Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 21 Jan 2020, 11:43
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
How to repair a corrupted flash drive
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
TyroBGinner

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct 2016, 02:41    Post subject:  

I thought that fsck and Microsoft programs like chkdsk "fixed" a filesystem by effectively erasing file clusters that were not associated with anything. There doesn't seem to be any provision for recovery. A real problem for a "defectuous" drive.

And is "Google Fact Checker" the reincarnation of lhtc?

Oh, and I almost forgot, Windows is better than Linux.
Burn_IT

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct 2016, 07:05    Post subject:  

Quote:
... since the Linux FAT32 support is based on ripped off code.

Fat32 was designed and patented by MS and Linux was using it for years before they asked permission to use it. There was a huge fuss about it at the time and MS threatened to sue unless they asked.
They didn't want any money for it, they just wanted Linux to admit it in the license terms.

Why don't YOU look it up.

GoogleFactChecker

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct 2016, 08:05    Post subject:  

Burn_IT wrote:
Quote:

Fat32 was designed and patented by MS and Linux was using it for years before they asked permission to use it. There was a huge fuss about it at the time and MS threatened to sue unless they asked.
They didn't want any money for it, they just wanted Linux to admit it in the license terms.

1. This is not the same as "ripped off code".
2. Proof for what you said above?

Quote:
Why don't YOU look it up.

You are the one who makes the claim, the burden of proof is on you.
Sailor Enceladus

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct 2016, 08:29    Post subject:  

Speaking of "rip-offs", here's what Bill Gates himself has to say about Windows and Apple apparently Laughing

Quote:
As Steve Jobs biography went OVERPRICED from today, Fortune magazine has got an exclusive reprint rights of part of the biography where the relationship between Steve Jobs and Bill Gates was discussed. In that, following is the situation when Steve Jobs came to know that Bill Gates at Microsoft is developing a competing OS and Bill Gates visits Apple’s campus to talk with Steve as per his request.

Their meeting was in Jobs’s conference room, where Gates found himself surrounded by ten Apple employees who were eager to watch their boss assail him. Jobs didn’t disappoint his troops. “You’re ripping us off!” he shouted. “I trusted you, and now you’re stealing from us!” Gates just sat there coolly, looking Steve in the eye, before hurling back, in his squeaky voice, what became a classic zinger. “Well, Steve, I think there’s more than one way of looking at it. I think it’s more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it.”

https://mspoweruser.com/bill-gates-response-to-steve-jobs-on-windows-rip-off-claim/
perdido

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct 2016, 09:25    Post subject:  

Burn_IT wrote:
Quote:

Microsoft wanted money.
Microsoft sued TomTom because TT was using FAT32 in its devices and refused to pay money (licensing fees) to Microsoft. TomTom was using Linux in its GPS devices.

TomTom is now a member of the Open Inventions Network. The Open Inventions Network includes IBM, Novell, Philips, Red Hat,Sony. NEC, Google, Toyota, Canonical, and other major patent holders.

The Open Inventions Network is what keeps Microsoft from litigating everyone out of existence by the veiled threat of their own litigation against MS for the many thousands of patent infringements MS has commited against the members of The Open Inventions Network. Strength in numbers has neutered the bully.

TyroBGinner

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct 2016, 11:28    Post subject:  

A surprising admission - that everyone ripped off Xerox PARC.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct 2016, 00:00    Post subject:  

Just for fun, I started Gparted. It said it saw 3 USB drives, but there are only two plugged in. So I clicked on the one I didn't recognize, and Gparted just ran and ran but never found anything. When I told it to stop, it gave this error message:
libparted bug.png
 Description   
 Filesize   10.44 KB
 Viewed   177 Time(s)

libparted bug.png

Page 2 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: