8 gig raspberry pi 4

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

8 gig raspberry pi 4

#1 Post by Lobster »

New CPU, faster, more memory ...

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/8gb-ra ... now-at-75/

Who will be testing it? 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

O.F.I.N.S.I.S.

Re: 8 gig raspberry pi 4

#2 Post by O.F.I.N.S.I.S. »

Lobster wrote:New CPU, faster, more memory ...

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/8gb-ra ... now-at-75/

Who will be testing it? 8)
Since I heard of the raspberrypi I was wondering: why would anyone need a computer without all that stuff like a box/case, hard drives etc.pp.?
Our Future Is Not Set In Stone
[url]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyfyaxCNMduwyXlQFRQKhhQ[/url]
[url]https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367[/url]
[b]My own build of Bionic64[/b]

rockedge

#3 Post by rockedge »

some people work with the Pi to set up doorbell cameras and other home automation purposes.

Also the Pi can easily be disguised as something like a book on a bookshelf. This computer hidden in a book looking case let's say is running ZoneMinder a CCTV system & network video recorder for home or business security, Making the system difficult to find or even see while it is doing it's job.

Fan-less and with no hard drive or moving parts it would be hard to find if disguised

Some people like making music some build models some like tinkering with micro computers

Moose On The Loose

#4 Post by Moose On The Loose »

rockedge wrote:some people work with the Pi to set up doorbell cameras and other home automation purposes.

Also the Pi can easily be disguised as something like a book on a bookshelf. This computer hidden in a book looking case let's say is running ZoneMinder a CCTV system & network video recorder for home or business security, Making the system difficult to find or even see while it is doing it's job.

Fan-less and with no hard drive or moving parts it would be hard to find if disguised

Some people like making music some build models some like tinkering with micro computers
Also:
I know someone who used one of the small single board computers to make a controller for the watering of the garden etc. It let him implement some things he could not find in products he could buy.

The "othernet" uses little computers as servers.

Amateur radio folks sometimes make their own systems to track satellites.

Many little computers can be attached to the back of monitors making a very compact computer that uses a real keyboard.

rockedge

#5 Post by rockedge »

I know someone who used one of the small single board computers to make a controller for the watering of the garden etc
Me too! This guy made a garden weeder that works like a big CNC machine or 3D printer. webcam does object recognition and can identify like 30 different weeds and an little robot "arm" does the weed pulling. Also the machine spot waters the plants as needed. Raspberry PI and Arduino boards....

enrique

#6 Post by enrique »

Must important $$$$ The cost of operating it.

A PC may use 100 watts continues, 300watts on peak,

One of this things uses less than 1 watt. I personally use routers that uses 0.05 - 0.1 Watts.

So instead of paying $50 USD a month, you end paying 50 cents a month in electricity?

Moose On The Loose

#7 Post by Moose On The Loose »

enrique wrote:Must important $$$$ The cost of operating it.

A PC may use 100 watts continues, 300watts on peak,

One of this things uses less than 1 watt. I personally use routers that uses 0.05 - 0.1 Watts.

So instead of paying $50 USD a month, you end paying 50 cents a month in electricity?
Also the "no moving parts" thing may have an important few extra points.

A completely fanless etc machine can be sealed up very well so it doesn't gather dust inside.

If folks make FRAM[1] memories in big enough sizes, the Puppy save file could be put into FRAM so that there is no wear effect at all.

[1] Ferroelectric memory check with duckduckgo for more

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

New Raspberry Pi OS update: First 8GB Pi 4, now you get these latest features
Along with the release of the $75 Raspberry Pi 4 with 8GB of memory, the Raspberry Foundation has updated its official operating system, Raspberry Pi OS, formerly known as Raspbian.

wiak

#9 Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote:
I know someone who used one of the small single board computers to make a controller for the watering of the garden etc
Me too! This guy made a garden weeder that works like a big CNC machine or 3D printer. webcam does object recognition and can identify like 30 different weeds and an little robot "arm" does the weed pulling. Also the machine spot waters the plants as needed. Raspberry PI and Arduino boards....
I hope Santa brings me one of these 8G Raspberry Pi's next Christmas. I've never had one, but that's strange really since my start in computing came about because I was an electronic engineer and was in at the early days of micro-processors being introduced into the industry, first with 6502, but more with Z80 and then 8051 microcontroller programming for embedded systems - so programming these and interfacing (electronics) to outside world used to be how I made my living... Of course, that was all assembly language, flashing EPROMs and so on via PC computers, and no high level language capability and no operating system per se at all (just the assembly language based programs being written and compiled for them).

I did make provision for arm devices in WeeDogLinux build scripts design, but incomplete and thus not usable for Raspberry Pi builds until such time, if ever, I have one - anyway, it's up to Santa, I'm busy enough with what I use anyway. But wow, yes, Raspberry Pi specs are incredibly impressive nowadays and so easy thus to use and program for all sort of automated control tasks. Low power requirements is one of the necessities for such activities (especially when battery powered), though of course a simpler microcontroller based board remains best for really efficient (but less flexible) embedded designs.

wiak

EBored

#10 Post by EBored »

How secure is rasberry 8G ?