Puppy for X86 64bit tablet with 32bit UEFI bios?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Insomniacno1

#16 Post by Insomniacno1 »

greengeek wrote:
Insomniacno1 wrote:slacko-6.9.6.1-uefi boots to desktop. But not good working without mouse, here the touchscreen actually works as the mouse but not good, as it is hard to move around and almost impossible to hit anything correct.
Thats great news. It might be worth trying the 32bit version of Slacko 6.3.0.1 from here
I don't know if it can be booted by the same method but if so it will be a great candidate for touchscreen use.
Hi greengeek, isn't that a bit older than the one I'm using now, Slacko 6.9.6.1? http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=108017

Is there a particular reason for using an older version?

JBJ

greengeek

#17 Post by greengeek »

Insomniacno1 wrote:Hi greengeek, isn't that a bit older than the one I'm using now, Slacko 6.9.6.1? http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=108017

JBJ
In this case yes - the older one is an experimental version which 01micko set up specifically to work with touchscreens. It sounded as if the newer version was giving you trouble with touchscreen accuracy or controllability so it would be an interesting comparison to see if the experimental version is easier to drive with a touchscreen.

Even if it has other issues I think it is worthwhile to see if you get a better touch experience.

Insomniacno1

#18 Post by Insomniacno1 »

greengeek wrote:
Insomniacno1 wrote:Hi greengeek, isn't that a bit older than the one I'm using now, Slacko 6.9.6.1? http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=108017

JBJ
In this case yes - the older one is an experimental version which 01micko set up specifically to work with touchscreens. It sounded as if the newer version was giving you trouble with touchscreen accuracy or controllability so it would be an interesting comparison to see if the experimental version is easier to drive with a touchscreen.

Even if it has other issues I think it is worthwhile to see if you get a better touch experience.
Cool, I will try it very soon and let you know:)

EDIT: slacko-6.3.0.1.iso booted to prompt like most of the other iso's, I will need a keyboard to set it up, and I don't have that right now.

It would be nice with a bootparameter or built-in to the iso, that bluetooth were enabled by default and accepted connections without pairing code. It that were possible then bluetooth keyboard/mouse could be used immediately.

Any chance someone could make an iso like that?

JBJ

Sailor Enceladus

#19 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

greengeek wrote:

JBJ

Isn't 6.9.6.1 the same as 6.3.0.1 if you change the default theme to "Bright Touch" or "Dark Touch" as I posted here?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=925992#925992

Insomniacno1

#20 Post by Insomniacno1 »

Sailor Enceladus wrote: Isn't 6.9.6.1 the same as 6.3.0.1 if you change the default theme to "Bright Touch" or "Dark Touch" as I posted here?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=925992#925992
Well, 6.9.6.1 booted to desktop, the other one didn't - Also, in 6.9.6.1 touch works, just not very good and its hard to navigate to menu. If I had access to my bluetooth keyboard then it would be a different matter.

Something else, still in topic - are there a slacko or tahrpup version with Gnome 3 desktop? Gnome 3 is touch friendly.

Tablet has bluetooth 4.0.

Elena

#21 Post by Elena »

That's indeed promising news, Insomniacno1! An unused Odys Wintab10 (a gift) is resting in a drawer here too.

How did you manage to access the internal HDD/memory card and format it?

Insomniacno1

#22 Post by Insomniacno1 »

Elena wrote:That's indeed promising news, Insomniacno1! An unused Odys Wintab10 (a gift) is resting in a drawer here too.

How did you manage to access the internal HDD/memory card and format it?
Hi Elena:) I didn't, I'm booting of USB stick. I made the USB from my Peach OSI(xubuntu) laptop.

Don't try to format the hdd and install, you will brick your tablet - because it depends upon the wimboot which is in your recovery partition. Run it of USB instead or figure out to boot it of MicroSD.
Last edited by Insomniacno1 on Tue 04 Oct 2016, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.

greengeek

#23 Post by greengeek »

Insomniacno1 wrote:slacko-6.9.6.1-uefi boots to desktop. But not good working without mouse, here the touchscreen actually works as the mouse but not good, as it is hard to move around and almost impossible to hit anything correct.
What happens when you touch the open space on the desktop? Does your touch "click" the desktop exactly under your finger or is the click point offset?

And if you slide your finger on the desktop does the mouse pointer track at the same speed as your finger or is the pointer lagging behind or accelerating ahead?

Insomniacno1

#24 Post by Insomniacno1 »

greengeek wrote:
What happens when you touch the open space on the desktop? Does your touch "click" the desktop exactly under your finger or is the click point offset?

