Fatdog64-710 Final [4 Dec 2016]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
watchdog

Re: encrypted SaveFile

#361 Post by watchdog »

rasul wrote:
watchdog wrote:
rasul wrote: Only some minor issues ... Seemingly FatDog is a bit different from the other puppies ... for example it seems not to contain the application that mount an encrypted puppy save file (extension 2fs) when double-clicking on the save file ... How can I fix it? which application should I add to fatdog? any binary already available?
I can do it manually using a losetup-old from an old testing version of xenialpup64 which I attach. Delete the fake gz and move losetup-old in /sbin. Then in console:

Code: Select all

losetup -a
and watch a free loop device. Say it can be /dev/loop2. Then in console for a lightencrypted savefile (I have used in the test a lightencrypted slackosave from slacko 5.7):

# losetup-old -E 1 /dev/loop2 /mnt/sda1/slacko57/slackosave_cryptx-s57-bk.2fs
Password: 
#mkdir /mnt/dir
# mount /dev/loop2 /mnt/dir
# ls /mnt/dir
bin  dev  etc  initrd  lib  lost+found  mnt  opt  root  sbin  sys  usr  var
# umount /mnt/dir
# losetup-old -d /dev/loop2
For an heavy encrypted savefile you can use in the example:

losetup-old -e aes /dev/loop2 slackosave_save_crypta-s57-bk.2fs
thanks for the tip and the file, it saved me a lot of effort, wish I could write a script to automate it ...
I have an easy way to automate the mounting of an encrypted savefile in fatdog64-710 using filemnt from slacko64-6.9.6.1 which has in the second line of the script the choice of "losetup" which you are using. I attach it (remove the fake .gz and move it in /usr/sbin)). Using my example:

filemnt.slacko6961 /mnt/sda1/slacko57/slackosave_cryptx-s57-bk.2fs
To unmount it open a new console and run the same command.
Attachments
filemnt.slacko6961.gz
(6.87 KiB) Downloaded 72 times

bpuppy

LS_COLORS and other glitches

#362 Post by bpuppy »

About the directories' color:
Creating a ~/.profile with the export LS_COLORS=..., then rebooting did not change the directories color in the terminal, but strangely enough, adding this line in ~/.shinit did the trick. (Strange because ~/.shinit sources ~/.bashrc at the end.)

About ROX always showing text in bold:
You put your finger on it! The UTC clock is 4 hours past the real time in my locale which is Montreal, Quebec, CA.
This is not the first puppy doing that and maybe it is due to a mix up as CA sometimes means Catalogna (in France) and also Canada. With the daylight time saving setup, it would be reasonnable to have a 4-hr differential. So, the culprit would be the timezone files and unless we use a 3-digit code to designate countries, we won't see a fix soon i think.

Thirdly, notice that partitions sda6 and sda10 are mounted (says conky on the right-hand side) but the drive icons at the bottom remain unchanged. They eventually update if i do a restart X summon.

Finally, i don't know where to change the colors for the top-right calendar.

Sorry if i am long winded :oops:
bpuppy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Using Fatdog-710 (my best), TharPup-605 (second best), Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (for UEFI setup and package trials) and rarely Windows 8 (for some games).
Attachments
bpuppy-desktop.jpg
(194.25 KiB) Downloaded 145 times

Keef

#363 Post by Keef »

Thirdly, notice that partitions sda6 and sda10 are mounted (says conky on the right-hand side) but the drive icons at the bottom remain unchanged. They eventually update if i do a restart X summon.
Same problem for me - although the NTFS partition shows the mounted icon straight off. Just one other ext3 partition which does not show if mounted or not, and same for USB sticks.

One other thing. 'mdsdn' was hogging the cpu so I have disabled it with no ill-effects. Couldn't find any references to this apart from on Android systems.

