Fatdog64-810 Final "Save RAM Layer" button (Solved)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
superchook

Fatdog64-810 Final "Save RAM Layer" button (Solved)

#1 Post by superchook »

I have been happily running Fatdog64-810 for several months. The only minor annoyance was that the file system check on boot up was taking a long time.
I recently replaced the hard drive with an SSD and reinstalled the system. The file system check on the new save folder was quite quick. I have also turned off the default auto save by setting the save interval to "0" using the control panel.
There is a text box visible when you mouse over the save interval setting which says that you can initiate a save at any time by means of the "Save RAM Layer" button. I do not have such an icon on the desktop. Where should I look for it?
TIA
Last edited by superchook on Mon 03 Feb 2020, 12:37, edited 1 time in total.

SFR

#2 Post by SFR »

The 'Save' icon shows up only if you have enabled the RAM layer.
By default all writes to savefile/savedir are direct.

In most cases adding savefile=ram:local to the bootloader is enough.
Or, if you already have something like savefile=direct:<other params>, just change it to savefile=ram:<other params>.

See "Advanced Parameters" here: https://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/f ... tions.html for more info.

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

superchook

Fatdog64-810 Final "Save RAM Layer" button

#3 Post by superchook »

Thanks, SFR
Appending savefile=ram:local solved the problem.

rufwoof

#4 Post by rufwoof »

I can highly recommend the multi-session save approach (that's more commonly associated with saving/loading from DVD's, but works just as well with HDD's). I boot a HDD version of that using grub4dos menu.lst entry that looks like

Code: Select all

title Fatdog 810 Beta
root (hd0,0)
kernel /FATDOG810/vmlinuz basesfs=ram:uuid:xxx:/FATDOG810/fd64.sfs savefile=direct:multi:uuid:xxx/:/FATDOG810/:
initrd /FATDOG810/initrd
... and it has a save icon on the desktop (I've set the save session interval to 0, so it only ever saves when that icon is clicked).

Each save creates a new sfs file, and then loads them at bootup. So you can simply remove/rename the last 'save' if you later decided that you didn't after all want to have saved. If you boot, let the save sfs's load and then once booted you remove all of those sfs's and then run a 'save' (click the desktop save icon), it in effect rebuilds all of those multiple save sfs's consolidated into a single save sfs (more strictly it actually creates two sfs's initially after the first save).

Being sfs's you can simply open those save files to see exactly what was saved at that particular date/time, a nice form of 'audit trail'.
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]