(new ISO release) and the old savefile got converted accordingly, worked very well.
No, such thing is not possible with the 'Dog' distro's.

Fred
For now I'm happy with save folder and upgrade all packages, maybe save folder is quicker than compressed file. I'm not sure how frugal install realy works, is it checking save folder first or vice versa

fredx181

#404 Post by fredx181 »

quantumbox wrote:For now I'm happy with save folder and upgrade all packages, maybe save folder is quicker than compressed file. I'm not sure how frugal install realy works, is it checking save folder first or vice versa
The files in the save folder will overwrite any files with same name that exist in any .squashfs modules loaded at boot.
(hopefully this answers your question, I may have misunderstood it)

Fred

fredx181

#405 Post by fredx181 »

From question here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 76#1002376
d_vineet wrote:In Dog, It detected eth0, I could access the net.
Then disconnected the wire, set-up wifi and connected.
Now when again I wish to return to eth0, there is no wizard or tool for eth (SNS rocks in puppy).
It tries to connect to eth but fails.
Hi d_vineet,

From Network tray Icon > Setup networking:
If connected to wireless, then click "Stop Wi-Fi", it should connect to wired connection again.

Fred
Attachments
xendog-20180818182433.jpg
(39.36 KiB) Downloaded 164 times

d_vineet

#406 Post by d_vineet »

I will retry and post about the result.
Thanks.

d_vineet

#407 Post by d_vineet »

Third time reboot to xenialdog64.
This time, neither eth0 nor wlan0 could be set.
Same messages saying 'ip address request failed for eth0'.

(writing this reply by booting back to xenialpup). Internet works ok in puppy.
Last edited by d_vineet on Sun 19 Aug 2018, 08:23, edited 1 time in total.

fredx181

#408 Post by fredx181 »

d_vineet wrote:Third time reboot to xenialdog64.
This time, neither eth0 nor wlan0 could be set.
Same messages saying 'could not acquire ip address'.

(writing this reply by booting back to xenialpup). Internet works ok in puppy.
Sorry to hear, works for me switching between wired and wireless, but don't know what exactly you did.
Third time reboot is with saving changes ?
Maybe start fresh (with clean/empty save) and try again ?

EDIT: Or install frisbee, it uses dhcpcd, which may work better for you.
From Synaptic or with apt-get:

Code: Select all

apt-get update
apt-get install frisbee
Fred

d_vineet

#409 Post by d_vineet »

fredx181 wrote: Sorry to hear, works for me switching between wired and wireless, but don't know what exactly you did.
For disconnecting wifi, I clicked the 'disconnect' button in 'wireless network setup' tool.
It flashed the msg 'wlan0 disabled. Then I connected LAN wire.
it asked me to 'wait while eth0 is being configured'.
But lastly it flashed ''ip address request failed for eth0'.
Third time reboot is with saving changes ?
Maybe start fresh (with clean/empty save) and try again ?
without saving changes. Fresh always.
EDIT: Or install frisbee, it uses dhcpcd, which may work better for you.
From Synaptic or with apt-get:

Code: Select all

apt-get update
apt-get install frisbee
Fred
OK.
Still better, can you pl help me reg how do I install Barry's SNS in xenialDog?
It rocks.
Thanks.

fredx181

#410 Post by fredx181 »

d_vineet wrote:For disconnecting wifi, I clicked the 'disconnect' button in 'wireless network setup' tool.
I'm confused ! Can't see a 'disconnect' button in XenialDog64 wireless setup .
Are we talking about the same OS ?
I use frugal install from XenialDog_64bit-openbox_jwm-2017-01-22-firmware-all.iso (latest)
https://github.com/DebianDog/xenialdog/ ... re-all.iso

Fred