Audio Studio SFS for Tahr Puppy 32bit

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
LazY Puppy

Re: QJackCtl package (needs to be installed!)

#16 Post by LazY Puppy »

Ramlee wrote:Tested the Audio Studio SFS Module and it seems to be running well. Opened several of the Apps (Rosegarden, Hydrogen) and ran them for a while and they seemed stable and fully functional. I installed the QJackCtl package .pet but it didn't generate a menu entry. Was it supposed to or should I run Jack from the terminal?

Hope your influenza clears up soon LP....take care.
Probably you'll need just to edit the qjackctl***.desktop file in /usr/share/applications. Change Categories=JackAudio to Categories=Audio. Refresh the Menu after editing and storing the file.

Can't sleep atm. as the influenza hurts my whole body. So I'm just surfing a bit the forum, arguing and enjoying the spices of the Tambourine Man. :wink:
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

Rattlehead

#17 Post by Rattlehead »

LazY Puppy wrote:I had qjackctl running up to appr. one hour during development of the RoxApp, but the recordings done were just a few seconds for the testings.
Just to be clear about the problem I stumbled upon, in case the info is useful for someone: my qjack freezing problem was an "all or nothing" kind of thing; when you started qjack either everything worked and life was good, or it froze instantly and the computer started to obviously choke. So it wasn't necessary to make recordings to run into the error.

Also, when before I said "Is it a program notoriously difficult to compile?", I was trying to mean "Is Ardour it a program notoriously difficult to compile?".
Not to boast, but I've also had my small victories in the compiling battlefield. :P The limit of my knowledge is: doing the configure-make-make install thing, try to execute, if a library is missing try to see if it's a matter of name and create the link (for example "lib1.1 is missing", but it works when you find lib1 and create a link to it called lib1.1), and if that doesn't work, I'm at a loss...

LazY Puppy

#18 Post by LazY Puppy »

Re: the Bristol Synthesizers

I had already downloaded earlier the .deb packages of Bristol Synthesizers and created the LP5_Bristol-0.60.11-tahr.sfs.

Just loaded the sfs, and created a little wrapper script for startBristol to start the preferred Synthesizer and let it connect to Jack audio and ALSA MIDI.

Code: Select all

"$BRISTOL" trilogy jack alsa
Seems to be successful all the way.

After the Bristol Synthesizer was active I started Rosegarden, manage the MIDI devices and got Bristol's Synthsizers dx and trilogy connected to my SY22 Synthersizer (I only tested these two so far).

So, yes, this will come with Bristol Synthesizers included plus having its own GUI as well (Just need to refine what I'd done already in 2012).

(Damn, I need to create much more templates) :wink:
Attachments
Screenshot-2017-02-02-20-40-13.jpg
(79.23 KiB) Downloaded 461 times
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

LazY Puppy

#19 Post by LazY Puppy »

After successfully trying the Bristol Synthesizers dx and trilogy one after the other one (1st trilogy, 2nd dx) I was curious about if it would be possible to use multiple of the Bristol Synthesizers in a single setup for Rosegarden.

Wasn't successful so far, as all Synthesizers appear as bristol when to connect to jack. After the 1st one is connected couldn't connect another one, so no connection to the SY22. The first one seems to be blocked then.

Just tried to use copies of bristol, like bristol1, bristol2, bristol3.

By the use of bristol AND bristol1 I was able to get a working connection to both the dx AND the trilogy synthesizer in Rosegarden. So dependent on the MID channel I can play either the dx or the trilogy synthesizer from the SY22 keyboard.

If I can't find a better solution, I will stay with that copies of the Bristol binary.
RSH

Ramlee

Brilliant!

#20 Post by Ramlee »

You are a genius my friend!!

How's your influenza going?

Following your advice above I attempted to correct the 'category' script for QJackCtl which after installation appeared in the Utilities menu. Several times I tried 'Audio', 'Multimedia'. I even tried copying and pasting the category text for modules like Hydrogen and Rosegarden that migrated successfully to the Multimedia menu after setting up the SFS but nothing seemd to make the QJackCtl icon or any other missing icon appear in the Multimedia menu even after a restart...very strange.

Getting the Bristol Synths working is fabulous news. You're a champion.

LazY Puppy

#21 Post by LazY Puppy »

How's your influenza going?
It's getting better - at least a little bit for a few hours a day...

Could you please post the content of the qjackctl desktop file?

I found it's not necessary to have copies of the bristol binary, since it's just the names of bristol in the connect gui of qjackctl that changes.

So all bristol synths just start by the bristol binary, but they appear as bristol, bristol-01, bristol-02 (and so on) in the connect gui of qjackctl. So I just needed to tweak the part of code, that connects the bristol synthesizer to jack.

Meanwhile I'd included this into the RoxApp's GUI, where multiple bristol synthesizers can be chosen to start and all are successfully connected to jack. This means, one could choose up to 16 bristol synthesizers and all will connect to its own MIDI channel. By a template there will be a Rosegarden setup, that is immediately able to record and play 16 different bristol synthesizers.

Limitation atm.: they all use its default sound bank and default sound dependent to the synthesizer. So, still some tweaks to do to let the bristol synthesizers start into specific sound bank and sound.

Bristol has that much options and parameters to use, it seems these tweaks will never come to an end... :shock:

Though, I will delay re-development of Bristol-GUI to a much later date, as it is actually not needed and not of any use to have it added.
RSH

Ramlee

Tahrpup 6.05

#22 Post by Ramlee »

Quick update....out of curiosity I loaded the Audio Studio SFS and the QJackCtl .pet into Tahrpup 6.05 to check compatibility...result...not one application opened from it's menu icon. This may be just a slight glitch requiring some tweaking but I was surprised with the initial outcome.

LazY Puppy

#23 Post by LazY Puppy »

I'm not sure if I understand correctly.

Does it mean, you have menu entries and the programs won't run from these menu entries clicked or isn't there menu entries for the programs?

Explanation: one can have menu entries without menu icons, that's why I'm in doubt to understand correctly.
RSH

Ramlee

#24 Post by Ramlee »

Application icons appeared in various menus but clicking on them did not initiate any of the apps. Not so with all versions from 6.0 to 6.0.3. I'll run it up again though just to be sure.

LazY Puppy

#25 Post by LazY Puppy »

I'm still developing all of this in Tahr 6.0.2. Can't see any reason, why this won't work in Tahr 6.0.5.

Would you please collect all .desktop files from /usr/share/applications-desktop-files/applications from within the Audio Studio SFS plus package them into a .tar.gz archive and send that archive to me by PM?

Need to check them, though I don't have this version of Audio Studio SFS anymore.

Thanks
RSH

DiegoC

#26 Post by DiegoC »

Hi, new here and sorry for the dumb comment (in case) but, any chance to have all the Bristol synths included in this distro already bundled along with the needed dependencies? :)
http://bristol.sourceforge.net/
Asking this as I do have a very old and limited pc with old hardware and not so much ram and I saw puppy linux can run on it but my goal would be to have an extremely light Linux distro just to be able to use the Bristol synths abd..hey..you put everything in this distro but the Bristol :-)
Is that possible or it isn't because there are issues?
And in case (sorry for repeating myself) anyonw knows if there is a very light linux distro with those Bristol synths and the needed dependencies but working on old machines?
Again, sorry I'm not lazy as I would do it on my own but I am really new to the Linux and all those dependencies world is still a mess to me :oops:
Thank in advance if anyone is answering.
Cheers