XenialDog 64bit (Ubuntu 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 64-bit)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
fredx181

XenialDog 64bit (Ubuntu 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 64-bit)

#1 Post by fredx181 »

XenialDog 64-bit (Ubuntu 16.04 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 64-bit)
(Ubuntu minimal "live")

XenialDog is a fork of "DebianDog" which is a community project once started by forum member saintless.
See also Here for Debiandog history.
DebianDog full credits: Here

Thread Closed, see also here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 625#957625

2016.06.22: Re-opened
I will continue to maintain this version.

There were several requests for a XenialDog64, so here it is now!

====================================
EDIT 2017-01-22: New ISO uploaded, see also here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 485#940485
Download links below updated to 2017-01-22 version
====================================

See for planned fixes and changes on next iso release in second post.

Very similar to DebianDog, but with the difference that it's Ubuntu based

Full access to Ubuntu repositories by using apt-get (from terminal) or from Synaptic Package Manager (GUI)

Openbox is the main window-manager, the GUI setup is very much like DebianDog64

Differences compared to DebianDog:
- Different applications, some are not present and some others added.
- Choices of window-manager are: Openbox and Jwm , see for specifications below.

Login details:
root with password root (default automatic login)
puppy with password puppy

Specifications:
Built from an absolute minimal Ubuntu full install (using mini.iso).
Kernel: 4.4.0-59-generic
Choice of Boot Methods: porteus-boot and casper-boot ,see options at the XenialDog Wiki
Default WM - OpenBox (and option for Jwm, see below)
(with different choice of Desktop modes: tint2 icon-panel, cairo-dock or rox-pinboard icons, to choose, run 'Desktop Manager' from Menu)
(replaced wbar (from previous (32-bit) version) with a minimal cairo-dock
Panel: Tint2 bottom panel or cairo-dock.
Default File Manager - pcmanfm with option to use rox.
Default Internet Browser - Firefox.
Menu provided by Obmenu-generator (perl script)

Added: Quick-remaster (thanks to rufwoof for the concept) and Upgrade-kernel tools

Edit: Conky display of RAM usage is according to 'free', not to Htop as it was on previous (32bit) version

Option to switch to JWM (Menu > System > Start Jwm)

Full LZ4 squashfs support (compression and loading modules)

The Iso size became quite big mainly because:
- Big size of Ubuntu kernel 4.4.0-59-generic (in /lib/modules)
- Package 'linux-firmware' installed (has most firmware)
- Python and Perl installed

Download: Edit: updated to version 2017-01-22
Iso: XenialDog_64bit-openbox_jwm-2017-01-22-firmware-all.iso Size: 310MB
Md5sum: XenialDog_64bit-openbox_jwm-2017-01-22-firmware-all.md5

DEVX: 61-DEVX-XenialDog64-2017-01-18.squashfs
Locales: 99-locales-XenialDog64-2017-01-18.squashfs

XenialDog custom packages repository: Here

Special thanks to Toni (saintless), William (mcewanw), Terry (sunburnt), The Flying Cat and all who helped by giving feedback on the DebianDog and Mintpup threads.

Fred

Screenshot:

Openbox with cairo-dock:
Last edited by fredx181 on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 18:46, edited 13 times in total.

fredx181

#2 Post by fredx181 »

*** Changes and fixes from 2017-01-22 on ***

1.) Bug fix and changed GUI in "Desktop Manager" (desktop mode switcher (Openbox)
In case a pcmanfm window opened, switching to another desktop mode could lead to problems (e.g. overlapping modes), To fix, install from terminal :

Code: Select all

apt-get update
apt-get install xd-desktop-manager
Or install via Synaptic, or install this .deb
https://debiandog.github.io/xenialdog/P ... .0_all.deb
2.) There were reports from mikeslr and zagreb999 about included wifimanager 'wifibox' not connecting (specially when WEP is used)
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 076#941076
When having similar problems, install frisbee:

apt-get install frisbee
Or install from frisbee .deb here:
https://debiandog.github.io/xenialdog/P ... _amd64.deb
(or install any other network-manager, e.g. 'wicd-gtk' )
3.) Bug fix for RemasterDog (script to remaster) (copy progress bar didn't show).
To fix, install remaster-scripts version 1.0.2:

apt-get update
apt-get install remaster-scripts   # will install version 1.0.2 
4.) Bugfix for when using encrypted savefile:
If XenialDog64 is frugally installed and using "porteus-boot":
https://github.com/DebianDog/xenialdog/ ... rteus-boot
Replace initrd1.xz in the "casper" folder with the one from Here and encrypted savefile should work.
5.) Added to quick-remaster option to create ISO, see more here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 454#954454
6.) Fix for xenialdoginstall script, see backi's post here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 687#954687
And reply here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 700#954700
7.) Fix for conky display of external IP, see here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 953#955953
(Attachment: xenialdog-conky-fix.tar.gz)

*** Tips and Tricks ***

- For those having the problem booting to a blank screen, see rufwoof's posts Here and Here (also about using TV-monitor)
Last edited by fredx181 on Mon 29 May 2017, 16:37, edited 12 times in total.

belham2

#3 Post by belham2 »

Wow, you are getting to be a 'master' of these debian dogs. Will download tonight and get it set up tomorrow.......I must admit I'm kind of hesitant, though. I do not want to like it more than my DD32 :wink: Thanks, Fred! Everyone should try these DDs of yours, both 32 & 64..

[Correction: just your comment below, Fred, then re-read the description closely..It's Ubuntu-mini, and here I was thinking it was DD64. Sorry about that. Will still give it a try]
Last edited by belham2 on Wed 18 Jan 2017, 22:24, edited 1 time in total.

TeX Dog

#4 Post by TeX Dog »

like the design, my eye are still messed with SlacQ odd orange/peach .. need a change.
Does multisession to DVD work in this WolfQ was fixed so I heard, did you built it with it?

fredx181

#5 Post by fredx181 »

TeX Dog wrote:Does multisession to DVD work in this WolfQ was fixed so I heard, did you built it with it?
No idea what you mean with 'WolfQ', but no, sorry. multisession to DVD is not supported.

This is not a puppy, (not woof built, if you mean that) it's pure (mini) Ubuntu in fact, with some stuff added.

Fred

fredx181

#6 Post by fredx181 »

belham2 wrote:Will download tonight and get it set up tomorrow.......I must admit I'm kind of hesitant, though. I do not want to like it more than my DD32 Wink Thanks, Fred! Everyone should try these DDs of yours, both 32 & 64..
Thanks Belham and you're welcome!
It's very different from DD32, no xfce desktop, very similar to the earlier 32-bit Xenialdog (Openbox, tint2 and choice to use cairo-dock)

Fred

fredx181

#7 Post by fredx181 »

Whoops..

Forgot to include the very important utility 'create savefile'
Will re-upload ISO within half an hour.

Edit: Done, re-uploaded , please download again, sorry :oops:
Edit 2017-01-22 : Download links updated to newer version 2017-01-22
Iso: XenialDog_64bit-openbox_jwm-2017-01-22-firmware-all.iso Size: 310MB
Md5sum: XenialDog_64bit-openbox_jwm-2017-01-22-firmware-all.md5

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Sun 22 Jan 2017, 22:22, edited 2 times in total.

belham2

#8 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:Whoops..

Forgot to include the very important utility 'create savefile'
Will re-upload ISO within half an hour.

Fred

Are you kidding?! I stayed up (it's nearing 1:00am) just to play with this, have been setting things up inside it for the past hour, and now you're telling me there's no way to save all my work/settings on exit (I booted Porteus Save)? Fred, Fred, FRED..FREDDDDIE MERCURY!!!!!!!!! :cry:

Lol, oh well, serves me right for staying up so late. I should have just went to bed. Below is the pic I took. It booted well (I did porteus save on exit). Of the few things I did get to try, when I took this pic, I must note that in right-clicking to "Open With..." and choose 'mtpaint', the dialog box brought back after clicking "Open With..." was blank, and said that no programs at all are installed in the OS. What?? Thus I couldn't choose anything and had to open mtpaint by its own icon, then head to the pic in ~root.

Anyway, will kiss this setup that I worked soooooooooo hard on, just kiss it all goodbye and try again tomorrow evening with the new ISO download. No worries, Fred, we all make mistakes.....but forgetting the doggone SAVEFILE utility...lol.....you're killing me here :lol: :lol:
Attachments
xendog-2.jpg
(98.26 KiB) Downloaded 9115 times

belham2

#9 Post by belham2 »

P.S.

Fred, it (the porteus boot save on exit) sure acted like it saved to the external USB hard drive? Did it? It looked like 20MB got saved, which is about right. Too bleary-eyed right now, will fire it all back up tomorrow and check. Am hoping that since I used porteus boot save on exit that it is separate from the savefile utility :wink:

fredx181

#10 Post by fredx181 »

belham wrote:but forgetting the doggone SAVEFILE utility...lol.....you're killing me here Laughing Laughing
:oops: :oops: :oops: :)
My apologies , the only (yes, very, very weak :) ) excuse I have is that I never use save file (always folder or remaster).

Re-uploaded ISO, see edit in my previous post.

Have fun!

Edit:
belham2 wrote:Fred, it (the porteus boot save on exit) sure acted like it saved to the external USB hard drive? Did it? It looked like 20MB got saved, which is about right. Too bleary-eyed right now, will fire it all back up tomorrow and check. Am hoping that since I used porteus boot save on exit that it is separate from the savefile utility Wink
Maybe you used save to folder, no save-file creation utility is required for that to work well.
I must note that in right-clicking to "Open With..." and choose 'mtpaint', the dialog box brought back after clicking "Open With..." was blank, and said that no programs at all are installed in the OS. What?? Thus I couldn't choose anything and had to open mtpaint by its own icon, then head to the pic in ~root.
Yes I noticed that (nothing to choose from applications) , don't know yet how to solve that, you can type a command though to open with (and set as default) from the tab 'Custom command line'

Edit2:
Ah, well the fix is very simple, move lxde-applications.menu to /etc/xdg/menus (for some experiment I took it out and placed in /etc/xdg), so from terminal:

mv /etc/xdg/lxde-applications.menu /etc/xdg/menus/lxde-applications.menu
So another mistake of mine can be added to the list, hope it doesn't grow more :? :wink:
I added 'Beta' to the first post subject, because I think there should be done some more testing.

Fred

mcewanw

Re: XenialDog 64-bit Beta (Ubuntu 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 64-bit)

#11 Post by mcewanw »

fredx181 wrote: There were several requests for a XenialDog64, so here it is now!

Beta version for now, please test.
In time I'll make *final* release.
And that includes me, Fred! (I'm just popping in cos saw your long-awaited XenialDog 64bit release announcement. I like Ubuntu-system because I find that many apps my family use are more readily immediately available in binaries for Ubuntu systems than for other Linux's.

Some AV apps prefer expect pulse-audio, so I prefer to include that (and I tend to find apulse solutions problematic/unstable). So would be good if you could add a quick note to remind me the best way to add pulseaudio so it is there on boot.

Glad you are keeping up the good work and have a number of new users keeping an active interest in the project(s).

Belated Happy New Year by the way!

William
github mcewanw

zagreb999

pulseaudio

#12 Post by zagreb999 »

mcewanw regards,

if you wish pulseaudio,
do this

install kde-baseapps, after that
pulseaudio

in terminal
pulseaudio --start

on my computer hp pavilion 8 gb ram
this version of xenialdog 64

can not work properly
quick remaster... shutdown, reboot

zagreb999

pulseaudio activated in euclid.iso

#13 Post by zagreb999 »

fredx181

#14 Post by fredx181 »

Hey William, good to see you!

XenialDog64 probably needs some more polishing, feedback appreciated!
Some AV apps prefer expect pulse-audio, so I prefer to include that (and I tend to find apulse solutions problematic/unstable). So would be good if you could add a quick note to remind me the best way to add pulseaudio so it is there on boot.
As zagreb wrote, "pulseaudio --start" is the way to go, you can add simple shell script in ~/Startup
(but to install kde-baseapps seems useless to me, it will install a lot of packages not related to pulseaudio )
Another way (autostart for all users):
Install also obsession (it will make *.desktop files work in /etc/xdg/autostart):

apt-get install pulseaudio obsession
(you might want to take a look at the 'suggested packages' e.g. install pavucontrol or more)
Then edit /etc/xdg/autostart/pulseaudio.desktop and change the 'Exec=...' line to:

Exec=pulseaudio --start
Alsamixer using pulse:

alsamixer -D pulse
To make pulseaudio start at boot using a systemd service didn't work for me (tried several possible solutions from the web)

Happy New Year to you also!

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Thu 19 Jan 2017, 13:35, edited 1 time in total.

fredx181

#15 Post by fredx181 »

Hi zagreb,
on my computer hp pavilion 8 gb ram
this version of xenialdog 64

can not work properly
quick remaster... shutdown, reboot
What didn't work then? Details please!

Fred

belham2

#16 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote: What didn't work then? Details please!

Fred
Hi Fred,

Most everything is running good here, except for some minor stuff I've encountered (I've still a lot to test, want to do a remaster and also use some of other sfs scripts).

So far, here are the few that are confusing me, some easily solved, others not so sure:

1) in /root/tint2launchers, when you add Htop (by copying it) from the /usr/share/applications folder, and then restart tint2panel, it appears, but it will not launch from the tint2panel. Yet, weirdly, it launches fine from its menu setting and also from the /usr/share/applications folder. Brings up the question then: should I not be adding things directly to the 'tint2launcher' (going through Rox) and instead be using some menu for it somewhere? I deleted and added other things this way on the tint2panel, and all was fine with them. {EDIT: add "htop" to this list; you can copy & put inside 'tint2launcher', it will run 1st time, but if you "re-start tint2' via desktop right-click, htop will no longer open when clicking on the tintpanel you put it in.]

2) Gparted in /usr/share/applications needs a small tweak to its .desktop file. It currently has: "Exec=gparted-pkexec". Would not work if dragged to desktop and/or placed in tint2launcher. Change it to: "Exec=gparted %f", and Gparted works everywhere.

3) I notice on some menus that either GTK Dialog (or is it YAD dialog??) is not allowing for normal functioning of the app's menu: For example, like dragging columns back and forth by re-sizing them. Open Synaptic, and try to adjust the columns width, you'll see what I mean. This is also is appearing in other apps menus. Is or was this by design? Not a major thing to me, just never remember it happening before in previous XenialDog

4) This last one might be my own stupidity, I don't know: I launched the Cairo minimal dock, but then could not get rid of the tint2panels. How is one supposed to ask or set them not to run? I can't turn off them off "selectively" in Openbox configuration, can I? Also, maybe related, but once Cairo is up and running, and you right-click it to stop it, nothing happens. It just keeps running and doesn't go away from the desktop...and tint2panels start appearing, with both Cairo & tint2 panels locked on the desktop with no ability to remove either.

Lastly, wanted to ask separate questions:

1st) Is there a small firewall script (like in other pups) that we can use? I know UFW, Firewalld, Shorewall, NUFW, and UFW are available, along with iptables, from Synpatic, but they take up a large amount of room. Just downloading UFW alone is a ~25MB download that takes up ~79MB of space. Wanted to check if something is included first, or if you know of something with a small footprint (like Bob's Firewall in the pups)

2nd) I notice in "MENU",---"OTHER", there is an entry for "Clear Changes at Reboot". Not to sound or be stupid or anything, but exactly what does this mean and what does it do? For example, if I've made a bunch of changes, and want to go back to the original settings (as it was the day before), do I just hit this button and it magically happens?? This would be great, especially for those of us that use Porteus boot where it saves on exit. But I've a feeling I am misunderstanding this, and hoping for too much :oops:

P.S. When I booted up today, everything had saved from yesterday...woohooo :D So the save occurred like you said. No reason for me to download the new ISO now...unless you forgot some other major thing (haha, just j/k-ing ya!) :wink:

fredx181

#17 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Belham,

Thanks for the extensive testing!
1) in /root/tint2launchers, when you add Htop (by copying it) from the /usr/share/applications folder, and then restart tint2panel, it appears, but it will not launch from the tint2panel.
Yes, apparently the "Terminal=true" line in a .desktop file doesn't work from tint2 panel, you can fix by changing Exec= line to:

Exec=xterm -e htop
2) Gparted in /usr/share/applications needs a small tweak to its .desktop file. It currently has: "Exec=gparted-pkexec"...
Yes, that is how it is installed by default, from the menu it runs fine though (tweaked to make it work)
For example, like dragging columns back and forth by re-sizing them. Open Synaptic, and try to adjust the columns width, you'll see what I mean......
I guess you mean that it's difficult to adjust the columns width in Synaptic, I think it's a new gtk3 thing, don't like it either.
I don't know: I launched the Cairo minimal dock, but then could not get rid of the tint2panels.....
You ran cairo-dock from the menu or from /usr/share/applications ?

Try "Desktop Manager" at the top of the menu to choose different desktop modes, including cairo-dock.

and you right-click it to stop it, nothing happens
It doesn't show a popup where you can choose to quit ? (as you see on attached screenshot) click the green "V" then.
1st) Is there a small firewall script (like in other pups) that we can use? I know UFW, Firewalld, Shorewall, NUFW, and UFW are available, along with iptables, from Synpatic,....
Don't know, on DebianDog we had Puppy firewall package, not sure if it works on XD64.
2nd) I notice in "MENU",---"OTHER", there is an entry for "Clear Changes at Reboot". Not to sound or be stupid or anything, but exactly what does this mean and what does it do?
It clears all changes, not immediately, at next reboot, just easy way to start fresh.
BTW, Quick-remaster does that also (well there's choice also to make backup of the changes), I can recommend using it (Quick-remaster GUI), when using LZ4 compression it can be done in less than 10 seconds !! :D
So the save occurred like you said. No reason for me to download the new ISO now.
Yes, well, if you plan to always use save to folder only, it's OK.

