Slacko32/64 700 BETA 2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Jades

#286 Post by Jades »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:
jlst wrote:Regarding the puppy saves, you have your stuff hidden somewhere. do you use the PSUBDIR boot param?
This is a new thing. It doesn't look in the subdirectories in all partitions unless you specify
where, to save time for those (most?) who don't want it to search everywhere, I think.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107178
I normally just boot off the CD without entering any boot params and wasn't aware of the changes listed in the post you've linked to (I've only recently returned to Puppy testing so am still a little out of the loop). To be honest I've never really had any problems with waiting for it searching for the files, the only occasions where it causes a significant delay are when I've forgotten to eject a floppy disk.

IIRC Puppy knows how it's booted, would it be possible for it to detect it's booted from a CD and search one directory deep (thus finding my files) in that instance? I know that on a typical Frugal or Full one has usually told the system where the files are in menu.lst (for example).
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

gcmartin

Slacko64-v7a3 testing

#287 Post by gcmartin »

Boots via DVD without issues to a BIOS 64bit non-touch PC. Must commend the author for the latest Utility to add JAVA to the running system. Excellent, straight-forward, easily understood.

SAMBA SSM clearly sets up folders for sharing content with other Home devices.

ON this BIOS system, no real issues, thus far. On pristine boot, video, audio, keyboard, firewall, wired-network, all working without issues. Thanks to all on this alpha3's current progress.

This system is "really" a VERY USER FRIENDLY PUP distro. It demonstrates how far PUPPY LInux has come in making it so easy for users to use, understand as well as to extend its ability to integrate within the home.

Have seen an issue with the current pBurn when complete blanking a disc. (This has been reported on another thread). And, there seems to be a minor issue with its buffering as noted in the progress screen.

Next test is to start KVM (QEMU) to use for booting-testing PUP ISO/IMG(s).

Update1:ROX icon issue; not showing green indicator f/mounted CIF resource. I have a mount of a LAN resource mounted at /mnt/TV/Download. Although the green indicator doesn't show, the folder is populated as it should be. Low priority as all functions well.

Update2: PPM issue 1 In preparation for QEMU's addition to the pristine system, I Used the PPM to config itself. When it updated, it ran into issues as noted in the last screen, below. Not sure what to make of the Update error shown in the Update Progress file attached below.
ImageImage

Update3: PPM issue 2 Searched for QEMU. PPM shows 3 items: V2.6 available (Salix), V2.4 available and the QEMU Control Center (none of which is showing "Installed"). I selected V2.6 only. After successful completion, the PPM screen now shows V2.4 AND V2.4 INSTALLED.Image
I NEVER selected V2.4. Confusing is the issue in this update. Low priority assuming all functions well.

...................................................................................
Report, below, applies to Update2, above
Attachments
PPMupdateError.txt.fake.gz
Remove the "FAKE" extension and review the last few lines of the PPM update report.
(4 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
Last edited by gcmartin on Wed 21 Sep 2016, 21:31, edited 3 times in total.

zigbert

#288 Post by zigbert »

Info in usr/share/doc/home.htm is somewhat outdated, isn't it.

Actually, many of the Puppy pages in /usr/share/doc should have been updated. Maybe a task for someone with the liking of written words...

zigbert

#289 Post by zigbert »

gcmartin
Did you follow the instructions on your screenshot? Did you reload the disc before verifying? I can't see any unusual with the screenshot.

Sailor Enceladus

#290 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

zigbert wrote:Info in usr/share/doc/home.htm is somewhat outdated, isn't it.

Actually, many of the Puppy pages in /usr/share/doc should have been updated. Maybe a task for someone with the liking of written words...
I tried making a wi-fi page for "How to get on the Internet" once, maybe someone can do better? :lol:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=916955#916955

gcmartin

#291 Post by gcmartin »

@Zigbert. Yes, I did. This has occurred on several occasions last couple days with the recent use in 3 different distros; 32bit and 64bit with .16 and .17 versions.

If there is other reports you want from me, I will post where you indicate I should. The 5 64bit PC&Laptops I have are almost a decade old.

gcmartin

#292 Post by gcmartin »

Additional findings:Image
PPM Seamonkey addition is missing libs

HDMI on NUC6i7KYK has video but no sound. Already reported, but, if this info is helpful, I am including it:

zigbert

#293 Post by zigbert »

I looked through DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS and found these packages...
Why are these required?

Code: Select all

yes|cdparanoia|cdparanoia|exe,dev,doc,nls
yes|libcdio-paranoia|libcdio-paranoia|exe,dev,doc,nls
yes|bacon||exe
yes|libid3tag|libid3tag|exe,dev,doc,nls
yes|normalize|normalize|exe,dev,doc,nls

gcmartin

#294 Post by gcmartin »

Mick, as you move to Beta, check PM.

Sailor Enceladus

#295 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

zigbert wrote:I looked through DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS and found these packages...
Why are these required?

yes|cdparanoia|cdparanoia|exe,dev,doc,nls
yes|libcdio-paranoia|libcdio-paranoia|exe,dev,doc,nls
yes|bacon||exe
yes|libid3tag|libid3tag|exe,dev,doc,nls
yes|normalize|normalize|exe,dev,doc,nls
I guess you have been following this? I don't know if anything still needs Bacon in Slacko 6.9.6.1 or its repository, if so I think the file /usr/bin/bacon can be moved to the devx though (as it seems to need the /usr/share/BaCon files and cc files from there to compile anyway). I actually liked the bacon welcome1stboot design more though, it had bigger writing and felt more inviting.

Insomniacno1

#296 Post by Insomniacno1 »

Hi 01micko, good news. I got to the desktop on this 32bit Slacko. Touchscreen works - but not good to use as its extremely hard to hit anything, so it would be better with keyboard/mouse attached. My USB hub is out at a friends place(he is trying to find a power adapter) so can't test that right now, but here is the HW and followed by my procedure:

Odys WinTab 8 is an 8" Windows 8.1 Tablet powered by Intels Bay Trail-T platform with an Intel Atom Z3735E quadcore 64bit processor. Built in is a microSDHC slot for expansion of storage of up to 32GB. 1GB of RAM. 1 microUSB port which is host(OTG) capable and a 3.5mm headphone jack.

Manufacturer Odys
Model name Wintab 8
CPU type Intel Atom Z3735E
CPU speed 1330 Mhz
Graphics Intel HD (Gen 7 Baytrail)
Fanless YES
OS Microsoft Windows 8.1
Display Size 8.0" 1280 X 800
Screen Type LED-Backlit LCD
Touchscreen type Multi-touch
RAM 1024 MB
SSD 16 GB
Battery capacity 16 Wh
802.11 b/g/n
BT 4.0
No Wireless WAN (e.g. 3G cellular)

32bit UEFI bios

The bios can be accessed by holding both volume buttons while turning on the tablet, so you don't have to boot to windows first. Secure boot and quick boot is turned off by me.

The partition scheme is as follows:

1. 100MB EFI
2. Windows C: - Windows 8.1 with bing - 9.30GB with 3.20GB free
3. Recovery - 5.15GB used

Seems to be using Wimboot.

Procedure(with allot of help from people here):

I used mkusb to wipe my usb(Sandisk 32GB Dual USB drive, usb 2.0) totally, then gdisk to zap GPT partition table and remove MBR. Then partitioned and formatted with Gparted to Fat32 and made boot flag - and extracted Ted Dog's uefi.zip to the usb drive and copied slacko iso files to the usb, the edited grub.cfg with geany and added

kernel vmlinuz  pmedia=usbflash i915.modeset=0
made sure everything were as suppose to.

Files on usb :

devx_slacko_6.9.6.1.sfs
fdrv_slacko_6.9.6.1.sfs
puppy_slacko_6.9.6.1.sfs
zdrv_slacko_6.9.6.1.sfs
drivers (folder)
grub.cfg
Shellx64.efi
EFI (folder)
initrd.gz
slacko-6.9.6.1-uefi (folder)
keys (folder)
slacko-6.9.6.1-uefi.iso

Added the renamed grubia32.efi, now bootia32.efi to /EFI/boot/

Unmount the usb and eject it.

Then boot to Tablets boot manager, and choose boot options.
Choose EFI USB Device

I get the boot menu were I can choose slacko-6.9.6.1-uefi.iso

I choose slacko-6.9.6.1-uefi.iso then it starts booting and find the required .sfs files and goes to desktop.

The 64bit did the same but hanged after reaching the desktop.

I have sent you pm with a link to a file that contains my setup, just extract it to a "clean" Fat32 formatted usb with boot flag. You should add devx yourself. Let me know when you have downloaded it so i can remove it from Dropbox:)

For anyone interested, they can follow my efforts here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=108295

sszindian

Slacko64 Alpha 3

#297 Post by sszindian »

FYI

It appears Slacko64 Alpha 3 has taken care of the HP printing issue!

Installed hplip package from PPM... printer and scanner both work now on my HP 1050 All-In-One.

On with testing........

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

01micko

#298 Post by 01micko »

gyro wrote:
1. Major problems displaying application windows, e.g. geany.
Soloution: Add /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf file containing:

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
   Driver      "intel"
   Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa"
EndSection
I have the same problem with xenialpup.
Ok, I now see this too on my wife's mackbook air (using 'el capitan'), so I added the intel.conf and it is fixed.

I tested out a script to make a USB install for UEFI (this machine requires it - only one in the house) and it works fine on a FAT 32 stick based on jamesbonds method here.

I see Insomniaco1 has sent me something similar in a PM. I'll check it out soon.

Whatever eventuates, I'll include some sort of UEFI install to usb script in the grub-efi package in woof.

-----------------------------------

sszindian - thats good. 8). Glad you can now print. I have some troubles scanning. But I do think its my scanner (canon mp490 - old now) as it is acting up in my old slacko install too after being stable for a long while; printing is fine though.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
shot showing savefile and UEFI boot stuffs.
(46.3 KiB) Downloaded 409 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#299 Post by 01micko »

@Insomniaco1

So your problem is that you need 32 bit UEFI? That isn't good as only a small number (supposedly) require 32 bit. I suppose for final testing (in a month or 2) I can add that but for now I don't have the bandwidth to upload 3 or 4 iso images.

Anyway, attached is my pet for UEFI USB installing. As mentioned, I tested on the mackbook air and it is working acceptably. The touchpad is crap (no right click or scrolling) but I use a mouse on it anyway. Sound and wifi [bcrmsmac] worked ootb, as they have in previous slackos (before the thing needed EFI boot).
Attachments
UEFI-usb-installer-0.1-noarch.pet
Only useful if you want to boot an UEFI machine. Legacy BIOS is NOT supported.
(5.26 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

gcmartin

#300 Post by gcmartin »

@01Micko. If you have a HDMI TV, would you test a boot to it? Video has worked on the few test TVs, but, seem to be an issue with sound. Are you and anyone else experiencing sound issues over the HDMI cable to the TV's speakers?

Billtoo

#301 Post by Billtoo »

gcmartin wrote:@01Micko. If you have a HDMI TV, would you test a boot to it? Video has worked on the few test TVs, but, seem to be an issue with sound. Are you and anyone else experiencing sound issues over the HDMI cable to the TV's speakers?
I couldn't get sound on the tv speakers in Slacko64-6.9.6.1.

I have Slackware64-14.2 installed on the hard drive and sound is
working on the tv speakers.
Attachments
sound1.jpg
(45.04 KiB) Downloaded 1351 times
sound2.jpg
(38.81 KiB) Downloaded 1336 times

Billtoo

Slacko32/64 700 ALPHA 3

#302 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install to a 32gb SDHC card, pc is a macmini.

The computer is connected to a 32" TV, the cable is has a DVI connector
on one end that is connected to an adapter on the computer, the other
end of the cable has a HDMI connector plugged into the TV.

Sound is working from the TV speakers.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Slacko64 Puppy, version 6.9.6.1

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Modules requested to be loaded: dbe

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
Driver loaded (and currently in use): intel
Loaded modules: dbe dri2 extmod fbdevhw glx kbd mouse present

Actual rendering on monitor:
Resolution: 1920x1080 pixels (508x285 millimeters)
Depth: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#
Attachments
soundcard.jpg
(42.83 KiB) Downloaded 1289 times

zigbert

#303 Post by zigbert »

The 32-bit version has become my daily os. This alpha is the best Puppy produced for me.

Thank you Mick

Sage

#304 Post by Sage »

...32-bit version has become my daily os
Agreed. 32bit is the most utilitarian as it runs on (virtually) everything. Perhaps not the news micko wants to hear?!

escucha

64bit my deal

#305 Post by escucha »

recent kernel, but no default pdf works, tried Evince install from ubuntu repos.
problem says libs are not in usr/libs or not found, so can't read any pdf nor visualitze cbr, cbz my preferred comix files.
any solution?