Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 28 May 2017, 18:31
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Quirky Xerus 8.1.4 for Raspberry Pi2 and 3
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 42 of 44 [648 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 Next
amj

PostPosted: Thu 09 Mar 2017, 15:35    Post subject:  

In my opinion fd-arm is considerably inferior to QX814. Credit to Don570 for doing a good job on packaging it and making it easy to install.

Having a save file is a pain. Installing to a partition is much better.

fd-arm was designed for a specific purpose - to run on hand-held devices. I trust it does that job well. But the original purpose of fd-arm and RPi are not a good match. If I remember rightly you can't swap the mouse buttons over on fd-arm. For a hand-held device that's irrelevant functionality. It was designed to be a largely closed system and it's not compatable with any major repository.
don570

PostPosted: Sat 11 Mar 2017, 14:56    Post subject:  

Berryboot has a special version of Quirky Xerus 8.1.4 for Raspberry Pi2 and 3 available.

I downloaded and will test it this weekend.
http://berryboot.alexgoldcheidt.com/download/126/

Berryboot install instructions
don570

PostPosted: Mon 13 Mar 2017, 12:49    Post subject:  

Tested and it works fine.
Some notes:
There is a good assortment of wifi drivers preinstalled.
Samba is preinstalled so a connection to a windows server can be created quickly.
DropBear isn't installed by default. But it is easy to install.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky6/armv7/packages/pet_packages-xerus/dropbear-2016.74-xerus-armv7.pet

Here are instructions
https://www.howtogeek.com/141325/how-to-multi-boot-your-raspberry-pi-with-berryboot/

If you are installing from a Thumb drive...

You must decompress the .tar.gz file first to create the img file.

To add the operating system to your card, you must hold down the icon
labelled 'Add OS' and then you select your img file located on the thumb drive.

config.txt is automatically created from the berryboot config.txt file.
It is easy to modify if you wish.
 Viewed   742 Time(s)

Add OS  icon.jpg

TeX Dog

PostPosted: Mon 13 Mar 2017, 15:10    Post subject:  

don570 wrote:
Berryboot has a special version of Quirky Xerus 8.1.4 for Raspberry Pi2 and 3 available.

I downloaded and will test it this weekend.
http://berryboot.alexgoldcheidt.com/download/126/

Berryboot install instructions

Dang Don can I best you at anything. Found out about this a few days ago and testing its limits. Very solid and fast ( as fast as full install)

Its like old school Puppylinux sfs main file < as Alex states recompressed SFS for speed of decode then xz compresses that image > with new save folder idea in a EXT4 full sized single partition not the horrible divide into many like before.

After xz decompression the QX814 image is right at 500M
BerryBoot has its own lookup timer function so best to leave the QX set time function unchecked at QX main firstrun setup.

The BBoot Kernel works great so far no issues, also holds promise that CEC, BlueTooth keyboards, and a few other not fully finished in QX814 could be made functional Wink

I am running on a USB hardrive and BerryBoot it did reformat it completely, but I copied files to a different USB harddrive and changed the config.txt file to point to the correct EXT4 and all did fine ( no forced reformat ), so if you want to run QX814 and the many dozen more images offered with an existing USB harddrive, format a spare- usbflash first and copy install.

Good or bad BBoot doesnot hide or lock the layered drives data so becarefull snooping about.

also pro-tip the .img files are same as our .sfs renaming image files to .sfs allows QX814 to snoop into other 'donor' OSs
TeX Dog

PostPosted: Wed 15 Mar 2017, 00:15    Post subject:  

new added stuff with berryboots kernel ( added temp and lightingbolt )
did not know what device was placing a yellow bolt of lighting in upper right part of screen. was using new BBoot and media OS with that projector that has caused issues before. Turns out the newer kernels have updated firmware to change the confusing square power/temp onscreen with real useful icons. Also found out that there is a feedback on HDMI for its 5v level. The Projector and a long power line to RPi2B+ was causing low power conditions.
Also learned that you can control HDMI power feeds and sdcard speeds, Wink looks like fun ahead.

Downloading PixelOS image to test next. Should be able to test my Pi3 tomorrow left it, expecting to return, a week of rains kept me from getting back to it.

There is a version for PCs as well, may try that.
TeX Dog

PostPosted: Sat 18 Mar 2017, 14:11    Post subject:  

Not impressed with Jessie-PIXEL. Does look nice IF your system doesn't have overscan. My first test HDMI TV (first gen, actual CRT tube type) has extreme overscan due to age/technology use.
Could not see menubar at all and the menu with mouse click did not offer a path for a fix. Background graphic I could change, why a lonely blacktop road with a thunderstorm on the horizon was its default I never can tell, but the 'guy' who made the choice needs some serious counseling. The Symbology alone is unsettling but also foretelling, First Blush it looks nice 'clean new road' nice hills, but also that distant storm already over the road. Pixel looks nice, but offers less useful GUI, no default icon 'run' programs for the stuff I had on the test disk, no root,sudo or method that sticks to change permissions.
Horrible video playback, alpha blend methods removed (acts more like this QX814, then past versions without Pixel ) did not even have ffmpeg or the forked renamed version.
QX814 has multiple options for video, that only jittery webbrowser <its suppost to be the best > and omxplayer and it still preformed worse same everything else, verses the version on QX814.
I am going to snag some nice desktop backgrounds from PIXEL and call the review over.

SHORT VERSON: stick with QX its still better then the others newest 'best'
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 18 Mar 2017, 21:05    Post subject:  

Right now I am compiling SeaMonkey 2.46 on the Pi3, running Quirky Xerus 8.1.4.

It has been chugging along for about 20 minutes, but many hours to go...

Just a little note, I plan to get Easy Linux running on the Pi2 and Pi3.
Same Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus 64-bit DEBs as in Quirky 8.1.4, but Easy uses the layered filesystem, and has "q.sfs" with all of the filesystem in it -- like in Puppy.

However, there is no "save file", which I consider to be too much of a hassle. You can read how Easy works here:

http://barryk.org/easy/how-easy-works.htm

EDIT:
Finally got there: http://barryk.org/news/?viewDetailed=00518

Last edited by BarryK on Mon 20 Mar 2017, 21:25; edited 1 time in total
don570

PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar 2017, 19:26    Post subject:  

Note to Barry..

Don't forget to include 'Dropbear' for SSH clone

PostPosted: Thu 23 Mar 2017, 08:42    Post subject:  

1. Using THIS POST for guidance...
a. I did all of the necessary to extract the berryboot files to my 32GB mmc, 1 partition formatted as FAT32.
b. Put it correctly into my RPi2 mobo [I put it in squint once], [it's connected to my newly swapped-in Virgin Hub 3.0 using 2 "Devolo Powerline Adapters"].
c. Powered it on, and did all the necessary.
d. Chose to install both Raspbian and OpenELEC, with OpenELEC as default.
The necessary files were auto-downloaded from the internet, and the OS's installed [NICE Very Happy ].
e. Eventually managed to get Kody to work [NICE Very Happy, stuff is BIG in Kody Very Happy , so it can be read on my 32-inch Sony Bravia smart TV from 12-feet away].

So...
2. What should I do to additionally install the "special version of Quirky Xerus 8.1.4".
I don't see it offered on the berryboot "Add OS" window.
Perhaps I need to look at that again.
don570

PostPosted: Thu 23 Mar 2017, 16:19    Post subject:  

The way I do it ....

Download...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/berryboot-updated-images/files/quirky_xerus_8.1.4_rpi2_rpi3_2016.12.13_berryboot.img.tar.xz/download

Then decompress to get the img file.

I put it on a thumb drive and stick it in my raspberry pi 2.

The Pressing on 'Add OS ' icon should show img file if you wait for 10-15 seconds. (It's slow to show thumb drive contents Crying or Very sad )

PostPosted: Thu 23 Mar 2017, 16:35    Post subject: uncompress command example from berryboot homepage  

don570's way of doing it is how you "side load" an image downloaded from here: (The Latest Quirky Xerus 8.1.4 is in the list.)
http://berryboot.alexgoldcheidt.com/images/

decompress command example from berryboot homepage:
Code:
tar -xf name-of-the-image.img.tar.xz

How to install os images:
http://berryboot.alexgoldcheidt.com/how-to-install-os-images/
Sylvander

PostPosted: Thu 23 Mar 2017, 19:21    Post subject:  

don570 wrote:
I put it on a thumb drive and stick it in my raspberry pi 2.

The Pressing on 'Add OS ' icon should show img file if you wait for 10-15 seconds. (It's slow to show thumb drive contents Crying or Very sad )

When I do this, to install the Puppy OS, will it copy the contents of the image [held in the .img file] to the mmc [micro memory card?]
And can I then dispense with the use of the USB Flash Drive?

I may find time to try it before you reply. Smile
So far I've extracted the img to a single partition formatted FAT32, on a spare Flash Drive.
Tried booting the RPi2 with the Flash Drive and mmc both in place, and they work as they aught.
Quirky Xerus 8.1.4 installed, rebooted and the newly installed Puppy booted OK. rebooted again without the Flash Drive and the Puppy still booted OK.
All good. Very Happy
don570

PostPosted: Mon 27 Mar 2017, 15:46    Post subject:  

Quote:
When I do this, to install the Puppy OS, will it copy the contents of the image [held in the .img file] to the mmc [micro memory card?]
And can I then dispense with the use of the USB Flash Drive

Yes! The purpose of berryboot is to install several OS's on one card.
After you install there will be a list of OS's when you boot up
and you choose the OS you want.

There is a modification that allows part of the OS to installed on a thumb drive but that isn't too useful.
Sylvander

PostPosted: Mon 27 Mar 2017, 21:22    Post subject:  

My RPi2 appears to have no led indicating when it's powered on. Sad Confused

Any thoughts?
Sage

PostPosted: Tue 28 Mar 2017, 04:42    Post subject:  

Quote:
Any thoughts?

Insufficient power? Incorrect USB connection/hub design? SD card not pushed home? Incompatible HDMI arrangement? - are just a few of the issues I've encountered!
Try powering it from pins 4 & 6 on the GPIO with an independent old AT or ATX PSU - you can use the small Molex(for FDD) directly if you unhook the 12V (yellow) and adjacent 0V (black) leads. [let me know if you need a dozen or so, but it may be easier & quicker to lift one from your roadside skip.]
Disconnect your USB hub - only USB2/3 ones work and if you try to power them (not necessary with RPi2) you can get conflicts. When/if reconnecting later after fault discovered be sure to connect board microUSB via the USB-B on hub and not one of the USB-A slots.
Use an HDMI - VGA adapter in the first instance as not all nativeHDMI s on TVs and monitors are compatible - or their leads. There may be nothing you can do about that.
There are plenty more possible issues including you've blown it, blown a fuse, bad cable, you-name-it.
Either way, please be sure to report back when you sort it so that it will help legions of others struggling ...

Last edited by Sage on Tue 28 Mar 2017, 10:12; edited 1 time in total
Page 42 of 44 [648 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: