XenialDog 64bit (Ubuntu 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 64-bit)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
backi

#346 Post by backi »

Hi wiak !

Got it .
Glad to hear :)

Regards !

fredx181

#347 Post by fredx181 »

Hi backi, wiak, dancytron, belham

A new thread about zram will be nice, but no need to blank posts IMO.
No worries, It's ok by me here, interesting discussion, btw, thanks !
@backi your english is fine ! :)

Fred

fredx181

#348 Post by fredx181 »

New topic about zram and zswap here (thanks wiak !)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112599

Fred

Ushichan

SUSPEND function not working

#349 Post by Ushichan »

is there a way to suspend as the install of this pet did not work and also holding hown the power button has the option to suspend but does not work on my laptop a hp elitebook 2540p intel i7. Im running a persistent usb install works flawlessly otherwise

I got the pet from
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76894

wiak

Re: SUSPEND function not working

#350 Post by wiak »

Ushichan wrote:is there a way to suspend as the install of this pet did not work and also holding hown the power button has the option to suspend but does not work on my laptop a hp elitebook 2540p intel i7. Im running a persistent usb install works flawlessly otherwise

I got the pet from
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76894
Hi Ushichan,

I doubt that pet is relevant since it is very old from 2012 or so.

I have an older elitebook but have never used suspend or hibernate with it and haven't tried as yet. However, I came across this post, which may or may not help or be relevant:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1574120
Bruno Santos (bsantos) wrote on 2016-04-24: comment #5
Adding HandleLidSwitchDocked=suspend in /etc/systemd/logind.conf solved it in my system, but suspend was flawless before upgrading to 16.04.
Bruno followed that config file change with a reboot.

EDIT: From same thread:
Bob (caltinay) wrote on 2017-06-15: comment #106
I have the same issue on a HP ZBook G3 running Debian with the 4.11 kernel from experimental and after reading comment #103 I tried
rmmod hp_wmi
and this fixed it!
Carlo (carlo-b) wrote on 2017-04-10: #103
Just FYI I posted this https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/4/9/57 yesterday. Still to be reviewed.
Hope it helps.
i.e. See: https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/4/9/57
Permanent fix might thus be found in upgraded kernel.

You may find more useful information via that bugs.launchpad thread link given above.

wiak

fredx181

#351 Post by fredx181 »

For info, the hp-wmi module is already blacklisted by default in Xenialdog.
I can't remember exactly why I did that, something to do with WiFi not working due to rfkill and the blacklisting fixed that, in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf:

Code: Select all

blacklist hp-wmi
EDIT: @Ushichan, backi fixed suspend not working problem with acpitool:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 465#978465

Fred

Ushichan

#352 Post by Ushichan »

could I turn off the blacklisting instead as I dont use wife and never will, only ethernet cables here to avoid radiation for our kids

I tried to open as by finally finding filemnt when searching system files but cannot do as you suggested with only open as text as the closest option to your suggestion

fredx181

#353 Post by fredx181 »

Ushichan wrote:I tried to open as by finally finding filemnt when searching system files but cannot do as you suggested with only open as text as the closest option to your suggestion
Should open automatically with leafpad when clicking on /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf from pcmanfm or rox, for me it does, not for you ?
For other files you may need to associate to leafpad, by "Open with..." and choose leafpad from list

Fred

Ushichan

#354 Post by Ushichan »

Hello Fred
I couldnt get this window or the ability to open with anything but geany so cannot get to the screen window you suggest....very dumb user here :(
fredx181 wrote:@backi, thanks ! strange that suspend doesn't work for you, it works for me with 'pm-suspend'
If you have time can you do in terminal (and what's the message?):

pm-suspend
@Null_ID, indeed what rcrsn51 suggested works , but you can also use filemnt, it just needs association (supports also .2fs, .3fs .4fs, besides iso, squashfs and sfs) just right-click on the pupsave file > open with, and type filemnt as custom command line, see pic below (for pcmanfm)

