Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 30 May 2017, 03:44
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Puppy for X86 64bit tablet with 32bit UEFI bios?
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 5 [63 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Insomniacno1

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep 2016, 03:50    Post subject:  

greengeek wrote:
Insomniacno1 wrote:
slacko-6.9.6.1-uefi boots to desktop. But not good working without mouse, here the touchscreen actually works as the mouse but not good, as it is hard to move around and almost impossible to hit anything correct.
Thats great news. It might be worth trying the 32bit version of Slacko 6.3.0.1 from here
I don't know if it can be booted by the same method but if so it will be a great candidate for touchscreen use.

Hi greengeek, isn't that a bit older than the one I'm using now, Slacko 6.9.6.1? http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=108017

Is there a particular reason for using an older version?

JBJ
greengeek

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep 2016, 04:21    Post subject:  

Insomniacno1 wrote:
Hi greengeek, isn't that a bit older than the one I'm using now, Slacko 6.9.6.1? http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=108017

JBJ
In this case yes - the older one is an experimental version which 01micko set up specifically to work with touchscreens. It sounded as if the newer version was giving you trouble with touchscreen accuracy or controllability so it would be an interesting comparison to see if the experimental version is easier to drive with a touchscreen.

Even if it has other issues I think it is worthwhile to see if you get a better touch experience.
Insomniacno1

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep 2016, 05:12    Post subject:  

greengeek wrote:
Insomniacno1 wrote:

JBJ
In this case yes - the older one is an experimental version which 01micko set up specifically to work with touchscreens. It sounded as if the newer version was giving you trouble with touchscreen accuracy or controllability so it would be an interesting comparison to see if the experimental version is easier to drive with a touchscreen.

Even if it has other issues I think it is worthwhile to see if you get a better touch experience.

Cool, I will try it very soon and let you know:)

EDIT: slacko-6.3.0.1.iso booted to prompt like most of the other iso's, I will need a keyboard to set it up, and I don't have that right now.

It would be nice with a bootparameter or built-in to the iso, that bluetooth were enabled by default and accepted connections without pairing code. It that were possible then bluetooth keyboard/mouse could be used immediately.

Any chance someone could make an iso like that?

JBJ
Sailor Enceladus

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep 2016, 08:34    Post subject:  

greengeek wrote:
Insomniacno1 wrote:

JBJ

Isn't 6.9.6.1 the same as 6.3.0.1 if you change the default theme to "Bright Touch" or "Dark Touch" as I posted here?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=925992#925992
Insomniacno1

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep 2016, 10:12    Post subject:  

Sailor Enceladus wrote:

Isn't 6.9.6.1 the same as 6.3.0.1 if you change the default theme to "Bright Touch" or "Dark Touch" as I posted here?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=925992#925992

Well, 6.9.6.1 booted to desktop, the other one didn't - Also, in 6.9.6.1 touch works, just not very good and its hard to navigate to menu. If I had access to my bluetooth keyboard then it would be a different matter.

Something else, still in topic - are there a slacko or tahrpup version with Gnome 3 desktop? Gnome 3 is touch friendly.

Tablet has bluetooth 4.0.
Elena

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep 2016, 13:15    Post subject:  

That's indeed promising news, Insomniacno1! An unused Odys Wintab10 (a gift) is resting in a drawer here too.

How did you manage to access the internal HDD/memory card and format it?
Insomniacno1

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep 2016, 13:41    Post subject:  

Elena wrote:
That's indeed promising news, Insomniacno1! An unused Odys Wintab10 (a gift) is resting in a drawer here too.

How did you manage to access the internal HDD/memory card and format it?

Hi Elena:) I didn't, I'm booting of USB stick. I made the USB from my Peach OSI(xubuntu) laptop.

Don't try to format the hdd and install, you will brick your tablet - because it depends upon the wimboot which is in your recovery partition. Run it of USB instead or figure out to boot it of MicroSD.

Last edited by Insomniacno1 on Tue 04 Oct 2016, 12:58; edited 1 time in total
greengeek

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep 2016, 15:18    Post subject:  

Insomniacno1 wrote:
slacko-6.9.6.1-uefi boots to desktop. But not good working without mouse, here the touchscreen actually works as the mouse but not good, as it is hard to move around and almost impossible to hit anything correct.
What happens when you touch the open space on the desktop? Does your touch "click" the desktop exactly under your finger or is the click point offset?

And if you slide your finger on the desktop does the mouse pointer track at the same speed as your finger or is the pointer lagging behind or accelerating ahead?
Insomniacno1

PostPosted: Fri 30 Sep 2016, 04:18    Post subject:  

greengeek wrote:
Insomniacno1 wrote:
What happens when you touch the open space on the desktop? Does your touch "click" the desktop exactly under your finger or is the click point offset?

And if you slide your finger on the desktop does the mouse pointer track at the same speed as your finger or is the pointer lagging behind or accelerating ahead?

Hi, the touch click(left mouse) is very much off and if I want to click on something then I have to drag the mouse across the screen as I would with a real mouse but its hard to get it to stay in one place because when its in place and I try to click it jumps of to near by my finger but not on where it were to stay, I wouldn't say its lagging behind its just not where its suppose to be. The speed is fine, but it will take an enormous amount of patience to use it as is.

But look at the bright side of this, we finally have a linux that works with this kind of tablet. Now we just have to get touch working as it should, wifi, bluetooth:)
Sailor Enceladus

PostPosted: Fri 30 Sep 2016, 07:50    Post subject:  

Insomniacno1 wrote:
Hi, the touch click(left mouse) is very much off and if I want to click on something then I have to drag the mouse across the screen as I would with a real mouse but its hard to get it to stay in one place because when its in place and I try to click it jumps of to near by my finger but not on where it were to stay, I wouldn't say its lagging behind its just not where its suppose to be. The speed is fine, but it will take an enormous amount of patience to use it as is.

But look at the bright side of this, we finally have a linux that works with this kind of tablet. Now we just have to get touch working as it should, wifi, bluetooth:)

I don't know if this will help, but to turn "tap to click" on with my trackpad, I can go into Menu -> Desktop -> FlSynclient, hit the Tapping tab, then change "One Finger" from Disabled to Left Button. Maybe the touchscreen uses the same option? If wifi doesn't work, you might need a newer driver (or added firmware) than what's in its kernel 4.1.32.
greengeek

PostPosted: Fri 30 Sep 2016, 15:17    Post subject:  

Insomniacno1 wrote:
Hi, the touch click (left mouse) is very much off and if I want to click on something then I have to drag the mouse across the screen as I would with a real mouse but its hard to get it to stay in one place because when its in place and I try to click it jumps of to near by my finger but not on where it were to stay,
OK - that is the same problem I got when I booted 6.9.6.1 on my touch tablet too.

If you have the ability to attach a keyboard (and preferably also mouse) temporarily there is something you can try which will confirm if your hardware can support more accurate touch response:

1) Boot 6.9.6.1 in "fresh" mode - with no savefile (I am assuming you have not yet made a savefile).

2) Close the "firstrun" setup windows that appear.

3) Navigate to your /etc/X11 directory and drag a copy of xorg.conf into the /root directory (this will just be a backup copy)

4) Use a text editor to open the original /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change the line that says
Code:
Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
to
Code:
Option "AutoAddDevices" "true"
then save the changes.

5) Now we want to shutdown to a prompt as follows:
- Click main menu
- Click shutdown
- Click "exit to prompt"

6) When you are presented with the prompt type the following:
xwin

Your should see it reboot back to a desktop and now you should find that the mouse pointer acts exactly where your finger is.

Unfortunately I don't see a way for you to do this test unless you can get a keyboard attached temporarily.
bigpup

PostPosted: Fri 30 Sep 2016, 20:22    Post subject:  

Have you tried to modify the settings in menu->Setup->Mouse/keyboard Wizard->Touchpad?
There are a lot of setting adjustments.

Insomniacno1

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct 2016, 08:08    Post subject:  

greengeek wrote:
Insomniacno1 wrote:
Hi, the touch click (left mouse) is very much off and if I want to click on something then I have to drag the mouse across the screen as I would with a real mouse but its hard to get it to stay in one place because when its in place and I try to click it jumps of to near by my finger but not on where it were to stay,
OK - that is the same problem I got when I booted 6.9.6.1 on my touch tablet too.

If you have the ability to attach a keyboard (and preferably also mouse) temporarily there is something you can try which will confirm if your hardware can support more accurate touch response:

1) Boot 6.9.6.1 in "fresh" mode - with no savefile (I am assuming you have not yet made a savefile).

2) Close the "firstrun" setup windows that appear.

3) Navigate to your /etc/X11 directory and drag a copy of xorg.conf into the /root directory (this will just be a backup copy)

4) Use a text editor to open the original /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change the line that says
Code:
Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
to
Code:
Option "AutoAddDevices" "true"
then save the changes.

5) Now we want to shutdown to a prompt as follows:
- Click main menu
- Click shutdown
- Click "exit to prompt"

6) When you are presented with the prompt type the following:
xwin

Your should see it reboot back to a desktop and now you should find that the mouse pointer acts exactly where your finger is.

Unfortunately I don't see a way for you to do this test unless you can get a keyboard attached temporarily.

Ok, so far so good:) The pointer is now directly under my finger:)

Bigpup you can't do that unless you have an actual touchpad connected.

Now we just have to get Autorotation to work as looking at vertical mode in landscape is kinda frustrating:D

Can someone help with this?

I found out that the wifi is rtl8723bs - are there any drivers for this one or is there a generic one that can be used?

I found out that the bluetooth module is realtek too, seems to be in the same chip as the wifi.
Driver here - just need someone to make a pet.
https://github.com/hadess/rtl8723bs

Rotation, wifi and bluetooth are really important now.

I follwed Eldon's directions from here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=79300

But as you know, I have no internet on the tablet and have to download the pet's on my laptop and then put them on the usb - so I have been chasing them anywhere I could. I have been searching this forum and ibiblio and smokey but the drivers I got did not work.

If I go to network and click on bluetooth, nothing happens.

Maybe realtek firmware is needed or maybe something has been left out of the kernel?

JBJ
noalternative

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct 2016, 23:23    Post subject: Re: Puppy for X86 64bit tablet with 32bit UEFI bios?  

Quote:
[quote="Insomniacno1"]As the subject says, I'm looking for a Puppy that can run from USB on this kind of tablet.

As the owner of an ODYS WinTab 8 with the specs below, I like to know if its possible to boot as live or install to an Windows 8.1 with Bing tablet.

The current windows 8.1 with Bing, is not good on such a small screen and the way ODYS set it up there are only about 3GB free space out of the total of 16GB, because of a 5.12GB recovery partition.

Anyone have a suggestion?

HW:

Yara 1.1 looks like something I would try. I am kind of doing the same thing. It has large icons and finger friendly tabs. It also has an OSX like main desktop so you can pair with a bluetooth keyboard. Whether it works with touchscreen is yet to be determined. Wish developer gave more information about his package set.

http://yara-osx.weebly.com/screenshots.html

http://yara-osx.weebly.com/

A puppy with gnome3 would be good too if you have the specs. I am currently trying gnome ubuntu on my hp x2 10.1 inch.
Insomniacno1

PostPosted: Tue 04 Oct 2016, 04:28    Post subject: Re: Puppy for X86 64bit tablet with 32bit UEFI bios?  

[quote="noalternative"]
Quote:
Insomniacno1 wrote:
As the subject says, I'm looking for a Puppy that can run from USB on this kind of tablet.

As the owner of an ODYS WinTab 8 with the specs below, I like to know if its possible to boot as live or install to an Windows 8.1 with Bing tablet.

The current windows 8.1 with Bing, is not good on such a small screen and the way ODYS set it up there are only about 3GB free space out of the total of 16GB, because of a 5.12GB recovery partition.

Anyone have a suggestion?

HW:

Yara 1.1 looks like something I would try. I am kind of doing the same thing. It has large icons and finger friendly tabs. It also has an OSX like main desktop so you can pair with a bluetooth keyboard. Whether it works with touchscreen is yet to be determined. Wish developer gave more information about his package set.

http://yara-osx.weebly.com/screenshots.html

http://yara-osx.weebly.com/

A puppy with gnome3 would be good too if you have the specs. I am currently trying gnome ubuntu on my hp x2 10.1 inch.

Hi noalternative, then I would rather go with Peach OSI as I run that on my laptop http://www.peachosi.com/ - but we are taliking puppy here and if you read the whole thread, then you will know how far we have come with this project and that touchscreen now works - just need to get wifi, bluetooh and screen rotation to work:)

JBJ
Page 2 of 5 [63 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: