Battle for Wesnoth - Puppy 5.2.8

Play with your Puppy.
tremal

Battle for Wesnoth - Puppy 5.2.8

#1 Post by tremal »

Hi friends,
I'm looking for "Battle for Wesnoth" for Puppy 5.2.8. I found many links here in the forum, but most of them doesn't work. One of them works and I installed the game, but when I click on the icon, nothing happen.
Can someone help to play this cool game?

ally

#2 Post by ally »

tremal

#3 Post by tremal »

I have downloaded this and installed it, but had the same problem - nothing happen when click on the game icon :)

souleau

#4 Post by souleau »

The person who put Battle for Wesnoth for Puppy on Sourceforge, koulaxizis, also mentiones in this forum that it needs a package called Boost.

You can find his post here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=87790

So perhaps you need to install the Boost pet package first.

tremal

#5 Post by tremal »

This is the message i take when try to install Boost :)

souleau

#6 Post by souleau »

Okay, so this Boost pet is not suitable for Puppy 5.2.8 apparantly.

Let's try something.

First, make a copy of your savefile somewhere. Preferably a folder you can access with another Operating System besides your Puppy 5.2.8.

This is very important.

Now we can just try and find a repository with the deb packages for Boost that are suitable for Lucid (spoiler: it's a lot of them!) and install them. If it still doesn't work, then we can always replace your savefile with the backup you've made to go back to your original state.

I've found one repository with deb packages here:

https://launchpad.net/~gezakovacs/+arch ... /+packages

This is not an official Ubuntu repository, so success is NOT garantueed, but I suppose it's the best we can do for now.

You see a list of 4 results at the bottom of the page which you can access. What we are interested in, is the first one on the list, called boost-defaults - 1.42.0.1~lucid1, and the last one in the list, called boost1.42 - 1.42.03~lucid1.

We're going to have a bit of a problem, because we're going to find quite a number of deb packages to download. What may be a smart move at this point, is to create a seperate folder for them outside your savefile on your harddrive, and then to make this the download folder in your browser temporarily, which, most likely, you can do when you go to your browsers preferences section.

Okay, now let's click on the first entry of the list, boost-defaults - 1.42.0.1~lucid1.
On this page we see two clickable options under the Builds header. Depending on your computers architecture, you'll need to click one or the other. However, since you are running Puppy 5.2.8, which is primarily designed to run on a 32-bit computer, we're going to choose i386.
So click on that.

Now we are on the page where we can start downloading packages. Scroll down and you'll see quite a sizeable list of deb packages.
Download all of these.

(...glances at watch....whistles a tune....)

Done?! Great! Now we get to do exactly the same thing, but with the last one on the 4 item list, called boost1.42 - 1.42.03~lucid1. So click on that, then choose i386, scroll down and download all.

Now, we have should have all the neccessary deb packages to install Boost on Puppy 5.2.8.

You did remember to make a copy of your savefile right?! Because now we're going to install those deb packages.

Before you do that though, remember to change the download folder under the preferences section of your browser back to what it was before.

Okay, let's go to the folder with the deb packages, and install all of them (just click on them, one by one).

That should take you a while.

When you're done installing, perhaps it's a good moment to do a reboot, so you're sure everything you've installed is active and running.

Now let's see if Battle for Wesnoth wants to run.

If yes, then :)

If no, then we need to find out what the executable for Battle for Wesnoth is exactly.
Most of the executables are located in the usr/bin/ folder, so there's a good likelyhood that that is where it's at. It can also be at usr/sbin/.
Most executables have recognisable names. Maybe it's simply called wesnoth, or similar.
If you go to ROX and navigate to usr/bin/ you can scroll and take a look and see if you can make out where its at.
If you believe you've found it, then what you do is right-click in the ROX window, choose -Window- in the ROX menu, then choose -Terminal here-.
This opens the terminal in the usr/bin folder.
Now you type the command ldd, followed by the name of the executable and press enter.
You'll see a list, probably a big one. This is the list of dependencies needed to make Battle for Wesnoth run.
You can see soon enough if all the dependencies are present or not, because the list will mention clearly if any dependency is not installed.

If you find that there are a lot of dependencies that are not installed, that means a lot of work, and there's a possibility that some are hard, or impossible to come by.
If there are only one or two not installed, you may want to see if you can find those somewhere.

But that's for later.

souleau

#7 Post by souleau »

There's a deb package of the gamecore of Battle for Wesnoth here:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/i386 ... 5-1~lucid1

On that same page are links to pages which have all the packages which are dependencies.

Perhaps this approach is more succesfull, because these files are all specifically compiled for your kernel.

But before you install, please do make a copy of your savefile.