How to use Brother HL-1212W printer with Tahr6.0.5? [Solved]

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
bigpup

#16 Post by bigpup »

You need to follow the procedures and do all that is posted.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 619#306619

You have all the stuff downloaded to /root, but not all installed.

Example steps to install what you downloaded:
(I changed this to match the files you downloaded)
Download and install debbi-1.2.pet from the attachment below. It copies the file debbi to the folder /root/my-applications/bin.

This little program will extract the contents of a DEB package to your hard drive and run the post-install script. You will use it for both printer and scanner drivers.

Go to your /root folder and press the back-tick key (this is usually the lower-case ~ key above Tab). This opens a terminal window. To display a list of files, type:

Code: Select all

ls
Now type:

debbi hl1210wlpr-3.0.1-1.i386.deb
followed by

debbi hl1210wcupswrapper-3.0.1-1.i386.deb
This procedure is an ideal situation for using Tab Completion to avoid having to type the whole filename. Try typing:

debbi <space> mfc <tab> <enter>
In most cases, you can ignore any error messages from the debbi script.

Debbi installs the printer driver and puts a PPD file in the folder /usr/share/cups/model. Depending on your model, it may also add a printer in CUPS attached to a USB port, ready to use.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Antipodal

Brother HL-1212W problem

#17 Post by Antipodal »

@bigpup
Thank you for your last post it has been very helpful.
I'm still struggling but I will give more details in my next post.
Best regards

Antipodal

Brother HL-1212W problem

#18 Post by Antipodal »

Thank you all! :D for helping me in getting my new printer work!

In my descriptions I have a tendency to get into details that I am not sure people really care about.

This is why, I will only say that a great part of the delay in making my printer work was because at that same time I was solving other problems that had nothing to do with printing or computing and that another important part the delay was due to errors caused by eagerness to recover the time I was losing.

Perhaps, if at the time of my second to last post, I had known what the Console Tab Completion meant and how to use it, that post would not have been the failure report it was.

Thank you for teaching me! :) :D :)
If it not were because I know that some people believe some acronyms insult their intelligence and nobody’s intelligence deserves being insulted, I would end this post writing GBYA. :wink:
Antipodal

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#19 Post by Flash »

Antipodal, for what it's worth, your English is quite good. Better than most native English speakers, I'd say. :lol:

Also, I can move topics around in the forum but I can't add them to existing topics.

greengeek

Re: Brother HL-1212W problem

#20 Post by greengeek »

Antipodal wrote:If it not were because I know that some people believe some acronyms insult their intelligence and nobody’s intelligence deserves being insulted, I would end this post writing GBYA. :wink:
I haven't seen that before. What does it stand for - maybe "Good Bye Y'All" ?

Antipodal

How to use Brother HL-1212W with Tahr6.0.5

#21 Post by Antipodal »

Flash wrote: for what it's worth, your English is quite good. Better than most native English speakers, I'd say. :lol:
Flash: Thank you, but if my mother and her family (with whom I was brought up) were still alive they would have taken your words not as a compliment as I do, but as a disparagement, they would have felt guilty for having established themselves almost 7 thousand miles away from their UK homeland and would probably have tried to put the blame on me for spending my time talking to non English speakers and forgetting the excellent English they spoke. :lol:
Flash wrote:Also, I can move topics around in the forum but I can't add them to existing topics.
Flash: That's OK. Thank you. :)
Regarding the heading of this topic, I will try to delete the misleading words "color copier" somebody has inserted there and replace them for "printer" because Brother HL-1212W printer has no color capabilities.
If I fail, please do it for me. :)
greengeek wrote:I haven't seen that before. What does it stand for -
maybe "Good Bye Y'All" ?.
greengeek: :) http://www.lingo2word.com/lingodetail.php?WrdID=39458

First Edition: to change the wording of the last part of my first sentence.