apt-get : command not found

Booting, installing, newbie
Semme

#16 Post by Semme »

Hey, no brown-nosing Sailor mate.. Peeps in the community here have been heavily ridiculed for such activity. :D:lol::wink:
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Mike Walsh

#17 Post by Mike Walsh »

Semme wrote:Hey, no brown-nosing Sailor mate.. Peeps in the community here have been heavily ridiculed for such activity. :D :lol: :wink:
:lol:
Semme wrote:Spot on Mr. Walsh, Sir -- Bravo!
What were you just saying, Semme? :lol:
Sailor Enceladus wrote:Mike Walsh, I agree completely with everything you've said :lol:
I don't know as I'm right about everything, Sailor.....but it's like, you can't help noticing some of these huge discrepancies, the more time you spend in the Linux world.

I mean, okay; Pup takes a bit of getting used to, but when all's said and done, she's pretty easy to get along with, really.....

I guess 'familiarity breeding contempt' might have some bearing on this... :lol:

Mike. :wink:

dancytron

#18 Post by dancytron »

passenger237 wrote:
Mike Walsh wrote:
Smokey, I think the OP is after something along the lines of

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist upgrade
...where the entire OS is simultaneously updated, every little piece of it.
Close but not quite.

I was thinking to update the system and then using Puppy's how to, to miigrate to Devuan to get away from systemd. But without a command line update ability, the miigration might not be possible.
/snip
Puppy doesn't use systemd, so you don't need to do anything to it to migrate away from systemd. It actually uses busybox with its own init scripts.

Semme

#19 Post by Semme »

Hey Mike dude.. The OP's sit'in back enjoy'in the show. That's right Pass boy, Pup ain't no steenking Ubuntu, and it sure as heck ain't no Slack. It's beauty lies in doing what the big boyz don't, and fast as greased poop @ that! :mrgreen:
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

tlchost

#20 Post by tlchost »

Semme wrote: and fast as greased poop @ that! :mrgreen:
And it doesn't get bogged down with techno-babble...

Semme

#21 Post by Semme »

Correct! Like an obedient best friend, Pup doesn't get in your way. :cool:

s243a

#22 Post by s243a »

Semme wrote:Hey Mike dude.. The OP's sit'in back enjoy'in the show. That's right Pass boy, Pup ain't no steenking Ubuntu, and it sure as heck ain't no Slack. It's beauty lies in doing what the big boyz don't, and fast as greased poop @ that! :mrgreen:
I thought you provided it in emsee ultra. Anyway there is some info lying around on debianization
http://www.pearltrees.com/s243a/debiani ... id12431120

so if anyone want's it bad enough it is possible. Alternatively someone could write a wrapper script around petget.
What would be helpfull to the original poster is tipps around how to add repositories to the puppy package manager.
Last edited by s243a on Fri 09 Sep 2016, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.

Semme

#23 Post by Semme »

Yo Mac, that's "Stemsee!" And please, don't be so politically correct Mate. We're try'in to have some fun widdis..

soniabu

apt-get not found

#24 Post by soniabu »

HI all.
I understand that there is no apt-get command but I have to use the PPM, but I should install the Avidemux sw on my xenialpup64 7.5.
I can not find it on the Puppy Manager list, so how can I fix it if I can not even use apt-get?
If anyone could help me, I will be grateful.
sonia

dancytron

Re: apt-get not found

#25 Post by dancytron »

soniabu wrote:HI all.
I understand that there is no apt-get command but I have to use the PPM, but I should install the Avidemux sw on my xenialpup64 7.5.
I can not find it on the Puppy Manager list, so how can I fix it if I can not even use apt-get?
If anyone could help me, I will be grateful.
sonia
Apparently Ubuntu has removed it. See https://askubuntu.com/questions/763846/ ... repository
and https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/xenial/+package/avidemux

So you couldn't get it with apt-get either.

The first link has some places where there are versions that might work. . .

soniabu

#26 Post by soniabu »

thanks for your answer; but I also answered myself, I will use other programs that are in the PPM.
thx again
sonia

Mike Walsh

#27 Post by Mike Walsh »

@soniabu:-

If you really want Avidemux, give Patriot's 'All-in-one' .pet package a try. The thread is here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=46221

.....although the links for it are dead. However, you can find the Avidemux 2.5.2 AIO .pet package here, at my MediaFire a/c:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/g13bbp5wn ... 2-i486.pet

Despite being almost 9 yrs old, I've yet to find a Puppy this won't run in, due to being a completely self-contained package, with absolutely everything required for it to run.....and the choice of either GTK+ or Qt4 interfaces.

Hope that helps!

Mike. :wink: