USB 3 Drivers for TAHR64?

For drivers and kernel modules.
James186282

USB 3 Drivers for TAHR64?

#1 Post by James186282 »

I tried using a pet file that was probably not intended for my distro. It worked at first now.... Dead

The drive works find in the USB 2 slots.

dmsg notes the controller and all seems to go well with some status messages about it being assigned bus numbers 3 and 4 being a hub and how many ports were found.

Then - not so good. Timeout waiting for setup address command.
Stopped the command ring failed, maybe the host is dead
Abort command ring failed
HC died; cleaning up
Timeout while waiting for setup address command
Abort the command ring, but the xHCI is dead

I also see some udevd errors about it failing to execute /etc/udev/mtp-=probe /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:0b.1/usb1/1-1 1 2': No such file or directory
Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer.
Art is everything else we do.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

I tried using a pet file that was probably not intended for my distro. It worked at first now.... Dead
What pet file?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

James186282

#3 Post by James186282 »

bigpup wrote:
What pet file?
right here.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 7&start=15

I found a website when I looked at the data in the hardinfo program. It seems to have some info on linux drivers but of course doesn't seem to know anything about the chipset I've got SIGH

I tried putting xhci.ko in the correct spot for my kernel and added it to the modules.dep file but modprobe still reports FATAL: Module xhci.ko not found (And I'm in the directory so I know the file is there)
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]

James186282

#4 Post by James186282 »

humm... I tried insmod xhci.ko and it found it but tells me its an Invalid module format. This looks like I need to learn how to make and install a module file. So I'll first try to see if that website has any code thats relevant to my USB 3 card.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]

James186282

#5 Post by James186282 »

Wow that was a waste of time. Its more of a page dedicated to drivers written by others and submitted and of course nothing for the board at all.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]

James186282

#6 Post by James186282 »

I took apart the pet file and made a version that puts the modules in the directory for the current kernel version that I'm using but that didn't seem to make anything change. I think this all worked in the 32 version maybe I'm having a stroke? Anyway if so this is something that probably needs to be added to the distro rather then me screwing things up by me making modules. Plus I can't seem to find source for this but thats probably just cockpit error. If anyone has some words of wisdom it would be greatly appreciated.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]

James186282

#7 Post by James186282 »

I've finally found an explanation for my difficulties getting USB 3 to work with Tahr64. And it seems it has nothing to do with the operating system or the driver. For the amount of time invested in getting this miserable piece of junk working I believe I will adjust it with a hammer before getting one that actually works. Or perhaps this is one of those mail it back to the maker with a detailed complaint and request for them to get stuffed. It seems like more and more I am trying to fix things that never worked in the first place.

"The VIA VL800 controller used has poor support for Linux
It appears you are using Logilink's 4-port USB 3.0 card:
This uses the VIA VL800 USB 3.0 controller. While this controller fully supports the USB 3.0 standard in theory and should work well with the default xhci USB 3.0 driver in Linux, it does not. In fact, there is a well-documented history of the VL800 not working, [working at low speeds](, crashing your kernel, etc.

This is not Ubuntu/Linux's fault, but the manufacturer's (VIA) for making a poorly-supported non-compliant product.
Solution: try a newer kernel, or use a different Logilink USB 3.0 card with the NEC chipset

You have two options:

You can try a newer (beta) Ubuntu kernel, hoping the that workarounds for the VL800 have been added, thus improving support.
But this may cause problems with your other hardware, notably Nvidia/AMD graphics and wireless -- see warnings/general information here
If you want to do this, look at this answer for hints, or Google/search AskUbuntu.com on how to install the newer kernels.

Simply get another card with better Linux support
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]