Puppy for X86 64bit tablet with 32bit UEFI bios?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
noalternative

Re: Puppy for X86 64bit tablet with 32bit UEFI bios?

#31 Post by noalternative »

Insomniacno1 wrote: Hi noalternative, then I would rather go with Peach OSI as I run that on my laptop http://www.peachosi.com/ - but we are taliking puppy here and if you read the whole thread, then you will know how far we have come with this project and that touchscreen now works - just need to get wifi, bluetooh and screen rotation to work:)

JBJ
Yara is based on Puppy with Ubuntu tahr compatibility, so you can install debs as well as pets. It is not a clone of osx. It is xfce, which is kind of like a cross between osx and gnome3, and than the mate version is like the old gnome2 and not osx like at all.

The website and his postings here don't give many details so it is easy to be confuse but both are nice distros.

Insomniacno1

#32 Post by Insomniacno1 »

noalternative wrote:
Insomniacno1 wrote: Hi noalternative, then I would rather go with Peach OSI as I run that on my laptop http://www.peachosi.com/ - but we are taliking puppy here and if you read the whole thread, then you will know how far we have come with this project and that touchscreen now works - just need to get wifi, bluetooh and screen rotation to work:)

JBJ
Yara is based on Puppy with Ubuntu tahr compatibility, so you can install debs as well as pets. It is not a clone of osx. It is xfce, which is kind of like a cross between osx and gnome3, and than the mate version is like the old gnome2 and not osx like at all.

The website and his postings here don't give many details so it is easy to be confuse but both are nice distros.
Okay, but it needs to be setup like slacko 6.9.6.1 or it will not boot into the desktop. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=108017

I already failed puppy Tahr, xenial, lxpupsc and numerous others, that only boot to prompt telling that x failed to load and to run xorgwizard. xorgwizard will not work because the screen resolution of 800x1280(not 1280x800 like in windows) or 1280x800 is not on the list on resolutions and this tablet seems not to handle others in linux - in windows 1280x800, 1280x768, 1280x720 and 1024x768 are available.

If I run xorgwizard and choose to use xvesa and 1024x768 and finish, then type xwin I end up in same prompt.

Back to slacko:

I got wifi with external Netgear WG111V2 USB wifi stick(compatible with almost any linux), now I just need find the internal realtek wifi drivers to get that and bluetooth to work.
---------

The adjustment to xorg.conf a few pages back, seems to somehow break slacko so that I can't install .pet's also it seems to drop the usb keyboard. i don't know why, just that it happens right after reboot and I tried several times now with fresh savefile.
-----------

In slacko nothing happens if I change the screen resolution, not even after reboot - it stays on 800x1280 - any fix for this?

xrandr claims that the card can handle 800x1280 min and 800x1280 max - which is not true.
------------

Please help me getting the screen rotated to the left(landscape mode), it's really uncomfortable to look at it as it is now:(
-----------

I attached a screenshot of lsmod - copy and paste does not work in console(I thought that were standard nowadays), I will install lxterminal instead.

JBJ
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(55.43 KiB) Downloaded 1415 times

Insomniacno1

#33 Post by Insomniacno1 »

I contacted 01micko and asked if he could build me a different version with some of the problems fixed, and are now waiting for his version:) So this thread is still alive - keep comming back.

Right now I'm playing around with Ubuntu 16.10 tweaked to be used with Bay trail tablets and here wifi works - sound and bluetooth is not working, neither are rotation.
https://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com/2016 ... 7716313577

But Puppy is the one I want on this tablet.

greengeek

#34 Post by greengeek »

Hi insomniac - have you tried Slacko 6.9.6.3 ? It gives me a great touch experience especially with an enhancement pet that I made for it. Hope it boots on your device.

Insomniacno1

#35 Post by Insomniacno1 »

greengeek wrote:Hi insomniac - have you tried Slacko 6.9.6.3 ? It gives me a great touch experience especially with an enhancement pet that I made for it. Hope it boots on your device.
Hi greengeek, did you get rotation, sound, wi-fi, bluetooth to work on that one?

That is why I'm waiting for 01micko to have time to look at a version for me - and everyone else with this kind of tablet:)

In the meantime I'm trying out other OS's, not to install but to find out how the problems were solved so we can use the solutions for puppy.

Let me be clear, the ultimate goal is to have puppy on this tablet. Not Ubuntu, not android, not phoenix - because the size of the OS matters on devices that can't be upgraded due to manufacturer stupidity.

It would not have been difficult to have made these tablets with RAM/ROM slots, so they could be upgraded. Instead they make them with useless MicroSD card that can't even boot or offer the possibility of installing app's to it, so the internal SD don't get cluthered.

The same goes for netbooks, I don't think I have to explain the stupidity on that topic, other than 2GB RAM max., no CPU socket.

The most important thing is the support, puppy has a large platform and almost any linux forum has someone capable of helping.

I have used puppy for many years on small machines, that were too old or too small(HW) to hold anything else. Most of the time things got to work, these days we have problems with touchscreen, wi-fi, bluetooth, sound because too many manufacturers and not enough open source drivers and sometimes the wrong driver is in the kernel and very hard to get rid of. Rotation still don't work on this tablet with Ubuntu 16.04 or 16.10, because the touchscreen is found as unknown and the graphic driver is found as i915 series - it's not, it's Intel HD graphics 4600.

Sound is not working because Realtek don't provide open source drivers, and the linux drivers on their homepage are useless. Card is found but still no sound and wrong ports added, so sometimes the tablet don't even boot anymore or you can risk blowing your soundchip!

I don't have a clue on how to program, HW repair/OS support is my thing, so I ask the ones much clever than me:)

The linuxium 16.04 has wi-fi and bluetooth working - all the other stuf above, do not work. Breaking my neck looking at it sideways.

Insomniacno1

#36 Post by Insomniacno1 »

Insomniacno1 wrote:As the subject says, I'm looking for a Puppy that can run from USB on this kind of tablet.

As the owner of an ODYS WinTab 8 with the specs below, I like to know if its possible to boot as live or install to an Windows 8.1 with Bing tablet.

The current windows 8.1 with Bing, is not good on such a small screen and the way ODYS set it up there are only about 3GB free space out of the total of 16GB, because of a 5.12GB recovery partition.

Anyone have a suggestion?

HW:

The Odys WinTab 8 is an 8" Windows 8.1 Tablet powered by Intels Bay Trail-T platform with an Intel Atom Z3735E quadcore processor. Built in is a microSDHC slot for expansion of storage of up to 32GB. 1GB of RAM. In terms of ports there is only 1 microUSB port which is host(OTG) capable and a 3.5mm headphone jack.

Manufacturer Odys
Model name Wintab 8
CPU type Intel Atom Z3735E
CPU speed 1330 Mhz
Graphics Intel HD (Gen 7 Baytrail) - I's actually HD Graphics 4600
Fanless YES
OS Microsoft Windows 8.1
Display Size 8.0" 1280 X 800 - 1280x768, 1280x720 and 1024x768
Screen Type LED-Backlit LCD
Touchscreen type Multi-touch
RAM 1024 MB
SSD 16 GB
Battery capacity 16 Wh

Wireless Interfaces:
802.11 b/g/n - Realtek RTL8723BS
BT 4.0 Realtek RTL8723BS

Wi-fi/bluetooth drivers for developer to use as kernel patch https://github.com/hadess/rtl8723bs

No Wireless WAN (e.g. 3G cellular)

Soundcard: Realtek RTL5640/42
Drivers: http://12244.wpc.azureedge.net/8012244/ ... c8.tar.bz2 - Not working in Ubuntu, no sound.

Accelerometer: Kionix KXCJ9

It has 32bit UEFI bios, so in order to boot it on anything it needs the /EFI/boot/bootia32.efi - here are the files needed with grub.cfg files with examples - its made by Ted Dog and I have modified it to work on this tablet. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/948 ... usb.tar.gz

The bios can be accessed by holding both volume buttons and power ON, so you don't have to boot to windows first.

The partition scheme is as follows:

1. 100MB EFI
2. Windows C: - Windows 8.1 with bing - 9.30GB with 3.20GB free
3. Recovery - 5.15GB used

Seems to be using Wimboot.

Hope some of the many geniuses here can help with this.

With kind regards

JBJ
@01micko I have updated the HW specification for this tablet with the new information I have found - it's in dark red.

Hope you can use that for making puppy work on these tablets. They are also sold as Onda.

With kind regards

JBJ

greengeek

#37 Post by greengeek »

Insomniacno1 wrote:Hi greengeek, did you get rotation, sound, wi-fi, bluetooth to work on that one?.
I am just putting the finishing touches to the rotation scripts. I hope to post a pet soon to improve the touch usability on slacko 6.9.6.3

Rotation involves two things - rotation of the image on screen (easy) and also inversion/swapping of the x and y axes of the touchscreen and/or mouse (not so easy).

One of the problems is the script syntax needs to take into account the device name of the touchscreen - which in my case is "eGalax Inc. USB TouchController".

It would be good to find out the device name of the touchscreen on your device and one of the ways this can be done is as follows:

1) Boot slacko 6.9.6.3 or similar.

2) Download and install the xinput pet from this post:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 509#438509
(actually you don't need to download this if you install the pet below as xinput is already included in that)

3) In a terminal enter the following command:
xinput list

You should be able to spot exactly what the touchscreen device is called within X and evdev.

That touch device name can be entered into the rotation script so that the pointer axes can be swapped and inverted as required for either rotate left or rotate right.

EDIT 2 : It may also be necessary to change the device name of the visual display. It is currently set to LVDS1, but in order to find out if yours is different just enter the following in a terminal:
xrandr
The display name can be written into each of the /root/rot8 scripts.
(It is LVDS rather than LVDS1 for the Acer Iconia W500).

EDIT : I just tidied up the initial version of the rotate scripts and will attach the .pet here.

Please note:
- This is intended to be loaded to a fresh boot of Slacko 6.9.6.3 (32bit) without savefile (please test without savefile as I don't want to be responsible for damaging your current setup)
- This has been optimised for a Dell Duo. Other tablets may have different brands/models of touchscreen and may require script mods to account for device name variations.
- The rotation scripts are not attached to the accelerometer function - they are manual use only and are found in the /root/rot8 directory.

This pet changes the sizes of various components such as tray heights, scroll bar sizes etc, and adds a new desktop menu which can be used to access rightclick menu functions, main puppy menu functions, onscreen keyboard and also zoomin/zoomout functions for browser use.

There are some issues with drive icon placement (and window positioning) after rotate but I can live with that for now.

Credits to 01micko, jamesbond, jlst, and others for the groundwork that makes touchscreen possible.
Attachments
slacko6963_touchpack_zoom_height_scroll_rot8_mse_gg-0.1.pet
(238.5 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
Screenshot.jpg
(82.18 KiB) Downloaded 1253 times

Insomniacno1

#38 Post by Insomniacno1 »

Hi greengeek, I will try as soon as I find time - i got an Slacko 6.9.6.3 and Slacko 6.9.6.4 32bit - Which one should I use?

I assume we are still talking about the 32bit version, as the 64bit hangs at the desktop on my tablet.

On 32bit the firmware has been trimmed. Are there and .sfs that restores it?

I have updated the first post in this thread with the HW info I have found - please look at the wi-fi drivers. Could you make a .pet that installs them?

That should also take care of the bluetooth, as it is the same driver.

Thank you for working on this with me:)

greengeek

#39 Post by greengeek »

Insomniacno1 wrote: i got an Slacko 6.9.6.3 and Slacko 6.9.6.4 32bit - Which one should I use?
I would stick with 6.9.6.3 at the moment for two reasons - firstly I have not tested with 6.9.6.4 yet and secondly there seem to be reports of a number of people finding issues with 6.9.6.4 - hopefully these problems will be better understood over time.
I assume we are still talking about the 32bit version, as the 64bit hangs at the desktop on my tablet.
Yes, just 32bit so far.
On 32bit the firmware has been trimmed. Are there and .sfs that restores it?
Sorry I don't know - most of my work has been with slightly older puppies and I am still getting familiar with the changes in recent pups.
I have updated the first post in this thread with the HW info I have found - please look at the wi-fi drivers. Could you make a .pet that installs them?
Unfortunately I don't think I am going to be much help with drivers - it is an area I don't fully understand. If I can work out how to help I will try.
Thank you for working on this with me:)
You're welcome. I wish I could do more to help but my skills are limited. This is an interesting project to work on though - your UEFI skills are helping educate me and maybe one day I will risk buying some new hardware and dip my toes in the UEFI pool.

The 32bit UEFI offerings seem few and far between so what you are achieving here is great.

If you do try 6.9.6.4 and have problems it would be worth reporting them in the slacko thread in case your information helps add to the understanding and improvements - maybe your device will contribute slightly different symptoms and help illuminate the problems - especially with regard to firmware.

Insomniacno1

#40 Post by Insomniacno1 »

Hi greengeek, I used the 6.9.6.3 32bit as you said and followed your guide:

Code: Select all

# xinput list
⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ FTSC1000:00 2808:1008                   	id=9	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Microsoft Microsoft® Nano Transceiver v1.0	id=6	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Microsoft Microsoft® Nano Transceiver v1.0	id=7	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Generic USB K/B                         	id=10	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Microsoft Microsoft® Nano Transceiver v1.0	id=8	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Generic USB K/B 

# xrandr                                                                       
xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 800 x 1280, current 800 x 1280, maximum 800 x 1280
default connected 800x1280+0+0 0mm x 0mm
   800x1280       0.00* 
# 

After running xrandr above, i changed LVDS1 to Screen 0 - I get an error when runnig the rotr script:

# ls
Choices       my-applications  puppy-reference    spot
File-Sharing  my-documents     rot8               Startup
ftpd          network          slacko output.txt
# cd rot8
# ls
rotinvert  rotl  rotnormal  rotr
# sh rotr
warning: output Screen0 not found; ignoring
unable to find device eGalax Inc. USB TouchController
unable to find device eGalax Inc. USB TouchController
# 

It didn't help changing the name to Screen0 as you can see from above output.

And as you can see the screen gets found incorrectly, in Windows it can handle: 1280 X 800, 1280x768, 1280x720 and 1024x768

And in windows the screen is set as 1280x800 - but in linux 800x1280 - maybe this is where everything go wrong.

------------

I still have no wi-fi or bluettoth so I'm using PS2 keyboard on usb adapter cable, and wireless mouse.

greengeek

#41 Post by greengeek »

Insomniacno1 wrote:

# xrandr                                                                       
Screen 0: minimum 800 x 1280, current 800 x 1280, maximum 800 x 1280
default connected 800x1280+0+0 0mm x 0mm
   800x1280       0.00* 
# 
After running xrandr above, i changed LVDS1 to Screen 0 - I get an error when runnig the rotr script:

# sh rotr
warning: output Screen0 not found; ignoring...
It didn't help changing the name to Screen0 as you can see from above output.
All I can suggest is maybe try using "default" instead of "LVDS1".Here is my own xrandr output so you can compare with yours:

# xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 800, maximum 8192 x 8192
LVDS1 connected 1280x800+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x 0mm
   1280x800       60.0*+
   1024x768       60.0  
   800x600        60.3  
VGA1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DVI1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
# 
So "Screen 0" needs to be replaced by the screen name found on the line below it - which is "default". I have no idea if "default" would work but that seems to be what xrandr calls your display.
And as you can see the screen gets found incorrectly, in Windows it can handle: 1280 X 800, 1280x768, 1280x720 and 1024x768
And in windows the screen is set as 1280x800 - but in linux 800x1280 - maybe this is where everything go wrong.
Yes, that seems to be a major problem. The extra display sizes just are not detected. I don't know if that will prevent rotation, but it might.

Your touchscreen seems to be called:
FTSC1000:00 2808:1008
So that could be plugged into the rot8 scripts instead of "eGalax....." - but I guess it's not going to do you any good if the display won't rotate.

Sorry I don't have too much else to suggest.

EDIT :I just want to list some links that I can research in case they contain some useful info:
https://github.com/burzumishi/linux-bay ... /README.md - has some good info about screen and touch device.
(That link suggests using the following syntax to find the "OUTPUT" parameter to use for xrandr:

xrandr | grep -w connected | cut -d" " -f1
For me that comes back with LVDS or LVDS1 depending on device, but I assume for your device this will return "default").

http://forum.xda-developers.com/windows ... 2-t2926413 says:

ok, tips and tricks. to rotate the screen, you need to enter two commands into the terminal

first to rotate the view to the right, you type:

xrandr -output VGA1 -rotate right

on my most recent installation (ubuntu mate 14.04) this didnt work. so I needed instead to use

xrandr -o right

then hit enter of course. this WONT rotate the touchscreen. to rotate that, we need xinput.
first you can type xinput list to list what devices are present. I assume you will see FTSC1000:00 2808:5056 listed. if so, this will work, if not, you will need to adjust this command to fit what you see listed. (most important if you are adapting this guide to another bay trail tablet other then the pipo w2) the command that you want, assuming that's your touchscreen is

xinput set-prop "FTSC1000:00 2808:5056" "Coordinate Transformation Matrix" 0 1 0 -1 0 1 0 0 1

and hit enter of course. your touchscreen should now be rotated to the right as well, 
(Just general info - not necessarily relevant to the OPs device)

Insomniacno1

#42 Post by Insomniacno1 »

Hi greengeek i did as you suggested and still in fresh puppy without savefile but with your .pet installed.

Here are the output from the commands:

# cd rot8
# sh rotr
xrandr: output default cannot use rotation "right" reflection "none"
# 

-------------------------------------------

# xrandr | grep -w connected | cut -d" " -f1
# 

-----------------------------------

# xrandr --output default --rotate right                                     
xrandr: output default cannot use rotation "right" reflection "none"
# 
------------------
[color=red]You need 2 dash's - in the command
[/color]
--------------------------------------------------------

# xrandr -o right
X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  139 (RANDR)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  2 (RRSetScreenConfig)
  Serial number of failed request:  14
  Current serial number in output stream:  14
# 
------------------------------------------------------------

# xinput list 
⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Microsoft Microsoft® Nano Transceiver v1.0	id=7	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Microsoft Microsoft® Nano Transceiver v1.0	id=8	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Generic USB K/B                         	id=10	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ FTSC1000:00 2808:1008                   	id=11	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Microsoft Microsoft® Nano Transceiver v1.0	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Generic USB K/B                         	id=9	[slave  keyboard (3)]
# 

# xinput set-prop "FTSC1000:00 2808:1008" "Coordinate Transformation Matrix" 0>
# 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you or someone else can make sense of this and help getting it corrected:)

greengeek

#43 Post by greengeek »

I think I'm out of ideas at this point. I think you are right about the detection of your video modes - there seems to be no ability for the video driver to handle normal alternative resolutions or functions.

I don't know how to get past that problem unfortunately.

silverblade02

About booting other Puppy flavors

#44 Post by silverblade02 »

Just sharing my experience...

I actually had the same problem in the past (booting Puppy Linux in 32bit UEFI on 64bit computer), but after installing Tahrpup and LxPupSC using Universal USB Installer in Windows, putting the bootia32.efi on /EFI/boot folder and creating a grub.cfg file in root directory, I am able to boot Tahrpup and LxPupSC 16.10.1 (but needed to manually type the grub commands on the bootia32.efi for Asus T100TA). However, I needed to use the Advanced options from Windows to boot the flashdrive properly after disabling the secure boot in BIOS. Please see image for reference:

However, I am still unable to get the WIFI, camera, sounds or touchscreen, or rotation to work. I will try the slacko 6.9 and watch this forum for other possible solutions. :D

Please see the links below for reference:

Universal USB Installer - http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -as-1-2-3/
bootia32.efi for Asus T100TA - http://www.jfwhome.com/2016/01/04/lates ... us-t100ta/
bootia32.efi from Fatdog - http://blog.puppylinux.com/?viewDetailed=00009

Insomniacno1

#45 Post by Insomniacno1 »

Hi Silverblade, did you read the thread from the beginning?

No need to repeat the solutions, the ones I have given works just fine:)

With kind regards

JBJ

bcuconato

Help with booting Puppy on a 32-bit tablet?

#46 Post by bcuconato »

EDIT: the error is "Searching for Puppy files... puppy_slacko_6.3.2.sfs not found. Dropping out to initial ramdisk console..."

---

hello there,

could you help me booting Puppy on my 32-bit tablet? I've read this topic searching for answers but I think I'm still not at the point that Insomniacno1 has gotten to.

I've posted my doubts on the forum already (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=108910), but I thought should also post it here since this topic is related to it.

I followed this tutorial (http://blog.puppylinux.com/?viewDetailed=00009), I managed to boot from my SDHC card after disabling fast boot and secure boot, but then a terminal opens up after a warning shows up saying it couldn't find the puppy_slacko_6.3.2.sfs file.

do you have any idea of what I could do to boot Slacko or any other puppy (preferably one with touchscreen support, but if not possible it's ok) on my tablet?

all info needed is only the original post above, and I can provide any other info as needed.

thank you,
Last edited by bcuconato on Tue 15 Nov 2016, 00:09, edited 1 time in total.

TeX Dog

#47 Post by TeX Dog »

OK you are in good shape if it got that far. The grub verbs used for GPT style disk differ from (msdos,0 ) etc. On boot, press esc key then (hd [tab] to see what the parts are named, if that look right move the sfs file to the top most level inside where ever you have the other files ( which was found it seems ) also copying into the top level of all normal partitions almost always get found, once booted you can tell which part was used and can edit the grub config line for offset.

bcuconato

#48 Post by bcuconato »

TeX Dog wrote:OK you are in good shape if it got that far. The grub verbs used for GPT style disk differ from (msdos,0 ) etc. On boot, press esc key then (hd [tab] to see what the parts are named, if that look right move the sfs file to the top most level inside where ever you have the other files ( which was found it seems ) also copying into the top level of all normal partitions almost always get found, once booted you can tell which part was used and can edit the grub config line for offset.
I'm not sure I completely understood what you're telling me to do (newbie here), but:

my SDHC live booter has all the files on its root, save for the 'bootia32.efi', which is on EFI/boot. that is, the file is right there with all the others, I don't get why it is not found. (the root of the flash card is what you mean by top-level, right?)

how should I edit the grub.cfg file for that effect? can I specify where the file is as I did for init.gz, for example?

thank you for the reply, TeX Dog!

PS: there's this old thread where people have the same problem http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=48596, but I'm not sure the causes are the same. I can't try their fix, because I don't seem to be able to type '=' on the console...

TeX Dog

#49 Post by TeX Dog »

Yes the boot parts are working but the script inside initrd can't locate needed file that is the O.S. Multiple factors can exist for why that happens but mostly do to numbering and offset of parts of harddrive, Not all possible layouts are supported but shortcuts exist to point to correct sfs. I get it wrong ( numbering and drive layout ) most of the time, so my trick is to place same file in every part of disk I can access safely in the root most level like D:\ C:\ etc if you are used to windows world.
Just so it will boot then work backwards and remove sfs. SDCards are most tricky especially slower ones,

here is an example of device names used in sdcards

boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/mmcblk0p2

Do you have anything like that in the second part of kernel line in grub?

bcuconato

#50 Post by bcuconato »

TeX Dog wrote:Yes the boot parts are working but the script inside initrd can't locate needed file that is the O.S. Multiple factors can exist for why that happens but mostly do to numbering and offset of parts of harddrive, Not all possible layouts are supported but shortcuts exist to point to correct sfs. I get it wrong ( numbering and drive layout ) most of the time, so my trick is to place same file in every part of disk I can access safely in the root most level like D:\ C:\ etc if you are used to windows world.
Just so it will boot then work backwards and remove sfs. SDCards are most tricky especially slower ones,

here is an example of device names used in sdcards

boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/mmcblk0p2

Do you have anything like that in the second part of kernel line in grub?
I'll try putting the file on every level of the SD card then, thanks!

my grub.cfg looks like this:

insmod png
background_image /slacko.png
set timeout=10
menuentry "Start slacko" {
    linux /vmlinuz
    initrd /initrd.gz
}
I can think of possible other problems, would mind telling me if they are possible?

* the tutorial I used was meant for Slacko 6.3, not 6.3.2
* my tablet is weird, the OS (or BIOS?) is 32-bit, but the processor is x64 (or is that expected?)
* maybe I didn't follow the tutorial correctly? I did not have to mount any .iso image, I just dragged and dropped the files, as I understood from the tutorial

---

EDIT: I've put the puppy_slacko_6.3.2 everywhere I could and it still doesn't work...
at least I found a way of dropping out of the console, so now I can test much faster (before that, I had to wait for the battery to drain, because I could not leave the initial-ramdisk console).

some additional info: the first grub page offers me four options:

* find grub.cfg
* find grub.cfg manually
* reboot
* shutdown

the first option gives me the problem I told you, the second takes me to some console where I'm supposed to specify where grub.cfg is, including the partition. I don't think I know how to follow through it, but I can try -- will it amount to anything?