For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
scsijon

woof-q was: bones..

#31 Post by scsijon »

gcav wrote:Hi scsijon,

Are you basing your build on the last Quirky Bones repository from
barryk?

gc
I follow Barry's woof stream at http://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/project/woof/ (latest url), always have. I just add my own 'stuff' under the /quirky/quirky-distro and /quirky/quirky-code structures.

I know it's not puppy's woof-ce but it's what I prefer, after all i'm playing with quirky, not a mainstream puppy and usually build my own package sets from source to woof-build with.

And I haven't released any sets as most of my builds are esoteric. Built for specific groups, like my non-x (pq-) and non-apps (myz) sets or trials for other bases such as I did with opensuse (myo) which failed because of the number of source repositories needed in the build as well as ppm limitations, or purposes such as teaching specifics and never designed for a release. Maybe I should have put the quirky-thud 'stuff' up in the thread as I closed it so others could have worked on, but as the thud sources are no longer in existance it's not worth it.

I shall have a think about this. The only problem would be separating those that are designed for teaching and have a spewcific fail point, (yes the spellings right,) from the good, or 'possibly-usefull-but-need-a-lot-of-work-still' alpha level ones, as there are quite a few of the first, a number of the last, and whether they work with the latest woof is another moot point.
Last edited by scsijon on Tue 03 Dec 2019, 00:04, edited 3 times in total.

scsijon

#32 Post by scsijon »

8Geee wrote:I would like to recommend LibreSSL also.
Right now, the state of OpenSSL is variable...

0.98, 1.0.0, 1.0.1, 1.0.2, and 1.1.0 are either End of Life, or will be in less than 3 months. That leaves only 1.1.1 as being in support in forseeable future. OpenSSL 1.1.1 requires glibc 2.25+ (current is 2.29/2.3).

If one is developing ANY puppy, please keep in mind that OpenSSL 1.1.1 is the only future available. LibreSSL is more 'static'.

Regards
8Geee
At the moment openssl 1.0.2s is being used as it's the latest assigned in T2 and is already tested and configured as musl/clang 'aware'. Although 1.0.2t and 1.1.1d (1.1.1 is LTS to September 2023 programmed for about 3-monthly updates) are now available. I'd be woried if any of them didn't need updating on much more than a 3 month cycle anyway.

And libressl is available under T2 at 3.0.1, so it's possible, just not tested yet in T2. Do you know if it has been musl/clang/toybox built and tested anywhere yet, and is considered bug-free?

I'll consider this with a number of points on my list already set for possible changes when I get to the first alpha stage and start locking-in packages for the first alpha releases.