Fatdog64-710 Final [4 Dec 2016]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Sage

#541 Post by Sage »

those values have not much to do with an actual, physical temperature
and the rest.
What part of my blurb didn't you understand!
Is there a reader who works in a fab that can enlighten us about where the diode(s) is/are positioned and what SW is intended to process their OP?

step

#542 Post by step »

chiron² wrote:Hello,

Has someone tried to do a MyPaint (1.2) package for FD710? I am stuck with some unresolvable error messages, claiming that a pygtkcompat cannot be found, when it is actually there. Some version conflict within Python maybe? IDK, given up on it, it's not that important.
I can't remember if anyone tried to do a MyPaint package. You can check the official and contributed package repositories with the Gslapt package manager. Start the Fatdog Control Panel, select the System tab, double click the Gslapt icon, press Ctrl+P to edit preferences, select the Source tab and add repositories (mine lists three repos: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/packages/710/ - official, http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/contrib/packages/710/ - default - http://smokey01.com/fd710/packages/ - default), click OK, click the Update icon, finally enter your search term in the Search input field. "mypaint" returns nothing.

You can try and run MyPaint as an AppImage. Download the MyPaint AppImage, set the file executable, click the appimage icon in rox filer to execute it. If it doesn't run open a terminal window in the folder where the appimage file is located, and run the file from the command line. Error messages in the terminal will help you figure out what's wrong.

There's an appimage here: https://transfer.sh/OXbic/MyPaint-1.3.0 ... 4.AppImage
It'll stay there for 3 or 4 more days. The MyPaint github site automatically builds an AppImage of the latest commit, and uploads it to transfer.sh, which has a 14 day retention policy. The latest AppImage url is listed at the end of the Travis build log here: https://travis-ci.org/mypaint/mypaint. The build log changes when the project team commit something new.

I briefly tested the above AppImage. It seemed to work BUT, all toolbar icons were blank, and I couldn't exit the application. I suggest you start it from the command-line. Before I tested I installed the gtk3 package (use Gslapt), and loaded the devx SFS (use the SFS Manager, which is found next to Gslapt in the Fatdog control panel).
Is there a distribution where one could scavenge packages? Or is it more or less 'compile yourself'?
Fatdog packages are stored as slackware TXZ packages, but they aren't taken from slackware, they are all self-compiled. There's a thread for user-contributed packages - follow the "+packages" link in my signature.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

chiron²

#543 Post by chiron² »

Thanks. That AppImage thing seems to be a good idea, I have some AppImages running. Would be good, if there was also a stable version of MyPaint. But I will try and see what happens.

One other issue just popped up. When I start 'Set default Soundcard' from the controlpanel, A large Window opens, telling me about XDialog and it's options. After closing this window, a small Xdialog appears 'Operation cancelled, nothing changed'.

Starting in Terminal gives the following output: (The german in the beginning means that /var/lib .../names can not be opened for reading, because file or directory not found, don't think that's part of the problem, My ThinkPad doesn't have BT)

Code: Select all

# fatdog-default-soundcard.sh
awk: Kommandozeile:1: Fatal: Die Datei »/var/lib/bluetooth/*/names« kann nicht zum Lesen geöffnet werden (Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden)
Xdialog: missing list parameters !
Xdialog v2.3.1 by Thierry Godefroy <xdialog@free.fr> (v1.0 was
written by Alfred at Cyberone Internet <alfred@cyberone.com.au>).
Xdialog home page available at: http://xdialog.dyns.net/

... and so on, XDialog options explained

It doesn't say in which line of code it's missing list parameters.
Probably a pretty easy one for the devs?

EDIT I commented out the line looking for the BT. That error is gone, but otherwise still the same. Tried to run without X, from CLI, the same behavior, without the XDialog error message. But still, immediately after start, 'Operation canceled, nothing changed'

Cheers

Norman

chiron²

#544 Post by chiron² »

So, I tested the MyPaint AppImage, with the same results as step. Somewhat runs, but no icons in the toolbar. Background color is gray, and cannot be changed. In Xenialpup64, the AppImage works, and also displays the adequate icons in the toolbar. Some gdkpixbuf issue yet again? Since XP does not handle my graphics tablet, I will just stick around and meanwhile use the GIMP.

belham2

#545 Post by belham2 »

chiron² wrote:So, I tested the MyPaint AppImage, with the same results as step. Somewhat runs, but no icons in the toolbar. Background color is gray, and cannot be changed. In Xenialpup64, the AppImage works, and also displays the adequate icons in the toolbar. Some gdkpixbuf issue yet again? Since XP does not handle my graphics tablet, I will just stick around and meanwhile use the GIMP.
Hi Chiron Raised to the the Power of Two,

Nothing to add to the conversation here other than to ask you: how did you get that "raised to the power of two" in your name, and furthermore, how did you get the forum signup to accept it?? Did you use a special keycode, character map, and most of all what did you do to get it past the forum signup, where it allows no special characters?? Spill da beans, science-math man!! :wink:

chiron²

#546 Post by chiron² »

belham, don't know. forgot my PW and had a different and no more existent e-mail addi as chiron, created a new login and thought it would be nifty. So I typed the ² [Alt Gr / right ALT key]+[2] On a german Keyboard that is. Goes with the ¹ and ³, too. 4 gives ¼ and 5 ½. Probably doesn't recognize it as a special character. That one would be for one of the admins.

don570

#547 Post by don570 »

chiron wrote:So, I tested the MyPaint AppImage, with the same results as step. Somewhat runs, but no icons in the toolbar. Background color is gray
I tested the MyPaint AppImage as well, and had reasonably good results.
There were no overhead icons, as previously mentioned but
the menus are a good substitute.

As far as a background goes , there is a menu item to set background..

Layer > Set background

What I did was set my favorite background (white)
and save an ORA file to disk as my default file.

Then to open mypaint I use the terminal

./MyPaint-1.3.0-git.1a513bc.glibc2.15-x86_64.AppImage  default.ora
The file opens automatically and i am ready to start.

I can use the clipboard to transfer an image to GIMP.
That I believe is a new feature!

When I tried the same appimage in Xerus 64 bit the icons showed properly!! :lol:

Last edited by don570 on Sat 26 Aug 2017, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.

don570

#548 Post by don570 »

Here's the latest appimage for Mypaint

https://transfer.sh/OXbic/MyPaint-1.3.0 ... 4.AppImage

---------------------------------------------------------------

duckguy

Re: Fatdog64-710 Final [4 Dec 2016]

#549 Post by duckguy »

fatdog wrote:The Fatdog Team (Kirk, James and SFR) with lots of help from step, are happy to announce the final version of Fatdog64 710. ... Enjoy.
Hi, I finally tried this again. I had tried your earlier version without much fanfare. It seems great, loading smooth, but it isn't communicating with my wifi chip.

I have an HP Pavillion G60 with a Pentium Dual-Core T4200 2GHz cpu with 2gb ram.

Also my wifi is enabled with this hardware:

Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8136] (rev 02)

Ethernet controller [0200]: Qualcomm Atheros AR242x / AR542x Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) [168c:001c] (rev 01)

When I scan for networks, I get an error message: "OPERATION NOT POSSIBLE DUE TO RF-KILL"

I am in a dormitory situation, and have no access to hard-wiring an ethernet cable.

Thanks in advance, B'H.
Attachments
2017-08-23_NoConnection0x.jpg
&quot;OPERATION NOT POSSIBLE DUE TO RF-KILL&quot;
B'H.
(53.53 KiB) Downloaded 185 times

step

#550 Post by step »

When I scan for networks, I get an error message: "OPERATION NOT POSSIBLE DUE TO RF-KILL"
That usually means that the *physical* wifi switch is turned off. You need to locate where that switch is in your laptop. Switch it on and restart the network connection (right click the "wireless waves" icon in the tray to select.)
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

duckguy

#551 Post by duckguy »

step wrote: ... usually means that the *physical* wifi switch is turned off ...
So, I have it working "sort of." Now, but not the final version ... .

To digress. I do have a "soft" switch on the top of the console, but it's never worked with any OS. This includes Tahrpup, Slacko, Wary, etc.. It just changes from an encouraging deep blue to an obstreperous scandalizing orange. Which is entertaining, at that. If it did more, it'd be downright inspiring. The color of the funny little button has no bearing on whether or not my WIFI is operational, for some reason. To continue.

After posting here in the forum, I downloaded the "710.b" version from FTP. Burned it. Booted it. Tried to set up networking. Lo and behold. It is working. I set it up with the Network Wizard. I didn't even try the WPA GUI. Now, what do I do?

What I did was to try the "710.b2" version. Downloaded it. Burned it. Booted it. Tried to set up networking. This time - the same error message as the final "710" version. The WIFI will not scan from either the WPA GUI or the Network Wizard. What now?

So, I rebooted the "710.b" disc and I am posting this reply from the Fatdog 710b OS which is working great, albeit it's a crippled beta version. Do you have any idea how I can get the regular "final" OS to recognize my WIFI hardware?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for the promptness. It does not go unappreciated.

PS: My original save file was recognized by all three versions, for what it's worth. B'H.
Attachments
2017-08-24-HP-G60_console_button_001.jpg
Image of HP-G60 laptop WIFI button. B'H.
(22.33 KiB) Downloaded 560 times

chiron²

#552 Post by chiron² »

Little follow-up on the 'fatdog-default-soundcard' problem. I extracted the file from the FD631 initrd. It definitely works in 631. I made it executable and gave it a try. The same thing happened. Obviously some XDialog related error and then 'Operation cancelled - nothing changed'. So the error does not appear to be inside the script, but rather with the installation of XDialog in FD710, I would presume? Or could it be that the script only detects one Soundcard and then exits? Would be strange, though, my (secondary) USB-soundcard does show up in hardinfo and lsusb. Any other (easy) way to configure? I'd like to use my headphone-amp again.

EDIT Never mind. Applied a cheap trick in copying over the .asoundrc from the 631 install, where the headphone amp was my default sound device. Well. It works. Now I need an .asoundrc for streaming audio over S/PDIF, and then I just switch names of the files.

mories

#553 Post by mories »

@duckguy

I had the same problem with an HP G62 (see post on page 3). My solution for 710 final: blacklist hp_wmi module

duckguy

Fatdog64-710 Final [4 Dec 2016]

#554 Post by duckguy »

mories wrote:@duckguy ... same problem with an HP G62 ... My solution for 710 final: blacklist hp_wmi module
Thanks! So I found the files in the /sys/module/ directory. Do I just delete the folder now? Thanks in advance. B'H.
Attachments
2017-08-25_Fatdog-HPWMI_002.jpg
screen shot of Pfind result, showing /sys/module/hp_wmi
(32.85 KiB) Downloaded 167 times

mories

#555 Post by mories »

@duckguy
No, the correct way would be to add the boot option blacklist=hp_wmi
As indicated at http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/fa ... tions.html

Pelo

Fatdog 64 kernel 3,18,7 (Gnumeric Abiword) working to day.

#556 Post by Pelo »

Fatdog 64 kernel 3,18,7 (Gnumeric Abiword) working to day. Really pleased, Xvidcap installed for test. Nothing bad. Everything working (audio recording too)
Seamonkey is enough for me.
VLC 2,1,5
Gnumeric and Abiword for homework, they are more HQ personal tools for remember, not for doing my accounting. The right size and service.
Fotoxx is really a very efficient tool photo editing.
Just some doubt about saving session.. To be verified (only a gnumeric file or test is still here at reboot).

Pelo

That is not bad, really.

#557 Post by Pelo »

Session saved , my setting and files available at reboot.. I will test wireless to-morrow (very important, i just bought a battery to keep mobility, outdoor computing with my laptop in my car, with a dongle)
Of course i have enough Puppies available to get happy, it's being curious i try Fatdog, with a negative souvenir in the past. I was wrong. FatDog is Really easy to use.

I am still to be convinced about 64 bits necessity, because my Medion Akoya 64 bits never had the smallest trouble in running 32 bits apps with our tiny Puppy..

# Frugal installed Puppy

title Puppy tahr 6.0.2 (sdb1/puppybang)
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /puppybang/initrd.gz
kernel /puppybang/vmlinuz psubdir=puppybang pmedia=usbflash pfix=fsck
initrd /puppybang/initrd.gz

title Puppy precise 5.7.3 (sdb1/MATE573)
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /MATE573/initrd.gz
kernel /MATE573/vmlinuz psubdir=MATE573 pmedia=usbflash pfix=fsck
initrd /MATE573/initrd.gz

title Fatdog64 (sdb1/FATDOG)
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /FATDOG/initrd
kernel /FATDOG/vmlinuz psubdir=FATDOG pmedia=usbflash pfix=fsck savefile=direct:device:sda3:/FATDOG/fd64save
initrd /FATDOG/initrd

# Windows

don570

#558 Post by don570 »

I found a partial solution to the icons not showing in mypaint appimage.

I noticed that the perspective icon in newest version will show so I
investigated where the perspective icon is located...
/tmp/.mount_MyPainYJvjkc/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/actions

Most icons in this folder are colored grey ---> However perspective is black.

This is path to the perspective icon...
/tmp/.mount_MyPainYJvjkc/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/actions/mypaint-tool-perspective-symbolic.svg

Here is my method.....
- I ran the mypaint image app

./MyPaint-1.3.0-git.78e083f.glibc2.15-x86_64.AppImage
It mounts (hidden) in /mnt
and made copy of /tmp/. mount files
to /opt/mypaint-1.3/

- then ran in terminal (or just double click)

/opt/mypaint-1.3/AppRun
Now I rename the svg files that are causing the trouble
ie I put the .bak extension on the end so the file won't be read.

Result ---> The file not found icon being used (see image)

This works nicely in layer visibility panel.
Attachments
screenshot-renamed.png
svg file renamed with new extension
(8.52 KiB) Downloaded 916 times
screenshot-icon.png
perspective icon can be seen
(9.81 KiB) Downloaded 911 times

art_

NFS shares

#559 Post by art_ »

Hi,
I'm very new to fatdog or puppy. I can't seems to mount nfs shares on my network. There is no mount.nfs in the sbin folder and my search of this topic or google didn't produce anything.

Could somebody let me know if mounting nfs shares is possible, if so how?

I just installed 710 version on my laptop's hdd.

Thanks,
art

chiron²

#560 Post by chiron² »

NFS is an issue in all puppies so far. You need the nfs-utils that I attached to this post. After converting it to FD710 txz package format and installing this, it usually works, maybe have to tweak some options.

Converting to txz format works straightforward by clicking on it, then FD recognizes old pet format and offers to convert. Then right click on the package and select 'install'. Sorry, got that wrong. Right click on the pet, in the context menu select convert. Left clicking on the pet does nothing.
Attachments
nfs-utils-1.2.5.pet
(151.86 KiB) Downloaded 107 times