And if you slide your finger on the desktop does the mouse pointer track at the same speed as your finger or is the pointer lagging behind or accelerating ahead?
Hi, the touch click(left mouse) is very much off and if I want to click on something then I have to drag the mouse across the screen as I would with a real mouse but its hard to get it to stay in one place because when its in place and I try to click it jumps of to near by my finger but not on where it were to stay, I wouldn't say its lagging behind its just not where its suppose to be. The speed is fine, but it will take an enormous amount of patience to use it as is.

But look at the bright side of this, we finally have a linux that works with this kind of tablet. Now we just have to get touch working as it should, wifi, bluetooth:)

Sailor Enceladus

#25 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Insomniacno1 wrote:Hi, the touch click(left mouse) is very much off and if I want to click on something then I have to drag the mouse across the screen as I would with a real mouse but its hard to get it to stay in one place because when its in place and I try to click it jumps of to near by my finger but not on where it were to stay, I wouldn't say its lagging behind its just not where its suppose to be. The speed is fine, but it will take an enormous amount of patience to use it as is.

But look at the bright side of this, we finally have a linux that works with this kind of tablet. Now we just have to get touch working as it should, wifi, bluetooth:)
I don't know if this will help, but to turn "tap to click" on with my trackpad, I can go into Menu -> Desktop -> FlSynclient, hit the Tapping tab, then change "One Finger" from Disabled to Left Button. Maybe the touchscreen uses the same option? If wifi doesn't work, you might need a newer driver (or added firmware) than what's in its kernel 4.1.32.

greengeek

#26 Post by greengeek »

Insomniacno1 wrote:Hi, the touch click (left mouse) is very much off and if I want to click on something then I have to drag the mouse across the screen as I would with a real mouse but its hard to get it to stay in one place because when its in place and I try to click it jumps of to near by my finger but not on where it were to stay,
OK - that is the same problem I got when I booted 6.9.6.1 on my touch tablet too.

If you have the ability to attach a keyboard (and preferably also mouse) temporarily there is something you can try which will confirm if your hardware can support more accurate touch response:

1) Boot 6.9.6.1 in "fresh" mode - with no savefile (I am assuming you have not yet made a savefile).

2) Close the "firstrun" setup windows that appear.

3) Navigate to your /etc/X11 directory and drag a copy of xorg.conf into the /root directory (this will just be a backup copy)

4) Use a text editor to open the original /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change the line that says

Code: Select all

Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
to

Option "AutoAddDevices" "true"
then save the changes.

5) Now we want to shutdown to a prompt as follows:
- Click main menu
- Click shutdown
- Click "exit to prompt"

6) When you are presented with the prompt type the following:
xwin

Your should see it reboot back to a desktop and now you should find that the mouse pointer acts exactly where your finger is.

Unfortunately I don't see a way for you to do this test unless you can get a keyboard attached temporarily.

bigpup

#27 Post by bigpup »

Have you tried to modify the settings in menu->Setup->Mouse/keyboard Wizard->Touchpad?
There are a lot of setting adjustments.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Insomniacno1

#28 Post by Insomniacno1 »

greengeek wrote:
Insomniacno1 wrote:Hi, the touch click (left mouse) is very much off and if I want to click on something then I have to drag the mouse across the screen as I would with a real mouse but its hard to get it to stay in one place because when its in place and I try to click it jumps of to near by my finger but not on where it were to stay,
OK - that is the same problem I got when I booted 6.9.6.1 on my touch tablet too.

If you have the ability to attach a keyboard (and preferably also mouse) temporarily there is something you can try which will confirm if your hardware can support more accurate touch response:

1) Boot 6.9.6.1 in "fresh" mode - with no savefile (I am assuming you have not yet made a savefile).

2) Close the "firstrun" setup windows that appear.

3) Navigate to your /etc/X11 directory and drag a copy of xorg.conf into the /root directory (this will just be a backup copy)

4) Use a text editor to open the original /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change the line that says

Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
to

Option "AutoAddDevices" "true"
then save the changes.

5) Now we want to shutdown to a prompt as follows:
- Click main menu
- Click shutdown
- Click "exit to prompt"

6) When you are presented with the prompt type the following:
xwin

Your should see it reboot back to a desktop and now you should find that the mouse pointer acts exactly where your finger is.

Unfortunately I don't see a way for you to do this test unless you can get a keyboard attached temporarily.
Ok, so far so good:) The pointer is now directly under my finger:)

Bigpup you can't do that unless you have an actual touchpad connected.

Now we just have to get Autorotation to work as looking at vertical mode in landscape is kinda frustrating:D

Can someone help with this?

I found out that the wifi is rtl8723bs - are there any drivers for this one or is there a generic one that can be used?

I found out that the bluetooth module is realtek too, seems to be in the same chip as the wifi.
Driver here - just need someone to make a pet.
https://github.com/hadess/rtl8723bs

Rotation, wifi and bluetooth are really important now.

I follwed Eldon's directions from here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=79300

But as you know, I have no internet on the tablet and have to download the pet's on my laptop and then put them on the usb - so I have been chasing them anywhere I could. I have been searching this forum and ibiblio and smokey but the drivers I got did not work.

If I go to network and click on bluetooth, nothing happens.

Maybe realtek firmware is needed or maybe something has been left out of the kernel?

JBJ

noalternative

Re: Puppy for X86 64bit tablet with 32bit UEFI bios?

#29 Post by noalternative »

Insomniacno1 wrote:As the subject says, I'm looking for a Puppy that can run from USB on this kind of tablet.

As the owner of an ODYS WinTab 8 with the specs below, I like to know if its possible to boot as live or install to an Windows 8.1 with Bing tablet.

The current windows 8.1 with Bing, is not good on such a small screen and the way ODYS set it up there are only about 3GB free space out of the total of 16GB, because of a 5.12GB recovery partition.

Anyone have a suggestion?

HW:
Yara 1.1 looks like something I would try. I am kind of doing the same thing. It has large icons and finger friendly tabs. It also has an OSX like main desktop so you can pair with a bluetooth keyboard. Whether it works with touchscreen is yet to be determined. Wish developer gave more information about his package set.

http://yara-osx.weebly.com/screenshots.html

http://yara-osx.weebly.com/

A puppy with gnome3 would be good too if you have the specs. I am currently trying gnome ubuntu on my hp x2 10.1 inch.

Insomniacno1

#30 Post by Insomniacno1 »

noalternative wrote:
Insomniacno1 wrote:As the subject says, I'm looking for a Puppy that can run from USB on this kind of tablet.

As the owner of an ODYS WinTab 8 with the specs below, I like to know if its possible to boot as live or install to an Windows 8.1 with Bing tablet.

The current windows 8.1 with Bing, is not good on such a small screen and the way ODYS set it up there are only about 3GB free space out of the total of 16GB, because of a 5.12GB recovery partition.

Anyone have a suggestion?

HW:
Yara 1.1 looks like something I would try. I am kind of doing the same thing. It has large icons and finger friendly tabs. It also has an OSX like main desktop so you can pair with a bluetooth keyboard. Whether it works with touchscreen is yet to be determined. Wish developer gave more information about his package set.

http://yara-osx.weebly.com/screenshots.html

http://yara-osx.weebly.com/

A puppy with gnome3 would be good too if you have the specs. I am currently trying gnome ubuntu on my hp x2 10.1 inch.
Hi noalternative, then I would rather go with Peach OSI as I run that on my laptop http://www.peachosi.com/ - but we are taliking puppy here and if you read the whole thread, then you will know how far we have come with this project and that touchscreen now works - just need to get wifi, bluetooh and screen rotation to work:)

JBJ

noalternative

#31 Post by noalternative »

Insomniacno1 wrote: Hi noalternative, then I would rather go with Peach OSI as I run that on my laptop http://www.peachosi.com/ - but we are taliking puppy here and if you read the whole thread, then you will know how far we have come with this project and that touchscreen now works - just need to get wifi, bluetooh and screen rotation to work:)

JBJ
Yara is based on Puppy with Ubuntu tahr compatibility, so you can install debs as well as pets. It is not a clone of osx. It is xfce, which is kind of like a cross between osx and gnome3, and than the mate version is like the old gnome2 and not osx like at all.

The website and his postings here don't give many details so it is easy to be confuse but both are nice distros.

Insomniacno1

#32 Post by Insomniacno1 »

noalternative wrote:
Insomniacno1 wrote: Hi noalternative, then I would rather go with Peach OSI as I run that on my laptop http://www.peachosi.com/ - but we are taliking puppy here and if you read the whole thread, then you will know how far we have come with this project and that touchscreen now works - just need to get wifi, bluetooh and screen rotation to work:)

JBJ
Yara is based on Puppy with Ubuntu tahr compatibility, so you can install debs as well as pets. It is not a clone of osx. It is xfce, which is kind of like a cross between osx and gnome3, and than the mate version is like the old gnome2 and not osx like at all.