EDIT:
One more time about memory usage report difference from Htop and free (last time, promised :) :

As Flying Cat explained here (about physical RAM usage):
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 413#933413
When porteus-boot option EXIT: is used (only then), Htop can report excessive RAM usage, (in my opinion misleading BTW), because it counts also "physical RAM usage" e.g. firefox cache, installed programs, all that's added in tmpfs
I configured Conky to use the more 'normal' output from "free -m"

Fred
Attachments
xendog-20170119161955.jpg
cairo-dock quit ?
(3.64 KiB) Downloaded 1055 times

belham2

#18 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:
You ran cairo-dock from the menu or from /usr/share/applications ?

Try "Desktop Manager" at the top of the menu to choose different desktop modes, including cairo-dock.

and
2nd) I notice in "MENU",---"OTHER", there is an entry for "Clear Changes at Reboot". Not to sound or be stupid or anything, but exactly what does this mean and what does it do?
It clears all changes, not immediately, at next reboot, just easy way to start fresh.
BTW, Quick-remaster does that also (well there's choice also to make backup of the changes), I can recommend using it (Quick-remaster GUI), when using LZ4 compression it can be done in less than 10 seconds !! :D
So the save occurred like you said. No reason for me to download the new ISO now.
and

Yes, well, if you plan to always use save to folder only, it's OK.

Fred

Thank you, Fred!

And I told you it was my own stupidity regarding the cairo dock and tint2 panel thing. Do you think I would click the "MENU" and see the nice, big shiney "Desktop Settings" resting at top? Heck NO! I am or was rooting around like a lost pig, lol, deep in Rox launching stuff left and right, and modifying tint2 and (now) even Cairo. You made a realyl nice touch with the Cairo minimal inclusion...makes this OS really, really classy :wink:

Thanks for the .desktop tip on htop. I just changed it a little and instead use "roxterm-e htop", as I've got wild rainbow colours already setup in roxterm. It looks like Disney threw up when I open roxterm now, and I love it! :lol:

Also, I did a quick, dirty remaster just for fun, and it was done in less than 9 mins. 9 minutes!! Unbelievable. It'll sure be hard not to do this a lot now since it is not only so easy (I'd forgotten you made easy too in the earlier DD dogs) but also fast.

Additionally, I hear you on the folder save only thing. More I think, more I am thinking I either better regularly back up those porteus "change" & other folders and such , or I should just go download the new ISO, set it up, create a savefile, and then not worry because backing up will be a breeze with a savefile.

Anyhow, thanks again for this OS! I'll keep testing and see if I find anything else. Where the heck is backi?? Backi?! You out there?? Get in here and test this too 8) Fred, that stable of yours on your github site is growing nicely, and with OSes like this, it is becoming, as I hear British upper-circles say, quite "well-appointed"! :wink:

P.S. Out of religious reasons, I did not read ONE word of that explanation about htop and you know what. Too many bad memories, and I don't want any bad luck, demons and/or dragon-slaying to appear again here (aha)! :lol:

fredx181

#19 Post by fredx181 »

belham2 wrote:it was done in less than 9 mins. 9 minutes!! Unbelievable.
I'm confused!! 9 minutes is long IMO, or maybe you used XZ compression.
For me it's less than 9 seconds (of course when size is about the same as original and using LZ4 compression), maybe you meant 9 seconds ?? :wink:

EDIT: I lied, just counted it and was actually 11 seconds :)

Fred

backi

#20 Post by backi »

Hi belham and fred too !

Here i am !.... still alive and kicking :D

hi belham Voodoo Chile...
just amused observing ( from the background ..as a silent Observer ) your struggle while banning these Digital Demons on your " Magical Mystery Tour Electrique " .

I am little hesitating to put it (the new Xenial ) on a Stick because i just upgraded the old one..
I am using 32 bit version .Just have a 32 bit machine .
O.K will give it a try .....and will report my adventures .

Thanks again to you belham ,fred .....and all these cool people who brought this fascinating project into life and into the public .

Still enjoying very much the friendly atmosphere and good spirit here on Puppy Forum ...... especially here on the Dog Project .

Blessings to all :D

Belham if all your Exorcism wont work ..maybe try the " Banishing Pentagram Ritual " :D :D

http://www.solve-et-coagula.us/ritual/pentagram.php