When compiling is done, will dir2pet install the program?

discuss compiling applications for Puppy
belham2

When compiling is done, will dir2pet install the program?

#1 Post by belham2 »

Ok, serious nooooooooob question here about compiling. From the few times I've did in the past to today's successful compile in peebee's LXPupXenial (for a 32-bit openssl-1.0.2j) to tomorrow's attempted Quirky 8.0 compiling, I've a question:

---when a person is compiling (doing it on and for install to the pup OS he/she is on), and the terminal gets completely done after doing the ./config, make, new2dir make install routine, was (or is) whatever your compiling (i.e. the openssl-1.0.2j) automatically installed to your pup distro at the same time as it makes (assuming you select "dir2pet" in the terminal at the end) the nice, new shiny .pet?

april

#2 Post by april »

I've never used "dir2pet" but I assume it takes the compiled binaries and puts them in pet form , does it? I'll have to read up on that .

But I wondered what you were doing that for and where you are following to even get you there.

Normally my compiling is done by getting the source , "./config" in its opened directory and "make" and then "make install" this usually puts the binary in the right bin file somewhere in my PATH and I open it by running the binary (changing permissions if needed). The source and all the completed work is left where I put them when I downloaded them, usually a Software directory.

Maybe your "dir2pet" method creates a pet and you get a menu addition too does it?

Edit - hmm thats interesting .

Code: Select all

Non-compulsory:
  -w="<description>"  quoted description of the application"
  -d=<+deps>  comma-delimited dependencies, with prepended "+" sign
  -c=<Category>  category of application; for package manager

LIST of allowed Categories: (default: BuildingBlock)
	Desktop
	System
	Setup
	Utility
	Filesystem
	Graphic
	Document
	Business
	Personal
	Network
	Internet
	Multimedia
	Fun

EXAMPLE
# dir2pet -x -s -w="fun game" -d=+gtk+,+ffmpeg,+cairo -p=my_fun_game-0.1-i486

Sailor Enceladus

#3 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

new2dir make install actually strips it, installs it to your computer, makes a sub-folder for it (or more than 1 if you tell it to seperate the DOC, DEV, NLS), and creates a pet at the end with dir2pet if you press a key other than Enter at the last prompt (question 5 I think?). If you answered to seperate them in step 3 it will prompt you for each pet in step 5 instead of just once.

belham2

#4 Post by belham2 »

april wrote:I've never used "dir2pet" but I assume it takes the compiled binaries and puts them in pet form , does it? I'll have to read up on that .

But I wondered what you were doing that for and where you are following to even get you there.

Normally my compiling is done by getting the source , "./config" in its opened directory and "make" and then "make install" this usually puts the binary in the right bin file somewhere in my PATH and I open it by running the binary (changing permissions if needed). The source and all the completed work is left where I put them when I downloaded them, usually a Software directory.

Maybe your "dir2pet" method creates a pet and you get a menu addition too does it?

Edit - hmm thats interesting .

Code: Select all

Non-compulsory:
  -w="<description>"  quoted description of the application"
  -d=<+deps>  comma-delimited dependencies, with prepended "+" sign
  -c=<Category>  category of application; for package manager

LIST of allowed Categories: (default: BuildingBlock)
	Desktop
	System
	Setup
	Utility
	Filesystem
	Graphic
	Document
	Business
	Personal
	Network
	Internet
	Multimedia
	Fun

EXAMPLE
# dir2pet -x -s -w="fun game" -d=+gtk+,+ffmpeg,+cairo -p=my_fun_game-0.1-i486

Hi April,

I've only compiled in these pup distros:

Many different Phil, Micko & Peebee's versions, both 32 & 64-bit

Barry's Precise (32-bit) and his new Quirky 8.0 (64-bit)

And once in James & Kirk's Fatdog64.

Each time I have done it, I've had different results (Flash, in his good intentions, changed my subject title, and now it appears I am only asking one side of the compiling question when there's actually two):

To wit, using the new openssl-1.0.2j-tar.gz just released, patching a security flaw).

Everytime I compile, I follow this routine (that I've read, help docs here on Murga) in a terminal opened in that source's folder:

# ./compile
# make
# new2dir make install

When the 'new2dir' is done running, I've notice that in some it installed to the OS whatever it was compiling. I have to do nothing. In others, it says it installed, but it is not, as I've learned the install directory locations are different in the OSes and I am trying to learn how to identify them. So, the first part of my question, does when you run the three commands does that mean it is trying to install to your OS? I am thinking yes, but I am not sure, and maybe I am seeing things when I think they're installed (and they are not).

Second part of the question, every time I have run those commands above, after 'new2dir make install' finishes, before it closes out, in the terminal up pops a notice asking me if I want to run "dir2pet" to make a .pet too. It is in the terminal, and it even throws up a GUI asking you to enter any info about your pet, also asks you if you want it in menu or not, and then a few more questions, and quickly it sets about making your shiny, new .pet file. So on the systems where I think it did not install (when I check via terminal, using commands for that program), I run the new .pet and then it installs but again sometimes it seems I am fighting not understanding this all. so, this 2nd part of the question, as 'dir2pet' is doing its stuff, is it too trying to install that pet to your pup OS.

Sorry if this is all confusing....the more I learn, the less I know. I cannot believe I haven't crashed various pups over the past few years as it seems I am playing with fire in not understanding something here, so I am trying to learn. I've read so many 'Ho To" threads on Murga but none get into detail about this.....none of them actually explain what goes on in those 'how to(s)' and/or why.

I am first just trying to ascertain what happens in both of these instances before I try to learn more about every parameter that can be used in ./config, make, new2dir make install and also dir2pet.

belham2

#5 Post by belham2 »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:new2dir make install actually strips it, installs it to your computer, makes a sub-folder for it (or more than 1 if you tell it to seperate the DOC, DEV, NLS), and creates a pet at the end with dir2pet if you press a key other than Enter at the last prompt (question 5 I think?). If you answered to seperate them in step 3 it will prompt you for each pet in step 5 instead of just once.

Thank you, Sailor! That makes a lot of sense with what I see going on...I thought this was happening, but I couldn't understand why some of them were actually getting installed and others weren't. LOL, I definitely need to learn some more as I've just been dumb lucky over the past few years :o