Fred
fredx181 wrote:
Ushichan wrote:I tried to open as by finally finding filemnt when searching system files but cannot do as you suggested with only open as text as the closest option to your suggestion
Should open automatically with leafpad when clicking on /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf from pcmanfm or rox, for me it does, not for you ?
For other files you may need to associate to leafpad, by "Open with..." and choose leafpad from list

Fred
Yes thank you Fred I was able to do as you said here but still dont know what to do after clicking on blacklist.conf. Still having trouble setting up open with leafpad as it still has geany as the only option

wiak

#355 Post by wiak »

fredx181 wrote:For info, the hp-wmi module is already blacklisted by default in Xenialdog.
I can't remember exactly why I did that, something to do with WiFi not working due to rfkill and the blacklisting fixed that, in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf:

blacklist hp-wmi
EDIT: @Ushichan, backi fixed suspend not working problem with acpitool:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 465#978465

Fred
The only thing is, it seems some would (understandably) like suspend to work on closing the lid, which it is supposed to I think. That's what I was posting about, but admit to never having tried it myself! Basically, I was however curious if anyone tried the method:
Adding HandleLidSwitchDocked=suspend in /etc/systemd/logind.conf
Of course I can try it myself sometime, though really I never care to suspend/hibernate my system

EDIT: well method suggested above didn't work for me on my HP Elitebook 2530p in a quick test. Having said that, my elitebook is a strange old beast which for unknown reason (maybe just BIOS battery - haven't changed it as yet) takes over a minute to even reach grub4dos menu (fine after that) so the suspend idea needs further testing by anyone with more reliable machine I'd say... EDIT2: Hmmm, I'm not sure if it worked or not - discovered I was still logged in the murga forum when lid was opened, but fan seemed to keep running all the time (but then again, I'm not using battery power and have to check if BIOS has fan always on when on mains power.

wiak

fredx181

#356 Post by fredx181 »

Ushichan wrote:I couldnt get this window or the ability to open with anything but geany so cannot get to the screen window you suggest....
Not completely sure if I understand well your problem, anyway see screenshot how to associate from pcmanfm filemanager, e.g. with leafpad (under accessories)

Once you opened the file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf, to un-blacklist, remove the line:

blacklist hp-wmi 
Save the file and reboot.
(I doubt if that will help for your suspend problem, but worth trying anyway)

Fred
Attachments
open_with.png
Open with...
(45.87 KiB) Downloaded 449 times

wiak

#357 Post by wiak »

Am at early stage of writing a simple app to control webcam parameters and for image/video previews was hoping to use:

mpv av://v4l2:/dev/video0

or 

mpv tv://
However, I find there is a lag in the mpv playing webcam video of several seconds (i.e. it can't keep up with movements - as if it is buffering first). I've only tested this with XenialDog64 mpv.

There is no such lag when using the mplayer available in XenialDog64 with "mplayer tv://" command but I'd like possibility of using mpv as alternative to mplayer if desired. Anyone come across an mpv lag fix for the above?

wiak

EDIT: I've tried creating ~/.config/mpv/mpv.conf and playing around with options like cache=nnn and demuxer-readahead-secs=nnn but not having any effect. Might not be doing it right but as I say mplayer works fine - webcam image keeps up with movements with no lags/delay at all.

fredx181

#358 Post by fredx181 »

Hi wiak, maybe try newer mpv, didn't test on XD, but I expect it works:
https://fredx181.github.io/bionicdog/Pa ... _amd64.deb

Fred

wiak

#359 Post by wiak »

fredx181 wrote:Hi wiak, maybe try newer mpv, didn't test on XD, but I expect it works:
https://fredx181.github.io/bionicdog/Pa ... _amd64.deb

Fred
hmmm... well I tried installing that mpv you provided fred by right click install deb action from pcmanfm. However, that revealed there were missing dependencies, which I thought it was then auto-installing... But actually, it was installing a lot of other stuff (including mplayer...) whilst removing gnome-mplayer and mpv amongst some other stuff.

How best to install it? Maybe if I noted some of the apparently missing dependencies and installing them first? Sorry, haven't had time to try more.

wiak

fredx181

#360 Post by fredx181 »

Ah, sorry wiak, I should have tested first.
I changed a few dependency names, made a new package specially for Xenialdog64, added to 64bit repo, so a "apt-get update && apt-get install mpv" should upgrade to v0.27 (tested now :wink: )

Fred

wiak

#361 Post by wiak »

Thanks Fred, that fixed the install mpv issue. However, that newer mpv didn't improve the webcam view lag issue. Also would no longer accept command "mpv tv://", which the previous mpv did (I needed to use: "mpv av://v4l2:/dev/video0 " but still had the big lag viewing problem).

Anway, no big deal, I will just use the original mplayer in XenialDog64 for webcam viewing with "mplayer tv://" command and not worry about mpv not being so good for that. mpv great for anything else I've used it for though.

wiak

fredx181

#362 Post by fredx181 »

wiak wrote:Thanks Fred, that fixed the install mpv issue. However, that newer mpv didn't improve the webcam view lag issue. Also would no longer accept command "mpv tv://", which the previous mpv did (I needed to use: "mpv av://v4l2:/dev/video0 " but still had the big lag viewing problem).
That's a pity.
Another thing: For me after install newer mpv, it has no Menu entry in the Openbox menu (should be in Multimedia, LX menu however shows it), that happens sometimes, don't know why.
A workaround is to remove the obmenu-generator cache:

rm -f ~/.config/obmenu-generator/cache.db
After that, for me "mpv Media Player" shows in Multimedia (a window for to drag and drop multi-media files on).

Fred

wiak

#363 Post by wiak »

I have Signal (open-source end-to-end encrypted Skype alternative) running on my XenialDog 64bit system, as described here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 410#984410

wiak

wiak

#364 Post by wiak »

Recently obtained a google chromecast dongle which I now have plugged in to my old dumb lcd tv. Main interest for me (aside from youtube streaming to it) is streaming of local media files. Discovered that newish google chrome can arrange that without needing any extra extensions but resource usage a bit high. So I installed 'castnow' command line program which works great and uses low resources as described here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 356#985356

EDIT: As added to above link contents, Stream2Chromecast commandline program may be even better (especially since more recently maintained).

Google chromecast seems pretty useful actually (especially since my old computers have no HDMI ports for plugging into the tv directly)

wiak

wiak

#365 Post by wiak »

Hi Fred,

I've been trying to compile the component libraries for Lua IUP graphical toolkit (for example CanvasDraw) to use GTK2 instead of GTK3 but having a lot of issues getting compilation without errors. Tonight I discovered there was a problem with devx on XenialDog64 mucking up some symlinks to some very relevant libs. I have a remastered main 01-filesystem.squashfs so not sure if I've simply (quite possibly...) accidentally added something to that which is not compatible with the devx for XenialDog64.

In particular, once I activate the devx squashfs, I find the following important symlinks are broken (compiling works once I fix these symlinks). They are pointing to the wrong (older) ...so.0.4800.1 rather than ...so.0.4800.2 target on my system:

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgmodule-2.0.so
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgthread-2.0.so
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgobject-2.0.so
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgio-2.0.so
No problem for me now since I will just remaster again with the new symlinks but I thought I'd tell you about this in case this fault is actually in the pristine XenialDog64. I would try it, but my machine is out of space so difficult to change anything at the moment.

If you have time, therefore, could you please check that these symlinks are there and working okay when devx is loaded with pristine XenialDog64 (latest release). Otherwise others will also run into major issues trying to compile heavy gtk-dev-using applications. As I said, it (hopefully) might just be my remastered system causing the issue though.

wiak