Auto-updater for PepperFlash...!!

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Mike Walsh

Auto-updater for PepperFlash...!!

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Afternoon, all.

Our Russian colleague, SFS, has been working on the PepperFlash auto-update script, which he first presented in Geoffrey's Flash AutoUpdater thread a few months ago. I've given this new version a try-out, and it works brilliantly. Similar to Geoffrey's version for the NPAPI FlashPlayer, this will download the appropriate Pepper for your architecture.....if it needs updating, of course.

All the user needs to do is to modify the 'path' near the beginning of the script (variables 'pf' and 'pv', lines 4 & 5) to point the script to the correct location for his/her browser(s). If, like me, you run more than one Chromium-based browser, then modify as many copies as needed, so that you have one for each browser!

You can find SFS's script here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 515#936515

Once you've downloaded this, make it executable. (I do this by right-clicking, then 'Properties'; click the top check-box in the Exec column, followed by 'Refresh', and 'OK'.)

This doesn't possess the wonderful GUI of Geoffrey's version; if you want to see what's going on, run it from the terminal. If, however, you want to automate it all the way, then after modifying the 'path', and making it executable, place it in /root/Startup.

If I ever get around to pulling my finger out (!!), I'm going to take a closer, in-depth look at the two versions, and see if I can figure out how to combine the pair of 'em into a PepperFlash version of Geoff's existing Auto-Updater.

For now, however, SFS is 'the man'. Good on you, my son..! Excellent work. And thank you.

Mike. :D :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 14 May 2017, 23:36, edited 4 times in total.

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

Just to confirm, this does work on both 32- and 64-bit Pups.

It'll download the correct version of PepperFlash, by determining your architecture. It downloaded the 'x64' version for Tahr64.....and it's just downloaded the correct, 'ia32' version for 32-bit Tahrpup, having deliberately put an old version there to see what would happen.

As with Geoffrey's NPAPI Auto-Updater, you'll need to go into your PepperFlash folder periodically to clear the old '*****.bak' files that will gradually build up. Apart from that, I can't say just how grateful I am to SFS for coming up with this for us.

You don't really need to have the swish GUI of Geoff's version (very smart though it is..!), since you can at any time use the Adobe 'Flash-Checker' page to see the current version, and what you have installed:-

http://www.adobe.com/uk/software/flash/about/

...or, for our American cousins,

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

I can definitely recommend this. Once again, all credit to SFS for developing this for the community. It does for someone like me, running all Chromium-based browsers, the same as Geoff's version does for the FireFox/PaleMoon/IceWeasel, etc. users.

It's essentially doing for the other Chromium-based browsers what Google's 'new' auto-updater is doing for Linux Chrome itself these days...

Progress! :D Nice one.

Mike. :wink:

charbaby66

Great timing!

#3 Post by charbaby66 »

Thanks!!!

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

@charbaby:-

You're very welcome. Just remember, the real credit goes to sfs.....not me. I've simply tried to explain the best way to use it.

Merry Xmas!!

Mike. :wink: