how to delete personal storage files

Booting, installing, newbie
jjim3630

how to delete personal storage files

#1 Post by jjim3630 »

getting a red pop up warning to resize or delete personal storage files.

have a save folder and cannot resize it

anyone know how to delete files? thanks

backi

#2 Post by backi »

Running out of Space while trying to install ?
Which Distro ?

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

'Jim', I presume? Welcome to 'the kennels'!

Right; 'basics' time.

You may, or may not, know that there are 2 options for your personal storage. The save-file, and the save-folder.

The save-file is of 'fixed' size, but can be enlarged, so long as there is room for it to be enlarged within the partition Puppy is installed to.

The save-folder, on the other hand, is 'elastic'. In other words, it will expand & contract, according to contents, up to the amount of free space in Pup's partition. If you're getting a warning that your save-folder is short on space, this can only mean one thing; Pup's partition is almost full. The only recourse you'll have here is to make the partition itself larger.....unless you create a data partition elsewhere, with a personal data directory inside it, move your 'personal' stuff into that directory, then 'sym-link' that directory back into /root. This would free up a certain amount of space that Pup can then use.

Is that an option for you? And are you certain that you have a save-folder, as opposed to a save-file?

I'm probably correct in assuming that a lot of this is 'going over your head', aren't I? :lol:

-----------------

For future reference, please let us know exactly which Puppy you're running, along with details of your machine's specs; CPU, amount of RAM (this is important with Puppy!), hard drive type & size, and graphics chip (or card). We're not much good with the old crystal ball, y'see.....

Mike. :wink:

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

What specific version of Puppy?

Post the name of the save.
That will tell us if it is a save file or a save folder.

Look at the settings in the web browser you use.
Cache setup.
Clear the cache can free up a lot of space in the save.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

jjim3630

#5 Post by jjim3630 »

Mike Walsh wrote:'Jim', I presume? Welcome to 'the kennels'!

Right; 'basics' time.

You may, or may not, know that there are 2 options for your personal storage. The save-file, and the save-folder.

The save-file is of 'fixed' size, but can be enlarged, so long as there is room for it to be enlarged within the partition Puppy is installed to.

The save-folder, on the other hand, is 'elastic'. In other words, it will expand & contract, according to contents, up to the amount of free space in Pup's partition. If you're getting a warning that your save-folder is short on space, this can only mean one thing; Pup's partition is almost full. The only recourse you'll have here is to make the partition itself larger.....unless you create a data partition elsewhere, with a personal data directory inside it, move your 'personal' stuff into that directory, then 'sym-link' that directory back into /root. This would free up a certain amount of space that Pup can then use.

Is that an option for you? And are you certain that you have a save-folder, as opposed to a save-file?

I'm probably correct in assuming that a lot of this is 'going over your head', aren't I? :lol:

-----------------

For future reference, please let us know exactly which Puppy you're running, along with details of your machine's specs; CPU, amount of RAM (this is important with Puppy!), hard drive type & size, and graphics chip (or card). We're not much good with the old crystal ball, y'see.....

Mike I have a new dell laptop running slacko 6964 and have save folder.

how do I make a sym link? thanks

jjim3630

#6 Post by jjim3630 »

bigpup wrote:What specific version of Puppy?

Post the name of the save.
That will tell us if it is a save file or a save folder.

Look at the settings in the web browser you use.
Cache setup.
Clear the cache can free up a lot of space in the save.
How do I find the name of the save folder? thanks

jjim3630

#7 Post by jjim3630 »

backi wrote:Running out of Space while trying to install ?
Which Distro ?
not trying install running slacko 6964 thanks

jjim3630

#8 Post by jjim3630 »

used gparted to create free space next to puppy partition but when went to increase size of puppy partition gparted wouldn't allow increase.

appreciate any help.

did open save folder with right click and deleted old firefoxs and cleaned catch which helped so thanks it worked

bigpup

#9 Post by bigpup »

The free unallocated space has to be in front of the partition you want to have use it.

I assume you had the drive unmounted when doing this.

A how to on resizing with Gparted.
https://www.howtoforge.com/partitioning_with_gparted
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

jjim3630

#10 Post by jjim3630 »

[quote="bigpup"]The free unallocated space has to be in front of the partition you want to have use it.

https://www.howtoforge.com/partitioning_with_gparted[/quot

thanks bigpup will go back and check if unmounted

Mike Walsh

#11 Post by Mike Walsh »

@Jim:-

Have a good look at bigpup's link, by all means. Also, have a look here:-

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gparted.html

This is one of the most comprehensive guides to gParted I've ever found.....yet written to be very easy-to-understand, even by beginners.

There's a simple reason gParted won't allow you to re-size the partition. Because you're trying to re-size a partition that is in use.....and therefore mounted. gParted can only work with un-mounted partitions. From this, you can see that you can only re-size Pup's partition from outside of Pup itself.....and the best way to do this is from a second Puppy, running from either a LiveCD or a USB install.

----------------------------------

Unless you've already got stuff on your Pup that you really don't want to lose, it might be easier to start again, this time creating 2 partitions; one for Pup itself, of, say, 4-6 GB (this will be simply for Puppy, installed programs and configurations, settings, etc).....and a second one, for your personal data. This has two advantages; if you ever want to try a second Puppy (they are quite addictive!), you can access your personal stuff from either one.....and, secondly, if you want to delete a Pup at any stage, you can do so without touching your personal data.

Any directories (folders, in Winspeak) can be sym-linked into each Pup's /root folder for easy access. This is how many of us do things.

Your decision, of course.....but whatever you decide to do, never be afraid to ask questions. We're a very friendly, easy-going community, and we like to make sure everyone gets maximum enjoyment from Pup.

Easiest if you start a separate thread for each question, though; it gets a wee bit confusing otherwise!

jjim3630

#12 Post by jjim3630 »

jjim3630 wrote:
bigpup wrote:The free unallocated space has to be in front of the partition you want to have use it.

https://www.howtoforge.com/partitioning_with_gparted[/quot

thanks bigpup will go back and check if unmounted
bigpup got it unmount and resized thanks for the help

jjim3630

#13 Post by jjim3630 »

Mike Walsh wrote:@Jim:-

Have a good look at bigpup's link, by all means. Also, have a look here:-

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gparted.html

This is one of the most comprehensive guides to gParted I've ever found.....yet written to be very easy-to-understand, even by beginners.

There's a simple reason gParted won't allow you to re-size the partition. Because you're trying to re-size a partition that is in use.....and therefore mounted. gParted can only work with un-mounted partitions. From this, you can see that you can only re-size Pup's partition from outside of Pup itself.....and the best way to do this is from a second Puppy, running from either a LiveCD or a USB install.

----------------------------------

Unless you've already got stuff on your Pup that you really don't want to lose, it might be easier to start again, this time creating 2 partitions; one for Pup itself, of, say, 4-6 GB (this will be simply for Puppy, installed programs and configurations, settings, etc).....and a second one, for your personal data. This has two advantages; if you ever want to try a second Puppy (they are quite addictive!), you can access your personal stuff from either one.....and, secondly, if you want to delete a Pup at any stage, you can do so without touching your personal data.

Any directories (folders, in Winspeak) can be sym-linked into each Pup's /root folder for easy access. This is how many of us do things.

Your decision, of course.....but whatever you decide to do, never be afraid to ask questions. We're a very friendly, easy-going community, and we like to make sure everyone gets maximum enjoyment from Pup.

Easiest if you start a separate thread for each question, though; it gets a wee bit confusing otherwise!

thanks Mike I have 2 partitions already and got the one resized so thanks again