Slacko32/64 700 BETA 2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mavrothal

#46 Post by mavrothal »

Couldn't help it and played a bit more with it. :D
I often boot from a CD/Image and have savefiles/folder in a partition.
So far puppies could find the savefile automatically.
Not anymore.
You now need to define psave (and realize that you need to "tab" to pass any kernel arguments).

Puppy boot arguments where there mostly to help when boot without user input was failing or speed up/customize things.
Would be nice to remain user/nooby friendly and not follow fatdog, debiandog, porteus, tinycore (all of which I very much like) and other more "involved" mini/frugal OSs.

BTW if anyone needs the broadcom wl driver for 4.1.31 x86_64, is here
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

smokey01

#47 Post by smokey01 »

I can confirm the zarfy -l switch works. When zarfy is run it creates a config file in /root./zarfy The -l switch forces it to be read. By placing "zarfy -l" in .xinitrc it works fine. I guess placing a script with the contents "zarfy -l" in /root/startup would work equally as well but you you might see the screens change as scripts in startup are run after .xinitrc, I think.

gyro

#48 Post by gyro »

mavrothal wrote:Couldn't help it and played a bit more with it. :D
Not anymore.
It should automatically find them in the root of the partition. On a cd boot It will look for /slacko64save... (since PSUBDIR is empty.)
mavrothal wrote:(and realize that you need to "tab" to pass any kernel arguments).
I don't understand what this means.

gyro

gyro

#49 Post by gyro »

A new debug version of the init script is attached.
A new debug version of the initrd.gz has been uploaded to the same place as the previous version.

The only change is the inclusion of debug messages inside the search loop. So if a search is done, it can easily be seen which partitions it looked at.

Edit: Attachment deleted, replaced by new version, see later post.

gyro
Last edited by gyro on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 17:28, edited 2 times in total.

mavrothal

#50 Post by mavrothal »

gyro wrote:
mavrothal wrote:Couldn't help it and played a bit more with it. :D
Not anymore.
It should automatically find them in the root of the partition. On a cd boot It will look for /slacko64save... (since PSUBDIR is empty.)
The savefolder is at the root of the partition. The partition is detected according to the logs but it does not load.
Good to know that is a bug rather than design change, though.
gyro wrote:
mavrothal wrote:(and realize that you need to "tab" to pass any kernel arguments).
I don't understand what this means.

gyro
Not an init issue.
It has to do with how you pass arguments now with the UEFI/Grub bootloader.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

gyro

#51 Post by gyro »

mavrothal wrote:The savefolder is at the root of the partition. The partition is detected according to the logs but it does not load.
Could you please use the debug init, boot "pdebug=y" and post the contents of /initrd/tmp/bootinit.log in the running system, here. It would be interesting to see if the debug stuff is actually useful.

Hmmm.. you are using a uefi boot then, could you try a non uefi boot? (Yes I know, clutching at straws.)

gyro

mavrothal

#52 Post by mavrothal »

gyro wrote:
mavrothal wrote:The savefolder is at the root of the partition. The partition is detected according to the logs but it does not load.
Could you please use the debug init, boot "pdebug=y" and post the contents of /initrd/tmp/bootinit.log in the running system, here. It would be interesting to see if the debug stuff is actually useful.
I'm afraid I do not have the time to rebuild/burn the ISO. Maybe Mick will get 6.9.6 out soon
gyro wrote:Hmmm.. you are using a uefi boot then, could you try a non uefi boot? (Yes I know, clutching at straws.)

gyro
No. Actually both uefi and non-uefi booting from a CD/image fail to see the savefolder

gyro

#53 Post by gyro »

mavrothal wrote:Maybe Mick will get 6.9.6 out soon.
I hope not too soon, the debug stuff has not been pushed to woof-ce yet.
I was rather hoping for at least 1 run in a real problem situation before pushing.

But such is life.

@01micko, could you please let me know before you start a new build, I would like to have at least some form of the debug code included.

gyro

gyro

#54 Post by gyro »

For more information about the new init, please see this thread http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107178
And in particular this recent post http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 8&start=79

gyro

Sailor Enceladus

#55 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Slacko64 6.9.5 (and 32) with the newer rationalize init has always been working well on ext4 partitions on hard drive for me.

gyro

#56 Post by gyro »

I was able to reproduce mavrothal's problem and fix it.

@01micko,
The ploblem is that the iso does not have a "pmedia=cd" parameter on it's boot command.
The new init depends on the presence of "pmedia=cd" to tell it to look for a savefolder and not assume that it will be in the same directory as the puppy...sfs.
A new iso with "pmedia=cd" and updated initrd.gz with latest pdebug code shows a correct boot, finding the savefolder.

I would welcome a solution for init to find out what device it has been booted off, without depending on puppy boot parameters.

@Sailor Enceladus,
Glad to hear that.

gyro
Last edited by gyro on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.

gyro

#57 Post by gyro »

A new debug version of the init script is attached.
A new debug version of the initrd.gz has been uploaded to the same place as the previous version.
This version has been pushed to woof-ce rationalise.

It no longer has any dropout points, it just produces messages, but an improved set.

gyro
Attachments
init.gz
gunzip to produce init script
(13.47 KiB) Downloaded 112 times

gyro

#58 Post by gyro »

Just in case anyone is interested, here is the debug output in /initrd/tmp/bootinit.log from a successful boot from cd.

Code: Select all

0: PMEDIA=cd PDRV= PSUBDIR= pfix=
1: PDRV= P_BP_ID= P_BP_FN=
2: LOOK_PUP=yes LOOK_SAVE=yes PMEDIA=cd
3: filename=/slacko64save
3: PSUBDIR= P_BP_FN= P_DEF_FN=puppy_slacko64_6.9.5.sfs
4: ONE_PART=sda1
4: ONE_PART=sda2
4: ONE_PART=sda3
4: ONE_PART=sda4
4: ONE_PART=sdb1
4: ONE_PART=sdb2
4: ONE_PART=sdb3
4: ONE_PART=sdb4
5: ONE_PART=sdb4 filename=/slacko64save
4: ONE_PART=sr0
5: ONE_PART=sr0 PSUBDIR= P_BP_FN= P_DEF_FN=puppy_slacko64_6.9.5.sfs
6: ONE_PART=sr0 ONE_TRY_FN=/puppy_slacko64_6.9.5.sfs PDRV=sr0,iso9660,/puppy_slacko64_6.9.5.sfs
The "2:" line tells us that we were booted with "pmedia=cd" so searching for a savefolder is enabled.
The "3:" lines tell us the files we are searching for.
The "4:" lines tell us what partitions it has looked in.
The "5:" lines indicate successful location of the files.
The "6:" line indicates that we have successfully found a PDRV and we are ready to go.

gyro

01micko

#59 Post by 01micko »

re: zarfy

I'll make a petbuild for zarfy and include it in the next build (maybe sunday in delta format).

Probably a line in /usr/sbin/delayedrun could solve the zarfy startup problem.

[ -f "$HOME/.zarfy" ] && zarfy -l
Or, add an autostart .desktop file so it starts when JWM starts, which is earlier than delayedrun.

Qemu is broken too. I rebuilt it last night and will upload a new version soon.

I'll use slackware's version of util-linux re the lvm problem reported by Sailor.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

zigbert

#60 Post by zigbert »

Mick
If building from the rationalise branch, could you merge with testing branch to include pMusic 5.1.4? I would be happy to test 5.1.4 in a build.

gcmartin

2 problems on a pristine booted 7a1 Slacko64 - Video SOLVED!

#61 Post by gcmartin »

I'm having 2 issues with S64-7a1.
  1. (Solved: explained here)One is a video issue where the screens map exceeds the screen's view (which is listed as 1920X1080 on both LG TVs)
  2. AND the other a sound problem where I am clueless in using the wizard as the screen options are too varied and dont lead to a solution.
The following pictures show both the video problem AND the audio problem screens.

The video is suppose to show this (taken from a screen capture)

BUT, this is all I see

So I ask for some guidance in either of these 2 problems.
  • Video: Is there an option to reduce the screen map by 1-2%?Yes, this is a TV option setting in Picture on LG smart TVs. Changed to Cinema and immediately visible.
  • Audio: Is there some way to test individual options in real time to figure the path the OS wants to use to get to the TV's speakers via the HDMI port?
Or any other paths/ideas you recommend will be tested and reported back.

Thanks in advance
Edited: Showing that the video problem is solved
Last edited by gcmartin on Fri 02 Sep 2016, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#62 Post by 01micko »

zigbert wrote:Mick
If building from the rationalise branch, could you merge with testing branch to include pMusic 5.1.4? I would be happy to test 5.1.4 in a build.
It isn't ready to be merged yet in case 666philb wants to release somthing stable soon, but I suppose it can be cherry picked as long as we keep track of pmusic developments.

Alternatively, we can use a DOT PET to save merge issues.

---

@ gcmartin.. I am attaching a zarfy package. Please try it to see if resolution issues are resolved on screen. For sound issues, maybe @jlist can address that problem but he will want logs (IIRC there are some sound logs in /tmp)

EDIT: I re-read your post and you are using a TV. Try some of the TV settings as I have seen this before with the arm devices thru HDMI. It is known as 'overscan' (or is it underscan'? Well one of those :) )

-----

@all - the attached zarfy has a startup file in /root/.config/autostart. If there is a /root/.zarfy dir then zarfy -l gets run at X startup.
Attachments
zarfy-0.1.0-x86_64_s700.pet
(44.9 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
Last edited by 01micko on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 23:17, edited 2 times in total.

01micko

#63 Post by 01micko »

@gyro..

How can we find programatically out what intel chips need this in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

Section "Device" 
   Identifier  "Intel Graphics" 
   Driver      "intel" 
   Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa" 
EndSection
:?:

EDIT: or if not, maybe a button in quicksetup if intel is detected and the user has a poor display that creates the file and prompts an X restart?

jlst

#64 Post by jlst »

there is "report-video chip" which uses lspci. but if there are 2 graphics cards, it will list both i guess. It provides good info.

if $(report-video driver) = intel, then ask the user if they want to use a special config file for intel graphics

smokey01

#65 Post by smokey01 »

Here is a solution without using zarfy. All it does is swap the monitors, nothing else.

#!/bin/sh
# Written by smokey01
# 01 September 2016
# It requires xrandr 1.5 or later

[ -z $GTKDIALOG ] && GTKDIALOG=gtkdialog

# This creates a list of your connected monitors
xrandr --listmonitors | awk '{print $NF}' | tail -n +2 > /tmp/list

# This generates a combobox list of monitors 
MONITORS="<item>$monitor</item>"
for I in $(cat /tmp/list) ; do MONITORS=`echo "$MONITORS<item>$I</item>"`; done

# This is the function that swaps the monitors and saves the results in /root/Startup/setmonitors
SWAP () {
	xrandr --output $MONITOR0 --auto --output $MONITOR1 --auto --right-of $MONITOR0
	echo xrandr --output $MONITOR0 --auto --output $MONITOR1 --auto --right-of $MONITOR0 > /root/Startup/setmonitors
	chmod 755 /root/Startup/setmonitors
}
export -f SWAP

MAIN_DIALOG='
<window icon-name="gtk-preferences" title="Swap Monitors" width-request="215">
	<vbox>
		<hbox>
			<combobox width-request="100" tooltip-text="Select Left Monitor">
				<variable>MONITOR0</variable>
				'$MONITORS'
			</combobox>
			<combobox width-request="100" tooltip-text="Select Right Monitor">