The website and his postings here don't give many details so it is easy to be confuse but both are nice distros.
Okay, but it needs to be setup like slacko 6.9.6.1 or it will not boot into the desktop. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=108017

I already failed puppy Tahr, xenial, lxpupsc and numerous others, that only boot to prompt telling that x failed to load and to run xorgwizard. xorgwizard will not work because the screen resolution of 800x1280(not 1280x800 like in windows) or 1280x800 is not on the list on resolutions and this tablet seems not to handle others in linux - in windows 1280x800, 1280x768, 1280x720 and 1024x768 are available.

If I run xorgwizard and choose to use xvesa and 1024x768 and finish, then type xwin I end up in same prompt.

Back to slacko:

I got wifi with external Netgear WG111V2 USB wifi stick(compatible with almost any linux), now I just need find the internal realtek wifi drivers to get that and bluetooth to work.
---------

The adjustment to xorg.conf a few pages back, seems to somehow break slacko so that I can't install .pet's also it seems to drop the usb keyboard. i don't know why, just that it happens right after reboot and I tried several times now with fresh savefile.
-----------

In slacko nothing happens if I change the screen resolution, not even after reboot - it stays on 800x1280 - any fix for this?

xrandr claims that the card can handle 800x1280 min and 800x1280 max - which is not true.
------------

Please help me getting the screen rotated to the left(landscape mode), it's really uncomfortable to look at it as it is now:(
-----------

I attached a screenshot of lsmod - copy and paste does not work in console(I thought that were standard nowadays), I will install lxterminal instead.

JBJ
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(55.43 KiB) Downloaded 1415 times

Insomniacno1

#33 Post by Insomniacno1 »

I contacted 01micko and asked if he could build me a different version with some of the problems fixed, and are now waiting for his version:) So this thread is still alive - keep comming back.

Right now I'm playing around with Ubuntu 16.10 tweaked to be used with Bay trail tablets and here wifi works - sound and bluetooth is not working, neither are rotation.
https://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com/2016 ... 7716313577

But Puppy is the one I want on this tablet.

greengeek

#34 Post by greengeek »

Hi insomniac - have you tried Slacko 6.9.6.3 ? It gives me a great touch experience especially with an enhancement pet that I made for it. Hope it boots on your device.

Insomniacno1

#35 Post by Insomniacno1 »

greengeek wrote:Hi insomniac - have you tried Slacko 6.9.6.3 ? It gives me a great touch experience especially with an enhancement pet that I made for it. Hope it boots on your device.
Hi greengeek, did you get rotation, sound, wi-fi, bluetooth to work on that one?

That is why I'm waiting for 01micko to have time to look at a version for me - and everyone else with this kind of tablet:)

In the meantime I'm trying out other OS's, not to install but to find out how the problems were solved so we can use the solutions for puppy.

Let me be clear, the ultimate goal is to have puppy on this tablet. Not Ubuntu, not android, not phoenix - because the size of the OS matters on devices that can't be upgraded due to manufacturer stupidity.

It would not have been difficult to have made these tablets with RAM/ROM slots, so they could be upgraded. Instead they make them with useless MicroSD card that can't even boot or offer the possibility of installing app's to it, so the internal SD don't get cluthered.

The same goes for netbooks, I don't think I have to explain the stupidity on that topic, other than 2GB RAM max., no CPU socket.

The most important thing is the support, puppy has a large platform and almost any linux forum has someone capable of helping.

I have used puppy for many years on small machines, that were too old or too small(HW) to hold anything else. Most of the time things got to work, these days we have problems with touchscreen, wi-fi, bluetooth, sound because too many manufacturers and not enough open source drivers and sometimes the wrong driver is in the kernel and very hard to get rid of. Rotation still don't work on this tablet with Ubuntu 16.04 or 16.10, because the touchscreen is found as unknown and the graphic driver is found as i915 series - it's not, it's Intel HD graphics 4600.

Sound is not working because Realtek don't provide open source drivers, and the linux drivers on their homepage are useless. Card is found but still no sound and wrong ports added, so sometimes the tablet don't even boot anymore or you can risk blowing your soundchip!

I don't have a clue on how to program, HW repair/OS support is my thing, so I ask the ones much clever than me:)

The linuxium 16.04 has wi-fi and bluetooth working - all the other stuf above, do not work. Breaking my neck looking at it sideways.