SFR

#364 Post by SFR »

bpuppy wrote:About ROX always showing text in bold:
You put your finger on it! The UTC clock is 4 hours past the real time in my locale which is Montreal, Quebec, CA.
This is not the first puppy doing that and maybe it is due to a mix up as CA sometimes means Catalogna (in France) and also Canada. With the daylight time saving setup, it would be reasonnable to have a 4-hr differential. So, the culprit would be the timezone files and unless we use a 3-digit code to designate countries, we won't see a fix soon i think.
I set my timezone to "Canada, Eastern" and, according to https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/canada/montreal, it shows the correct time, which is EDT:

# date
Mon Apr 17 13:40:10 EDT 2017
# 
My BIOS clock is set to UTC, btw.
bpuppy wrote:Thirdly, notice that partitions sda6 and sda10 are mounted (says conky on the right-hand side) but the drive icons at the bottom remain unchanged. They eventually update if i do a restart X summon.
Keef wrote:Same problem for me - although the NTFS partition shows the mounted icon straight off. Just one other ext3 partition which does not show if mounted or not, and same for USB sticks.
Anything happens when you execute this (replace sdXY with the problematic parition)?

fatdog-drive-icon-refresh-icon.sh /dev/sdXY
Or this?

fatdog-drive-icon-redraw-icons.sh
If both don't work, my guess is that there's something wrong with refreshing at ROX level, but the only circumstances in which it happens I know of is changing hostname during the current X session...

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

Keef

#365 Post by Keef »

The second option

fatdog-drive-icon-redraw-icons.sh
works for me.

dr. Dan

Re: LS_COLORS and other glitches

#366 Post by dr. Dan »

bpuppy wrote:Finally, i don't know where to change the colors for the top-right calendar.
The settings are in /usr/share/lxqt/themes/"whichever_theme_you_are_using"/lxqt-panel.qss. The section called "Calendar" has various settings, but not font.

Also, the drive icons were working correctly until about two months ago on mine.

Dan

bpuppy

Fatdog64-710 glitches

#367 Post by bpuppy »

@SFR:

drive icons: Same as Keef. NTSF icon updates right away and other partitions work if i run fatdog-drive-icon-redraw-icons.sh after mounting / unmounting.

calendar: I checked lxqt-panel.qss as suggested by Dr.Dan and the /usr/share/themes/.../themerc but cannot pinpoint which variable needs to be changed. But this may have something to do with the following new item.

Openbox Config Manager: Changing the theme from onyx-orange to onyx-blue does not update (in fact, none do update on my system)

Time issue and ROX listing all files in bold: I set my clock to UTC and it is now properly showing in the taskbar time applet but check out how screwed up the messages file is... Note the time included in the shot (i used TAS) and compare with the 'messages' file. BTW my files are still showing all in bold. (this happens even though i do a reboot and touch nothing related to time.)

(EDIT) After another reboot, the taskbar time applet is again 4 hours late :roll:
Attachments
Shot-06-34.png
(41.82 KiB) Downloaded 465 times

step

Re: LS_COLORS and other glitches

#368 Post by step »

bpuppy wrote:About the directories' color:
Creating a ~/.profile with the export LS_COLORS=..., then rebooting did not change the directories color in the terminal, but strangely enough, adding this line in ~/.shinit did the trick. (Strange because ~/.shinit sources ~/.bashrc at the end.)
Can you please try putting LS_COLORS=... in ~/.fatdog/profile, yes, that's profile without the initial dot.

It's actually $FATDOG_STATE_DIR/profile, which is sourced by /etc/profile, which is executed by a login shell.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

SFR

#369 Post by SFR »

RE: Drive icons

It appears that the problem could be somewhere in fatdog-drive-icon-refresh-icon.sh or fatdog-drive-icon-mount-helper.sh.

But first, let's check this:
1. Right-click the icon of mounted partition that lacks the green indicator and choose "App dir sdXY -> Look Inside".
2. Enable displaying of hidden files and you should see .DirIcon file.
3. If that file exists, copy it, changing the name to get rid of the dot (otherwise it won't display in Viewnior) and click it.
Does it look like on the screenshot (see below)?
Have you also changed QT theme (calendar)?
bpuppy wrote:After another reboot, the taskbar time applet is again 4 hours late
bpuppy wrote:Using [...] and rarely Windows 8 (for some games)
Check if BIOS clock is still set to UTC.
When I occasionally boot into Windows, sometimes the BIOS clock gets reset to local time.

But anyway, have you configured the hardware clock to local time (hwclockconf.sh)? This could help, too.
You may also want to enable Control Panel -> System -> Manage Servers and Services -> ntpd-boot <or> ntpd-client to keep the system clock synced.

Greetings!
Attachments
indicator.jpg
(41.28 KiB) Downloaded 443 times
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]

dr. Dan

#370 Post by dr. Dan »

@SFR: I tried your test. First, a mounted drive lacking the green X. The icon in the app dir. showed no green X. I then re-drew the icons, and checked again, and it showed the green X on the desktop and in the app dir.

I appreciate your choice of fonts, by the way!

Dan

SFR

#371 Post by SFR »

dr. Dan wrote:@SFR: I tried your test. First, a mounted drive lacking the green X. The icon in the app dir. showed no green X. I then re-drew the icons, and checked again, and it showed the green X on the desktop and in the app dir.

I appreciate your choice of fonts, by the way!

Dan
Alright, thanks for testing!

And here's a debug version of fatdog-drive-icon-refresh-icon.sh.
Don't replace the original one in /usr/sbin, just unpack it into home dir and invoke from terminal, using the affected partition as an argument, e.g.:

./fatdog-drive-icon-refresh-icon.sh /dev/sdXY
Perhaps this will tell us something (or not)...

Greetings!
Attachments
fatdog-drive-icon-refresh-icon_DBG.sh.tar.gz
MD5: 07710809051a88c49a20589cd9b31727 fatdog-drive-icon-refresh-icon_DBG.sh.tar.gz
(2.08 KiB) Downloaded 57 times

mavrothal

#372 Post by mavrothal »

<2c>
This issue has come up before but I’ll give it another try.
Bootloaders are fairly slow reading large files. Specially from slow media with variable page size as USB thumb drives.
Having an OS in USB stick is more likely because is a transient OS for the road/testing/fixing etc. So boot time (something you may do often in such a setup) may be important
In a 16GB USB3 Etx4 stick that I set up (with grub from linux mint), standard 64bit puppies take ~35sec to get to the desktop, linux Mint64 18.1 (standard install - has a 40MB initrd), 2'15" and FD710, 3'20"!
Moving the fd64.sfs out of the initrd and using the basesfs command line arguments to load it in RAM from the stick, brings desktop appearance down to 55 sec. From those, 35sec are still the 60MB initrd loading (because of the big kernel-modules.sfs in it).
Would be nice if a $kernelsfs was available to be able to move the modules sfs out of the initrd too (assuming the builtin modules can handle setup).
You might also want to consider when installing into a USB removable, the installer to default to a smaller initrd moving SFS(s) out of it (though automatically setting up grub options may be challenging)
</2c>
Apologies if at this time I can only "offer suggestions" :oops:
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

step

#373 Post by step »

@mavrothal,

if you use /usr/sbin/fatdog-split-initrd.sh to split out the base sfs file from the humongous initrd you get a 3 MB initrd, with all modules combined into a new base sfs. So initrd load time should decrease considerably, since initrd decreases 20-fold. I use this method, and loading initrd doesn't see to take much time - I haven't clocked it. As for file size, rox reports: initrd 3563 K, fd64.sfs 441 M.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

mavrothal

#374 Post by mavrothal »

step wrote:@mavrothal,

if you use /usr/sbin/fatdog-split-initrd.sh to split out the base sfs file from the humongous initrd you get a 3 MB initrd, with all modules combined into a new base sfs. So initrd load time should decrease considerably, since initrd decreases 20-fold. I use this method, and loading initrd doesn't see to take much time - I haven't clocked it. As for file size, rox reports: initrd 3563 K, fd64.sfs 441 M.
Thanks, fatdog-split-initrd.sh could be handy, though it should be re-run after kernel change and of course the entire "manual" process is a bit "involved" for my liking.

Talking about kernel, how do you make a package dependent on a specific kernel version? (Brief googling did not yield anything obvious).
I just compiled and installed a driver and thought maybe to upload it, but is for the specific (4.4.35) kernel only.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Illutorium

Manual UEFI Problem of a HDD

#375 Post by Illutorium »

I tried at: "efibootmgr -c -l \EFI\boot\grubx64.efi -L FatDog64 -g" - but that's does at Legacy only' (Now I formatted to a FAT32)
but "/usr/share/refind-bin-0.10.3/refind-install" show that's "VFAT" (FAT16) it's will be depend of a "rEFInd Binary" but FatDog64 show that's FAT32 will be depend for a Newest OS (as Windows 8.1/10) at without "rEFInd Binary" [I searched at "uefi-harddrive" of Documentary Helpdesk at FatDog64]

List of a Manual UEFI FatDog64:

drivers
| {All of a EFI Drivers} [Source: /usr/share/refind-bin-0.10.3/refind/drivers_x64]
EFI
/boot
| grubx64.efi [Source: /usr/share/grub2-efi]
fonts
| {All of a Fonts} [Source: /usr/share/refind-bin-0.10.3/fonts]
keys
| {Keys of a FatDog64} [Source: /usr/share/refind-bin-0.10.3/keys]

grub.cfg
initrd
Shellx64.efi [Source: /usr/share/refind-bin-0.10.3/refind/refind_x64.efi] {Worked of a Detect for a FatDog,but not at show from a Box sides'}
vmlinuz

bpuppy2

A few glitches to keep us busy...

#376 Post by bpuppy2 »

Sorry for taking a long time to reply. I had to create a new account due to a messup in my password.

@step:
LS_COLORS [SOLVED]:
I removed the LS_COLORS... from the ~/.shinit file and created a ~/.fatdog/profile containing only the 'export LS_COLORS=...', saved and rebooted.
It works just fine now and it is persistent. Thank you.

@SFR:
Drive icons: i followed the steps mentioned and the mounted partition's icon is the plain one, w/o the green 'X' box in the left corner. I also tried the script you provided. See attached png. It then showed the icon with the green box but when i dismounted it, the icon did not refresh.

Bold Font everywhere [SOLVED]:
You have a keen eye SFR! You are right, the bold font shows up everywhere. I checked an option i had not used in a very long time:
Fatdog Control Panel > Desktop > GTK Theme Chooser > changed the font in the input field at the bottom of the form and all is well now! Thank you SFR for your insight!

obconf in terminal:
The onyx themes do not update. The others do as far as windows are concerned. The menu colors, taskbar and bold font in the menu never updates and neither does the calendar colors.

Time issue:
I did set all my puppies, ubuntu and windows to UTC time and now it works well in all OSes.
Some entries in the Messages file, still show a 4-hour difference even though they happened within a few minutes. Could syslogd be confused ?
Anyone else has this issue?
Could these wrong timestamps potentially create time critical issues... like crond missing my birthday? :-) ... or maybe i shouldn't worry about these timestamps ;-) )

Calendar:
I have not changed the QT theme (calendar) as i would not even know how or where to look for it. It still has bad weekdays colors.

bpuppy2 (previously bpuppy)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fatdog 710|TahrPup 605|Ubuntu 14.04 LTS|Windows 8
Attachments
fatdog-drive-icon-refresh-icon.png
This is the debug info from running your script on /dev/sda10 while it is actually mounted.
(32.46 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
Shot-obconf.png
Obconf launched from the terminal returns these error messages.
(25.08 KiB) Downloaded 591 times

SFR

#377 Post by SFR »

bpuppy2 wrote:Drive icons: i followed the steps mentioned and the mounted partition's icon is the plain one, w/o the green 'X' box in the left corner. I also tried the script you provided. See attached png. It then showed the icon with the green box but when i dismounted it, the icon did not refresh.
So this script works ok...
Could you please also try the original version of it?

/usr/sbin/fatdog-drive-icon-refresh-icon.sh /dev/sdXY
If the original works, too, the only workaround I can think of at the moment is this:

1. Save this as refresh_icons.patch:

--- /aufs/pup_ro/usr/sbin/fatdog-drive-icon-mount-helper.sh	2016-12-03 15:43:19.000000000 +0100
+++ /usr/sbin/fatdog-drive-icon-mount-helper.sh	2017-04-21 13:37:11.790533638 +0200
@@ -75,6 +75,7 @@
 esac; then
 	EXIT_CODE=$?
 	if [ $EXIT_CODE -eq 0 ]; then
+		fatdog-drive-icon-refresh-icon.sh "$1"	# SFR: force refreshing for all filesystems, not only NTFS
 		if [ $(id -un) != $USER ]; then # change permissions if requester is not root
 			chgrp $ACCESS_GROUP "$2"
 			chmod $ACCESS_MODE "$2"
2. Execute this from within directory where refresh_icons.patch is:

patch /usr/sbin/fatdog-drive-icon-mount-helper.sh -i refresh_icons.patch
Does it solve the problem?
And second thing is that the menu that you can see on preview images in obconf is the one that shows when you right-click a window's titlebar (and also the applications menu when you right-click the desktop).
The applications menu on the panel is a part of LxQt-Panel, so Qt5 applies there, not GTK nor Openbox.
And all colors and stuff are defined in /usr/share/lxqt/themes/<current_theme>/lxqt-panel.qss.
Anyone else has this issue?
Could these wrong timestamps potentially create time critical issues... like crond missing my birthday? :) ... or maybe i shouldn't worry about these timestamps ;) )
Hmm, just checked and some entries in my messages file are also few hours off. They're showing in UTC, to be exact.
I think I know what's the culprit here, but I need to consult with other guys.
Anyway, I found this little app: https://sourceforge.net/projects/qt5ct/.
Just install the attached package and add:

export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct
to your ~/.fatdog/profile, then re-log .
Next: Menu -> Desktop -> Qt5 Settings and fiddle with fonts/styles; maybe this will help...

Greetings!
Attachments
qt5ct-0.31-x86_64-1.txz.gz
Remoe fake .gz extension!

MD5: 10dd71eaa5545e2edbcb1eeb5f719f98 qt5ct-0.31-x86_64-1.txz
(157.25 KiB) Downloaded 111 times

Keef

#378 Post by Keef »

@SFR

I tried the refresh_icons.patch, but no improvement.

/usr/sbin/fatdog-drive-icon-refresh-icon.sh /dev/sdXY

or restarting X will change the mounted/unmounted icon, but nothing else.

step

#379 Post by step »

@Mavrothal,

You asked, how to make a package dependent on the kernel version? I assume that you mean how to make the installation of a package dependent on the kernel version. Slapt doesn't provide a way to find out the kernel version, so I think we need to proceed in a round-about way; installing, checking the version, and uninstalling if the version is incorrect.
uname -r or busybox uname -r outputs the running kernel version. This command can be placed in install/doinst.sh, which slapt runs after all package files are installed, and before the installation is finished. This is better explained in step 3 of http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/faqs/pet-package.html (it's incorrect where it says that the package manager doesn't support an uninstall script like puninstall.sh - Fatdog64-710 does, but the script file name is slack-uninstall.sh).
An installed package can be uninstalled from the command line with slapt --remove <packagename>, for instance slapt --remove yad-0.36.3-x86_64-1 removes yad.
Putting it all together, doinst.sh could be

THIS_PACKAGE=<name>-<version>-x86_64-1 # fill in <name> and <version>
MIN_VERSION_MAJOR=<X> # fill in <X> actual required value here
MIN_VERSION_MINOR=<Y> # ditto <Y>
MIN_VERSION_SUB=<Z>   # ditto <Z>
x=`uname -r`
kversion=$x
kversion_major=${x%%.*} x=${x#*.}
kversion_minor=${x%%.*} kversion_rev=${x#*.}
if [ $kversion_major -ge $MIN_VERSION_MAJOR -a $kversion_minor -ge $MIN_VERSION_MINOR -a $kversion_sub -ge $MIN_VERSION_SUB ]; then
  echo "package is installed for the right kernel version $kversion"
  exit 0
fi
# Remove installation
echo "wrong kernel version $kversion, undoing installation..."
# Allow installation to complete, then uninistall.
( sleep 2; slapt-get --uninstall $THIS_PACKAGE ) &
This sample code is untested. If you find it useful, please let us know if it works for your case. Thank you.

SFR

#380 Post by SFR »

@Keef & Bpuppy:

Dr. Dan mentioned that the drive icons were working ok, until some point.
Was it broken from the very beginning for you two or just like in Dr. Dan's case?
Also, is it reproducible on fresh boot (with pfix=ram) and with a new savefile/folder?

Greetings!