There's Good News for Linux...and there's Bad News

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
tlchost

There's Good News for Linux...and there's Bad News

#1 Post by tlchost »

Sailor Enceladus

#2 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

I've been reluctant to buy a new laptop for 5 years because of Windows 8/10 and have been buying old used laptops to put Puppy Linux on instead. More cheap $200 x86 laptops should come with Linux or no OS so we're not blowing any money to M$.

tlchost

#3 Post by tlchost »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:I've been reluctant to buy a new laptop for 5 years because of Windows 8/10 and have been buying old used laptops to put Puppy Linux on instead. More cheap $200 x86 laptops should come with Linux or no OS so we're not blowing any money to M$.
Sam's Club had a very short-lived attempt at selling Linux Desktops....they were powerful and low cost....and did not sell well....Linux was an unknown to most retail customers.

Now, many "new" users use Android...on their tablets and phones...so Linux could another puzzle.

nic007

#4 Post by nic007 »

If a distro like Puppy was better known, I'm sure many Windows users would hold on to their older laptops longer (perhaps also as a backup if they are going to buy a new machine anyway). This ignorance is good news for bargain hunters.

Burn_IT

#5 Post by Burn_IT »

Linux's biggest problem is that there are far too many flavours and users will not recognise the existance of other distributions.

I use three diferent versions of Linux with each having several versions depending on which machine I'm using. Puppy, Mepis, and PC Linux OS

I use two versions of Windows on all my machines. 7 and 10

Though I suppose I do have XP and 3.11 hiding somewhere that I could use.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

peterw

Linux on PCs and laptops

#6 Post by peterw »

Some of my thoughts for what they are worth.

It is a slow build up of awareness for Linux and other possible replacements for MS offerings. Most people don't care what OS they have as long as it works and is similar to what they are used to. To break the MS lock in you need huge resources and a focus. Google are doing it with their Chromebooks. They have a product which can be cheap, is very easy to use and always looks the same. My wife has one and now I don't get all those queries about why is this happening, etc. It is great for people who only want to surf the web, occasionally write a letter, etc.

In the UK I have noticed that you can occasionally get a new Windows machine (hardware spec similar to low end Chromebook with 2 GB RAM and 32GB hard drive, etc) for about £100 (123 US dollars). My guess is and from articles I have read that MS are responding to the threat of cheap Linux machines by giving good deals to manufactures on low end machines by reducing their "Tax" knowing they can make it up on their other services. They are fighting to keep Linux at bay for their key market.

Shops are not going to stock Linux machines. They don't make any profit on the Linux OS - it is free. And they are not going to make any profit on Virus software and Office software, etc. I have overheard utter rubbish comments from salespeople selling Windows machines. They only want their commission. People have asked my advice about what to buy and I have told them, "Do not get talked into buying the add on of anti virus soft ware, etc - we can get all this for free.". They have come back having been sold all the stuff after the sales person has told them things like the free anti virus soft ware is not kept up to date, etc

Occasionally, in the UK, I have seen good value Linux laptops and PCs for sale at a supplier called ebuyer who say they are responding to request but my guess is that they are not a great commercial success.

For those who don't want to support MS and want reasonable machines you can always get Chromebook and take out the Chrome and load it with a more regular Linux distro which is what I have done.