Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 25 Sep 2017, 06:00
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Fatdog64-710 Final [4 Dec 2016]
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 33 of 38 [566 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 Next
jotab

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jun 2017, 15:16    Post subject:  

I installed chrome from control panel, but the chrome wont launch, not happens... How can I fix it?

Thanks
FanDog

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jun 2017, 15:58    Post subject:  

@ jotab

Hi, first thing you should try is going to Control Panel -> Updates -> Get Google Chrome.

This should probably work. Otherwise, you may have to update your source repos before trying with Gslapt again. (see if the repos end with 702 (a version of FatDog) and replace it with 710).

Another thing you should try is running from the console, and checking the error output. You may have to install gtk3 for it to work.
step

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jun 2017, 16:58    Post subject:  

FanDog wrote:
hey step, if you may help me one last time.. : -)

I'm trying to install one package from npm (yo), but it complains it has no permission to write to the node folders (pup_ro is obviously mounted Read-Only).

Problem is, apparently it requires the -g flag (global), 'cause when I try to install it locally, to work around this (and it does install), the yo command itself never appears.

So my question is either, how to find the command (can't seem to find, maybe it just doesn't install correctly without the -g or maybe it's a symlink to something named something else? glancing over github didn't help much); OR how to re-mount pup_ro as rw?

Any suggestions?

Normally global packages are installed in /usr/lib/node_modules. Is there such a path in your system? If not, you could try creating it with rox or mkdir and then installing yo with -g. If it's like any other package you should find it under /usr/lib/node_modules/yo.

pup_ro is ro because it's an SFS. can't simply remount an SFS rw. Instead you could tell node and npm to use alternative default paths that are located in a rw filesystem. You can do that by setting environment variables such as NODE_PATH. Read the node/nps documentation, here's a starting point.

step

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jun 2017, 17:05    Post subject:  

@jotab, in addition to what FanDog wrote, see this post.
FanDog

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jun 2017, 21:51    Post subject:  

@step

Cool. but remember that previous problem? I'm afraid it's gonna shadow anything that's already there. So what I'm gonna do is try that and re-link any subdirs.. since it hasn't complained up 'til now, it's probably not updated often. (there seems to be "only" npm there but, it itself has a node_modules subdir which could change more often)

anyways, tomorrow I'll update this post with the results. : -) thx.
eowens2

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jun 2017, 22:17    Post subject:  

@smokey01,

I am still looking for the wpa_gui 'target' icon that is missing from the tray at the bottom of the screen.

smokey01 said:

Quote:

@eowens2, Look in /etc/xdg/Startup

It will work in /root/Startup as well.

In my /etc/xdg/Startup, I have an executable WpaGui file with the contents
Code:
#!/bin/dash
. $BOOTSTATE_PATH
[ "$CONFIGURED_NET" ] && EXIT #Leave if network already configured at boot
sleep 5 #if WpaGui doesn't show in icon tray, more delays needed
exec /usr/sbin/wpa_gui -t

The wpa_gui icon still does not appear with a 'sleep 8'.

'wpa_gui' in the terminal opens the wpa window and places the icon in the tray, but the icon goes away when the process is terminated with the message 'wpa_gui will keep running in the system tray'.

My /root/Startup file has a ghosted 'wire-fence-grid' appearance and will not allow me to type into it.

Right-clicking the tray opens a window, with the option to 'Add Panel Widgets...', but 'Wpa_Gui' is not one of the choices. Should it be?

What am I missing?
smokey01

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jun 2017, 23:27    Post subject:  

@eowens2

There should be a startup script in /etc/xdg/Startup called WpaGui. This starts the wpa_gui each time you boot Fatdog64-710.

If it's not there create the script with this content:
Code:
#!/bin/dash
. $BOOTSTATE_PATH
[ "$CONFIGURED_NET" ] && exit # leave if network already configured at boot
sleep 5 # if WpaGui still doesn't show in icon tray, more delays needed
exec wpa_gui -t

This is a wrapper script that points to the actual binary in /usr/sbin/wpa_gui

Clicking on the wpa_gui binary will run the app and put it in the tray.

It does appear your wrapper script may be missing, if so, just recreate it as I described above.

Cheers

eowens2 wrote:
@smokey01,

I am still looking for the wpa_gui 'target' icon that is missing from the tray at the bottom of the screen.

smokey01 said:

Quote:

@eowens2, Look in /etc/xdg/Startup

It will work in /root/Startup as well.

In my /etc/xdg/Startup, I have an executable WpaGui file with the contents
Code:
#!/bin/dash
. $BOOTSTATE_PATH
[ "$CONFIGURED_NET" ] && EXIT #Leave if network already configured at boot
sleep 5 #if WpaGui doesn't show in icon tray, more delays needed
exec /usr/sbin/wpa_gui -t

The wpa_gui icon still does not appear with a 'sleep 8'.

'wpa_gui' in the terminal opens the wpa window and places the icon in the tray, but the icon goes away when the process is terminated with the message 'wpa_gui will keep running in the system tray'.

My /root/Startup file has a ghosted 'wire-fence-grid' appearance and will not allow me to type into it.

Right-clicking the tray opens a window, with the option to 'Add Panel Widgets...', but 'Wpa_Gui' is not one of the choices. Should it be?

What am I missing?

dr. Dan

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jun 2017, 03:25    Post subject:  

@eowens2:
Just in case, at the terminal, enter
Code:
wpa_gui &
then use ctrl-d to close the terminal. Did that change your result? I have had similar issues here and there, and this set things right until the next restart.
Dan
FanDog

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jun 2017, 13:56    Post subject:  

@ step

my plan didn't work lol but I did discover where the locally installed packages place their bins and, sure enough, my hypothesis of a different name was correct. It did work (calling it manually), for the most part, but proceeded anyway to follow your advice and see if it could be done "properly".

There seems to be a command "config ls" that helped a lot.. then placing a .npmrc in ~ did the trick, and there is even another command to do this auto, config set prefix, which even overrides the previous values of prefix.

It seems I can finally set out to work. Thanks man.
jake29

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jun 2017, 01:17    Post subject: REISUB support  

Is there a Kernel for FD64-710 with REISUB enabled? Recently I've been caught in a few situations where something I have run has caused FD64 to lock-up and have been left with no choice but to hard power-off.

Please correct me if this option already exists, or if there is an alternative Magic SysRq.
SFR

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jun 2017, 05:09    Post subject:  

jake29 wrote:
Is there a Kernel for FD64-710 with REISUB enabled?

Yes, we started to include this feature at some point, but I don't remember if all kernels for 710 have it. You can check this with:
Code:
# zgrep -i 'sysrq' /proc/config.gz
CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ=y
CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ_DEFAULT_ENABLE=0
#

k4.4.35 and later builds have it for sure.
It's disabled by default, though, so you need to add this line to e.g. rc.local to enable it:
Code:
[ -e /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq ] && echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq

Greetings!

jake29

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jun 2017, 10:52    Post subject:  

Thanks SFR, the feature is now working via the rc.local edit with Kernel 4.4.35.
anikin

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jun 2017, 02:39    Post subject:  

@SFR

@jake29

or anyone who cares,

Can you please, post that /proc/config.gz for me? I'd like to check some options (clear some doubts), but unfortunately don't have FD on my machine.

Thank you in advance.
jake29

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jun 2017, 03:46    Post subject:  

@anikin - 4.4.35 Kernel config attached.

@anyone - I'm trying to enable the AMDGPU driver, but it's not working. Xorg log attached. My Graphics Card (Radeon 7770 - Southern Island) is supported but requires some changes.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU#Enable_Southern_Islands_.28SI.29_and_Sea_Islands_.28CIK.29_support

Quote:
When building or compiling a kernel, CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_SI=Y and/or CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_CIK=Y should be be set in the config.

The latter is included in Kernel config.

Also, with the rise of Vulkan - can we see support for vulkan-intel / vulkan-radeon / amdgpu-pro-vulkan in a future version of Fatdog64?
running.config.gz
Description  Remove gz extension to view.
gz

Download 
Filename  running.config.gz 
Filesize  152.19 KB 
Downloaded  12 Time(s) 
Xorg.9.log.gz
Description  Remove gz extension to view.
gz

Download 
Filename  Xorg.9.log.gz 
Filesize  4.58 KB 
Downloaded  13 Time(s) 
eowens2

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jun 2017, 16:36    Post subject:  

Smokey01 said
Quote:
There should be a startup script in /etc/xdg/Startup called WpaGui. This starts the wpa_gui each time you boot Fatdog64-710

The startup script in my /etc/xdg/Startup was as you describe, but for some reason a WpaGui icon did not appear on the tray. I obviously must have clobberd something somewhere!

Anyhow I’ve spent as much time as I can spare looking for it, so I backed up Documents, Downloads etc and re-installed Fatdog64_710. Got my WpaGui icon back!

Thanks for helping me look for it!
Page 33 of 38 [566 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: